Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Review RSS Feed

138 610,222 Mon November 19, 2018

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is a budget lens retailing for only $219.95 in the USA. This lens features SP coating. For a limited period of time, the DA 35mm was available in 12 different colors to match different camera bodies. Despite being labeled as a DA lens (as opposed to DA L), it does NOT feature quick-shift focusing, and has a plastic bayonet and no distance scale on the focusing ring.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

PH-SA49 (rectangular plastic clip-on), RH-RC49 (threaded folding rubber hood)
SMC,SP
2010 to present (in production)
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 35mm AL
21987
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format.
One aspherical element.
Lens hood and case are not included with the lens.
Plastic lens mount.

Produced in many colors

Screwdrive AutofocusAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 138

Registered: July, 2017
Lens Review Date: November 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, Bokeh, Colors
Cons: Resolution, Unimpressive Photos (No "Character"), Fringing
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K50

Been a while that I could buy this lens, so this will be a large one.

First I should tell some about me so that you can know how you should read it: I have been using only the manual Takumar 3.5/35, Helios 2/58, and M3.5/28 for a really long while. I was sick of the shots that I missed because of poor focusing, or having to focus every second for even the least important shots. I would love to have a 24-70 (as we all would do, I believe) for the focal length, or 1.4/50 or 1.8/77 for their amazing micro-contrast and real photos, yet I could hardly afford 100 dollars and this is all I could get.

Comparison: Takumar 3.5 vs Pentax 2.4

I have to admit, I love the images that Takumar produces. When you nail the focus, 9/10 times you'll find a wonderful pop of your subject. The colors, the way that it renders shadows, the resolutive power...

It is the best lens that I could have owned so far and except its poor maximum aperture, I could compare it to Summilux 1.4/35 with no hesitation. It is really an amazing piece of glass, maybe one of the very few Japanese glasses that can compare with the "superior German quality" as we call in my country.

This little guy, as its price suggests, is nothing close to that and when I have time, I would prefer Takumar on my camera. Both of the lenses need some PP so I would prefer a 3D pop over a "still image".

Now let's start with this guy...

3D Capability
Little to none. I have been trying to fins some setting in which it can produce those stunning photos, but there is no chance to do that. Some very few photos had this quality in them, yet they were just few exceptions and were not really "popping". This is a huge dealbreaker for me, as it was the reason that I had my Takumar on 9/10 times except when I was to do portraits, and makes me "cold" towards this lens.

Resolution Power
Unlike many "modern" people, I do not do pixel-peeping. It is an utterly unnecessary and, for me, stupid practice. In the best case, we look at our photos at the regular screen size, or a bit bigger (maybe 2000px most?), and that is what almost any of us need (except few who would not use this lens anyway).

I shoow RAW normally, and I am mainly against reducing noise. My Takumar gives me photos at 6400 ISO at K-50, and I can use them in color even with no worries. It has amazing resolution power. This guy though, with its coating and supposedly better optical formula, makes me doubt if I should go up to 1600. I am supposed to be able to use 6400 as well with this, no? Or it should at least compete with Takumar? But it does not.

Does it mean that it produces noisy photos always? Well, for me yeah. Either my eyes are so used to the noise of Takumar, or my copy is bad. Because I do not want to believe that at 1600 ISO this guy produces noticeable and disturbing noise.

The lens is fairly sharp for its price. Half of my photos are "sharp", and the other half are sharp. By "sharp", I mean good enough for an image yet not as it should be for a good photo. So the other half are, well, "cream of the bunch". I yearn for the quality of 1.8/77, absolutely no questions.

Here I should repeat: I look at the frame overall, I do not pixel-peep. So if a frame is sharp, then it looks sharp the way that it is not cutting-edge sharp but it is as sharp as it should be. The more it resembles reality, the better it is. This guy fails me in that sense too. Not that it is bad for the buck, but it is bad for what it should do if Takumar is a rival of it.

Not the best, not the worst. There are times, especially in B&W shots /and comparably closer shots, it looks pretty fine. I do not have much complaints with it.

Colors
Well well, we like Pentax because of its colors. Right?

I tend to warm the colors some (a lot?) so that it gets closer to Pentax colors. I need to increase saturation almost always even after dehazing, and this is a negative thing for me. When I was shooting JPEG though, just dehazing and adjusting the colors some helped most of the time. So it is not bad I believe.

