Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Review RSS Feed

7.6
 7.9
 7.6
125 388,489 Wed November 8, 2017

SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM

Like all other DA lenses, the SMC Pentax DA* 16-50mm is designed exclusively for Pentax APS-C format DSLR cameras. It was announced in late February, 2007. It auto-focuses with an SDM ultrasonic motor on the K10D (firmware 1.30) and newer cameras. On older cameras the lens will auto-focus with the 'screw drive' mechanism.

SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
KAF2
AF (in-lens motor or screwdrive)
SDM

APS-C: 83-31.5 ° / 74-27 °
PH-RBJ 77 mm
O-LC77
SMC,SP
Yes (AW)
AF/MF Switch
84 x 98.5 mm (3.3 x 3.9 in.)
2007 (In Production)
smc PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM
Internal zoom.
Three aspherical elements and two ED elements.

Screwdrive AutofocusSupersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 125

Registered: August, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $349.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Good Bokah when needed, Quite AF,
Cons: Super bad AC, Super Soft on edges wide open, Vignetting, heavy
Sharpness: 3    Aberrations: 1    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 3    Value: 1    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

Kit lens is better, I would never recommend this lens.

I wanted a good zoom for my portraits, this was not it. Go ahead and skip it and get it out of your brain. I am looking at the 24-70 now for the replacement of this lens.
I did send it back after 2 sessions with this lens and I was super disapointed in the quality.
Contrast was OK but It could have been better.
If you are a pro or expect crisp images, this is not the lens you want.
For those hobbiest and don't care, it would make a good wide little zoom (NOT)
I do own a 18-275 which I love better, but I also own a 35m, 77m Limited and a 100 2.8. I have also owned a lot of other lenses as well and this has been the worst lens I have ever purchased.

I found super bad AC, distortion, vinetting around the edges. Auto focus was slow. Bad fringing.
It was heavy for the price as well as being super soft. I did find it to be the sweet spots as long as it was over F5 but even at that I need to shoot wide open most of the time for my kind of work... If your work is over F5 then use your judgement and don't say I warned you.

The only time I would recommend this lens is you were shooting over F5 for landscapes or if you needed it for other Geners of Photography. For portraits I would totally stay away from it. You get better quality from the regular Kit lens. Manual focus worked better than the autofocus. The autofocus was super disapointing to me.

Handling- Was very heavy, manual focus worked better than the autofocus. I was disapointed. Not only was it slow but it was soft. No crisp pretty sharp wide open. Again, for it to work right it had to be over F5.

Value- Even the value was horrible, I brought this used and was hoping for some awesome quaility but I was super disapointed in this lens and especially of how much it costed. I sent it back.

STAY AWAY! Keep with the Kit Lens!

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Joensuu (Finland)
Lens Review Date: October 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High contrast, sharp
Cons: Lens flare in some situations
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5, K-5IIs, K-3II

This was my third DA series lens. The first one was the very respectable DA18-55WR that came with my K-5 and later the DA10-17 joined the fun. I do have some very fine glass from the film era such as A24, F28, M35 and F50 so I have quality and speed covered, but not the versatibility of a zoom lens, WR and wide angle. After some analysis on lightroom regarding lens and focal lengths use (great tool for this purpose), I noticed that a lot of the shots done on good locations (generally bad weather conditions or difficult to move freely) were taken using the DA18-55WR. Comparing these with the few taken with F28 or F50 showed a subtle but worthy difference...
The DA*16-50 is a polemic lens and so I read, asked and read a little more to understand what the softness, aberration, distortion, etc. problems where all about. Finally, comments from other users and numerous samples at different settings convinced me that it was a good choice for my needs.

The following are some findings I didnīt read about when researching the lens.

