Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Review RSS Feed

7.6
 7.9
 7.6
130 425,284 Sun November 4, 2018

SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM

Like all other DA lenses, the SMC Pentax DA* 16-50mm is designed exclusively for Pentax APS-C format DSLR cameras. It was announced in late February, 2007. It auto-focuses with an SDM ultrasonic motor on the K10D (firmware 1.30) and newer cameras. On older cameras the lens will auto-focus with the 'screw drive' mechanism.

SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
KAF2
AF (in-lens motor or screwdrive)
SDM

APS-C: 83-31.5 ° / 74-27 °
PH-RBJ 77 mm
O-LC77
SMC,SP
Yes (AW)
AF/MF Switch
84 x 98.5 mm (3.3 x 3.9 in.)
2007 to present (in production)
smc PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM
Internal zoom.
Three aspherical elements and two ED elements.

Screwdrive AutofocusSupersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 130

Registered: November, 2018
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, all metal construction, sharp, large aperture
Cons: Non for a zoom lens
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-x and K3ii

This is a zoom lens. People need to be aware of that. You cannot compare prime lens with a zoom lens. For what it is this lens is fast durable solid build with large aperture. I have used it since 2010 and i never regret buying it. It is expensive but you get what you paid for. Once you get to the high end product you get small incremental increase in performance and quality for a large amount of money. This lens is for somebody that is ready to pay and wants ultimate quality with weather seal and large aperture. If you are looking for a deal you can get a prime 50 mm lens from Pentax for 150 or less brand-new. It will be faster and has larger aperture.
But it is fixed length no weather seal no zoom. If you are taking indoors pictures and you don't need wide angle it will be good. But for using it outside it is a different story.

Location: Portland, OR
Lens Review Date: July 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $560.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Excellent build, quiet focusing, great in low light
Cons: Softness begins about 45% out from center when wide open, heavy,
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

I gave my son-in-law my trusty SMC DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL K when I ordered this lens. I wanted a weather sealed lens I could use for landscapes as well as indoor and low light shooting. I have to say I would swap lenses with him now, if it weren't for the present price disparity. After using this lens in several different environments and for different results, I am not very happy with it.

True, the constant aperture feature is nice, but I much prefer shots from the SMC DAL 35mm 2.4 for indoor and low light shots for it's overall sharpness and great bokeh.

Registered: May, 2015

Lens Review Date: July 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: great optics
Cons: chromatic aberation between f/2.8 - f/4
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 5    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax k5II and Pentax k5IIs

Maybe i was expecting more from this lens if i put in balance the price i paid.

I tested this lens on Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs , but honestly i don't know what to say. For the price i paid i was expecting more.

Cons:
- Chromatic aberration at f/2.8 and f/3.2. I got less chromatic abberation on a cheap Tamron 18-200/f3.5-6.3
- Lazy focus. I was expecting more from a SDM
- the hood is a litle bit larger. If you use this lens for holidays, is a little bit bigger with the hood on.

Pro:
- Great optics after f/4
- Sharp
- Nice bookeh
- Bright
- Great colours
- very good in details
- Solid and high quality construction

So, if you can buy this lens with less than 500euro, go for it. It is a great lens for all around/travel.

Is much more better than Tamron 17-50/f2.8 and sigma 17-50/f2.8. It captures some details that only on full frame you can see.

I also attached some pics, straight from the camera.

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: July 20, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Constant F2.8 aperture, WR, silent AF
Cons: Big, heavy, not so good IQ, uncomfortable zoom ring
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-30, KP

While stopped down the IQ of this lens is good, wide open not. I would not recommend a constant F2.8 standard zoom with this image quality below F4 if there were a comparable WR alternative. I had the tamron 17-50 F2.8 and that lens has a much better IQ except the bokeh. I have to say this lens has a nice bokeh, much better than what the tamron had. Altough the tamron was sharper, was more flare resistant and that was lighter and much cheaper. (and had focus issues...) The DA*16-50 also has a bad barrel distorsion at the wide end. I bought this lens for the WR-ness and the silent AF.
The build quality is very good, but the zoom ring is a little hard to move and not big enough to be comfortable while the focus ring is much bigger, then what I need. Also this lens is heavy and big. The hood is enourmous. If I can I leave it at home and bring only primes, but this isn't an option for a wedding for example. There are alternatives, but in general the lens is up to the challenge, so finally I recommend it.

