Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » D FA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Review RSS Feed

7.7
103 427,751 Fri August 12, 2022

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

A weather-sealed version of the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Maximum magnification is 1:1. The image circle of the lens covers the full 35mm film format as did its predecessor. Cosmetics have changed and build quality has been improved - the lens now has an aluminum barrel. This new lens does not have an aperture ring so it is not suitable for use on the older film cameras which do not allow for setting the aperture from the camera body, such as the LX, MX, ME, ME Super, K1000 etc.

The aperture has rounded blades which should result in a pleasing and smooth rendering of out-of-focus areas (aka bokeh).

Like all weather-sealed lenses, the D FA 100mm Macro has a rubber seal around the lens mount, which can be seen in the photo (colored red). The front element is SP (Super Protect) coated.

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
Automatic, 8 blades (rounded)
1x

PH-RBE 49mm
O-LC49
SMC,SP
Yes (WR)
65 x 80.5 mm (2.6 x 3.2 in.)
340 g (12 oz.)
w/ Hood: +38g
2009 to present (in production)
$376 USD at launch
smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR
21910

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Buy the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 103

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK

Lens Review Date: August 12, 2022 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light and very sharp
Cons: None yet
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3ii

I bought this lens to go with a newly acquired AF160FC.

It's very light and very sharp.

For best results taking macro shots use manual focus.

Common Blue female by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Peacock butterfly by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Brimstone by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Registered: November, 2017
Location: Minnesota

Lens Review Date: April 8, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: In almost all situations it is a great lens
Cons: basically useless for astrophotography

This is a great lens and most people here have already stated how wonderful it is when shooting during the day or with reasonably good light. I like this lens for those situations and don't need to continue to show or state how it does in those situations as I have nothing to add. Instead I went and punished this lens

If one thinks this might be a lens worth attempting to do astrophotography with look elsewhere. This lens is actually a stinker for astro shooting. It will purple fringe like crazy until you get it stopped down to beyond f/5.6, around bright stars you get a weird ring halo until you stop it down to f/7.1 or more, and the lens has noticeable coma until you stop it down past f/5.6. Over in the astro group I posted a bunch of test shots with this lens as part of my great astro lens test thread that shows how the lens functions at various points until it gets to its best which is f/7.1 for astro shooting.

So I concur with others and this is a great lens, just don't try to do any astro shooting with it as you will be disappointed.

If you don't want to go have a look at the astro thread here are a couple of test astro shots show the mess this lens is capable of making when doing astro shooting:

Registered: May, 2017
Location: Kiev

Lens Review Date: March 14, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent macro photography. She is excellent at photographing portraits. Beautiful picture, sharp and contrasting, beautiful picture color. Lightweight lens. Small size. Affordable cost.
Cons: There is no SDM motor, focusing is done using an old-style drive with a screwdriver, which buzzes during operation.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: К1, К5

The lens is of excellent quality for its price! The lens captures both good macro and good portraits.
I have a Fa version of this lens. And there is D-Fa. If we compare them, then the D-Fa 100mm macro surpasses the Fa 100mm macro, in almost all respects. It is lighter in weight and smaller in size. It is waterproof. Photographs a more contrasting picture with richer color. This, I think, is due to the more modern front lens coating.
And the Fa version of the lens is heavier. But also more durable. There is a lot of glass and metal. During operation, the Fa 100mm hums louder than the D-Fa 100mm.
I have both of these lenses. But if I had to choose one of them, then I would undoubtedly choose this one: D-Fa 100mm macro.
I recommend this lens for your purchase! But when I save the message, for some reason it says "no". I don't know why this is happening. There is no way I can fix this.

Registered: October, 2016

Lens Review Date: April 20, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharp as a Razor, Great Colours, Accurate AF
Cons: AF can be slow, some CA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2, K-3, K-1

If I could only keep one lens this would be a contender......ultra sharp......compact......accurate AF.

AF can be a bit slow because of the size of the throw.

My full review with example images at https://youtu.be/y45rM87-Zt4

Registered: March, 2014
Location: New York

Lens Review Date: February 13, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size/weight, WR, sharp enough, nice bokeh shapes
Cons: CA, focus is a bit noisy and can be prone to hunting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I do like this lens and I think it'll be good for what I wanted it for - which was as a WR, much smaller/lighter-weight travel alternative to my beloved but admittedly big/hefty and not WR Tamron 70-200. But it's not perfect.

As many others have noted, the AF can hunt and it's kind of noisy. Not a deal-breaker for me, but a bit unfortunate.

The real fault of this lens IMO is the CA. The shot of the dog, below, shows how bad it can be. It was shot wide open (f/2.8), in the snow, with a dark brown dog and dark green foliage. So with all that, it was not likely to be free of CA, but it's still really bad. There is a lot of purple around the foliage behind the dog, and the dog herself has all these wacky green spots. Focus is on dog's nose - she was bouncing around a lot, so I don't know that I quite hit my focus.

This next shot, taken at f/4, is definitely better but still shows some CA around the needles. Focus was on brown cone.

Finally, here's one taken at f/8, which is backlit and in the snow but doesn't have a CA problem. Focus was on center of golden ball. I am a little disappointed that the icicles are not sharper, given that it was shot at f/8.

I like the bokeh shapes, and it's sharp enough for me. I don't shoot much macro so cannot comment on its utility for that.

