Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

88 287,972 Wed November 6, 2019

SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

This is a fast and compact standard autofocus lens. Optically the lens is the same as its A-series predecessor.

Various types
1987 to 1991
smc PENTAX-F 1:1.7 50
20837
Sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 88

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness
Cons: None really for f/1.7

Excellent value ... great on film & digital. I lucked out and picked up my copy of this lens cheap at a photo swap meet. A minuscule small patch of front coating flaked off, but zero impact on image quality IMHO.

Here are some first test of a SF1n that I purchased on the PF Marketplace using a F 50/1.7. The film is Fomapan 100 home developed in Rodinal (1+50 for 9 min.) ... x-post from B&W Film thread

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: November 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $38.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good bokeh
Cons:

Just got it, and I haven't done much with this lens yet.

- Pentax-F 50mm F1.7
- Pentax K-50 DSLR (16.3mp)
- mounted on tripod
- aperture priority
- ISO 100
- white balance set to AWB
- focus peaking enabled on camera
- using manual focus assist
- 2-second timer

Right-click the following image and click "Open Image in New Tab", then zoom in.

All jpegs right from the my Pentax K-50.

F1.7, 1/6000 second exposure:

Here is a shot with nice bokeh, I think I could have focused a little sharper:

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Lens Review Date: October 9, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, rendering, sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

I picked up a used copy from a neighbor for $65.00 US. Having the the FA 50 and DA*55mm, this lens is on par if not better than those in my opinion. I have used it for studio portraits and just on the streets and it has not disappointed! Very sharp, compact and love the colors. Definitely has that Pentax magic!

Registered: August, 2016
Lens Review Date: May 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp , colors, contrast
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: k-5iis

Very glad about this lens, very sharp at 7.1 and over, use it for several portrait shots, love this lens.
But I have a front focus issue with it, drop it, guess came from that drop.

Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania

Lens Review Date: January 24, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Colors, Contrast, Pentax magic
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K500

My preferred lens, my love, my limited, even if I have the real one: Fa 31mm limited! It's got magic, pixie dust, I just love the results! I won't talk about sharpness, contrast, colors, they're great! I think that the most appealing feature it's bokeh: it's smooth but well definied, creamy but noticeable! In my opinion this is the best tool for Flowers and Christmas pictures! I will show you why! I've tried almost all the variants of this lens: M, A, F. All are the same and all are beautiful lenses. Just pick one!

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado
Lens Review Date: September 23, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

Center is sharp @ f2. Close down to f5.6 or f8 this lens is sharp from corner to corner. Fast and accurate focus. A Pentax classics.

Marketplace Reseller

Registered: December, 2016

Lens Review Date: August 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $104.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great color rendition, sharp when stopped down
Cons: Soft wide open, screw drive AF, Plastic design
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

This has been my go-to lens for quite some time now. I have used it to shoot just about my entire portfolio. It is extremely sharp when it is stopped down and the color rendition is quite amazing. I have been pleasantly surprised because I bought this from KEH on a whim and it has turned out to be one of my favorite lenses.

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp from F2.2
Cons: Not so good focus ring
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: KP, K-30

This lens is very similar to DA50 F1.8, but a little sharper and more flaring. My copy was sharper then my DA50 and produced more lovely images. Finally I sold the DA50.
It's still not in the league of the FA43 or DA*55.

Here are some samples:
IMG161204_0008 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170805_0030 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Alberta
Lens Review Date: March 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $115.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast aperture, great bokeh, recessed front element, compact, fast focus
Cons: not WR, no quick shift, loud auto focus,
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-S2

One of my first lenses!
Super sharp fast 50.
Nice that the front element is recessed as then you don't need a hood as much.
Auto focus on it is pretty loud, but accurate and fast.
Perfect for portraits on apsc!

Registered: March, 2017

Lens Review Date: February 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: El precio, la nitidez, tamaño y peso muy comedido
Cons: Muy plasticoso y el anillo de enfoque es pequeño
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

Muy buen objetivo, lo compre barato porque estaba estropeado, lo limpié y arregle y la verdad que funciona excelentemente, lastima que a veces el AF, se pierde.
Es extraordinariamente nítido cuando se cierra un par de pasos el diafragma y sobervio en 5,6 8.
Lo recomiendo sin dudar, tengo el 1,4 m y la verdad lo único que me gusta más del manual es el anilo de enfoque, en este debido a su tamaño es muy pequeño y no facilita el agarre.
Dicho esto por el precio creo que no tiene rival alguno.