Size & weigth: Ok, everybody writes about this regarding this lens, but perhaps this is a different approach: Not long ago, I was able to replace my F80-200 (300grs, sweeet) with the FA80-320 (550grs, similar size and weight as DA16-50). At first I was hesitant about this, but afer trying it I realized the weight and size actually helped with stability and felt better balanced with the body. Funny, I had never mounted a lens heavier than 300grs on my camera.
As expected, this also applies to the DA16-50, though not when picking it up or maneuvering one handed, even if only for a few seconds.
Transporting the lens is another thing. I was thinking about selling the DA18-55WR to recover some of the investment, but now I am thinking of keeping it for the times when portability is more important than ultimate IQ and/or adverse weather conditions are not expected.

Control layout: Excellent. I donīt know if this is relevant to more experienced users but I find it really easy and intuitive to set. May sound silly or obvious but I value a good efficient design.

Manual focus: I was surpriced to discover how easy it is to manually focus (stock viewfinder screen). Short but well dumped focus throw / ring makes things really pop on the viewfinder once in focus. I made a comparison with the A24/2.8, which has a similar distance scale (although larger focus throw), and the experiment confirmed the finding. Focus ring is big and well dumped. One more thing about focus ring: infinity stop actually corresponds to infinity!

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Italy
Lens Review Date: September 1, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Quallity
Cons: Autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 2    Handling: 5    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 - K1

Great lens, but very delicate
I use it for years but now the autofoucs system does not work.
Even when running the system was slow compared to other Pentax optics
Unsuccessful attempt to repair
Bright and perfect in detail.
Not overly heavy.
We hope the new full frame D FA 24-70 performs better in the focus system.

Registered: August, 2008
Location: La Spezia / Italy
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Quality of lenses/handling
Cons: Autofocus/not solid construction
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 10    Value: 5    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20/K3

I have a 16-50 for 9 years and I used it under all conditions.
I do not think it's a good lens, the criticality of autofocus, which is a feature of the lens, makes it unreliable. Mechanically it is very delicate, for example in my lens, a yoke appeared in the front barrel, even though it has never hit. Indeed, given the cost, one could expect more.

Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good to STUNNING IQ. Screw-drive-ability on K5.
Cons: SDM failure by the previous owner was my LUCK!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Interesting, how ratings of this glass do vary from 3 to 10... maybe inconsistency in QC (quality control) or in EL (expectations level) ;-)

I was lucky to get this lens in very good optical/mechanical condition really cheap due to its SDM failure. Screw drive conversion took me no more than 5 minutes.
I am user of a very good copy of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, so the IQ expectations were quite high. No regret: DA 16-50 produces stunning IQ results across the entire Tamron (REAL) zoom range:17,7-50mm. At 16mm centre sharpness is great from f/2,8 - from f/7,1-f/8 corners are very good, too. I'm not a landscape pro and I don't pixel-peep extreme corners shot at f/2,8 on 16mm setting. Contrast, colour and resolution is what this lens produces. Weather Resistance and Manual Focus all-time override are also two important features.

Screw-drive AF is quite fast and accurate - Pentax type :-). Only one AF correction value is required for the entire zoom/distance range, while for my Tamron I needed to remember few different values for different focal length and distance (the only reason I sold it).

Pentax DA 16-50 is bigger and heavier than Tamron/Sigma, but the advantage is that the REAL focal length on the wide zoom end is 16mm while Tamron is 17@17,7mm and Sigma is 18@19,5mm.

Considering the prices of the new lenses I'd go for well selected Tamron with confirmed, accurate AF mechanism. Tamron is more compact and also has great colour and resolution, but for the price I've paid - I am a happy man with my DA 16-50.

Lens Review Date: October 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Good image quality above f5.6, 20-50mm
Cons: Poor image quality below f8 on the wide end, fringing, SDM
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 1    Handling: 8    Value: 2    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-20D, K-30, K-01

Poor IQ under f8 on the wide end, fringing, the SDM broke a month out of warranty. I get better wide angle images from my Q-7 and the kit lens! If you want a Pentax Zoom, get the 16-45 or 16-85, either one is cheaper and will work better, with no SDM issues.