Here are some images:

IMG180428_0388 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

And a cross eye 3D:
IMG180428_0104 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Where the good light is. :)

Lens Review Date: January 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast Aperture, Superior Build Quality, Sharp For A Zoom Lens, WR.
Cons: Minor Cons: A Bit Heavy, A Bit Slow AF, Vignetting, CA.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

Great all around lens.
Pros:
+ Sharp enough for a zoom lens. (The edges are a little bit soft at wide open as usual.)
+ Covers the most needed focal lenghts for most jobs. (24-75mm Full Frame Equiv.)
+ Weather and Dust Proof.
+ Build like a tank. (This lens is really solid.)
+ Constant F/2.8 aperture saves lives when it comes to low-light shooting and portraits. (Especially at 50mm)
+ Bokeh is pretty good at 35-50mm f/2.8
Cons:
- AF is a little bit slow. It's not the best lens for events or street photography. (That's why there are prime lenses.)
- Heavy and big. (It looks even scary at 50mm with the hood on. )
- It has serious vignetting problems at 16-24mm at f/2.8-4 (It can be easily fixed at post-processing.)
- It has serious CA problems. (It can be easily fixed at post-processing.)
- Manual focus ring is smooth but the range is so small, It's hard to use.
- Not the best lens when it comes to price/performance. (It definetly worth it for me but it's subjective.)

So, who should buy it?
* Beginner and enthusiast photographers who're looking for good quality all around lens for APS-C. This is the best you can find in the market for now.
* Any photographer who's looking for a WR, fast zoom lens. You don't care about anything. Simply take your camera and this lens and you're good to go. No worries at all.
* It's subjective but most travellers prefer to carry 1 or 2 lenses with them. This lens should definetly be one if you're using an APS-C body.
Who should not buy it?
* Photographers who shoot at events a lot and need fast AF to work with. This lens performs ok, but not the best when it comes to AF. It's a little slow.
* Street photograhers. This lens is a little bit big and heavy for this neeche. It pulls all the attention when it's zoomed in, especially with the hood on. It also lacks of fast AF. Go for a prime lens instead.

Registered: August, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $349.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Good Bokah when needed, Quite AF,
Cons: Super bad AC, Super Soft on edges wide open, Vignetting, heavy
Sharpness: 3    Aberrations: 1    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 3    Value: 1    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

Kit lens is better, I would never recommend this lens.

I wanted a good zoom for my portraits, this was not it. Go ahead and skip it and get it out of your brain. I am looking at the 24-70 now for the replacement of this lens.
I did send it back after 2 sessions with this lens and I was super disapointed in the quality.
Contrast was OK but It could have been better.
If you are a pro or expect crisp images, this is not the lens you want.
For those hobbiest and don't care, it would make a good wide little zoom (NOT)
I do own a 18-275 which I love better, but I also own a 35m, 77m Limited and a 100 2.8. I have also owned a lot of other lenses as well and this has been the worst lens I have ever purchased.

I found super bad AC, distortion, vinetting around the edges. Auto focus was slow. Bad fringing.
It was heavy for the price as well as being super soft. I did find it to be the sweet spots as long as it was over F5 but even at that I need to shoot wide open most of the time for my kind of work... If your work is over F5 then use your judgement and don't say I warned you.

The only time I would recommend this lens is you were shooting over F5 for landscapes or if you needed it for other Geners of Photography. For portraits I would totally stay away from it. You get better quality from the regular Kit lens. Manual focus worked better than the autofocus. The autofocus was super disapointing to me.

Handling- Was very heavy, manual focus worked better than the autofocus. I was disapointed. Not only was it slow but it was soft. No crisp pretty sharp wide open. Again, for it to work right it had to be over F5.

Value- Even the value was horrible, I brought this used and was hoping for some awesome quaility but I was super disapointed in this lens and especially of how much it costed. I sent it back.

STAY AWAY! Keep with the Kit Lens!

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Joensuu (Finland)

Lens Review Date: October 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High contrast, sharp
Cons: Lens flare in some situations
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5, K-5IIs, K-3II

This was my third DA series lens. The first one was the very respectable DA18-55WR that came with my K-5 and later the DA10-17 joined the fun. I do have some very fine glass from the film era such as A24, F28, M35 and F50 so I have quality and speed covered, but not the versatibility of a zoom lens, WR and wide angle. After some analysis on lightroom regarding lens and focal lengths use (great tool for this purpose), I noticed that a lot of the shots done on good locations (generally bad weather conditions or difficult to move freely) were taken using the DA18-55WR. Comparing these with the few taken with F28 or F50 showed a subtle but worthy difference...
The DA*16-50 is a polemic lens and so I read, asked and read a little more to understand what the softness, aberration, distortion, etc. problems where all about. Finally, comments from other users and numerous samples at different settings convinced me that it was a good choice for my needs.

