Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

37 155,492 Mon September 25, 2017
SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8

This is the autofocus successor to the A version of this lens. The optics remained unchanged.

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
1987 to 1989
smc PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 37

Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Lens Review Date: September 25, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, compact, quick AF
Cons: None for me
Sharpness: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

I have had this lens for ages, first using it on film and my istD cameras and other DSLRs. Since selling my K-7 a few years ago there was a hiatus for it to be used on digital. Then this year I bought the K-1 which boosted the use of this lens.

I considered before buying the 31mm Limited, but as I had this lens I am glad I did not. Seeing the results from this lens on K-1 convinced me that the +3mm in focal length and gaining one f-stop would not give me much advantage even considering that the Limited is considered one of the best Pentax lenses of all time. Well, for me certainly not, especially not for 10x the price.

Registered: January, 2017
Location: Nijmegen
Lens Review Date: September 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It sharp right from f2.8
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax k-1

Actually, I mainly use my K-1 for landscape with my favorite lens SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8. I was very lucky to get a copy of this lens, It sharp right from f2.8.

Nijmegen - Netherland by anakhaled abdullah, on Flickr

Nijmegen by anakhaled abdullah, on Flickr

Registered: March, 2017
Lens Review Date: April 23, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and small
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5iis

Well i was very lucky to get a copy of this lens, Have been looking for a long time for one of these and found one on gemtree, I can't say anything bad about it, for the age of this lens you can't believe how it performs, i was looking at getting the FA version but found that this version proved to be just a little sharper in some reviews on the net, like this one, https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/pentax-smc-f-28mm-f-2-8-274/reviews, and the colors are very deep, great for landscape and cityscapes photography. Here's a photo of my local beach. Fantastic lens.

Location: Tokyo

Lens Review Date: April 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, value, manual focus to infinity in dark (truth for all film era lenses)
Cons: aberrations (can be easily fix in post)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5    Sample Photos: 1

Sharpness: It sharp right from f2.8. I shoot a lot of cityscape, city night, and long exposure stuff. Sample image below is at f16, focus at infinity and it is very sharp.

Aberrations: this is one of its downside. But it is still better than FA35 and DFA100wr, IMO. To be fair, It can be easily fixed in postproduction. I recommend to get an ebay metal hood, it will improve the image quality.

Bokeh: It is satisfying for its price. Just don’t compare it with a lens like FA31. It is like 3-4 times more expensive.

Autofocus: as I mention before, I take a lot of night cityscape photo. My K5 lowlight auto focus performance is useless on all lenses! Most of the time, I only want it to nail focus at infinity. 10 out of 10 times, K5 doesn’t do it. But with a film era like F28, it is no problem to manually focus at it infinity. This is very useful for me. During day time, this lens has no problem focusing. Well, needless to say, every prime I have, never had a problem focusing on K5 during the day.

Handling: solid build lens. It doesn’t feel cheap on my hand. And I prefer lens with plastic barrel. Yes, metal barrel is pretty, but I buy my gears to use not for correction. My 2 metal barrel lenses, dfa100wr and da 15ltd got multiple scratches all over its barrel. I feel so guilty every time I look at them. But with F28 plastic outher body, scratches are hardly visible.

Value: concerning its price, and what it can delivery in term of image quality, it would be a crime if I don’t give it a 10! I got this lens second hand in Tokyo at around 32k yen. It is the cheapest prime I have, and so far, it is the best investment ever!
and I was looking at FA31 first but when I see this post, It change everything!

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Austin, Tx

Lens Review Date: September 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast, well built, price for quality!
Cons: some CA, but just slight
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3    Sample Photos: 4

I bought this to shoot newbie models. Unfortunately, manual lenses can be a burden when someone wants to pose quickly and is a little more impatient. So not having money for limited primes. I bite the bullet and bought this little guy.
It's a beautiful lens optically. Wish it was black and not dark grey, but not a big deal.

My copy is very sharp, I could not complain at all. It creates beautiful details. Blows my FA 50mm 1.4 away in sharpness, and to my eyes is as sharp as the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7. It's got great looking Bokeh too!

