Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Review RSS Feed

7.0
148 477,990 Fri May 8, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM

Like all current DA lenses, the SMC Pentax DA* 50-135mm is designed only for Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras. It was announced in late February, 2007. It auto-focuses with an SDM ultrasonic motor on the K10D (firmware 1.30) and newer cameras. On older cameras the lens will auto-focus with the 'screw drive' mechanism.

SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF]
KAF2
AF (in-lens motor or screwdrive)
SDM

APS-C: 31.5-11.9 ° / 27-10 °
PH-RBK 67 mm
O-LC67
SMC,SP
Yes (AW)
AF/MF Switch,Internal Zoom
77 x 136 mm (3 x 5.4 in.)
w/ Hood: +80g
2007 to present (in production)
smc PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 50-135mm ED [IF] SDM
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★☆☆ Usable with reservations at select F-stop/focal length combinations
Show details
Internal zoom.
Three ED elements.

Screwdrive AutofocusSupersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingInternal ZoomingAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Buy the SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 148

Registered: January, 2020
Lens Review Date: May 8, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $257.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beauty lens , Sharp
Cons: Af
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used

Location: Ottawa, Canada
Lens Review Date: April 15, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Optical qualities, Size, Focal length range, 'all weather'
Cons: Autofocus (see below)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3 II, K-5 II

The Pentax DA* 50-135 was one of the first lenses that I bought in late-2011 after getting my new K-7, and it has been one of my most-used lenses. As a lens that I rarely leave at home, it easily receives c.a.m’s 4.5-star Gold rating of Highly Recommended!

The optical qualities are excellent. The lens is sharp across the field, with very good performance even in the corners at most settings. While the lens is usable wide open across the focal length range, I’ve noticed a slight softness at f/2.8 compared to other commonly-used apertures, especially at the longer end. However, I’ve never had a concern about distortion, vignetting, or aberrations, and the colours, contrast, and overall rendering are superb. In particular, the bokeh is typically pleasing at wide apertures.

At a mass of just under 700 grams, I find this lens to be comfortable to carry and handle. It is significantly smaller and lighter than my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM – which illustrates a strong benefit of the APS-C format. It’s a versatile lens that pairs nicely with my DA 20-40mm Limited. The lens has proven itself in a variety of shooting environments, including trail hikes, cityscapes, concerts, and portraits.

My copy was afflicted by autofocus issues four times during 2012-2013, during the height of many user reports of ‘SDM failure’. Warranty work included two new motors, cleaning, adjustments, calibration, and “gearing and clutch cam ring” repair. On the fifth instance, the AF seized again and the lens could not be focused manually. At that point, I converted the lens to ‘screwdrive’ mode, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I have conducted a rigorous AF Fine Adjustment (AFFA) calibration, assessing the settings at 50, 90, and 135mm; at focus distances of at least 30 x focal length; and variably focusing from the minimum focus distance and infinity positions. I found that the optimal AFFA setting varied according to focal length and focus direction; the optimal setting that gives the sharpest autofocus at all focal lengths is AFFA = +3 when focused from the near position. So, I simply preset the focus to the near side of the subject before each shot, which is an extra step but not a big deal. Note, however, that the AFFA is a function of both the lens and the camera acting together, so this issue may not be entirely a fault of the lens itself. This detail – and the SDM issue – is reflected in my lower rating of ‘7’ for AF.

The AF accuracy is typically spot-on and the shot-to-shot focus consistency is very good. I tend to take pictures mainly of static subjects, and I find that the autofocus is sufficiently quick and assured on my K-3 II. I don’t find that the screwdrive movement is annoyingly noisy, but it’s certainly more noticeable than the nearly-silent SDM mode. On the other hand, the screwdrive focus action is somewhat faster than the SDM, and it works.

- Craig

Registered: November, 2018
Lens Review Date: February 19, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp from 3.5; reasonable size and weight
Cons: slow autofocus; a bit soft at 2.8
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

Decent size and weight, well balanced on my K-70. Good sharpness from f3.5 but a bit soft wide open at 2.8. Autofocus is a bit slow but OK to use as portrait lens. Like many other users reported, my copy does not work well with the HD 1.4x teleconverter (rather soft until f6.3).

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Washington, DC

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Rendering; focal range; sharpness
Cons: autofocus

This was my first 'pro' level lens, and WOW is it a good lens! I had been using my HD DA 55-300 as an event lens, as it runs (if I remember correctly) around an f/4-4.5 for a good portion of its range. I found myself needing the extra stop of light indoors, and so I sprung for this lens. I was at first concerned, coming from the 55-300, that this zoom range would be restricting. This has not proved to be an issue in the least! It is a very versatile range with good quality.

