Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

78 236,537 Mon September 11, 2017

SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

This is a fast and compact standard autofocus lens. Optically the lens is the same as its A-series predecessor.

Various types
1987 to 1991
smc PENTAX-F 1:1.7 50
20837
Sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 78

Registered: May, 2017
Location: Kiev

Lens Review Date: September 11, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: An interesting picture, similar to the photo from film cameras. A light weight. It looks beautiful on the camera. Good speed and accuracy of auto focus.
Cons: Plastic case (not as durable as other 50mm lenses).
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

The lens is excellent! I accidentally bought it. I was looking for FA 50 1.7. And I found this one. Cheaper. I tried to take pictures of them. I liked the result. And I bought it.
I liked the lens in the first place with an interesting picture, which he gives out. The photos taken with this lens, in my opinion, are more like photographs from film cameras. If you compare all 50mm autofocus lenses from Pentax. Lenses 50mm DA and FA series, in terms of sharpness, contrast and bokeh, exceed this lens. But despite all this, it's F50 1.7 I most often dress on the camera. It is lighter than all of them, by weight. And it is strong enough, at the same time. Photos with this lens are beautiful, with warm colors, emotional.
Given that the price of this lens is cheap, I advise you to buy it and use it as a regular lens. If you know how to handle photos well and make color correction and adjust the contrast when processing, then for you this lens will be just a godsend! It is cheap and light in weight. It looks beautiful on the camera. And it gives interesting photos.
Sharp already from the diaphragm 2,8. And on diaphragms 4 and 5,6 has the best parameters of sharpness. On a completely open diaphragm, it's interesting to take portraits. With the effect of blurring, both through silk fabric. A similar effect is provided by the application of the photo filter Marumi Silki Soft (A).
Good contrast can be achieved with the use of a lens hood on this lens. I advise you to always use the blend. I have an ordinary rubber hood, made in China. She gets good photos.
I advise this lens to purchase. Because personally I really like him.

Registered: June, 2016

Lens Review Date: October 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light,Sharp, Bokeh, price
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

Great cheap lens! handles well and produces good quality imagery. I enjoy the Bokeh of this lens, Not the best but is pleasant. Needs a good when outdoors otherwise it flares in overhead front light areas. Overall a great lens at a good price. Would recommend to anyone looking for a 50mm.

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colours, lovely rendering, light
Cons: Flimsy filter/hood ring, AF hunts

Takes lovely photos. Softish wide open but quickly sharpens up from f2.8 onwards, super crispy at f5.6 or f8. Classic Pentax colours and rendering that just makes you smile.
Some color fringing wide open, bokeh can be a little bit scratchy thanks to the 6 blade aperture (but that's no different to its M or A series predecessors), but in general this is a lens that just produces keeper after keeper.

Cons: the filter/hood ring is notoriously flimsy and the one on mine is broken. This is not a problem for me since I am not a heavy filter user and I find the front element to be well enough recessed to do without a hood. However, if you are a heavy CPL or ND filter user you might want to avoid this one because it will probably break eventually. I have seen them with the standard ring fully removed and an empty filter ring or step-up ring glued on in its place.
Secondly, this lens sometimes hunts like mad while autofocusing - this happens on all the cameras I've tried it on (I also tested it against the DA50/1.8, which doesn't hunt like this one). This is a bit annoying but not enough to stop me from rating it 9 for the lovely images it produces.

Overall highly recommended.

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: February 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: shaaaarp, fast, value, color and character, DR
Cons: AF calibration, color saturation at low light
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I get to comment on this lens after switching over from my "Sears" fast-50 primes of antiquity.

Pros:

Really beautiful, sharp photos. Manages a lot of "pop" up with the other great 1.7s out there. The tak 55 f/1.8 is the only one I've used that matches it (I haven't used too many). Brings out a lot of dynamic range compared to my zooms that cover its length. My DA16-45 never gets used at 45 because of this lens. I haven't sold that lens because it's the cheapest way to get a sharp 16mm. It can't compete--in colors it can, in DR it just cannot. In the right light, the colors can be uniquely characteristic without seeming eccentric.

Cons:

I'm not sure about the AF. It's hard for me to dial it in to the point where it will be bang-on at both 4 and 14 feet. Tweaking AF micro-adjustments seems like it's something that many people need to do with this lens. I don't have an AF film SLR, so using this on my K-1000 makes the focus ring feel very flimsy.

Good value. But then, are there many other 50 1.7 AF lenses out there? This, the DA, and the FA are kinda your options, unless you go f/1.4.