Shot wide open with no tripod, F2.8 ISO100, 1/125s, no color correction or editing.

100% crop close up

100% crop close up

Registered: January, 2015
Lens Review Date: June 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, size, weight
Cons: Autofocus hunts at infinity sometimes
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-50

Small, lightweight and gives sharp images with good colors. Somewhat soft wide open but sharp from f/4 onward and really good from f/5.6 to f/11. It might just be my copy but the autofocus sometimes hunts for no apparent reason when I am pointed at infinity, but it does eventually lock in.

100% crop from the extreme left edge of the above image. Note the excellent sharpness of the post but a dropoff in sharpness at infinity. There is also a tiny bit of CA at high contrast areas.

Location: England

Lens Review Date: June 29, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, build quality
Cons: Very little
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: ist and K5 IIs

I bought my first SLR, a P30n, with a 50mm f1.4 in 1989 and have stuck with Pentax through 25 years of photography. Seven bodies later (five of which I still have, one stolen, one written off in a skiing accident) I finally decided the time was right to find a 28mm f2.8 to go with the 50mm and 100m macro f2.8 that are my normally walkaround kit. Finding one for the equivalent of 160USD made the decision even easier.
The lens arrived by post at 11am and at 3pm, after a few test shots, a thorough clean and the fitment of the obligatory Skylight 1B, I went out to a family wedding and started shooting.
Knowing that the venue was small and the family large I knew I needed to be able to shoot up close and personal and I cannot say how happy I am with the results. More to the point, so is the bride and over 80 of my shots, nearly 75% taken with the 28mm f2.8, are going in the album.
Having used the 50mm f1.7 for 25 years, and the 100mm f2.8 for over 15, the 28mm behaved exactly as I expected and wanted, and leaves me wanting nothing.
My advice: buy one. Soon.

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: November 25, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal Length
Cons: not as fast as a 31mm?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

I have gone through a complete evolution as a photographer. Before I started I only wanted the long glass. But when I first started out I shot only with zooms... then I switched over to primes and now I shoot only primes.

With this lens...after a couple of months using it...it is by FAR my most used lens. It is a perfect lens for 'walking around'...'street shots' etc etc. If I had to leave the house with only one lens, this would be it. (I own the complete line of DA Limited lenses and this one is not 'as sharp' as those in relative terms, but the difference is negligible. Sharpness wise it would be somewhere in between the regular DA lenses and your average limited lens. I would be first in line if they released a modern version of this focal length in limited format.

I have found the more I shoot, the more I like this lens. It fills an important gap (while still being affordable) in the Pentax lens line up. The lens leaves little to complain about as far as I am concerned. After owning this lens for a while it's making want a 31mm because the focal length is close and I would like the increased speed. All that said, in absence of a 31mm, this is a must have lens as far as I am concerned.

Suggestions would be to use a good standard lens hood with this lens. I use a standard screw in metal hood because if you shoot with sunlight directly hitting the glass you will see reflections.

Overall the pros are the focal length is by far the most useful in my bag, the lens is sharper than most of the modern Pentax lenses (not necessarily the limited lenses though), also the AF works quite well with this lens.

Location: Newark, Delaware
Lens Review Date: March 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: compact, good build, sharp
Cons: plastic focus ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5 and K10D

I have had this lens since 1989 when I bought it for my SF10 film SLR. After 24 years this lens is still going strong and was the main reason for buying Pentax K10D instead of Nikon or Canon when I went digital. The build of this lens was much better than the Canon & Nikon lenses in my budget at the time I bought my K10D, The F28 has a better build than most consumer lenses with a plastic outer barrel but metal inner barrel and lens mount. It fits very nicely in between my DA 15 mm Limited and 40 mm Limited. Optically it is almost, but not quite as sharp as those lenses. This is a great lens as a semi wide normal lens when I do not want to carry around all of my other lenses as a street lens and an indoor lens. I rate as an 8 since it does not quite have the impressive build of the limiteds or the sharpness of my 2 limiteds and does not have quick shift focus. Still, its an old favorite that I like it very much.