I got it used with a failed SDM and had it converted by our good 'ol local Pentax Forums convertor, and now it runs great on screwdrive. It has a weird thing still that at 90mm it will back/front focus horribly - so I learned to avoid that focal length for autofocus. The focus isn't great, and I find it difficult to trust at f/2.8. Especially at 135mm, which isn't quite as sharp as the other focal lengths, it is easy to miss the focus by a hair. So I generally shoot at f/4, but f/2.8 is indoors doable with care, a monopod helps.

The rendition and colors are fantastic, so is the sharpness. It is a great lens. I've started taking this and the DA21 limited as a simple fairly compact two lens combo for events, and it works out really nicely. It has proven leagues above the HD DA 55-300, but there are still some impediments that I deal with for the low price I got it for.

Registered: June, 2018

Lens Review Date: January 8, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Useful zoom range, good IQ
Cons: I’ll be upset if the autofocus packs up.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3ii

I had the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 but it wouldn’t work properly on my K3ii so I replaced it with this. I’m very pleased I did. Both are sharp but I much prefer the colours on this and I like that it is weather sealed too. It’s large but not unwieldy and autofocus is only slightly slower than I would like. It could be sharper wide open but it’s much better from f4.

Registered: September, 2017
Location: New York
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Color, contrast, build quality, overall image quality, silent focusing, lack of CA, lack of PF, bokeh
Cons: Focusing speed
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-3II

I hold this lens in very high regard and I don't take my camera gear anywhere without packing this lens too. It's possibly my most used lens. While I can't say it's the sharpest, it's definitely very sharp. The colors produced are fantastic and need barely any touching in post. Bokeh can seem a bit busy in certain circumstances but otherwise is very nice as well. Autofocus is definitely kind of slow but it also has a very long focus throw. If the throw was shorter, autofocus would definitely be faster. That said, the lens acquires lock quickly and is very quiet. I only hear a very low squeak when starting.

All told, it is the one lens I absolutely love using and the one I do not want to do without. If Pentax ever upgrades the lens while keeping the IQ the same, I will definitely be purchasing it.

Registered: May, 2012
Lens Review Date: October 2, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $2,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: muy afilado. punto dulce... 90mm - f4
Cons: motor de enfoque se pego temprano
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 3    Handling: 8    Value: 5    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k20 -k5

a pesar de que lo utilizo en MF ya que se pego el motor de enfoque ,lo compraría nuevamente por su calidad de imagen excepcional

Registered: May, 2010
Location: WA

Lens Review Date: October 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $455.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP
Cons: Some report AF issues

I rented this lens in 2015 for a weekend trip to a race track. I needed a lens with moderate range, great image quality, and decent low light performance. My previous lens were good kit lens, the 18-135mm and the 55-300mm.

This lens surpassed all of my expectations.

Image Quality is fantastic. Great colors, excellent contrast, and sharp photos. I was amazed to see my test shot of a race car 500 feet away come out sharp. The lens rarely came off the camera the rest of the weekend. I came away with larger amount of sharp photos than I had previously done. The autofocus was great, weight was fine for hand shooting.

By the end of the year, I made sure to purchase my own copy. It has since been my go to lens, more so than my Tameron 70-200 F2.8.

My only complaint is that it stops at 135mm.

Registered: March, 2016
Location: Pietermaritzburg

Lens Review Date: July 28, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great bokeh, great IQ
Cons: Slow(ish) autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K20D, Kx, K3

This is by far the best lens I’ve ever owned. It’s fast and sharp, with a beautiful bokeh. I bought this together with my K20D, second-hand for $700! At the time I didn’t really know what * series lenses were, but found out pretty quickly!

From flowers to wildlife to landscapes, this is a versatile lens. It has macro like sharpness at the closest focal distance, and yet will give good IQ at longer ranges too. Because of this you can crop fairly tightly and still get a good photo. I've used it with the 1.4x rear converter, but it seems to soften the image slightly?

The fact that the barrel doesn’t extend when zooming or focusing makes it impervious to dust, drizzle and snow. Although it’s not what you’d call light, I prefer the solid, well-constructed feel of the lens, and the weight makes it well balanced to boot.

In conclusion, all I can say is that if I was forced to sell off all my gear, this would be the last to go.

Roadside Flowers

Goodyear Eagles

Spotted Eagle Owl

Registered: November, 2017
Location: Sydney, NSW
Lens Review Date: July 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: all weather, internal zoom, internal focus, parfocal zoom lens
Cons: inconsistent and slow auto-focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax KP

I bought this lens secondhand. It is mainly used for landscape as well as indoor/outdoor events. Occasionally, I will use it for portraiture.

