Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Zoom Lenses

7.2
 6.0
10 58,664 Thu September 22, 2016

SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye

The F-series 17-28mm fisheye is an interesting lens featuring 180-degree diagonal field of view on film bodies at its 17mm setting.

F3.5-4.5

1995 to 2004
Launch Price
$400 USD
smc PENTAX-F FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 17-28mm
The diagonal FOV for APS-C is approximate and determined through testing
Screwdrive AutofocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Poland -> Kraków

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super small, superwide, small fish effect
Cons: mostly plastic.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1

So, I bought this lens right after checking that Sigma 10-20 is not best FF option. pentax/tamron 15-30 is huge and price for me.
After some net info I bought it quite cheap.
First look. It is soo small. F 50 1.4 size.
There are some info that is not good enough for FF like K1 (RiceHigh's blog). Maybe it is copy to copy variance. Ofc it is small af Fisheye lens. So it cannot have super great pixels far from center.
But It is sharp wide open.
Fish effect is not so obvious especially over 20mm.
Lens @ long end (28mm) have similar FOV like 20mm UVA lens.
Color could be a problem as it is not super neutral. But this is why I bought X-rite Passport
If you want to have small lens for traveling there is no other option. I wish that pentax will resurrect this lens with new coating.
How good it is?
Look @ this picture:

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Rawicz, Poland

Lens Review Date: November 25, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, sharp from F5.6, good AF
Cons: Some CA, small MF ring, lens cap isn't practical
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5 II

It's very unusual lens for Pentax - FF fisheye zoom. It is very wide on FF camera and has got nice wide angle range. On APS-C it is interesting too. 17mm is rather similar to DA 15mm than Pentax kit lens 18-55. So you get very useful range with moderate distortion (on 28mm distortion is really small, largest on 17mm).

Lens is moderately sharp, better of course stopped down. From the F5.6 I cannot complain. Colors and contrast are pretty good. Lens produce some CA on the edges (mosly purple fringing) but it's not a big problem. AF works fine and that's a relief because MF ring is too small for me. I have to complain about lens cap - it always fall off

F 17-28 is an interesting alternative to DA fish-eyes or even wide angles if you make some post-processing. See samples below:

Lens Review Date: July 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice color rendition and sharp
Cons: Not as what I expect in mind but the performance outweighs the negative
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 2    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax KR

Registered: May, 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fun distortion, great color, wider than 17 prime at 17mm
Cons: f/4.5 at 28mm, some fringing at corners

I picked this up at the lowest price I'd seen in several months, and was able to compare it to my SMC 17/4. The optical geometry is enough different that this is noticeably wider than the K17. Since the K17 sits between DA14 and 15 for linear field this one must be wider than the DA14 - nice to have the scale of a 17mm but the extra field too Colors look more natural on my camera with the zoom.

Sharpness looks very good on test images - bokeh is good but this is not a bokeh-seeker's lens anyway. This does not focus nearly as closely as the prime, nor does it have the built-in filters and has no filter threads. Looking at the edges the zoom has magenta-bias color fringing, the SMC17 goes with cyan so no real winner there. This issue is visible in the corners in high-contrast scenes but does not affect the majority of the field. The sun was not available for flare tests.

I did not expect this to be so talented and a fair test against a prime that I really like - but to my eye it's comparable for IQ, came to me cheaper and is more convenient as it sends aperture and focal length to the camera. While not as compact as the prime, the versatility of the zoom can be handy.

June '17 update - just picked up a 2nd copy, having sold the first one a while back. Still great fun, and of course K-1 friendly!
I did not note above that the close-focus is closer with the prime, but minfocus with this is still nice.

Registered: March, 2008
Location: placerville, ca
Lens Review Date: January 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $248.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!!! Lightweight, high quality build.
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K5

I just received my copy of this lens which I bought on eBay from Matsuiya (btw, and excellent eBay vendor) for $248 + $26 S&H. This is one of the sharper lenses I have. The "fish-eye" effect which it is designed to produce on film cameras is somewhat diminished on a digital SLR, but still there.
I would strongly recommend this lens to a friend.

Location: Yokohama
Lens Review Date: March 30, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile, fun, lightweight

If I could save only two lenses from a fire, this would be the second (the K50/1.2 being the first). It is so super-versatile on both film and digital bodies that my other wide-angles see little action. It also has great flare control, I've shot practically into the sun and there was no problem.

I wish it had a closer minimum focus length like the other fisheyes, but that minor quibble is not enough to dock a point off the rating.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: MN, US

Lens Review Date: May 7, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Full frame, portability, fish eye effect
Cons: Plastic, not fast

Full frame, portability, fish eye effect
Plastic, not fast

Registered: July, 2007
Location: Switzerland | Portugal
Lens Review Date: December 19, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Angle in 1.5 Crop, Colors
Cons: Not very sharp lens at wide apertures.

I Sell my Sigma 17-70 (great lens), and i need a wide lens for a Night Club Photography... at that time i haven´t Wide lens at all... so i bought this one from a friend, i like the ultra wide aspect with the little barrel effect.

It's not a perfect lens, Only sharper at 5,6 above..., but it's more that moderate, i love to try it on full frame body.

If you want to see some samples just go here:

www.clubesuite.com (go to "Fotos" section... Portuguese Website)

Bye,
JorgeDeSilva

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Dallas, TX, USA

Lens Review Date: April 8, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small - sharp - flexible
Cons: 1.5 multiplyer on DSLRs eleminates much of barrel distortion inherent to semi-fisheye lenses

I bought this after testing it on my *istD and realized that it was an excellent wideangle zoom (equivalent of 25-42) for DSLRs. There is moderate barrel distortion that I readily remove during post-processing.

On a film SLR, it performs as expected. Great for the few times I need a "different" perspective. Since I rarely go for the fisheye effect, I'm truly happy with it as a wideangle zoom on my DSLRs.

Larry in Dallas

Administrator

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Unique fisheye zoom for full frame 24x36mm SLR. Light and compact. Fun to use
Cons: Not the sharpest lens in the bag
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Fisheye zooms are a Pentax specialty. No other manufacturer has anything like it (except that Tokina is now (January 2007) marketing a rebranded Pentax DA 10-17mm for Canon and Nikon mounts).

The smc Pentax-F 17-28mm was designed for film cameras where it at 17 mm covers 180 degrees diagonally. On the Pentax digital SLRs the coverage is much less, actually just a little bit more than a rectilinear 15mm lens, which still is respectable. Being a fish eye zoom it naturally exhibits heavy barrel distortion in particular at the wide end. It has a built-in lens hood and it does not take any filters.

It is fun to use although it isn't the sharpest lens around. Being this compact you tend to carry it with you at all times. At least I did that until I acquired the DA fisheye zoom.

The lens barrel is made of polycarbonate but the lens is nevertheless built very well.

This photo from the area along the Semmering Railway in Austria illustrates the field of view on a digital SLR. Focal length: 17mm, 1/500 f/8, *istD.

There wasn't much space in the locomotive shed at the Deutsche Dampflok Museum in Germany, so the 17-28mm came in handy since I wanted a picure of all of the proud BR10 locomotive (focal length again 17mm)

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!