Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Review RSS Feed

31 126,945 Mon February 27, 2017

SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM

This telephoto lens features weather-sealing as well as Pentax's SDM focusing technology.

KAF2
AF (in-lens motor or screwdrive)
SDM

AF/MF Switch
2008 to Present
smc PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 200mm ED [IF] SDM
Two ED elements.
Designed for APS-C but officially full-frame compatible per Ricoh. The Pentax K-1 includes full-frame correction profiles for this lens.

Screwdrive AutofocusSupersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 31

Registered: February, 2017
Location: Blekinge
Lens Review Date: February 27, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, colors. Silent focus.
Cons: Nothing so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K7

I was searching 70-200 but got this as I found a nice deal.
Just love it. Best lens so far. It has sharp image, nice colors, beautiful bokeh.

Sometimes quality (sharpness) of photos varies in series, but I think it's human/environment factor. If it would be lens it would be different between shoots. Now in good condition (lightning angle?) it keep doing nice images no matter what.

Location: Sydney

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal length, f2.8
Cons: Purple fringing, flare resistance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I'd give this lens an 8.5, so am rounding up to 9.

I owned the DA*300 before buying this lens, and to be honest, just buy that. The DA*200 is a lens you will buy because:

A) the DA300 is beyond your budget
B) you need something shorter than the DA300
C) you need a bigger aperture than the DA300
D) you have money to burn

The DA200 is not a bad lens at all. At the time of writing, it's available new for 599 in the uk. At that price, it's worth it (although I will point out that my DA300 was 630 in a Black Friday sale).

I like the lens. It offers me a faster aperture than I get with the DA300. It takes good photos. It's sharp. The bokeh is fantastic. Compared to any consumer grade DA zoom, it's a big upgrade.

Compared to the DA300 though, it's left wanting in a few areas. Flare resistance, contrast, CA's, they are all massively improved with the DA300. Build quality is exceptional with both lenses, I'd say the DA200 is a touch slower wrt autofocus, but not humungously different.

And now we get to the weird bit. I don't like the DA200 as much as I like the DA300, however in semi-to-low light scenarios, other people prefer the DA200 images. The only explanation I have for that, is that once flare and high contrast issues are removed from the equation, the DA200 does a decent job.

It's good. It's better than any zoom at the same range. The AF is a bit slow. The DA300 is for most people probably the lens they want, but if you fall into that category where the DA300 is too long, or the apeture is too slow, or it's simply beyond your budget, then it's worth a consideration.

The fringing is there almost *all the time*. It fringes a lot. Nine times out of ten, it cleans up fairly well in Lightroom. The DA300 is more like a DA limited in this regard - ie mostly problem free.

Yes there's plenty of fringing, yes that's annoying, but it's still not a bad lens (but I'd still recommend the DA300 over the DA200

Registered: July, 2016
Lens Review Date: August 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: sharpness
Cons: CA

Purple Fringing !! What a disappointment.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi

Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: holy fast autofocus, sharpness
Cons: non colar-ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K200D

Someone could complaint about the speed autofocus of pentax lenses. Maybe, they would change their minds when shooting with holy DA* 200mm. It would be perfect adding the colar-ring.

Pink garden, on Flickr

HLUer, on Flickr

HP, on Flickr

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Colors, Fast aperture
Cons: Purple fringing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K3, Pentax K30

I was a bit reluctant to buy it first but after testing it and seeing how sharp and beautiful colors it produce, I was left with no other option than to own it. Its a wonderful lens.

Location: Denver, Colorado

Lens Review Date: April 12, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning optical and build quality
Cons: No tripod mounting ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5IIS

The lens looks, feels and behaves as a precision instrument. The build quality is phenomenal. As a weather sealed system on the K bodies it makes a perfect outdoor companion for any conditions. The hood mounts solidly and provides further rain shielding and fair weather glare protection. I appreciate that the hood is plastic. It is light weight and can be inexpensively replaced if needed.

