Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Review RSS Feed

136 595,277 Mon August 13, 2018

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is a budget lens retailing for only $219.95 in the USA. This lens features SP coating. For a limited period of time, the DA 35mm was available in 12 different colors to match different camera bodies. Despite being labeled as a DA lens (as opposed to DA L), it does NOT feature quick-shift focusing, and has a plastic bayonet and no distance scale on the focusing ring.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

PH-SA49 (rectangular plastic clip-on), RH-RC49 (threaded folding rubber hood)
SMC,SP
2010 to present (in production)
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 35mm AL
21987
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format.
One aspherical element.
Lens hood and case are not included with the lens.
Plastic lens mount.

Produced in many colors

Screwdrive AutofocusAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 136

Registered: May, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5II

For 150euro this lens is awesome.

It is made from plastic, but a good quality one. It is very light, very small and does an excellent job.

Sharp, great bokeh at 2.8 and very nice colours.

I also own Pentax DA 16-50 f2.8 and even the 35mm is 5 times cheaper, it ca be compared with the 16-50/f2.8 at 35mm focal legh.

I can say is a great lens for holiday when you want a light camera on your shoulder that could take awesome pics.

I have attached some photos.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Lens Review Date: July 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $169.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, compact, sharp
Cons: Plastic lens mount

I bought this lens as a "walk-around" lens for my K-X. With that body, it makes a very light weight, compact assembly. The image quality is great, I have nothing bad to say about it. Especially for the price1

Registered: July, 2016
Lens Review Date: June 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, reasonably fast, light, accurate, simple bokeh
Cons: Not weather sealed.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

For me, "for the money" usually means I can afford to try one. I was given this lens for my birthday and it now stays on my k-50 except for birding and wildlife shots. The "cheap plastic" lens on my "cheap plastic" camera that weighs less than my g1x "compact" makes it a goto for just about everything now.

This is about a 1:1 crop

Location: Dorset , UK
Lens Review Date: June 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price and image quality
Cons: none at this price point !
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

unbelievably cheap lens (Ł60.-) !
AF is noisy on Pentax K-70 but quite fast and accurate.
IQ is great at f5.6 and f8 and it focuses quite close !

Should be in every Pentax bag (-:

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Light, cheap, sharp
Cons: Slow, bad bokeh, no quick shift, plastic, not WR
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KP, K-30

This lens has a good image quality even wide open, but the aperture is too slow for a prime lens. It can't produce a decent bokeh. I've got it as a wider alternative to my DA50, but it doesn't work. While it was good for landscapes or buildings, it wasn't good for street portraits or indoor full body portraits. The separation wasn't enough.

My main problem was that I could produce near the same quality with an F2.8 zoom lens. The Tamron 17-50 for example small enough to give an alternative to this lens.

Here are some examples:
IMG170616_0001 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170617_0004 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0408 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0374 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0411 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170604_0474 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $98.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Fast Cheap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

Just picked up a used copy for under $100.00 Excellent walk around lens on my K3. It's very sharp and fast. Love the focal length. Might become my new favorite.

Shot taken hand held with K3 Jpeg.

Registered: March, 2018
Lens Review Date: April 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: contrast, flare resistance, sharpness, price and bokeh
Cons: Vignetting wide open, minor CA, sometimes busy bokeh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Sony a7

I like this lens a lot on a Sony a7. It is really sharp and contrasty wide open. When stopped down the sharpness is nearly excellent across the frame. For an APS-C lens this is quite remarkable. It vignettes wide open, but the sharpness in the corners isn't that bad.
The bokeh is good but under some circumstances it can be a bit too busy.

Registered: January, 2018
Lens Review Date: January 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price, general image quality
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1, K-7

I have seen several of these lenses for sale recently with very attractive prices. I picked one at 65 EUR and have seen several other copies at equally low price point. Another deciding factor was that, although a DA series lens, it has been reported as being useful with K-1 at full frame mode as well.

Admittedly, with K-1 in FF, there is some vignetting. I have made no systematic test with see how much or at which f stop. However, my judgement is that this lens is still useful with K-1 for many purposes. I am attaching a f/4.5 image to show some rather obvious vignetting in the image. Still - I have seen some worse examples of vignetting in crop sensor cameras with DA lenses. It is controllable with this lens, if you can avoid situations where you will need to increase the contrast in post processing (as that will bring the vignetting more clearly visible).

With a crop sensor camera, I most recently shot at f/8 and the image quality is superb. Probably it is so even at larger apertures as well. Where I live, it often rains, so this is not going to be my most typical walkaround lens, but clearly this is a very good lens with any of the crop sensor bodies.

Registered: September, 2014
Location: Nelson
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $121.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, price and price.
Cons: None.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

There's a bit of a cult that's developed around this particular lens. I was sceptical (as I am by nature) until I used it. Colour, contrast and ability to resolve detail are just superb at any price point. As a low light indoors option it's a honey

Handheld @ ISO1600, jpg straight from camera.

