Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Review RSS Feed

149 659,115 Mon March 9, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is a budget lens retailing for only $219.95 in the USA. This lens features SP coating. For a limited period of time, the DA 35mm was available in 12 different colors to match different camera bodies. Despite being labeled as a DA lens (as opposed to DA L), it does NOT feature quick-shift focusing, and has a plastic bayonet and no distance scale on the focusing ring.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

PH-SA49 (rectangular plastic clip-on), RH-RC49 (threaded folding rubber hood)
SMC,SP
2010 to present (in production)
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 35mm AL
21987
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★★☆ Full coverage at some F-stop and focal length combinations
Show details
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format.
One aspherical element.
Lens hood and case are not included with the lens.
Plastic lens mount.

Produced in many colors

Screwdrive AutofocusAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 149

Registered: March, 2020
Lens Review Date: March 9, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $199.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Quick focus, ease of use
Cons: None yet
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-50

Decent lens for the price, ok value for the money.

Registered: October, 2017
Location: Sale, Cheshire
Lens Review Date: January 13, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $97.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, low CA, fast focussing
Cons: Some AF noise, lack of quick shift focus, not WR
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

I initially had a 2nd hand version of this lens, which appeared to have infinity focussing problems (perhaps my calibration technique at the time was a little suspect). This was returned and I bought a new lens, which is excellent. I bought it for stills and video use in low light conditions. Initially, autofocus calibration of +7 was required, after which very sharp from f 2.4, when shooting in RAW and sharpening appropriately. Excellent colour rendition, with fast and accurate autofocus. Very resistant to flare, even without a hood, and generally very low CA. A little noise from the screw autofocus, but I have number of screw autofocus lenses, where the noise does not bother me (and they generally focus quickly on the K-3). If the autofocus speed is good, I am more concerned about the optical performance and handling.
I do have a 50mm SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 lens, but focusing using the viewfinder focus light is not always spot-on, hence the attraction of the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL, which also gives a greater depth of field.
Overall, optically, the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is excellent and amazing value for money.

Lens Review Date: January 12, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF; pleasing warm tones for portraits
Cons: Bit soft
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2; K-30

Probably the best value lens in Pentax world. Much better than DA 50mm f/1.8 with respect to AF speed, AF sound, and CA. For good results for portaits use it at f/3.2. Make sure you micro-adjust the AF. For optimum sharpness, use it at f/5.6. Good warm pleasing colour tones for portraits.

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: January 5, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, good, the start of my photography journey
Cons: busy hexagonal bokeh, but that's all.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K50, K3ii

Much better than it looks, I took my baby photos with this and began my photography journey in the process. I don't like the bokeh or the focus ring or the lack of a lens hood, but everything else is good. I don't use it much now I have better lenses but I wouldn't part with it.

Registered: May, 2008
Location: London, UK
Lens Review Date: January 1, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: Very sharp, decent contrast
Cons: I didn't "suit" my "style"
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

I had a used one for a few months some years ago when I bought it for a trip toThailand - I used it there once or twice, and the results were impressive, but as mentioned above, it doesn't "suit my style" because, for "my usage" a semi-wide angle zoom is more useful for me.

OTOH, if it suits "your style" then "go get"
PS: didn't lose much cash when I sold it on - "people" love it!

Registered: February, 2019
Lens Review Date: December 31, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: No CA, very sharp, fast focus
Cons: Screw type autofocus is louder
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K50

I recently bought a used K50 from Ebay, for $270 Canadian. It is in like new condition, only had 1100 shutter actuations when I received it and I am extremely happy with the value I received. I paired it with a newly bought 35mm f2.4 Pentax lens I purchased from AZN, for $100 USD.

I am extremely impressed with this 35mm f2.4 lens. It focuses super fast, has no CA even when I magnify the image about 40x - 50x its original capture size, and overall, the sharpness is excellent. I also like the manual focus ring. The ring doesnt have a long focus adjustment window, but it is very responsive and you can fine-tune the focus easily. The length of the lens is perfect as well. I think this lens is the bargain of the century, except it doesnt have manual aperature adjustment and the focus motor is louder than I would like.