Haze, Flair, Fringing
I hate the fact that I need to dehaze even with a new lens, which makes me wonder if there is any lens with which I can shoot JPEG with twisting the in-camera settings and using SOOC photos.

It is rather good with flair and I never had a problem with except one or two shots over around 500 (or 700 shots).

When full open, the lens suffers from fringing, both green and purple, whenever it can and it goes at f4 or later generally. This is a very weak point of this lens and a disappointment for me.

Focus
Generally good, sometimes front-focusing, sometimes back-focusing. Probably the 2.4 vs 2.8 case makes it problematic. Not bad though. Not bad at all.

Some people here mentioned about the sound of the screwdriver but come on, the camera makes a huge sound while shooting anyway and the screwdriver does not make more noise than that. What's the whim?

It is fast enough on K50, and apparently on K5-ii (and in later models) it is even faster. I did not have problems though. I shoot portraits or still images almost always, so I do not know how it would be with action.

B&W
This lens is not made for shooting B&W. I love to shoot B&W yet this lens forces me to turn to color. Its rendering of shadows is not good enough as I said, yet there is something with its blacks too. There sure is something wrong with it.

As a Result...
I have said bad stuff above but it is because I compared it to one of Pentax's best lenses (and my expectations as a result). But given that I paid 100 dollars overall (including shipment to Georgia, the country in the Caucasus, from the US), it does not do a bad job at all and if I was making money in dollars, given the little amount that I'd have thrown for this lens, I'd even say that this is good. But, again, after using an amazing glass for a long while, it did upset me some.

It produces decent images. You will not regret them. It is definitely better than the kit 18-55, which is not a lens even, and an okay toy to play with, but do not expect wonderful results from it. It will give you fine enough images, but not photographs as Takumar or Helios does. Yeah it does its job but nothing more.

Registered: March, 2017
Lens Review Date: August 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, compact
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

I have it on my camera for 90% of time. It can deliver excellent sharp pictures with nice colours. It was the first prime I bought as new and it was a good investment.

Registered: May, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5II

For 150euro this lens is awesome.

It is made from plastic, but a good quality one. It is very light, very small and does an excellent job.

Sharp, great bokeh at 2.8 and very nice colours.

I also own Pentax DA 16-50 f2.8 and even the 35mm is 5 times cheaper, it ca be compared with the 16-50/f2.8 at 35mm focal legh.

I can say is a great lens for holiday when you want a light camera on your shoulder that could take awesome pics.

I have attached some photos.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Lens Review Date: July 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $169.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light weight, compact, sharp
Cons: Plastic lens mount

I bought this lens as a "walk-around" lens for my K-X. With that body, it makes a very light weight, compact assembly. The image quality is great, I have nothing bad to say about it. Especially for the price1

Registered: July, 2016
Location: Patrick Co. Virginia
Lens Review Date: June 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, reasonably fast, light, accurate, simple bokeh
Cons: Not weather sealed.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

For me, "for the money" usually means I can afford to try one. I was given this lens for my birthday and it now stays on my k-50 except for birding and wildlife shots. The "cheap plastic" lens on my "cheap plastic" camera that weighs less than my g1x "compact" makes it a goto for just about everything now.
edit: It does not focus quite to infinity on stars(hits end stop) which is a minor bummer.

This is about a 1:1 crop

Location: Dorset , UK
Lens Review Date: June 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price and image quality
Cons: none at this price point !
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

unbelievably cheap lens (Ł60.-) !
AF is noisy on Pentax K-70 but quite fast and accurate.
IQ is great at f5.6 and f8 and it focuses quite close !

Should be in every Pentax bag (-:

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Light, cheap, sharp
Cons: Slow, bad bokeh, no quick shift, plastic, not WR
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KP, K-30

This lens has a good image quality even wide open, but the aperture is too slow for a prime lens. It can't produce a decent bokeh. I've got it as a wider alternative to my DA50, but it doesn't work. While it was good for landscapes or buildings, it wasn't good for street portraits or indoor full body portraits. The separation wasn't enough.

My main problem was that I could produce near the same quality with an F2.8 zoom lens. The Tamron 17-50 for example small enough to give an alternative to this lens.

