Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Review RSS Feed

96 339,081 Tue October 16, 2018

SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

The SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited is high-quality a compact telephoto "pancake" lens that is designed only for Pentax DSLR's. The lens is pictured above with the hood on.

MH-RD 49 mm
21620 (black)

Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 96

Location: Northern Virginia
Lens Review Date: October 16, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, sharp, beautiful bokeh
Cons: minimum focusing distance
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01

This is one of favorite prime lenses and it works well with my K-01. I've captured some stunning portraits with it. With the release of the HD version of this, the green band smc version, is available used for a fraction of the price that I originally paid for it brand new six years ago. And yet I still think it's worth every penny. I keep the hood on it because it's still very compact, but sometimes I remove it and just use a regular lens cap and it's a super flat pancake lens that people do not suspect to be a short telephoto. Excellent for discreet street shooting and candids! The only downside I've experienced is occasionally it will not focus because of the minimum focusing distance, so I need to step back a step. Otherwise, it's an outstanding example of the DA limited prime lens series.

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, great contrast, fast focus, small
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5II

A great little lens. It follows the DA Limited line of lenses in that it is compact and light, but not that large of an aperture (f 2.4). I bought it as a budget portrait lens but ended up getting the FA 77 soon after and never used this much. As for nature photography, I usually ended up using one of my zoom lenses but I purposely pulled this out from time to time in order to get some use out of it. Overall it has great sharpness, contrast, and colors - as expected with the rest of the DA Limiteds. I like the rendering of the FA 77 more, but this is still an excellent lens.

Here's a few of my favorites that I've taken with it:

Late Summer Sunset Through the Woods at North Park by James Baron, on Flickr

First Colors of Fall at North Park by James Baron, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2014
Lens Review Date: May 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, sharp, great colours, contrast and clarity
Cons: Long minimal focus distance, some purple fringing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-S1

For a long time, I tried to buy a used zoom to replace the 18-55 kit lens on my K-S1. I returned four lenses by Pentax, Sigma and Tamron, all because of poor optical quality. Finally, I realized that the K-S1 was designed to work best not with big and heavy zooms but with small and light primes. I already had the "plastic fantastic" 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 and decided to add the 70/2.4 Ltd. as a portrait lens.

Though I bought this lens second hand, technically it is new, because the previous owner didn't use it. The lens is small, light, beautifully made and looks great on my K-S1. It's even smaller than my other two primes. I like the hood and will keep it permanently attached.

The lens in very sharp in the centre wide open, and the edges catch up by F7.1 making it very sharp across the frame. I've never seen this level of sharpness and detail from any Bayer camera before, only from Sigma Foveon. Pixel peeper's delight!

The colours and contrast are excellent. I apply the DNG profile and colours become just perfect, no need to touch the Clarity and Vibrance sliders.

The bokeh seems nice, I haven't shot any portraits with it yet and am eager to try. The autofocus is noisy but fast and reliable. As a pleasant surprise, I found out that with this lens my K-S1 doesn't suffer from shutter shock at all, and I can confidently shoot at 1/100s.

This lens has a couple of drawbacks: very long minimal focus distance, which I expected, and some purple fringing in high contrast areas which in most cases can be corrected.

Overall excellent lens, highly recommended!

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Stockholm

Lens Review Date: July 25, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp (!), small, IQ
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

If I had to only have one lens, this would be the one. Simply great for most use. Tack sharp in the center at 2.4, gets even better stopped down. It is small, have minimal distortion and works well on my K-1 even thought it's made for APS-C.

There is something about how it renders the image I love, can't really put my finger on it.. sharpness, colours, bokeh, micro contrast just makes it a great performer.

Location: North Bohemia
Lens Review Date: July 25, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: light,small, sharp, nice flare resistance, bokeh, likes people, 3D
Cons: IMHO none..maybe some fringing here and there but nothing to worry about ;)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KS-2,K30

I rarely post reviews but this lens got me

Some samples

the lens is best outdoors and @2,4

Registered: May, 2017
Location: Kiev

Lens Review Date: May 25, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small size. Completely iron. Built-in hood.
Cons: Not the most comfortable lens hood, compared to other limited edition lenses.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

A gorgeous portrait lens! One of the best, and not only among Pentax lenses. And that's it!
The photos taken with this lens have nice warm colors. Beautiful bokeh. The lens itself is small, beautiful and easy to use.
I did not really like the built-in lens hood (but it's still better than the plastic lens hoods that need to be worn and removed every time). Also, I would like this lens to be waterproof.
But these are all trifles. Compared with the excellent photos that are obtained with this lens. For its value, a very good purchase! I advise everyone to have this lens.