The following are some findings I didn´t read about when researching the lens.

Size & weigth: Ok, everybody writes about this regarding this lens, but perhaps this is a different approach: Not long ago, I was able to replace my F80-200 (300grs, sweeet) with the FA80-320 (550grs, similar size and weight as DA16-50). At first I was hesitant about this, but afer trying it I realized the weight and size actually helped with stability and felt better balanced with the body. Funny, I had never mounted a lens heavier than 300grs on my camera.
As expected, this also applies to the DA16-50, though not when picking it up or maneuvering one handed, even if only for a few seconds.
Transporting the lens is another thing. I was thinking about selling the DA18-55WR to recover some of the investment, but now I am thinking of keeping it for the times when portability is more important than ultimate IQ and/or adverse weather conditions are not expected.

Control layout: Excellent. I don´t know if this is relevant to more experienced users but I find it really easy and intuitive to set. May sound silly or obvious but I value a good efficient design.

Manual focus: I was surpriced to discover how easy it is to manually focus (stock viewfinder screen). Short but well dumped focus throw / ring makes things really pop on the viewfinder once in focus. I made a comparison with the A24/2.8, which has a similar distance scale (although larger focus throw), and the experiment confirmed the finding. Focus ring is big and well dumped. One more thing about focus ring: infinity stop actually corresponds to infinity!

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Italy

Lens Review Date: September 1, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Quallity
Cons: Autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 2    Handling: 5    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 - K1

Great lens, but very delicate
I use it for years but now the autofoucs system does not work.
Even when running the system was slow compared to other Pentax optics
Unsuccessful attempt to repair
Bright and perfect in detail.
Not overly heavy.
We hope the new full frame D FA 24-70 performs better in the focus system.

Registered: August, 2008
Location: La Spezia / Italy
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Quality of lenses/handling
Cons: Autofocus/not solid construction
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 10    Value: 5    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20/K3

I have a 16-50 for 9 years and I used it under all conditions.
I do not think it's a good lens, the criticality of autofocus, which is a feature of the lens, makes it unreliable. Mechanically it is very delicate, for example in my lens, a yoke appeared in the front barrel, even though it has never hit. Indeed, given the cost, one could expect more.

Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good to STUNNING IQ. Screw-drive-ability on K5.
Cons: SDM failure by the previous owner was my LUCK!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Interesting, how ratings of this glass do vary from 3 to 10... maybe inconsistency in QC (quality control) or in EL (expectations level) ;-)

I was lucky to get this lens in very good optical/mechanical condition really cheap due to its SDM failure. Screw drive conversion took me no more than 5 minutes.
I am user of a very good copy of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, so the IQ expectations were quite high. No regret: DA 16-50 produces stunning IQ results across the entire Tamron (REAL) zoom range:17,7-50mm. At 16mm centre sharpness is great from f/2,8 - from f/7,1-f/8 corners are very good, too. I'm not a landscape pro and I don't pixel-peep extreme corners shot at f/2,8 on 16mm setting. Contrast, colour and resolution is what this lens produces. Weather Resistance and Manual Focus all-time override are also two important features.

Screw-drive AF is quite fast and accurate - Pentax type :-). Only one AF correction value is required for the entire zoom/distance range, while for my Tamron I needed to remember few different values for different focal length and distance (the only reason I sold it).

Pentax DA 16-50 is bigger and heavier than Tamron/Sigma, but the advantage is that the REAL focal length on the wide zoom end is 16mm while Tamron is 17@17,7mm and Sigma is 18@19,5mm.

Considering the prices of the new lenses I'd go for well selected Tamron with confirmed, accurate AF mechanism. Tamron is more compact and also has great colour and resolution, but for the price I've paid - I am a happy man with my DA 16-50.

Lens Review Date: October 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Good image quality above f5.6, 20-50mm
Cons: Poor image quality below f8 on the wide end, fringing, SDM
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 8    Value: 2    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-20D, K-30, K-01

Poor IQ under f8 on the wide end, fringing, the SDM broke a month out of warranty. I get better wide angle images from my Q-7 and the kit lens! If you want a Pentax Zoom, get the 16-45 or 16-85, either one is cheaper and will work better, with no SDM issues.

The worst Pentax lens I have ever owned (and I've owned dozens of them over 50 years.)