The worst Pentax lens I have ever owned (and I've owned dozens of them over 50 years.)

Moderator

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $535.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, f2.8, weather sealing, zoom range
Cons: None for me.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I find the DA* 16-50 to be a fantastic lens ( now ). When I first got this lens I thought that I had got a " bad " copy. The only thing that was " bad " was my technique in using it. Very fast lenses and lots of megapixels highlight flaws in hand held camera technique very quickly. I found some of my images were tack sharp and others with some blur. It would have been too easy to blame the lens. Once I got my head around the large drop in depth of field from 50mm to 16mm at f2.8 from the same shooting distance, my keeper rate of photographs improved. Practicing good shutter release technique improved my keeper rate more again. The SDM problems that this lens has had in the past was not a deterrent for me getting it. If my SDM stops working, I will get it repaired. The fear of it breaking down did not prevent me from getting it. I would have missed out on some valuable to me photographs if I had l had let the prospect of SDM failure cloud my thoughts. All the DA* lenses are quality items. I can highly recommend the 16-50.

Registered: December, 2014
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Range, Wide angle low end (16mm)
Cons: sharpness (2 samples), construction (hard spot),
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

I was really waiting for getting this lens, because of the aperture and range...and was really disappointed it, as I could not get a sharp shot even when stopped down, at F/5.6 or even F/8 (then such a lens become useless...).

On top of this, I could notice a hard spot at 24mm approx, while zooming...
I kept it 1 month and finally sold it.

I could try a second sample, and the story was basically the same.

I finally got a 20-40 Ltd that became one of my favorite lens,awesome construction, sharp, usable wide open, much lighter and smaller (due to not constant aperture), even if the wider range...

Each time I see awesome shots taken with the DA*16-50 I cannot figure out they could have been taken with it...Its probably due to bad luck but anyway, I do not recommend this lens

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Alice Springs
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Weather Sealing, Optical Quality, Character
Cons: SDM Failure, Chromatic Abberations, Flare Resistance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5, K3, K3ii

Overview:

The 'SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM' is a lens which I have grown very fond of over the last two years of ownership. Despite an autofocus (SDM) failure and several optical flaws, this lens always finds a way to keep itself within my lens collection.
Build Quality:

Positive:
The first thing you'll notice upon seeing the lens, is its small dimensions for a lens of it's speed and class. The lenses from rivals Canon and Nikon are considerably larger that of the Pentax, even though the Pentax has a wider zoom range than either lenses. This is likely due to the IBIS of Pentax bodies, allowing Pentax to design lenses free of OS dependability.

True to Pentax form, the lens hood is incredibly well designed with a removable port near the filter ring of the lens, allowing the user to remove the segment of the hood in order to rotate polarising filters attached to the lens without removing the hood. Another nice design touch to the lens is the wide diameter of the hood itself. Whilst on first glance, it looks much too large compared to the diameter of the lens, in the field in wet conditions, the hood does in fact shield the lens better from the elements compared to some of it's competitors.

Onto the topic of bad weather, this lens does feature an incredible level of weather resistance. Though some internet commentators are keen to mention the flaws in the Pentax K system, they always seem to disregard what is possibly the most important selling point to the system, Weather Resistance. Now, not to just shout manufactures claims, I have indeed taken this lens through hell and back, and it has, on numerous occasions, performed flawlessly. The following scenarios have befallen the lens, to no apparent harm to the lens.
Monsoon season in Indonesia for 4 hours, no rain cover or bagging.
High temperatures, +40C(+100F) in direct sunlight, multiple hours a day for weeks at a time
8 meter fall down a 45 degree rock face into a dry river bed
Many sprays with salt water onto both the front element and the interior lens barrel, wiped with damp cloth.
Negative:
Whilst the 'SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM' finds itself within the upper echelon of Pentax lens options, with a generally outstanding build quality, there are a few minor errors Pentax has made in designing this lens. Firstly, the 'dual cam' zoom mechanism, while not horrible, does contribute to the intake of dust and moisture into the lens. Fortunately, the lens does feature a level of weather sealing that far exceeds the quality of most rival manufactures lenses, and help minimise the vulnerability of the lens to the elements. Nonetheless, I do find myself wishing that they had gone the extra mile and designed the lens with a single cam, or even with internal zooming, in order to improve on the lens' ultimate survivability.