This lens works for hand held shots as long as you can get a high enough shutter speed to reduce camera shake induced blur. The bigger 300mm version has a tripod mount ring. I wish the 200mm did as well. I would say it is just short enough and just light enough to do hand held work. A monopod is useful to add stability when shooting this lens, even at higher shutter speeds.

Between the f/2.8 bright aperture and the shake reduction built into the K bodies, you can reasonable work this lens hand held down to at least the traditional 1/200th second minimum shutter speed for this focal length and likely lower if you have steady hands and calm winds.

I personally find the 200mm focal length and the APC size sensor to be ideal for both indoor and outdoor sports actions as well as nature images and outdoor portraits. The shallow depth of field and pleasingly smooth bokeh for near subjects works well for isolating subjects. The auto focusing has to be experienced to be appreciated. The internal motor is silent and fast. A real revelation when compared to the screw driven focusing of the lesser lens in the Pentax lineup.

Optically this is perfection. Wide open there may be minor fringing or artifacts found by pixel peepers. I have not found anything that offends me. As I normally find f/4 to a more reliable place to shoot not because of any limitation of the lens but because f/2.8 is often too shallow for me to consistently hit focus on the desired subject in action shots. And in full daylight at ISO100 is still maxing out the K-5 at 1/4000th shutter in some scenes. f/4 brings the shutter down below its limit and still provides more than enough speed to capture the action.

Buy this lens. Just do it. You will not be able to get the !#$ eating grin off of your face when using it.

Location: Newark, Delaware
Lens Review Date: February 16, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $940.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, build quality, quiet autofocus.
Cons: Ridiculous huge hood, some purple fringing in high contrast situations.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5 and K10D

This is my birding & wildlife lens, it is a little short for many birding situations, but this is not a fault of the lens but my choice to go with the 200 mm for its more compact size than the 300. Likely I will get the new rear converter up the road sometime which should give some extra reach. Fortunately between the sharpness of the lens and the 2.8 aperture, I can crop images fairly significantly. While I list sharpness, my most important attribute as a strong positive I do not think it is quite the equal of the DFA 100 mm WR macro which is my most sharpest lens. Build quality of this lens is probably as good as the best you can buy at any price, a solid metal beauty where the focus ring turns with smooth precision. Unless its raining, I just don't bother using the huge hood, but it is good to have it if needed. As I use the lens more I seem to be avoiding purple fringing situations better but you always need to be mindful of it when using this lens. Switching to aperture priority and using an aperture of 5.6 to 8.0 definitely helps so this is not as much of a con as it would have been had I reviewed this lens before I realized it.

Registered: December, 2013
Location: wellington new zealand
Lens Review Date: December 23, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light sharp ,weather sealed.
Cons: none its pentax
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k3.k511s,LX FILM

THE 200MM 2.8 IS A LOVELY LENS ON THE K3 I CANT FAULT IT,ITS A FAST TELEPHOTO LENS YES ITS AUTO FOCUSING IS NOT AS FAST AS CANON OR NIKON BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD AN OUT OF FOCUS SHOT YET.

Registered: November, 2008
Location: West Yorkshire

Lens Review Date: December 23, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, weight (relative to what you get...), WR
Cons: Clutching at straws... Monster hood?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5 & K20

Love this lens, I use it as a walk around telephoto, forcing me to see as the lens does. I find it ideal as a go to candid lens at events (used it at a wedding and it was great). Got a bad rep for purple fringing, but hand on heart this hasn't been a remote problem for me! Out of 2000 ish shots I've got one that has been ruined by it (sun reflecting off waves) but I can't think of any lens that wouldn't in similar circumstances.

On a K5 (and better) it really shines as the ISO no longer mashes your images with the speeds required - if you have an older camera seriously think of upgrading before buying this. Another note is the build - seems a definate step up from the 16-50 and the 55 stars, really tight and solid with not a lick of lightweight plastic.