Here are some examples:
IMG170616_0001 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170617_0004 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0408 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0374 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170603_0411 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170604_0474 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $98.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Fast Cheap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

Just picked up a used copy for under $100.00 Excellent walk around lens on my K3. It's very sharp and fast. Love the focal length. Might become my new favorite.

Shot taken hand held with K3 Jpeg.

Registered: March, 2018
Lens Review Date: April 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: contrast, flare resistance, sharpness, price and bokeh
Cons: Vignetting wide open, minor CA, sometimes busy bokeh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Sony a7

I like this lens a lot on a Sony a7. It is really sharp and contrasty wide open. When stopped down the sharpness is nearly excellent across the frame. For an APS-C lens this is quite remarkable. It vignettes wide open, but the sharpness in the corners isn't that bad.
The bokeh is good but under some circumstances it can be a bit too busy.

Registered: January, 2018
Lens Review Date: January 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price, general image quality
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1, K-7

I have seen several of these lenses for sale recently with very attractive prices. I picked one at 65 EUR and have seen several other copies at equally low price point. Another deciding factor was that, although a DA series lens, it has been reported as being useful with K-1 at full frame mode as well.

Admittedly, with K-1 in FF, there is some vignetting. I have made no systematic test with see how much or at which f stop. However, my judgement is that this lens is still useful with K-1 for many purposes. I am attaching a f/4.5 image to show some rather obvious vignetting in the image. Still - I have seen some worse examples of vignetting in crop sensor cameras with DA lenses. It is controllable with this lens, if you can avoid situations where you will need to increase the contrast in post processing (as that will bring the vignetting more clearly visible).

With a crop sensor camera, I most recently shot at f/8 and the image quality is superb. Probably it is so even at larger apertures as well. Where I live, it often rains, so this is not going to be my most typical walkaround lens, but clearly this is a very good lens with any of the crop sensor bodies.

Registered: September, 2014
Location: Nelson
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $121.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, price and price.
Cons: None.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

There's a bit of a cult that's developed around this particular lens. I was sceptical (as I am by nature) until I used it. Colour, contrast and ability to resolve detail are just superb at any price point. As a low light indoors option it's a honey

Handheld @ ISO1600, jpg straight from camera.

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado
Lens Review Date: September 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, inexpensive, paint
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1, Kr

The DA35/2.4 that I have is white. It seems to be expensive and rare, but I managed to get a new one cheap. Great match for my K-r, which is also white. Optically, it is very good, even on full frame K1. This lens and its cousin DA50/1.8 are of amazing values!

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Lens Review Date: June 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $182.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, aberration control, good enough bokeh, so light!
Cons: None, especially for the price! But I do wish it was f2 or f1.8.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20D, K-r, K10D, K-S1

For the price of this lens, it has to be a 10. Even more expensive lenses can have some some qualities that make them more desirable (FA 31 Limited and Sigma 30 1.4 Art come to mind), but what the DA 35 2.4 accomplishes having such a light weight, is to me just incredible.
I love putting it on a camera and just walking around with it all day, it is so light that I forget I have it around my neck or on my shoulder.
Perfectly sharp wide open, fast AF, fit is really good on every camera I've had it on. By f/2.8 it's ridiculously sharp. If I could only have one lens, I think it would be this one - and I have the Sigma 30 1.4 which is also an excellent lens... but quite a bit heavier.
The best pictures of my family were taken with this lens, so I am quite fond of it.

Examples wide open:
igreja săo roque órgăo by ChristianRock, on Flickr
A Confused Pancake by ChristianRock, on Flickr

f4
pink2 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

f/7.1
pescadores by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: April 28, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, I.Q.
Cons: No quickshift, no hood
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30

Very sharp, very light, cheap.
The sharpness is 'only' good at full aperture at the center, but is as good on the edges (rare).
Very good everywhere at 3.4, excellent above 3.4.
Quickshift is sorely missed, as well as a hood (telescopic or bayonet would be great).

Registered: September, 2014
Lens Review Date: April 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Cheap, IQ
Cons: poor focus ring, build
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Samsung NX1

Good IQ also wide open, cheap if buy used, indecent costruction but for low price. Plastic mf is hard to use
photo at wide open crop no pp
Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!