Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review RSS Feed

138 423,458 Thu September 29, 2016

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

The SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited is the successor to the original M 40mm "pancake" lens. It is slightly smaller and 20g lighter because it lacks an aperture ring, and features improved optics.

The DA 40mm lens works perfectly on film SLR's, even with the hood.

MH-RC 49 mm
Dedicated pouch
Dedicated metal screw-on
SMC,SP
2004 to 2013
Launch Price
$220 USD
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.8 40mm Limited
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format.
The lens hood has a 30.5 mm filter thread allowing for smaller filters when the hood is mounted.
Black and silver
Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 138

Registered: May, 2010

Lens Review Date: June 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, fast focusing, sharp lens
Cons: Unpractical lens cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax k-x

I wrote this review awhile ago but never managed to post it here. So thought I'd share it with everyone.

Lens Review Date: April 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, small and small:) colours, sharpness
Cons: for the size and what it does - NONE
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

This is the smallest and the most wonderful lens I ever had. It is small, fast enough with very good sharpness. I do not know how it has been done that such a small thing can deliver so much. When you have it attached to your camera it looks first a little bit odd and you think if it is right but when you take a few shots you will figure out that you have a camera which can be kept under you jacket on your chest
Many have complained about the odd cap but I have to say that it is probably the best thing about this lens. I keep it all the time on the lens without the small part and that's it forget about it and just keep the fingers away I also use this cap on my 70mm Ltd and it does the job - your camera is all the time ready to snap.
I could compare this lens, if I may, to Nikon 35mm DX 1.8 and of course, Nikon is faster due to built in motor but is at least 5 times bigger - and ask yourself if you need that speed. If you have the right light the speed is ok so no motor needed. The difference I have noticed is in the way how this lens renders the colours, Nikon is too "flat", Tokina is much better IMHO. So, if the colours, size, sharpness and contrast are your priorities, this lens is for you but, of course, "De gustibus non disputandum est"
A few samples:

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, Image quality
Cons: Small focus ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5, K7

Not much to add to what others have said.
Incredibly small,,,Makes bodies like the K5 look strangely hybrid!
The F2.8 speed is reasonable for the size.
Focusing ring can take a little getting used to due to the thinness of the lens.
Great general all rounder.....capable of some very sharp and contrasty images....
Easy to carry in your pocket......
Recommended

Lens Review Date: March 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $365.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, fast, sharp, bokeh
Cons: Small (?), very thin focus ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Very good lens for super price.
It have a nice painting and sharp at f2.8, very sharp between f4-f8. Camera is very small with this it is realy compact and ligh. But somtimes i have a problem with realy thin focus ring.
I mean this lens worthy of the name Limited...

Some pictures:
Life Circle
Where we are
Swamp
Leafs

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Lens Review Date: February 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, sharp, fast enough
Cons: Cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-r

I received this lens about a year ago as a gift and it has replaced my body cap. It's absolutely tiny (except when compared to the XS version)! I really like the hood and the fact that it's all-metal and has a scale on it.

I prefer the color-rendition of this lens to that of other Sigma lenses I own.

Samples:

Lens Review Date: February 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: superior sharpness
Cons: screwin cap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

The only Limited I have so far. It is razor sharp and a pleasure to use.
The screw in cap is silly I think...the only negative.
I am surprised people don't talk much about this lens compared to other limiteds because it is soooo good.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Zlin

Lens Review Date: December 23, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!, small, lightweight, relatively fast
Cons: Lens cap, People may laugh at your lens.. :)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

This lens is just perfect. Build quality is great, sharpness is amazing. Only drawback is the screw lens-cap - this could be very annoying especially in moments, when you need to shoot fast.

Registered: November, 2008

Lens Review Date: December 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Solid build, autofocus, reasonable price
Cons: not that magic
New or Used: Used

I am probably one of the very few who is not enchanted by this lens. I was honestly trying to like it. Indeed, it looks cute, very small, fast, good auto focus. But the images that come out are just OK, very, very average, not what I expected from a "Limited". I would say they look sort of flat, lifeless. Of course, you may say: it's not the lens, it's the photographer. That's certainly true, but at the same time I was able to produce way more attractive photos with a basic $40 manual 28mm Rikenon lens. Frankly speaking, I do not see how this lens is better than Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 other than it is wider and DA. I finally sold this lens and I am not sorry about it. I do not want to rate this lens low -- it still a very decent product. But I won't give it a 9 or a 10 either. Just my opinion, that's it.

Location: Rolla, MO
Lens Review Date: October 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, IQ, Build, Quickshift
Cons: Size takes getting used to...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-x

The 40 was my first venture into the Pentax Limited lineup. I must admit that the first couple months I had it I was a little bit letdown by it...wasn't getting the results that I expected. But now a couple years later I can say it is my go-to lens. So much to like about this little gem.

The size is incredible. At first the small size takes some real getting used to. It feels as if you don't have a lens on the camera at all. But after you get a feel for it, the small size is incredible. Makes your camera so light...fits in about any bag you want it to.

The build is really solid. You can tell your holding a quality piece of glass. The quickshift focus is a nice feature to have (although the focus ring takes getting used to).

Love the focal range. It is a nice in betweener in my opinion. Certainly not wide...but also not too long for indoor shots. About perfect for my taste.

My copy is one of the sharpest lenses I own. Sharp across the frame. It also has really nice bokeh.