**I know this is solely dependent on focal length and f-number, but I find this lens to be a great candidate for the "Brenizer" panorama shots at wide apertures. That technique normally looks at fast 85mm and above, and can be pretty overwrought. But I find I can get a great panorama out of 12-15 quick shots at f/1.7 and it's becoming a go-to move. The results are striking but not garish. And the color depth just gets even better as you bring more OOF areas into your shot.**

Registered: October, 2006
Location: North Face of Mount Shasta

Lens Review Date: July 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $205.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at all apertures, light and small.
Cons: I will never get used to that F/FA exterior look.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20d, K3

I bought this lens 3.5 years ago from a fellow forum member. It was in very good condition and only needed a hood. Collapsible from Amazon did the trick.
I had a K20d at the time and wanted one of the Pentax legendary 50's ... my budget dictated this lens.
As it turned out, it became a regular on my camera and consistently produced excellent images. My only issue was the occasional hunting in anything but good light (mostly attributed to the K20). I shoot a lot of my son's basketball games for the school and lost a few good shots because of this occasional hunting.
I eventually picked up a Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DC HSM for his games and my F50 went into the bag ... that is ... until I got my K3. The other day I threw the F50 on the K3 and was blown away by the speed that this lens now focuses because of the stronger motor in the body and new focus algorithms of the K3's programming. I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming basketball season and see how she does.
This lens is now a complete pleasure to use ... sharp, fast and exhibits the beautiful look that only a Pentax prime can produce. It reminds me why I chose Pentax back in the 70's.

Registered: August, 2013

Lens Review Date: January 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, great colors, quick focusing
Cons: No quick-shift focusing, no WR, occasional fringing in some situations
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5    Sample Photos: https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=smcpentaxf50mmf17&sort=relevance&user_id=25307231%40N00

Found this one at a Goodwill, with a PZ-10 attached. The filter ring was damaged but it looked clean and straight and mechanically sound, so for $30 I decided to risk it.

Ha, ha! It's awesome! This thing totally surpassed my expectations for a thrift-store find, despite its cosmetic damage.

It's very sharp and quick to focus, and I appreciate the speed when shooting in available light indoors. I rarely open it up more than to f2.0, but even wide open the results are acceptable, especially for portraits. Closed down to f4.0 and beyond and it's sharp sharp sharp.

It seems to have the same optical qualities as my SMC-M 50mm f1.7. Not surprising--it's the same formula/coating, only in an AF mount. Mine played pretty well with the K-5 out of the box--maybe it needed 1 or 2 steps to correct a little front-focusing, but that was it. It's great as a short telephoto/portrait lens on APS-C, and a nice walking-around beater lens, too. Sharpness rivals my 70mm f2.4 Limited, and comes pretty close to my 35mm f2.8 Limited Macro.

The only issues I'm running into is that there's no quick-shift focus option. In addition, there's occasional CR apparent in some conditions (mainly below, say, f4.0 in bright sunlight), but that's about it. Other than that, it's plug-and-play with the K-5, and easily worth 4x what I paid for it.

Registered: July, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, size, quality
Cons: noisy, small manual focus ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20D    Sample Photos: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10750338_551936411607774_5550996592273569796_o.jpg

I really love this lens, is small, sturdy and durable, love the colors and sharpness that it produces, Im so happy that I found one, always makes me happy when use it on my K20D,

Location: Barcelona

Lens Review Date: June 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colours, bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-r

Some months ago I just bought a copy of that sensational lens, in this same forum to a person from Canada.

I payed for it 180 CAD $, and I can't be more happy with my purchase.
It's been a while that I have been using a 50mm manual lens, since that one got issues with my camera.

Then, I just simply started to check out, and found that the F 50mm looks impressive, after reading everyone's opinion in here, I decided to buy myself a copy and I think I will never regret myself for doing this, I love this lens absolutelly!

It is sharp, quite fast focusing (yes, sometimes not so much), it's bokeh is simply wonderful, the colours it takes I just love them. Of course, it's a 20 - 30 years old lens, but to me is well made, not feeling much plastic on it.

I was looking for a 50mm lens, and I can only recommend it. And hey! I have not yet had a hood, but I guess once I'll have it, pictures would look even better!

It is true some times it does not focuses on the object that you would like to, correctly, but 8/10 of the times it does.

Here some samples:

If you are considering in getting a copy, I can only say : " go ahead, you won't regret and you'll have so much fun with it ".

Registered: April, 2014

Lens Review Date: April 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $256.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, value, metal
Cons: AF voice, dear
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5

This is the best one of the lens I have. I often use it. It's great lens.