Overall, the lens delivers great optical performance. Its sharpness is good wide-open and great from f/3.5 to f/8 throughout the zoom range. I cannot remember any issue with CA using this lens. Further, it produces the smooth and pleasing out of focus area.

In term of lens construction and handling, the lens is well-built. Its zoom ring is in an adequate size for my hand. The focus ring offers a large area to grip on when a manual focus is needed, which requires about 135 degrees of turn to change from its minimum focusing distance at 1m to infinity or vice versa. This long focus throw allows a high degree of accurancy when focus manually. The AF switch on the lens allows catch-in-focus. I have not yet brought the lens through any harsh condition, but it can withstand light rain many times without any issue.

The only problem I find in this lens is its auto-focus. Although silent in sound, its auto-focus is slow and somewhat inconsistent (especially in case of a contrast-based auto-focus in live view). If the lens has not been used for a very long time, it may need a bit of warm-up period, where an auto-focus is slower than usual, before it can operate at the normal speed. Sometimes, auto-focus with this lens does not give an accurate result. Also, the lens may miss the focus from time to time, which is really annoying. When the auto-focus is hit, however, it can deliver great results.

To mitigate the misfocus issue, I would recommend zooming all the way in first in order to acquire focus. Then you may zoom out and compose the image. From my own experience, I believe this lens is a parfocal zoom lens, i.e., the focus distance does not change when the zoom ring is rotated and the focal length is changed.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Roma
Lens Review Date: March 22, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $780.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Color, sharpness, bokeh
Cons: No FF, SDM life
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20D, K3, KS2, K1

I bought it in Greek new @ less than 800$, it was a great deal !

But...before end the warranty autofous stop operation first time, it was repair in France free of charging, after 5 years broken again and spent around 300€

Great lens for portrait, color and saturation are magic, autofocus is slow but (when is working) is very precise (so in my country is called the Sloth)
I love short tele, so in APS-C for me over 100 mm is too much for portrait, but good to get photo in sports in small field or sometime in landscape where chromatic aberration are well controlled !

For reason eplained above I prefer the FA 77/1.8 Limited to it, but the Sloth is more versatile, aboslute best in CA, wheather sealed well balance when is monted on K3 for example.

I tested with K1, but as you know is useable in FF @ 135 mm over f/8, even do in crop mode for portrait is still valid, is the right range in full frame, it's a shame we don't use it in FF mode, for those reason I decide to sell it.

Best lens for APS-C!

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Quebec
Lens Review Date: March 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and contrasty, internal focusing.
Cons: Prone to flare.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K5, K3

Batiscan River in the Fall, Notre-Dame-des-Anges

Downtown Montreal at night

Registered: April, 2018
Location: Tartu

Lens Review Date: December 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: light weight - weathersealed - sharpness - bokeh
Cons: slow AF
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K50 & K3 & K1

Pentax DA*50-135 F2,8

My thoughts after 18months of use.
(not a review, I don't have the necessary know-how and equipment to review a lens.)

Ergonomics and design
  • Very good size and weight. You can definitely carry it around all day, even shoot one handed on the wider end.
  • The weathersealing is tight. It will even survive underwater for some time. (don't ask me, just know it's not completely watertight :P) In rain, no question.
  • The grips are from rubber and real tight. The rubber hasn't slipped once even after I've removed it from the zoom ring various times. (why? Keep reading)
  • The resistance on both the zoom and focusing rings are good. No complaints there.
  • The hood is long and tough. It might seem sometimes it doesn't attach properly, but in real use it has never come loose so no lost points there. I'm actually glad it's big. Makes you feel bigger and helps keep the contrast.
  • This lens has an dedicated MF/AF switch. I don't use it much at all because in addition it has quickshift: you can use manual focus in AF.
  • Mounted on a tripod (a rather cheap one ~50$) it doesn't move in landscape orientation. When I turn my ballhead 90 to the side (portrait orientation) it has a hard time keeping steady and sometimes starts sliding. So a tripod collar would have been nice with this lens :/
  • The housing is made from metal and the paint hasn't started coming off from any parts. My copy is almost 8 years old and it still looks like a mint one from the outside.

• It's okay. The bokeh is smooth (no onion rings etc) and keeps it's round shape throughout it's apertures.
  • There is some aberration, but very minor and mostly goes unnoticed.
  • Haze is under control when shooting into a bright light source. Don't expect anything exceptional though. You'll still lose a lot of detail in the shadows as with most lenses.
  • Sharpness at f2,8 isn't the best, but from f3,5 it's tack sharp until f11~f13 where it gets soft again.