Overall the clarity of this beast is spectacular, been really chuffed. The only caveat is the hood literally doubles the size.

Location: LODINGEN, Northern Norway
Lens Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $917.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Christal sharp, well built, possible to carry
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5 "Originale"

I just love it. Its christal sharp from full opening.
Its small (for a 200 f/2,8) and does not weigth a lot.
For general telephoto its fantastic.
Autofocus could be a tad faster.

Registered: June, 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark

Lens Review Date: May 14, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $875.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Overall optical quality, AF speed and accuracy when lens is within proper range, handling/ergonimcs, mechanical construction
Cons: Some purple fringing, some AF hunting when going from one extreme to the other, no tripod mount
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5, K200D, *ist DL

If this was a strictly "objective" review, the proper rating should probably end up around 8.5 but apart from a few quirks this is a fantastic lens and for me it is definitely rather a 9 than an 8-rated lens.

Ergonomics is fantastic. The lens balances extremely well in my hands and handheld shooting is a pleasure. The lens IS quite heavy and when used on a tripod, I wish there had been an optional tripod grip available. Some day, I think I shall make one myself.....

The optics is great. I don't think I have ever had a lens as sharp and distportion free as this one, even wide open. The only issue is some purple fringing that may even occcur at not so large apertures in certain situations. This is easily corrected in software but it does lower my rating a bit. That said, many complaints that I have seen seem to come from hard-core pixel peepers (and I detest pixel peepers!), and this flaw doesen't effectively detract from my hapiness with this purchase.

Colour rendition, bokeh etc. is PENTAX when it is best!

Autofocus is generally excellent. I can even use AF on not-so-bright stars and planets! Only, when needing to go fast from close to far away or vice versa, the focus travel may often seem to take ages. Here, a focus limiter would have been in place.

But then there is all the rest, including a fantastic feel of the rock-solid mechanical construction, weather restistance, quick focus shift AND an AF/MF switch on the lens and.....

Surely, overall this lens is in a league by itself within its class.

Note added on June 16, 2013:
In my 'immoderate enthusiasm' over this lens, I have made a long review -perhaps too long but with many illustrative examples - which you may find here:

Review: smc PENTAX-DA* 200mm f/2.8

Lens Review Date: May 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF, sharp, build
Cons: no aperture ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K5, Samsung GX20, Pentax K5II

After two weeks I've bought this lens I must admit that is an amazing piece of glass.
Overall I give it only 9 - sporadic PF in harsh light and sometimes unpleasant bokeh at f2.8, but this is due to photographer bad skill
I chosed this lens over Tamron 70-200 and I think it was the best decision.

Edit 5 august 2014 - after 15 months of use the lens works very good as always

www.flickr.com/photos/florin-foto/albums/72157634188689465

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Ceadir-Lunga

Lens Review Date: April 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The quality of images, contrast, color, sharpness, great bokeh!!
Cons: no cons!!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 K-30 K-7

Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
Jpeg directly from the camera!
All photos taken at f/2.8:

I love this lens!!!!!!!! It's a fantastic lens!!!!!!!!

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Norway
Lens Review Date: April 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

This is a high quality lens with excellent performance. It is small and light and easy to use without tripod. And it is sharp wide open with a very nice bokeh. I have not noticed any chromatic aberrations. The hood is big, perhaps too big as it takes a lot of space in the bag. Autofocus is fast and silent.

Registered: October, 2012

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,237.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything everything everything everything except availability in NZ
Cons: Availability in New Zealand / had to get it from B&H
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

What a seriously amazing bit of glass.
It is 100 billion percent sharp - so much so that it'd be nice to have more MP to resolve it, and I never thought I'd say that with 16MP. The K-5 IIs would be nice to see with this lens on it.

Really I just wish Pentax would remain the "cheaper" brand that they were in the 90s and naughties and stop trying to be Nikon with their prices - but damn they have CanNikon BEATEN with their quality, in my books.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!