Some additional background on my K50 purchase, just as an fyi to camera newbies who might be thinking about buying a Pentax, as that was me not too long ago:

Last winter, I bought an Optio E80 and was blown away by the fact that this old camera could outperform my new Canon ELPH 180 in picture quality. I suppose the pentax lens was superior to the canon lens, but there could be other reasons too. Anyways, I thought to myself that Pentax must make great DSLRs if their old point and shoots perform so well. So, I started thinking about buying a Pentax DSLR when the opportunity presented itself.

Perusing Ebay, I found a seller in Canada that had a mint K50 with only 1100 shutter actuations. Tax was included, shipping was included and Ebay was giving me a 10% Ebay bucks discount if I bought something in the next 24 hours. I found the K50 and pulled the trigger. It arrived shortly after and I am so impressed with how the camera handles, how it is built and how it performs.

The K50s bigger grip is SUPER COMFORTABLE. I was mislead into believing that Pentax cameras have grips that are too large, but I found the larger grip to be much better to hold than the tinier girps found on Canons and Nikons. The smaller grips cause my hand to cramp because the grip is unnaturally compressed, whereas the Pentax K50 allows me to naturally curl my fingers around the camera grip. It results in a much more comfortable, satisfying grip to hold onto. My hand doesnt hurt at all and I dont even feel like I am holding much weight. The K50 actually feels lighter to me than a Nikon D5600 because of the K50s better grip.

Next, I was further impressed with how easy the K50 is to pick up and shoot with. I didnt read the manual, yet in about 20 minutes I was able to use the camera with better efficiency than my Fuji XT100, which I have owned for over 1 month. The Fuji isnt a hard camera to master, but the Pentax is so logical and easy, I truly think anyone can enjoy using it. It makes a big difference when you dont have to think about the complexity of your camera and can just focus on taking pictures and composing your shot.

Now for image quality, the Pentax 35mm f2.4 lens I bought - brand new - for $100 USD, is spectacular for the price. I can take a photo, upload it to my computer, crop the photo and magnify it about 50x bigger than its original recording size and the crop is still without any Chromatic Abberation. The detail is also good, considering I have blown up the image 50x over and I am using a 16MP sensor instead of a 24MP sensor as found in the KP, for example.

I cant wait to get a dediated macro lens and see what my Pentax camera can do. The results, I suspect, will be phenomenal.

I wanted to say that many of the knocks against Pentax that are proclaimed by non-Pentax users turned ou to not be true. The grip is not uncomfortable and is actually the best grip I have ever used on any camera. The image quality is the best I have ever seen on any camera regardless of brand. The focus is great. The build quality is great. Almost everything is much better than I was told by those who tend to dismiss Pentax as a brand option.

The only area in which my K50 has to improve is the shutter sound and vibration. I find the K50 makes a louder than typical mirror sound and the movement causes the camera to sligtly vibrate. Having said that, with the built in IBIS, all my pictures turned out super sharp and without blur. So, I guess it doesnt much matter in the end.

Regards,

Michael

Registered: February, 2019
Lens Review Date: December 30, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, Light, Ideal focal length for a prime
Cons: No distance scale, Classic autofocus, No hood, Front cap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-S2

The Plastic Fantastic (this lens!) is extremely light, has a good look (even if it does not look like premium), and has an excellent image quality. Furthermore, 35mm on APS-C is more or less the "human eye point of view", this means that even if it is a prime, it can almost do everything as long as you zoom with your feet. Only wide landscapes and astrophotography will be out of reach with this lens. You can see that "Fantastic" is not a too strong word when it comes to this lens.

This lens is cheap (second cheapest of Pentax lens line) and have a really good image quality, so it is not a surprise that cost measures have been taken : no quick shift, no distance scale, no hood.