Compared to Tamron 17-50/f2.8 and Pentax-M 50/1.4 all at f5.6, I'd say the 50-135 takes a close second behind the 50/1.4, but well ahead of the Tamron (which is a very sharp zoom lens).

*When I started photography, I noticed many people telling something like "shoot with a kit lens at f8 and it's as sharp as premium glass wide open". I have to disagree Even though it's a bit hazy at 2,8 there's a lot more fine detail visible. So don't trust that misbelief.

• It's slow. There's no point in sugarcoating it. Not ideal for close range fast paced action @f2,8.
  • For everything else, it's more than enough. Goes from infinity to close focus in just over a second.
  • Sometimes it feels a bit laggy and has trouble locking focus.
  • More rarely, the lens might start and take the first couple of shots a little out of focus. Usually this issue goes away with a few seconds of focusing(AF).

*People have also pointed out it's not precise. I have to disagree. Having used a K30, K500, K50 and now a K3, the issue lies inherently within Pentax's own AF system. I can never be 100% sure I'll get pixel perfect focus. There's always a small room within which the AF system misses and catches focus and it has done so with all my cameras and different lenses. With fast glass these tiny errors show up more.
**My copy of this lens needed AF microadjustment. More on the older bodies, less on the K3.

Problems and FIXES

Let's start with the big one:

SDM failure

The good news is that in most cases the SDM doesn't die, it simply gets stuck. If you can't fix it via warranty and don't want to convert this lens into a screwdrive one, there is a simple fix available. I've made a separate blog post about it here: LINK

*this happened to me once and I fixed it

focus locks up

Turning the screwdrive screw on the back of your lens should do the trick.

*this happened to me once

Misses focus on some focal length, but not others

This indicates the zoom ring pins are bent or broken. See my link above, I also talked about this in my post. Again, it's an easy fix that doesn't require any mayor lens disassembly.

*never happened to me

Doesn't find any focus at all, only focuses inside a narrow range and doesn't respond to manual focus

I don't know why this happened, but I've read once or twice about it online too so I'm not the only one.
I just took the lens off and afterwards it worked perfectly again.

*this happened to me once

You might think this lens comes with a fair share of potential problems, but I assure you, all of them are rather rare and every lens regardless of manufacturer has problems like that. Newer copies of this lens have a better SDM that doesn't get stuck so easily. After doing a lot of research and meddling with the interior of my lens I'm convinced this lens won't magically break. For everything that happens there's a reason and most of the time the fixes are rather easy.

I recommend this lens. It's probably the best APS-C zoom lens for Pentax.

*I also tested it on the K1. The lenshood produces a good chunk of the vignette. Without the lenshood you can shoot @50mm and do a 1,1~1,2x crop to get rid of the dark edges. 1:1 crop has no vignette. Really, the vignette is not that bad without the hood. Works as a FF lens in the higher mm range. AND it remains sharp. So, no need to sell it just because you upgraded to a K1.

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: September 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: smooth bokeh in a compact lens
Cons: price

Well I used this lens for the September Single in challenge for the month of September 2018. I started off the month playing with this 50-135 2.8 hoping to finally see why people like it so much. After a month of shooting with it I have gained a respect for it. The photos taken at 2.8 seem to have a special quality about them, the way it handles areas of out of focus is very pleasing with a nice transition from in focus to smooth bokeh. The speed of autofocus and lack of hunting for focus worked well with my style of shooting. The size and balance with the K3 worked well and the lack of bulk made the combination easy to take with me each day. When I examined the photos closely I was unable to fault the sharpness of the lens other than due to using too slow a shutter speed leading to some softness from me rather than the lens. I can now see why it has such a great following. The silent lens focusing worked well for me and compared to the older screw drive mechanism, I found it very effective. The large zoom and focusing rings were easy to use and turn in the "correct" pentax way. Examples taken with this lens can be found in the following album
I highly recommend this classic lens

Registered: January, 2016

Lens Review Date: August 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: takes photos like a prime
Cons: slow AF
New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

This lens makes gorgeous pictures. On a crop sensor, it's the coveted 70-200 focal range. I use mine for all my portrait work and the photos are always lovely. But in a quick movement or needed candid sometimes it won't autofocus in time. The AF is just slow. My SDM still works but I still might convert it to screwdrive. I originally wanted it for work where I needed quiet autofocus (weddings and the like) but I end up doing manual focus in those instances anyway, so at least screwdrive would give me some speed. This lens is easy to use, not overly heavy and takes photos like a prime. Even with fears of SDM failure, I recommend.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!