Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review RSS Feed

147 503,774 Sat January 18, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

The SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited is the successor to the original M 40mm "pancake" lens. It is slightly smaller and 20g lighter because it lacks an aperture ring, and features improved optics.

The DA 40mm lens works perfectly on film SLR's, even with the hood.

MH-RC 49 mm
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.8 40mm Limited
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★★☆ Full coverage at some F-stop and focal length combinations
Show details
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format, but with vignetting until F5.6.
The lens hood has a 30.5 mm filter thread allowing for smaller filters when the hood is mounted.

Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 147

Registered: December, 2011
Location: Los Angeles,CA.
Lens Review Date: November 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $212.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, Sharp, Contrasty, Build,
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-01

This is a fantastic lens. I recently purchased a K-01 and quickly bought this lens as its first companion. I think everybody has said it all but here are my thoughts as how it works with my K-01. It is a fantastic lens as an everyday buddy to the K-01. Small and compact, it constantly stays on the camera and I find that in most situations I can just use this one lens. It's extremely compact and packable.I love how punchy the images are and I also love it's sharp overall quality.

Now that I have a limited lens, I feel I can not go back. The overall quality of this lens is highly impressive. I can just imagine, owning a 3 lens kit, all being limited( for me think, 15mm, 40mm, and the 77mm ). If I were to get fancy, I would incorporate the 100mm macro wr for my close up work and the 31mm so I could have a standard.

Registered: October, 2013
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, nice rendering, size, build quality is amazing, colors
Cons: speed
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

You can simply glue it to your camera and shoot without worring about CA, flare, sharpness wide open or anything else. It`s also very small and light so it`s one of the best walkaround prime lenses ever made. I compared colors from 18-55wr to DA40 and while 18-55wr is very good lens DA40 colors are simply amazing. My best lens so far.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colors, size, weight, no flare, metal lens hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

Great lens!

Location: Sydney
Lens Review Date: September 8, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp!
Cons: Lens cap & hood is annoying
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-x

I can say nothing more than has already been said. A superb lens. Highly recommended.

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, bokeh, sharpness, size, construction, fast
Cons: What ? Cons ?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Kr

Simply my best lens, I love it and it is sticked to my Kr!
It is really sharp at 2.8 in the center and the IQ is like a Pro lens, I keep making my best "clichés" with it.

Lens Review Date: July 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, size, construction
Cons: lens cover easy to lose
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Bought the lens second-hand and have used it on my K-5 a lot when moving around with my bike.

Primary subjects cityscapes and street photography.

Impressed by the sharpness and image quality. Without this lens I would have missed some good photo opprtunities as I wouldn't take my K-5 out so often.

Some example photos:

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

Bought this lens brand new 3 months ago, already shot some nice pics, surprised by the sharpness & af, highly recommended

Location: Beijing, China
Lens Review Date: July 12, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Contrast, Colour
Cons: not WR?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

I really love this lens. Bought it 6 months ago I took amazing picture with it! The colour rendition is really nice (although I prefer the DA15 limited the better from this point of view) really sharp (but not as my M50 1.7). Cromatic aberration is very well control but still not as perfect as the M50 1.7.
The lens is so small that you can really take candid picture are people really do not notice you! That is probably the strongest point together with dimension weight beside the excellent image quality.
I used with a B+H 49 mm polarizer filter and the hood on it, no problem of vignetting as the lens per se cover the full frame sensor.
Autofocus is fast and accurate.

Conclusion the best-for-the-bucks lens so far.

Lens Review Date: June 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, sharp, fast AF
Cons: only f2.8, lens cap not practical
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

I have the three M50's (1.4,1.7,2) but I wanted an auto-focusing lens in similar focal range. Pictures taken with the DA40 and posted by users on the web are often not inviting, so I was hesitating at buying this lens. But at some point, I decided to go for it and here are my remarks.

Sharpness: this lens is sharp enough wide open. This might not be very surprising at f2.8 at the center of the image, but quite remarkable for extending to the border of the frame. It gets super sharp at f5.6.

The lens shows some PF in middle day scenes with very strong contrast (ex: on metallic color painted cars). But all Pentax lenses I tried do it (and it is not the right time for good shots).

The bokeh is usually good but can sometimes be busy and the discs might appear outlined, which is the reason for the 9/10.

Autofocus on the K5 is very fast.

Except for the funny/annoying lens cap, handling is nice. Small size and Quick Shift to manual focusing are big plus for me.

So I would say this lens will be your great companion. Just try it!

Registered: May, 2010

Lens Review Date: June 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, fast focusing, sharp lens
Cons: Unpractical lens cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax k-x

I wrote this review awhile ago but never managed to post it here. So thought I'd share it with everyone.

Lens Review Date: April 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, small and small:) colours, sharpness
Cons: for the size and what it does - NONE
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

This is the smallest and the most wonderful lens I ever had. It is small, fast enough with very good sharpness. I do not know how it has been done that such a small thing can deliver so much. When you have it attached to your camera it looks first a little bit odd and you think if it is right but when you take a few shots you will figure out that you have a camera which can be kept under you jacket on your chest
Many have complained about the odd cap but I have to say that it is probably the best thing about this lens. I keep it all the time on the lens without the small part and that's it forget about it and just keep the fingers away I also use this cap on my 70mm Ltd and it does the job - your camera is all the time ready to snap.
I could compare this lens, if I may, to Nikon 35mm DX 1.8 and of course, Nikon is faster due to built in motor but is at least 5 times bigger - and ask yourself if you need that speed. If you have the right light the speed is ok so no motor needed. The difference I have noticed is in the way how this lens renders the colours, Nikon is too "flat", Tokina is much better IMHO. So, if the colours, size, sharpness and contrast are your priorities, this lens is for you but, of course, "De gustibus non disputandum est"
A few samples:

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, Image quality
Cons: Small focus ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5, K7

Not much to add to what others have said.
Incredibly small,,,Makes bodies like the K5 look strangely hybrid!
The F2.8 speed is reasonable for the size.
Focusing ring can take a little getting used to due to the thinness of the lens.
Great general all rounder.....capable of some very sharp and contrasty images....
Easy to carry in your pocket......
Recommended

Lens Review Date: March 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $365.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, fast, sharp, bokeh
Cons: Small (?), very thin focus ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Very good lens for super price.
It have a nice painting and sharp at f2.8, very sharp between f4-f8. Camera is very small with this it is realy compact and ligh. But somtimes i have a problem with realy thin focus ring.
I mean this lens worthy of the name Limited...

Some pictures:
Life Circle
Where we are
Swamp
Leafs

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Lens Review Date: February 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, sharp, fast enough
Cons: Cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-r

I received this lens about a year ago as a gift and it has replaced my body cap. It's absolutely tiny (except when compared to the XS version)! I really like the hood and the fact that it's all-metal and has a scale on it.

I prefer the color-rendition of this lens to that of other Sigma lenses I own.

Samples:

Lens Review Date: February 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: superior sharpness
Cons: screwin cap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

The only Limited I have so far. It is razor sharp and a pleasure to use.
The screw in cap is silly I think...the only negative.
I am surprised people don't talk much about this lens compared to other limiteds because it is soooo good.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!