Registered: October, 2017
Location: Hannover

Lens Review Date: January 22, 2020 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: 5

Pros: Small, light, well built. 49 mm filters.
Cons: Terrible, and I mean terrible aberrations. Mediocre rendering outside of macro
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Kp

Perhaps I've got a lemmon (I doubt, it works fine and is sharp) but this has been my biggest disappointment in Pentaxia galaxy.

Nice rebuild of a tired, decades old design and it shows. TERRIBLE purple fringing wide open or at f4, and even stopped down to f8 you get very obvious fringing. The last lens this bad I used was a 70's Vivitar 70-210 My poor black and white cat becomes purple and white cat. Anything chrome in a product photography gets a purple coat.
Outside of macro distance, the rendering is again very "old" : magenta cast, loss of contrast in sunny days, washed colours. Similar rendering to old nifty fifties you can have for little money.

Sharpness is good as expected from a macro but not outstanding. My Zeiss 35, 50 and Voigtlander 180 are just as sharp or sharper, and in case of the 35 and 180, from wide open.

I couldn't recommend it at any cost, specially for an apsc shooter. Want a Pentax macro? 35 macro ltd has much nicer rendering, and better aberration control.
Want a telephoto? Get the 50-135: much, much better rendering, colours, transitions, contrast and micro contrast, aberration control and is much more versatile.

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: January 9, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, a pleasure to use
Cons: No focus limiter or aperture ring.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3ii

Crisp images with great colours and smooth bokeh. Manual focus is silky smooth so an aperture ring would be more useful to me than a focus limiter, but the limited would be of use to people who like this as a short telephoto. So small and light I can easily pop it into a bag if I go birding or whatever. It does feel good in the hand, even the lens hood is excellent. Opened a world of macro photography to me, so it is worthy of a high score.

Registered: December, 2007

Lens Review Date: December 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, nice bokeh, very good for both macro and non-macro work
Cons: focus hunts a bit
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1 and K-3

Why isn't this a Limited? Metal body is great, focus adjustments easy to do manually and very useful for both macro work and as a walk around short telephoto on the K-1

Registered: December, 2016
Lens Review Date: November 30, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $660.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp
Cons: Purple fringing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3

Extremely sharp lens with nice bokeh. There can be purple fringing around highlights especially at wider apertures.
This photo was shot at f11:

Location: Utrecht

Lens Review Date: September 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty, WR, build quality
Cons: Bit noisy... but for macro I prefer MF anyway
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1ii and K-01

Beautiful lens, feels good (aluminum), clever hood, top notch IQ. Only wide open a little bit fringing around highlights. Rounded blades for nice bokeh.

AF can be hunting, so I prefer MF. Compared tot MF macro lenses this one has a bit short focus throw.

I got it as a free bonus with my K1 + 28-105. I am very happy with it. Ideal for DSLR-scanning too.

See also: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/392245-my-...dern-dfas.html

and for scanning: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/38...aw-camera.html

amateur dirt farmer

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: August 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: clarity, bokeh, color rendition, sharpness
Cons: are there, really, any negatives here?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

what a lens...

I traded my copy of the FA43 Limited for this lens - it was 'like new', in box with all papers, OEM caps and hood.... and I honestly feel that I got the better part of the deal...

the D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR is everything you would expect from a modern, super-corrected macro lens...

it has all the boxes ticked, such as quick-shift, weather-resistant, beautifully built, full 1:1 macro - there are very few items missing from this lens' list of specs and none of the missing bits are detrimental to it...

could it have a DC or SDM motor? yes, at the cost of its svelte exterior...

could it have an aperture ring? yes, but none of the current/modern lenses do and going forward, the idea of an aperture ring is becoming more and more rare...

could it have a focus-limiter? yes, but again, at the cost of that slick exterior barrel...

I would have been happy with all the optics packaged in a plastic, manual focus barrel, at anything nearly twice its size - it's that good...

I shot everywhere this month; the library, the zoo, downtown, in the fields - and not once did this lens let me down... you point it, it delivers...

beautiful bokeh, crisp colors, amazing details - anything you ask of it, it's good at...

downsides? yeah, it's a little long occasionally, causing me to re-compose.. and, yeah, because it's a macro lens, the focus travel is long...but that is the price you pay for that macro capability...

oh, and the shots?

paint by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

at the library by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

green boa by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

dragonfly by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

hay bales by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

shop pup by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the rest of the album:

no mystery about this lens - if you need a macro lens in the 70 - 100mm range, there's no reason to not put one of these in your bag....

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: July 25, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $265.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, compact, color rendition
Cons: long throw and hunting focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3 / Z-1p

Sample images from Fujifilm Color 200 film with Z-1p

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Lens Review Date: May 25, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $449.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, Super Build Quality, Joy to Use
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 IIs and K-3

My wife "borrowed" the lens from me along with my backup K-5 IIs body.
She loves it and never gave it back.
If you want to see what it can do look at her instagram account " malgorzataquinn "

She says there: " Pentax 100mm Macro WR on Pentax K-5 IIs, most of the time "

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark

Lens Review Date: April 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $580.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh, handling, versatility
Cons: Autofocus obviously
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

This is a work of art. Just like the 43 mm limited, this stands out from the bunch of Pentax lenses I own.

The sharpness is extraordinary, the bokeh with the aperture blades are amazing. The small size is great too. It's labelled a macro lens which it is with 1:1 magnicifation and near focusing, but I use it for a lot of other stuff too because of the sharpness and IQ.

The autofocus, espcially with macro is terrible, it's like a Tamron 70-300 priced at $150 quality.

Registered: January, 2016
Location: St George, Utah

Lens Review Date: April 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast, small
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k1 ii

Great , not just for macros

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!