The front cap is rather annoying. Instead of the common center-pinch cap, here you have to put your fingers on the edge of the cap and press the buttons in order to remove the cap. It's taking a longer time and I am always worried to put my fingers on the front element. The DA 50 F1.8 (the Other Plastic Fantastic) does not have this problem. I replaced the original cap with a cheap generic 2 € center-pinch one.

Bottom line, if you want a prime for greater image quality, greater maximum aperture or just for the sake of trying prime, this one is probably the first one you should buy. And you will probably keep it and love it, like me. Well, until you buy a Limited of course.

Registered: August, 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Lens Review Date: December 23, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $89.99 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Good Clarity for Close Up Modeling Work
Cons: Does not work well with standard MACRO attachments
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

I use this for close up (face) modeling. It provides good clarity and sharp focus. For a camera manufacturer's lens it is 2x better than the kit lenses, but trails behind some equivalent lenses for add-on manufacturers. For the price point, it is a good buy for an amateur or semi-pro (which is the category I put myself in). Probably not for full time pros, as there are other, more expensive options with slightly better optics.

Registered: September, 2018
Location: Poland
Lens Review Date: December 6, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, price
Cons: for the price - nothing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

I bought this lens new in 2018 and have been using it quite a lot with my K-50. Image quality is ok wide-open (certainly usable) and very good stopped down.*The 2.4 maximum aperture is not very fast, but for the price it's fair and I've been using it wide-open in many low-light situations (like concerts).
Build quality: it has kind of plastic feel, but apart from that it seems fine - I've been treating it like every other lens and nothing bad happens. Plastic lens mount doesn't fall off *
AF works well, a bit noisy like every other screw-driven lens. Altogether I like this lens a lot and I can recommend it as an everyday prime.
A few pictures below.

F/2.4:

F/2.8

F/5.6

F/22

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Százhalombatta, Hungary

Lens Review Date: July 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $105.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, lightweight
Cons: Poor constrution, useless wide-open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K10D, K-5

I got mine second-hand when I still had my K10D. Unfortunately mine had sever back-focusing, so I had to resort to manual focusing and a split-screen on the K10D. It didn't get much love from me on that body. Then I switched to my K-5, which can store different calibration settings for different lenses and it came to life. But I still don't like it that much. The reason is that I thought a similar FOV to a 50 would be great on APS-C. Which is half-true, but unlike a nifty-fifty, this lacks a shallow depth of field, so it's not nearly as impressive or useful on APS-C. Though the lens covers the full-frame image circle, it lacks an aperture ring, so its' use is pretty much limited to a few automatic film bodies or a K-1. Forget using it on manual bodies altogether.
Construction-wise this lens is very poorly made: all plastic, even the mount and it's not internal focusing either. The focusing ring rotates while focusing, so make sure you don't hold it by the focusing ring during AF operation, or you might damage the camera/lens. Doesn't look durable either. Pretty much useless at f/2.4 for far-away subjects. Stop it down and it starts to shine: it's very sharp really. For close-ups even wide-open could be used. As a positive, it's cheap at least. It's screwdrive based, so it grinds when focusing.
Don't think that my review is biased or anything: it's a light, sharp and cheap prime and is good for... say street photography, or perhaps landscapes, just don't compare it to legacy glass quality or even higher-end primes. It's a prime kit lens.

Registered: September, 2015

Lens Review Date: March 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, weight, image quality
Cons: AF, fringing, axial CA, cheap
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 2    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-r, K5ii

This was my 1st lens upgrade after DAL 18-55 kit lense. Image quality improvement is noticable and lens was long my favorite. It gives you 1st sense of pro lens after you get a camera. I use it on K-r and shot a few paid jobs with it. It enables better image quality in low light, with it's f2.4 apperture.

It is lightweight and gives very good image quality. Plastic mount never wasa problem. It have that chep press-on back lens cap which I replaced with twist one from eBay. What a difference - but that costed 10% of the lenss

It is great lens until you experience better. Lens have quite pronounced purple fringing (which is easy correctable), but also annoying axial chromatic abberation (which is not correctable). Shooting with shallow DOF on rough/contrasty surfcace at angle it is affected by axial CA. Product shot on rough suirface at strong light will be affected. For normal street or portrait shooting it is not and issue.