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado
Lens Review Date: September 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, inexpensive, paint
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1, Kr

The DA35/2.4 that I have is white. It seems to be expensive and rare, but I managed to get a new one cheap. Great match for my K-r, which is also white. Optically, it is very good, even on full frame K1. This lens and its cousin DA50/1.8 are of amazing values!

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Lens Review Date: June 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $182.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, aberration control, good enough bokeh, so light!
Cons: None, especially for the price! But I do wish it was f2 or f1.8.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20D, K-r, K10D, K-S1

For the price of this lens, it has to be a 10. Even more expensive lenses can have some some qualities that make them more desirable (FA 31 Limited and Sigma 30 1.4 Art come to mind), but what the DA 35 2.4 accomplishes having such a light weight, is to me just incredible.
I love putting it on a camera and just walking around with it all day, it is so light that I forget I have it around my neck or on my shoulder.
Perfectly sharp wide open, fast AF, fit is really good on every camera I've had it on. By f/2.8 it's ridiculously sharp. If I could only have one lens, I think it would be this one - and I have the Sigma 30 1.4 which is also an excellent lens... but quite a bit heavier.
The best pictures of my family were taken with this lens, so I am quite fond of it.

Examples wide open:
igreja săo roque órgăo by ChristianRock, on Flickr
A Confused Pancake by ChristianRock, on Flickr

f4
pink2 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

f/7.1
pescadores by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: April 28, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, I.Q.
Cons: No quickshift, no hood
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30

Very sharp, very light, cheap.
The sharpness is 'only' good at full aperture at the center, but is as good on the edges (rare).
Very good everywhere at 3.4, excellent above 3.4.
Quickshift is sorely missed, as well as a hood (telescopic or bayonet would be great).

Registered: September, 2014
Lens Review Date: April 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Cheap, IQ
Cons: poor focus ring, build
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Samsung NX1

Good IQ also wide open, cheap if buy used, indecent costruction but for low price. Plastic mf is hard to use
photo at wide open crop no pp

Registered: December, 2013
Lens Review Date: January 12, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light, cheap, great general IQ.
Cons: No Quick Shift.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k30

I am growing in my appreciation off this lens.

I was shooting in Ireland, and found that the greens (of which there are plenty in Ireland) could sometimes look a bit garish. Generally I wasn't convinced by the realism of the colours. So when I found a 35mm 2.8 macro limited going cheap, I snapped it up, thinking I would sell the 2.4. However, I found with the limited, that oddly blues seem to boom out quite a bit! Maybe my eyes are going funny! Or maybe it's the white balance on my k30, which somehow has never been as convincing as my old k100d.....?

Anyway, the 2.4 is always sharp. It gives great clarity, and I find that its transitions, micro contrast, or whatever you want to call it, are very natural looking. I love the fact that both 35's are almost distortion free, and are superb for pano-stitching. The limited is perhaps a fraction more '3D'.

But with a possible move to FF on the cards, I have a nice (ridiculously sharp!) A 35-105mm 3.5 which compares pretty well, giving more of that "classic movie" colour balance that the previous reviewer referred to. So with a preference also for a longer macro, the punchy 2.4 might actually be the keeper of the two; allowing me to swap for a tiny 40mm limited to keep on the APSC as a put in your pocket point and shoot....maybe? Choices, choices. None of which break the bank! Don't let people tell you there are no Pentax lens options!

Registered: November, 2016
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, sharpness, versatility, portability
Cons: Build, focus, color rendition
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax Kx

This little lens is great for anyone who wants a fast normal prime for general use (2.4 may not be really fast, but is its enough for my photography). It is very lightweight, quite compact, plus the 35mm give you a lot of flexibility and you can always bring it with the camera as a general walk around lens or an addition to another lens. Very fast focus, very sharp, and 2.4 aperture give you enough speed in most situation. And with the price (I paid 90$ for an used one in very good condition), I see no reason not to recommend it.

Now, for the things I do not like, this is very personal, so you may find it important or not:

- Build: for a plastic lens it is very well build, and you don't find it cheaply at all. However I have used only old manual Pentax lens before with metal build and great handling with aperture ring and focusing ring, and I have been spoiled by them, so if you like metal build, or you enjoy handling them, you won't find it the same with this little lens.

- Auto focus: while very fast, sometime my pictures are slightly back focus, sometime I have to point the camera out of the subject, and point it again to refocus, this happens only occasionally so I don't know if it is due to the lens, or due to my camera, or all autofocus lens are like that. It is nevertheless a problem.

- Color rendition: this lens give you a very sharp and colorful picture, if you like the "film" look, or "classic" look that limited lens give you, this colorfulness maybe a little bit too much. It would be great for shooting festival, market however.

- At 2.4 the camera use to underexpose and I have to compensate 0.7 EV

Still all of those problems may not matter at all, and I still find it a very good lens.

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!