Postscript: When writing a review about the lens, I noted that I recommend its "yes" for the acquisition. But after saving the message, it is automatically written "no", instead of "yes", which I wrote initially. I do not know what this is connected with. I can not fix it.

amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: February 4, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $228.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, autofocus, color rendition, bokeh
Cons: MFD
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3 and K-50

What A Lens!

I was hesitant to buy this, simply because I did not hold a lot of interest in the focal length - I have 55's, a 58, and a 90 - but nothing between and honestly did not think that the gap needed to be closed.... I figured, why not, so I bought a second-hand SMC (not HD) copy from eBay.

I was wrong, flat-out wrong. This is a great focal length and this lens will definitely be staying with me.

Let me get the one negative out of the way, so I can continue to wax poetically about this lens. The minimum focusing distance is a pain... really it is. Yes, I know it's not a macro lens, etcetera - but 27"? Really? Many shots had to be recomposed simply because I ran into the MFD.... regularly... Granted, once I was used to it, it was less of an issue (and more of just a grousing point)...

OK - done with that, back to the wax....

This lens is all about the smooooooth...the rendering, colors, bokeh, how the lens handles, all so smooth...

The technical parts are special - it's small size, like the rest of its Limited brethren, makes it a joy to use on your camera. The built-in hood works perfectly with the slip-on cap; I never felt the need to remove the hood/cap and use a generic set up on the DA70 (yes, I'm looking at you DA40 Ltd). The autofocus works as advertised, yes it is a screwdrive so not as quiet or exotic as DC or SDM, but works perfectly fine, is accurate, and quick.

But it's the colors and bokeh that make this lens a keeper for me. Throughout the month, I had to adjust colors minimally - the joy of using a Pentax lens, as they render colors closer to my true vision than any other manufacturer. Bokeh is another triumph here - almost buttery, it's so smooth - if you want bokeh balls, you got 'em; you want a DOF that just fades away, you got it.

and the pictures?

golden bokeh by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

Remy Jane by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

Remy by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

glass and light by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the rest of my album for the DA70 Limited:

my advice is similar to my other Limited lenses: buy one...

Location: Saskatoon
Lens Review Date: June 30, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: size, fast aperture, bokeh, build quality, flare resistance
Cons: purple and green fringing, not as sharp as expected
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-30

This is my second Limited lens, but unlike the DA 15, I have other lenses that overlap or are similar to this focal length that I can compare images with. After some testing, I can state this isn't the sharpest lens I own, the Tamron 90mm Macro is definitely sharper and it takes a close look to see where the DA 70 is sharper than the DA 18-135 at 68mm. It's still very good at capturing details and exceptionally good at accurately capturing colours. Even with the hood on, contrast seems to be a little soft as well, but for some situations that can be a good attribute. At 70mm and f2.4, this should be an excellent lens for head shots and its compact size shouldn't intimidate anyone. But I can't rate it a 9, it isn't THAT good.

Other comments: For its focal length, it is surprisingly resistant to flare and ghosting. Green and purple fringing is evident on some backlit shots, but that can be effectively removed in post-processing. I did some AF focus tests, after a small adjustment to correct front focus, auto-focus is quick and accurate. With its unique screw on collapsible hood and Limited build quality this is a good looking lens, if a bit quirky. Bokeh is a little hard to rate, lots of small spots of light can produce a busy bokeh, even at f2.4 and f2.8, but other backgrounds end up looking great, with indistinct blurring that doesn't draw attention to itself and enhances the in-focus subject very well. Like I said, this should be a great portrait lens.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi

Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, colorful, good build
Cons: the shade is loose
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K200D

The price is not worth with the quality, it's quite cheap but the image is absolutely gorgeous.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Lens Review Date: August 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $327.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size! Peak and wide open IQ. Build quality.
Cons: Audible auto focus?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

I was reluctant to mark it as a ten on the basis that it is possible for a lens to be better (for example silent autofocus). Ideally I would score it as a 9.5 but I feel justified rounding it up given what an amazing balance of size, performance and build this lens strikes.