Autofocus:
Bad AF reminded me to review this lens, because it enjoys so overstated score regarding AF. It is so unreliable in less than perfect light and it hunts, or just locks out focus, especially on moving people. AF needs really steady target to lock properly. Similar mediocre AF performance can ebe expected from DA 70 mm F2.4 limited, which have even better score regarding AF. Both lenses utterly sucks in low light enviroment in comparison to even cheaper DA 50 mm F1.8 which is my now favorite lense, since it is REALIABLE and give me consistent results - but it have the worst score for AF among the three. It just locks fast accuratelly whether 35/2.4 or 70/2.4 will hunt and fail. It hase the worst AF performence of all lenses I ever had.

It is noticably faster than DAL 18-55, but it is re-fining focus a lot with quite some delay in between - so in the end focus procedure takes longer than on DAL 18-55 and it often fails, where 18-55 or 50-200 just locks in the first attempt correctly. This is no problem for taking pictures of monuments, but for moving people it is. DA50/1.8 surprisingly have no issues at all. It just locks with minimal or no corrections. No several AF presses to focus, no frustration.

Do I reccomend this lens:
DA35/2.4AL is fun lense and can give nice results but AF is of type that brought Pentax bad reputation. If your eyes allow accurate AF or you will use it in LV or AF is not your main concern, this is great lens. But for enyone expecting to have AF at least usable in a live event as late night dance, this lens is not for him.

Registered: July, 2017
Location: Tbilisi
Lens Review Date: November 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, Bokeh, Colors
Cons: Resolution, Unimpressive Photos (No "Character"), Fringing
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K50

Been a while that I could buy this lens, so this will be a large one.

First I should tell some about me so that you can know how you should read it: I have been using only the manual Takumar 3.5/35, Helios 2/58, and M3.5/28 for a really long while. I was sick of the shots that I missed because of poor focusing, or having to focus every second for even the least important shots. I would love to have a 24-70 (as we all would do, I believe) for the focal length, or 1.4/50 or 1.8/77 for their amazing micro-contrast and real photos, yet I could hardly afford 100 dollars and this is all I could get.

Comparison: Takumar 3.5 vs Pentax 2.4

I have to admit, I love the images that Takumar produces. When you nail the focus, 9/10 times you'll find a wonderful pop of your subject. The colors, the way that it renders shadows, the resolutive power...

It is the best lens that I could have owned so far and except its poor maximum aperture, I could compare it to Summilux 1.4/35 with no hesitation. It is really an amazing piece of glass, maybe one of the very few Japanese glasses that can compare with the "superior German quality" as we call in my country.

This little guy, as its price suggests, is nothing close to that and when I have time, I would prefer Takumar on my camera. Both of the lenses need some PP so I would prefer a 3D pop over a "still image".

Now let's start with this guy...

3D Capability
Little to none. I have been trying to fins some setting in which it can produce those stunning photos, but there is no chance to do that. Some very few photos had this quality in them, yet they were just few exceptions and were not really "popping". This is a huge dealbreaker for me, as it was the reason that I had my Takumar on 9/10 times except when I was to do portraits, and makes me "cold" towards this lens.

Resolution Power
Unlike many "modern" people, I do not do pixel-peeping. It is an utterly unnecessary and, for me, stupid practice. In the best case, we look at our photos at the regular screen size, or a bit bigger (maybe 2000px most?), and that is what almost any of us need (except few who would not use this lens anyway).

I shoow RAW normally, and I am mainly against reducing noise. My Takumar gives me photos at 6400 ISO at K-50, and I can use them in color even with no worries. It has amazing resolution power. This guy though, with its coating and supposedly better optical formula, makes me doubt if I should go up to 1600. I am supposed to be able to use 6400 as well with this, no? Or it should at least compete with Takumar? But it does not.