Also worth mentioning is the extensive use of plastics in the construction of the lens. While it is hard to fault the finish of the lens, it would be nice if Pentax would utilize more metal for the barrel of the lens upon succeeding this model with a new lens.

TBC

Optical Quality:
Focus Quality:
Miscellaneous Comments:

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi

Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WR, sharpness
Cons: autofocus, wide angle
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K5 IIs

In such a good weather, the powerfull of DA* 16-50 f2.8 is clear, so there is no need for further argument.

San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

Intramuros, Manila, on Flickr

Underground river, on Flickr

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Central Ontario

Lens Review Date: August 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: weather sealing, picture quality, fast focusing
Cons: wobbly lens extension
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K 3

Purchased a year ago. Supposed to be an upgrade from my DA 16-45 f 4 lens, since discontinued. Had no issues with this older lens whatsoever, just wanted the f 2.8 and supposedly better optics. Takes great photos with beautiful colour but inconsistent results. Sometime a purple ring around the edges appears, even though the previous or next photo had no issues ( of the same subject from the same position ). This only happens very occasionally.

Took lens in for repair a couple of months ago due to wobbly lens when barrel extended. SDM motor was replaced and a seal. Did not know there was a SDM issue. Seemed better but not perfect afterwards.

Have had excellent focusing results the whole time, no issues whatsoever. Balance with BG-5 grip is excellent and I always keep this on the camera body, just seems to make it complete.

Still concerned when walking around and can sense lens barrel trying to move. Sometimes get the feeling that it is easier to extend the barrel than retract it. Just a slight difference. Did not notice this prior to repair. Lens creep?

Other than this concern, I really like this lens and it is my usual one on this body. I also have a K5 and usually keep a Sigma 10-20 lens on it. Obviously I like to take wider shots but the 16-50 is a much more practical choice for everyday use. If only taking one camera, I take the K 3/ DA* 16-50 combo.

I would still recommend this lens since it does take beautiful pictures. Just thought the quality would be better, being a DA* lens. Some reviews state that the quality is great and others mention perceived issues. Recommend you check out the unit you wish to purchase prior to doing so. I adjusted the focusing when purchasing this, easy to do and now know that it is spot on.

I also have the DA* 60-250 and have no issues with this whatsoever. This is a true professional grade lens.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Finland
Lens Review Date: June 30, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Silent operation, weather sealing, nice build, 16mm wide
Cons: Size and price

The only thing that bothers me when thinking about this lens is that I didn't get it earlier. Looking at the tests, even the comparative one done for this forum, you could not understand why Pentax kept this lens in production. Well, after getting one you realize that they keep making it because they know it's good.
In real life and even doing some testing with a high-resolving body like the K-3 you will not find any significant optical advantage with the Tammy 17-50 over this lens. The advantages are obvious – silent and adjustable focus, weather sealing. In daily use you may also note the accuracy of focus (using phase-detect) which is an achilles heel of the Tammy (which I've been using for six years).
The mere one-two mm of wider angle also seems to make a difference comparing to the alternatives.
This lens has become a centerpiece of my equipment when on work. If I have to do an assignment with only one lens, mostly it would be this one.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Lens Review Date: May 30, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tough, weather resistant
Cons: Somewhat heavy
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3, K-5, K-5ii, K-01

I have had this lens for almost 3 years and have used it extensively hiking in the deserts of Arizona and Utah. So it has been exposed to extreme temperatures and rough use. It has performed flawlessly for me. I am aware of the SDM concerns but (knock on wood) I have not had problems. It is not the fastest focusing but it is silent and smooth. The IQ is very good for a zoom. Changing primes in the desert is not a pleasant prospect. I purchsed mine from Amazon Warehouse Deals listed as Very Good. It appeared unused when I received it. It has gotten hard, frequent use since but can be cleaned up to look almost as good as new. I am fond of everything about the lens except the weight.