At f2.8, it certainly could be a little faster...and the focus (while really fast) can tend to hunt a bit in lower light situations...but that is being nit picky I guess.

I love this lens. It certainly has made a believer out of me on the quality of the Pentax limited lineup. Can't wait to invest in another.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Florida

Lens Review Date: October 11, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $284.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, build quality, IQ
Cons: Size (I'm stretching)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Okay, so let's cover the basics...yes, this lens IS small but that's about all you can say against it (and it's not even truly a negative). I've actually found having to adjust my hand positions has increased my stability, so all's well, as the saying goes.

On to the good stuff...

I spent months determining which lens to choose as a replacement for my DA 35/2.4 (another fantastic lens for the price), wading through reviews for zooms and primes; Sigma, Tamron, Samyang, Pentax, etc. In time, I realized my preference for primes but couldn't come to a decision regarding the DA 15, FA 14, DA 21, and DA 40. After reviewing numerous user images and lens comparisons, I found the unusual images produced by the 40/2.4 added a special something to images which I loved. Like photographic umami.

And the lens nails one of my favorite photographic aspects: bokeh. It's surprisingly good, at least IMO since I wasn't expecting much from a small prime. However, the nine blades do a beautiful job rendering OOF areas. They're beautiful and creamy, lacking any jagged edges or sharp lines. Definitely one of my favorite qualities on this little guy.

Now, I'm no pixel-peeper, but I'm very selective with my images and I've consistently gotten excellent images from this lens. I've included a few below as examples.

I can continue talking about this beauty, or I can let the images talk for themselves. So, without further ado, here they are...

I didn't do any major editing to the included photos other than minor contrast adjustments or similar. If you'd like to see more from the lens, or check out the EXIF data for these images, you can find it all on my Flickr page... http://www.flickr.com/photos/penredmac2103/

Have a great day!

Birthday Boy

Lead the Way

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Lens Review Date: October 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, IQ, handling, speed
Cons: takes getting used to - you move, not the lens
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

I've had this lens for 6 years now. Used it originally on the K10d, and now on my new K5. Simply an amazing lens. Forces YOU to move around and reconsider shots & composition, which is part of what I love about photography.

The image quality is fantastic. Always a fun lens to shoot with!

Lovely...no easy way to link to images. Not impressed.

Registered: April, 2012
Lens Review Date: September 23, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrasty, light small and inconspicuous
Cons: some pf wide open, some focus shift when stopped down
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k-5

i just love this lens, extremely good image quality, small, perfect for street photography, size and focal length wise...
Unlike others i have no problem with the cap, i also like the hood very much, i keep the hood on to protect the lens and increase contrast and there is no need to put the cap on.
mechanically its perfect, all metal construction, dumpened enough for a good feeling, has quick shift
the 9 blades are definitely a big plus and help deliver a creamy bokeh...
the autofocus is fast.. i mean very fast, thats probably because of the short throw, but i love it !
a lovely lens!

about the cons
the pf is there when wide open in extremely contrasty situations, but its managable, and stopping down slightly makes it disappear.
the focus shift is also there, but can be seen only at very close distances and it wont be much of a problem, focusing at minimum distance @f/5.6 i have to remember to move back a little bit (about 1cm) to get the sharpest result, focusing at distances more than 1m there is absolutely no problem.
the handling is so und so, it is so thin that one can't hold it like a traditional slr lens... you have to adjust your grip...

it could be wr
it could be f/2
but if it was f/2 wr it would be another lens, bulkier probably...
so for what it is, its almost perfect!

use: general use, street photography, group portraits
definitely recommended

Registered: September, 2009
Lens Review Date: July 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, lightweight, sharp, nice bokeh
Cons: A little tough to manual focus since it's a fairly tight range
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: ist DL

I checked out many photographs by members here using this lens and was very impressed. I'm primarily an urban photographer so having something light and small is very attractive. Of course the key factors are that it is good at quickly capturing candid people/street scenes. This lens succeeds at this. It also has a great bokeh once you get used to MF with it since the MF range is kind of tight. Extremely happy with this as my walk around lens.

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb image quality you’d expect in a (pro. grade) “limited” Pentax lens. Solid all metal and glass build, including the hood and cap. Fastest focusing Pentax screw-drive lens I own. Very compact and lightweight (especially being metal). Tops the scal
Cons: 40mm. This is actually a pro for street work, only a slight con for full-body group portraits (unless you can step back a few feet) and hey, I knew that going in and am still very happy to have it as is! Wish it would go another stop open, say to f2, bu
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-x

This is one of the tiniest DSLR lens I’ve ever seen and it will come in very handy for candid portraits and street shots where you want to look less “professional photographer-ish” conspicuous, and your camera to be small, light-weight, and easy to use with one hand. I wish it was a... Read my full review (with images) here: http://wp.me/p1JeRr-jw

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: June 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp even in the corners at 2.8, small and light
Cons: the cap, CA, focal 40mm "in between"
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-20

This is one of my favorite lenses, it's incredibly sharp from corner to corner. Small and light it always fits in your bag. Inexpensive for the quality it delivers, this is one of the best Pentax lenses ever in my opinion.

The only problem is the focal length. 40mm is not enough wide but not enough tele (at least in APS-C) so it's difficult to give it a use. What I do is always carry it with me as it doesn't take place on my bag and there's always an opportunity to use this amazing lens. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!