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands

Lens Review Date: March 12, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size, sharpness,
Cons: CA
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

Used it for a short while, needed to calibrate it on my K-5 but now it performs well.
Has a lot of CA on 1.7 but stopped down it disappears.

Registered: December, 2013
Location: Houston, TX

Lens Review Date: March 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $185.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality (esp. at large apertures), value
Cons: Purple and green fringing, hood absolutely required
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

I purchased this lens from another forum member on the Marketplace a few weeks ago. It has quickly become one of my favorite lenses.

Sharpness: Absolutely stunning. It's pretty good wide open at f/1.7 and razor sharp from f/2.0 forward. I primary use this lens for shallow DoF shots, so it remains parked in the f/2 to f/2.8 range most of time. In this range, shots are razor sharp with fantastic detail. With so much light, you can shoot at lower ISOs than you would otherwise, maximizing the resolution of this lens.

Aberrations: The weakest part of the lens. At large apertures and medium contrast situations, this lens will purple and green fringe like crazy. It's obvious without even pixel peeping. Fortunately, you can correct this in Lightroom pretty easily. Note that the Pentax Camera Utility and in-camera automatic aberration correction will not work with this lens, as you can only use those tools with DA or DFA lenses.

In high contrast situations, you can expect to see some fringing even as high as f/8. Again, it can be corrected fairly easily, so be sure to shoot in RAW or RAW+ with this lens if you run into high contrast scenes.

Bokeh: Smooth and smarmy. You can do wonderful things with this lens from f/2 onward and can really do some monster bokeh at f/1.7 if you're willing to take a slight (but not unacceptable) sharpness hit.

Autofocus: Fast 50mm primes are notoriously hard to focus, mostly due to the shallow DoF inherent to longer focal lengths and large apertures. The camera leaves the lens wide open until it is ready to shoot, which means all focusing is done at f/1.7. The best focusing points on any Pentax camera are only really reliable down to f/2.8 (center point only on K-5/II/s and three center points on K-3). You can miss focus with this lens, even if you're going to shoot at f/8. You need to be patient and double check your focus carefully.

Even with that caveat, I've shot this lens at f/2 and used off center focus points (which are rated to something like f/5.6 on my K-5 IIs) and still achieved wonderful results. It's just a matter of being careful and patient.

Oh, as a screw driven lens, it's pretty loud. Occasionally, at close focus, it will miss a focus point and take a ride around the entire focus throw. Sounds something like a kazoo or Transformers sound effect when it does. Unlike other entries in the F-series, this lens doesn't make a loud crash when it finds the focus, so you can rest a bit easier knowing that the lens won't break itself apart.

Handling: It's super light and small. Fits in any bag or even a pocket.

With the ring set to the A position, the camera can dial in all the 1/3 points for f number (1.7, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, etc.) If you start at f/2 and scroll back down, you can hit 1.8 in addition to 1.7, but if you start wide open, it will skip right from 1.7 to 2. I suspect the 1.8 is really 1.7. I tried to see if there is any physical difference in aperture between 1.7 and 1.8 when shooting, but I couldn't tell. The difference, if it's actually there, would be just a few mm in the dark.

This is *significantly* more f values than clicks on the aperture ring. There's only one click between 1.7 and 2.8, for instance. It is very difficult to set the aperture ring to non-click points, so it is best to keep it in A-mode. If you want to use a continuously variable f-stop for strange settings, best to look at fully manual lenses. (I can set any f I want on my K 50 f/1.4, for instance).

Value: You can find this lens for under $200 without trying. An FA model will set you back about $250. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that the FA lens can communicate optimal sharpness to the MTF program line. If you don't shoot in P mode or use this program mode, you won't tell the difference between this and the FA, aside from the cosmetic differences. Neither lens will win a beauty contest, but I think this one looks and feels a bit better than the FA.

Closing thoughts:
This is important. You absolutely must use a hood with this lens.The contrast suffers greatly without one. You can use either a rubber collapsable one or find a screw-in metal hood on eBay or Amazon or other source. Remember that this is considered a short telephoto lens on APS-C, so a "standard hood" is not quite long enough to cut out all the ambient light. This one

is about the length you should look for. They are easy to find for $10 or less. You can also find metal ones with 58mm threads on the end (like the above) so that you can attach filters to the outside of the hood. This is much easier than trying to put them inside and allows you to keep your hood with filters with step-up rings (unless you have need to or want to invest in a collection of 49mm filters).