Registered: July, 2011

Lens Review Date: May 25, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: WR, 2.8, quick focussing if SDM works, 16mm wide end
Cons: SDM failure (changed to screw drive), heavy, not razor-sharp
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: k5

This is a lens for which I have mixed feelings. When I first got it, the speed of AF was increadible, just like the silence. Indeed, as one reviewer mentioned here, I almost set the beep to confirm the focus point has been found. The images are not razor sharp, but it is no prime... For longer focal length, it gets better. The 2 extra mm compared to a kit lens do make a large difference. Overall rating: 8/5/10.

Then, I was strongly disappointed since also my copy after 3 years got a SDM failure. First, it would only auto focus to distances closer by (so first you had to manually put it to infinity, and it would be OK), then it failed completely. Needless to say: I was heavily disappointed! I was ready to get it repaired, but in the shop they refused to give me a quote for repair. Overall rating: 3/10.
I considered repairing it myself (there are some manuals on the internet), untill I found a way to change it to screw drive AF. Much more reliable, less risks of losing screws, that was the way to go for me.

Now, with the lens repaired, I am quite happy again. The WR feature is also useful!

Registered: March, 2008
Location: Mahone Bay, NS, Canada

Lens Review Date: May 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $930.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, versatile when AF works.
Cons: SDM, internal hardware, poor quality control
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 4    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5 and K5IIs

Bought new in Dec. 2008. I just had my 4th incident (2 SDMs) with this lens causing me to spend more than the cost new if I decide to have this last one fixed (I did get 1 deal on 1 SDM incident). I can't deactivate the SDM because I have a mac (PKTether is for PC only) but I may have found some help. Otherwise I will use it in MF because its worth nothing now and I spent too much...! It is a dud and Pentax Canada has still not offered a decent deal such as total replacement...Granted, it still is a great all around lens with good glass but the hardware is poor given that there are 30+ SDM incidents listed out of the 188 lenses in the lens data base - not counting those that people are not willing to declare for resale purposes...?
That will make 3 SDM incidents counting my 50-135mm - which I hardly used - that just occurred as well...
In conclusion: car manufacturers recall their models for less than that. Maybe there are enough users out there that are not speaking out and there may be enough there to have a class action launched...!

June 2017 update:

I just read the latest thread on SDM failures today and rushed over to try my 16-50mm (2008) and 50-135mm (2012) and guess what... none of their SDMs work, either on my K5 or K5IIs. My 10-17mm fisheye and 18-55WR work flawlessly on both cameras.

Granted, I haven't used the 50-135 for a while but I did use my 16-50 2 weeks ago. I tried them, turned the focus wheel, turn the camera off and on, used the AF button and the half press numerous time... no deal! I'm fed up with those SDMs, more so since I had a big argument with Sun Camera of Toronto with the 16-50mm fixed as "under warranty", not mentioning the hassles before. Working the SDM every week is lot of bull...for Pentax products!

All worked well for a couple of years but now I'm convinced that the SDM system is a piece of s...t and i've decided to look seriously into switching to screw drive.

I definitely don't recommend that lens and that's my 2 cents on this subject...!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/346697-sdm...#ixzz4j5KgdCmV

Sept 2017 update

Just received the 2 lenses back from UncleVania's. The SDMs are gone, toast, I'm back to screw drive and I'm totally satisfied with this. I still wonder what the fuss was in favour of the SDM because the sound of the screw drive running is minimal and now I know things are back to normal. I put the rating back to a "9".

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!