Registered: May, 2012
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very good contrast an colour rendition
Cons: not fast enought, a little soft at 2.8
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-20

This is a very nice lens, reasonably sharp with a good contrast and colour rendition. The AF is fast and it's small and light to carry it with you all the time.

Now if I give it an 9 is because I don't think this lens should have the same rate as a 77mm or 31mm limited lenses.

Besides, the current price for this lens is too high. My advice, if you really need a 28mm AF get this lens, you won't be disappointed. If you are in a budget, get the A 28mm, is the same optical formula and it's 4 times cheaper. You just loose the AF.

Lens Review Date: October 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, versatility, price and size.
Cons: cant find any...seriously, i just cant find any flaw.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-x

I got this lens around 10 months ago, and it has been with my camera longer than any lens I have. This was perfect for me, small, sharp, and fast. I use this for portraits and landscape. At f4-f8 this little guy shines best. Been using it since I got it but I could never find any flaws. I really recommend this lens.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK
Lens Review Date: April 21, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open, great colour rendition, good contrast, good build ( a mix of Metal and Plastic outside), Excellent Bokeh!
Cons: Some CA in extremis on APS-C
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

I only got this lens yesterday, but used it a lot today on various subjects.
Well, I can say, this is one excellent lens! Sharp from F2.8-F11 (not used it beyond this) contrasty, great colour rendition too.
The bokeh, in spite of "only" 5 blades is fantastic! Smooth creamy and not at all fussy.
I already love it!

Downside,
There is CA in high contrast areas which can be a problem. This is why I only put it as a 9. Everywhere else a good solid 10!

I may have paid a tad over the odds for an immaculate copy (£180). But I thought this, I have a great AF lens that works great on both my DSLR's and Film. so in some ways I get two lenses in one. Plus this lens is as rare as hens teeth on the pre owned market!
it is a great addition to my little Pentax prime family (21mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm and 55mm) and I have only had it a day.......

Edit.
I used it a lot on a trip to Estonia. I went there only using the aformentioned primes.
Boy does it hold its own against more modern lenses.

Edit (May 2016)
i have used this a few times on the K-1 and it shines and then some! Hence why I have now given it a 10

Examples are here.
Kiek in de Kök by IHD Photography, on Flickr

Tallinn by IHD Photography, on Flickr

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral by IHD Photography, on Flickr

Registered: October, 2011
Location: British Columbia

Lens Review Date: October 10, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, crazy quick AF
Cons: None that I've come across
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10

What more can be said that hasn't already?

Shooting on an APS-C sized digital sensor makes this 28mm a 42mm, which is a great focal length to be had. A bit wider with a little more perspective depth and a little less subject compression than shooting at 35mm (50mm APS-C equivalent). (youtube 'dolly zoom' to see what I mean by perspective depth).

But this is a review of this lens in particular, not a focal length in general!

Superb sharpness, lightning fast AF, lightweight, and portable; this lens has it all.

f2.8 has good sharpness (by my subjective measure) But around f4-f8, it's sticky-sharp.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Lens Review Date: July 5, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great FOV, sharp, great colors
Cons: plasticky build

I'm amazed that this little gem sells for the price it does, considering what its big brother the FA 31 goes for. I have always loved the ~40-45mm FOV on film, and this lens just feels "right" on APS-C. Do I wish it was a 1.8 instead of a 2.8? Sure, but then I couldn't afford it. I love that I can shoot it as a normal FOV lens on the K5, but switch it over to the LX without missing a beat. There is no 9.5, so 10 it is. The cost to IQ ratio alone justifies the rating.

Edit: after many years of use, I finally sold it on. I lucked into a good deal on an FA20-35/4, and after that this one just sat in the bag. Other than the f4 vs f2.8, the FA20-35/4 gives up nothing to the F28. Both are excellent.

Registered: April, 2010
Lens Review Date: June 20, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color, sharp, quik

it's a nice lens. and the color of its pictures are also amazing. someone always compared this F28 with FA28, and said this one was less sharp than FA28, because of lack AL glass. Though I haven't got FA28, the F28 is very sharp even in wide open (f2.8).
Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!