Location: Vermont
Lens Review Date: January 15, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focusing, low light, awesome bokeh
Cons: Some CA and purple fringing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30    Sample Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69476808@N07/11932739096/

Awesome lens. I've had it for one day and it has put a smile on my face....with the speed at which it focuses and the quality of photos so far. Yeah it's loud but it means business. A very fun lens. I also have the DA40 limited, but the F-50 seems to do better at getting accurate focus at a higher speed.

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: November 25, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp!
Cons: auto focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Camera Used: K5

I don't think the current overall rating of this lens justifies 'just how good' this lens is.

First the so called 'downsides'... the lens I have needed 'fine adjustment'... I had to fiddle around with that for quite some time before I figured out where it needed to be. And if you set it to be 'spot on' at say 10 feet (wide open) it might be a little off if you shoot closer or farther away. This is more of a limitation of the AF system on the K-5 as well as the manufacturing tolerances of the F50 f1.7.

On the upside, this lens is near limited lens sharpness...not quite..but it is close. It's pretty zippy once you get it dialed in too. The sharpness wide open is pretty remarkable. Also some people want lenses that are faster (f1.4 or even f1.2) but the DOF with a Pentax 1.5 crop sensor makes those lenses not as useful at those apertures for 'walking around' in my opinion. The faster lenses are great (I have them too) but they are in my view more for artistic shots. It's not so easy to get a excellent focus at such shallow DOF without taking a lot of care in doing so. That said the f1.7 is a perfect combination for the 1.5 crop sensor due to DOF considerations. (Do the math yourself at various distances/ use a DOF calculator and see what I mean)

All that said, once you get this lens dialed in to your particular camera the results are great. And if you haven't gotten the point yet I took longer to dial in and 'figure out' this lens than any other lens in my bag. That said once you know that 'this lens is dialed in at 10 feet at f1.7' you can work accordingly. If you go off to other more close up shots with narrower DOF just skip the AF...turn on live view and manually focus for best results.

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Naples

Lens Review Date: November 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp!
Cons: Ugly and bad built. Soma AF inaccuracy.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8

The historical 50 mm 1.7 formula in the bad "F" built. Mine dont' focus fast... maybe my copy or its bad dialogue with mine k-5.

Sharpness and contras are ecceptional form f2 until f8. Very good colour rendition and good bokeh.

It's really usefull on apsc in many ways.

It's a good "street" medium tele.

It' a perfect low light lens, because it is sharp from f2 all across the frame.

And it's even a good potrait lens, at 1.7, where it's very sharp just in the centre and a bit more soft to the coreners. Bokeh is good too (not the best for portraits).

Registered: July, 2009

Lens Review Date: September 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: flare, fringing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01    Sample Photos: yes?

This lens has its (small) share of drawbacks. However, those things are irrelevant when you are using it, because you just end up drowning in an ocean of joy because this is the most fun and delightful lens I have ever used.

Sharpness is AMAZING across the entire frame. I used the M50/1.7 before getting this thing (at a HUGE bargain for $80 in pristine condition). I was familiar with the sharpness and the contrasty, characteristic rendering of the M50 but with the autofocus and improved coatings of the F50, it blew me away with its sharpness, especially when stopped down. At f/1.7 it's not so sharp, but step down to f/2 and it's already a dramatic improvement, f/2.5 and you can safely shoot knowing it's going to be pretty damn sharp.

Then comes the bokeh. In some situations, it's not that great. But when the right situation comes along (60% of the time for me), it's just astonishingly smooth and pleasant to look at. The color and contrast -- probably the most important aspect of this lens. It's like the rendering of the Limiteds. It can turn trash into treasure. It has the pixie dust. You can take a picture of the floor and it will look nice. There is so much depth in the rendering of this lens -- it's almost 3D.

Yes, as do all lenses at least ~10 years old (even the FA ltds), it has a fair amount of fringing and flaring. It's not even all that bad, though. I managed to remove a decent amount in a shot (sample below) aimed directly at the sun with tree leaves in front. For a F-series prime, I think that is pretty damn good. And I haven't run into a huge problem with flaring. Having the 15mm Limited, I am a bit spoiled, but I am reasonable -- and for the price and era of this lens, flare resistance is good enough.

Overall, for $80 -- I cannot express how pleased I am in words. Honestly, it's just an absolute joy to use and I would recommend this lens to any Pentax user. Even for $200. You won't get this lens' rendering from the FA50/1.4 or others -- that is a characteristic of the 1.7's.

All photos have had PP but I'm reasonable with my processing.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!