Moderator

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $535.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, f2.8, weather sealing, zoom range
Cons: None for me.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I find the DA* 16-50 to be a fantastic lens ( now ). When I first got this lens I thought that I had got a " bad " copy. The only thing that was " bad " was my technique in using it. Very fast lenses and lots of megapixels highlight flaws in hand held camera technique very quickly. I found some of my images were tack sharp and others with some blur. It would have been too easy to blame the lens. Once I got my head around the large drop in depth of field from 50mm to 16mm at f2.8 from the same shooting distance, my keeper rate of photographs improved. Practicing good shutter release technique improved my keeper rate more again. The SDM problems that this lens has had in the past was not a deterrent for me getting it. If my SDM stops working, I will get it repaired. The fear of it breaking down did not prevent me from getting it. I would have missed out on some valuable to me photographs if I had l had let the prospect of SDM failure cloud my thoughts. All the DA* lenses are quality items. I can highly recommend the 16-50.

Registered: December, 2014

Lens Review Date: March 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Range, Wide angle low end (16mm)
Cons: sharpness (2 samples), construction (hard spot),
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

I was really waiting for getting this lens, because of the aperture and range...and was really disappointed it, as I could not get a sharp shot even when stopped down, at F/5.6 or even F/8 (then such a lens become useless...).

On top of this, I could notice a hard spot at 24mm approx, while zooming...
I kept it 1 month and finally sold it.

I could try a second sample, and the story was basically the same.

I finally got a 20-40 Ltd that became one of my favorite lens,awesome construction, sharp, usable wide open, much lighter and smaller (due to not constant aperture), even if the wider range...

Each time I see awesome shots taken with the DA*16-50 I cannot figure out they could have been taken with it...Its probably due to bad luck but anyway, I do not recommend this lens

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Weather Sealing, Optical Quality, Character
Cons: SDM Failure, Chromatic Abberations, Flare Resistance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5, K3, K3ii

Overview:

The 'SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM' is a lens which I have grown very fond of over the last two years of ownership. Despite an autofocus (SDM) failure and several optical flaws, this lens always finds a way to keep itself within my lens collection.
Build Quality:

Positive:
The first thing you'll notice upon seeing the lens, is its small dimensions for a lens of it's speed and class. The lenses from rivals Canon and Nikon are considerably larger that of the Pentax, even though the Pentax has a wider zoom range than either lenses. This is likely due to the IBIS of Pentax bodies, allowing Pentax to design lenses free of OS dependability.

True to Pentax form, the lens hood is incredibly well designed with a removable port near the filter ring of the lens, allowing the user to remove the segment of the hood in order to rotate polarising filters attached to the lens without removing the hood. Another nice design touch to the lens is the wide diameter of the hood itself. Whilst on first glance, it looks much too large compared to the diameter of the lens, in the field in wet conditions, the hood does in fact shield the lens better from the elements compared to some of it's competitors.

Onto the topic of bad weather, this lens does feature an incredible level of weather resistance. Though some internet commentators are keen to mention the flaws in the Pentax K system, they always seem to disregard what is possibly the most important selling point to the system, Weather Resistance. Now, not to just shout manufactures claims, I have indeed taken this lens through hell and back, and it has, on numerous occasions, performed flawlessly. The following scenarios have befallen the lens, to no apparent harm to the lens.
Monsoon season in Indonesia for 4 hours, no rain cover or bagging.
High temperatures, +40C(+100F) in direct sunlight, multiple hours a day for weeks at a time
8 meter fall down a 45 degree rock face into a dry river bed
Many sprays with salt water onto both the front element and the interior lens barrel, wiped with damp cloth.
Negative:
Whilst the 'SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM' finds itself within the upper echelon of Pentax lens options, with a generally outstanding build quality, there are a few minor errors Pentax has made in designing this lens. Firstly, the 'dual cam' zoom mechanism, while not horrible, does contribute to the intake of dust and moisture into the lens. Fortunately, the lens does feature a level of weather sealing that far exceeds the quality of most rival manufactures lenses, and help minimise the vulnerability of the lens to the elements. Nonetheless, I do find myself wishing that they had gone the extra mile and designed the lens with a single cam, or even with internal zooming, in order to improve on the lens' ultimate survivability.

Also worth mentioning is the extensive use of plastics in the construction of the lens. While it is hard to fault the finish of the lens, it would be nice if Pentax would utilize more metal for the barrel of the lens upon succeeding this model with a new lens.

TBC

Optical Quality:
Focus Quality:
Miscellaneous Comments:

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi

Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WR, sharpness
Cons: autofocus, wide angle
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K5 IIs

In such a good weather, the powerfull of DA* 16-50 f2.8 is clear, so there is no need for further argument.

San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

Underground river, on Flickr

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!