Does it mean that it produces noisy photos always? Well, for me yeah. Either my eyes are so used to the noise of Takumar, or my copy is bad. Because I do not want to believe that at 1600 ISO this guy produces noticeable and disturbing noise.

The lens is fairly sharp for its price. Half of my photos are "sharp", and the other half are sharp. By "sharp", I mean good enough for an image yet not as it should be for a good photo. So the other half are, well, "cream of the bunch". I yearn for the quality of 1.8/77, absolutely no questions.

Here I should repeat: I look at the frame overall, I do not pixel-peep. So if a frame is sharp, then it looks sharp the way that it is not cutting-edge sharp but it is as sharp as it should be. The more it resembles reality, the better it is. This guy fails me in that sense too. Not that it is bad for the buck, but it is bad for what it should do if Takumar is a rival of it.

Not the best, not the worst. There are times, especially in B&W shots /and comparably closer shots, it looks pretty fine. I do not have much complaints with it.

Colors
Well well, we like Pentax because of its colors. Right?

I tend to warm the colors some (a lot?) so that it gets closer to Pentax colors. I need to increase saturation almost always even after dehazing, and this is a negative thing for me. When I was shooting JPEG though, just dehazing and adjusting the colors some helped most of the time. So it is not bad I believe.

Haze, Flair, Fringing
I hate the fact that I need to dehaze even with a new lens, which makes me wonder if there is any lens with which I can shoot JPEG with twisting the in-camera settings and using SOOC photos.

It is rather good with flair and I never had a problem with except one or two shots over around 500 (or 700 shots).

When full open, the lens suffers from fringing, both green and purple, whenever it can and it goes at f4 or later generally. This is a very weak point of this lens and a disappointment for me.

Focus
Generally good, sometimes front-focusing, sometimes back-focusing. Probably the 2.4 vs 2.8 case makes it problematic. Not bad though. Not bad at all.

Some people here mentioned about the sound of the screwdriver but come on, the camera makes a huge sound while shooting anyway and the screwdriver does not make more noise than that. What's the whim?

It is fast enough on K50, and apparently on K5-ii (and in later models) it is even faster. I did not have problems though. I shoot portraits or still images almost always, so I do not know how it would be with action.

B&W
This lens is not made for shooting B&W. I love to shoot B&W yet this lens forces me to turn to color. Its rendering of shadows is not good enough as I said, yet there is something with its blacks too. There sure is something wrong with it.

As a Result...
I have said bad stuff above but it is because I compared it to one of Pentax's best lenses (and my expectations as a result). But given that I paid 100 dollars overall (including shipment to Georgia, the country in the Caucasus, from the US), it does not do a bad job at all and if I was making money in dollars, given the little amount that I'd have thrown for this lens, I'd even say that this is good. But, again, after using an amazing glass for a long while, it did upset me some.

It produces decent images. You will not regret them. It is definitely better than the kit 18-55, which is not a lens even, and an okay toy to play with, but do not expect wonderful results from it. It will give you fine enough images, but not photographs as Takumar or Helios does. Yeah it does its job but nothing more.

Registered: March, 2017
Lens Review Date: August 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, compact
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

I have it on my camera for 90% of time. It can deliver excellent sharp pictures with nice colours. It was the first prime I bought as new and it was a good investment.

Registered: May, 2015

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5II

For 150euro this lens is awesome.

It is made from plastic, but a good quality one. It is very light, very small and does an excellent job.

Sharp, great bokeh at 2.8 and very nice colours.

I also own Pentax DA 16-50 f2.8 and even the 35mm is 5 times cheaper, it ca be compared with the 16-50/f2.8 at 35mm focal legh.

I can say is a great lens for holiday when you want a light camera on your shoulder that could take awesome pics.

I have attached some photos.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Lens Review Date: July 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $169.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, compact, sharp
Cons: Plastic lens mount

I bought this lens as a "walk-around" lens for my K-X. With that body, it makes a very light weight, compact assembly. The image quality is great, I have nothing bad to say about it. Especially for the price1
Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!