If you don't care much about size then you might rate it lower (there are faster lenses around including the FA77 and 3rd party offerings) but this lens has an unbeatable strengths to size ratio!

Sharpness is impressive. Peaks at around f5.6 but still good wide open at f2.4 (I have no hesitation using it wide open, which is not the norm for me). In comparison I have a FA50 f1.4 which I like. However I most often stop the FA50 it down to around f2.4 anyway to get the sharpness and improved bokeh (mines a little nervous wide open sometimes). The DA70 is fine at f2.4 and bokeh looks great. Also renders colours that are pleasing.

As just about everyone else has said, the build is fantastic. Mine is second hand, and yes I can feel a very slight play in barrel but I have yet to handle a second hand lens that has significantly less than this. It certainly gives me the impression that it will last and if called upon will take the knocks.

Autofocus is pretty brisk and accurate on my copy. Quick shift is nice. It would be nice if AF was quieter (but then again not if it meant the lens had to be significantly bigger).

Samples:

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, buid quality, image quality
Cons: 70mm, not fast enough depending on usage, min focus distance
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k-5,K-3

I appreciated this lens a lot when I was used with the image quality of super zooms, it is small and the image quality is great. But I find this 70mm focal length too long for full body/group portraits, no long enough the head portraits, ok for head and shoulders. For Portraiture, I'd prefer fast lenses with focal length such as 35mm, 58mm and 85mm. However, I use the SMC DA 70 Ltd along with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and to be honest, the DA70Ltd is as sharp @ f2.4 as the Tamron 70-200 @ 70mm f4.

Pros:
- IQ, colors
- flat homogenous sharpness across the frame
- 100% usable wide open (f2.4)
- size and weight

Cons:
- min focus distance
- focal length for portraiture
- not so fast
- hard to make it render like a FA 77Ltd, but obviously the DA 70 Ltd render like a prime (different from zoom)

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Mission, B.C.
Lens Review Date: February 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Colours, contrast, size, build quality, sharpness
Cons: It's not the 77mm 1.8, minimum focusing distance
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

I bought my 70mm on craigslist for a steal of a deal, it was basically a throw in with another purchase because it was so beat up. The exterior was in very rough shape, with paint flaked off and scratches all over the place, but the glass looked clean. I was a little nervous about buying it, since it looked a bit like someone had used it as a hockey puck, but it still takes phenomenal pictures. I've wanted the 77mm since I started shooting Pentax, and I've rented it a few times, but I can honestly say now that I've got the 70mm, I've been (almost) cured of my desire for the 77mm. Quick shift is awesome, autofocus is fast and accurate, colours, contrast and sharpness are all great, and the build quality of the lens is wonderful. The focus ring is nicely damped, and the lens feels solidly built. It actually feels a lot like an autofocusing M series lens, which I love. It's a joy to use, easy to carry, and takes great pictures.

Oh, I should point out that the minimum focusing distance is pretty long, which can be a bit annoying. Got a little side tracked thinking about how great this lens is and forgot to mention it.

Location: Houston
Lens Review Date: November 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, metal, hood, contrasty
Cons: odd focal length, expensive
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

This is a nice looking lens that takes high contrast pictures with lovely color that are great to look at. I used it less than my other lenses, maybe because of its odd focal length. There can be some purple fringing in bright situations. The auto-focus is fast. Its a good lens and does the job well.

Sunflower Patch by michaelkchenry, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2014
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ultra sharp, no CA, colour rendition
Cons: slow
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K10D, K30

Great lens, little slow but razor sharp and great speed AF

Location: Wild-Nord-East Hungary

Lens Review Date: July 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, lightweight, picture quality is excellent
Cons: Build quality is not the real; costly
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K - 30 ; K - x

I use 5 years, most frequently and my favorite lens.
Newly of seemed, very solid building; has now loose, have noticeable wobble; but the image quality despite excellent.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!