Registered: May, 2017
Location: Kiev

Lens Review Date: September 11, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: An interesting picture, similar to the photo from film cameras. A light weight. It looks beautiful on the camera. Good speed and accuracy of auto focus.
Cons: Plastic case (not as durable as other 50mm lenses).
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

The lens is excellent! I accidentally bought it. I was looking for FA 50 1.7. And I found this one. Cheaper. I tried to take pictures of them. I liked the result. And I bought it.
I liked the lens in the first place with an interesting picture, which he gives out. The photos taken with this lens, in my opinion, are more like photographs from film cameras. If you compare all 50mm autofocus lenses from Pentax. Lenses 50mm DA and FA series, in terms of sharpness, contrast and bokeh, exceed this lens. But despite all this, it's F50 1.7 I most often dress on the camera. It is lighter than all of them, by weight. And it is strong enough, at the same time. Photos with this lens are beautiful, with warm colors, emotional.
Given that the price of this lens is cheap, I advise you to buy it and use it as a regular lens. If you know how to handle photos well and make color correction and adjust the contrast when processing, then for you this lens will be just a godsend! It is cheap and light in weight. It looks beautiful on the camera. And it gives interesting photos.
Sharp already from the diaphragm 2,8. And on diaphragms 4 and 5,6 has the best parameters of sharpness. On a completely open diaphragm, it's interesting to take portraits. With the effect of blurring, both through silk fabric. A similar effect is provided by the application of the photo filter Marumi Silki Soft (A).
Good contrast can be achieved with the use of a lens hood on this lens. I advise you to always use the blend. I have an ordinary rubber hood, made in China. She gets good photos.
I advise this lens to purchase. Because personally I really like him.

Registered: June, 2016

Lens Review Date: October 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light,Sharp, Bokeh, price
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

Great cheap lens! handles well and produces good quality imagery. I enjoy the Bokeh of this lens, Not the best but is pleasant. Needs a good when outdoors otherwise it flares in overhead front light areas. Overall a great lens at a good price. Would recommend to anyone looking for a 50mm.

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colours, lovely rendering, light
Cons: Flimsy filter/hood ring, AF hunts

Takes lovely photos. Softish wide open but quickly sharpens up from f2.8 onwards, super crispy at f5.6 or f8. Classic Pentax colours and rendering that just makes you smile.
Some color fringing wide open, bokeh can be a little bit scratchy thanks to the 6 blade aperture (but that's no different to its M or A series predecessors), but in general this is a lens that just produces keeper after keeper.

Cons: the filter/hood ring is notoriously flimsy and the one on mine is broken. This is not a problem for me since I am not a heavy filter user and I find the front element to be well enough recessed to do without a hood. However, if you are a heavy CPL or ND filter user you might want to avoid this one because it will probably break eventually. I have seen them with the standard ring fully removed and an empty filter ring or step-up ring glued on in its place.
Secondly, this lens sometimes hunts like mad while autofocusing - this happens on all the cameras I've tried it on (I also tested it against the DA50/1.8, which doesn't hunt like this one). This is a bit annoying but not enough to stop me from rating it 9 for the lovely images it produces.

Overall highly recommended.

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: February 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: shaaaarp, fast, value, color and character, DR
Cons: AF calibration, color saturation at low light
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I get to comment on this lens after switching over from my "Sears" fast-50 primes of antiquity.

Pros:

Really beautiful, sharp photos. Manages a lot of "pop" up with the other great 1.7s out there. The tak 55 f/1.8 is the only one I've used that matches it (I haven't used too many). Brings out a lot of dynamic range compared to my zooms that cover its length. My DA16-45 never gets used at 45 because of this lens. I haven't sold that lens because it's the cheapest way to get a sharp 16mm. It can't compete--in colors it can, in DR it just cannot. In the right light, the colors can be uniquely characteristic without seeming eccentric.

Cons:

I'm not sure about the AF. It's hard for me to dial it in to the point where it will be bang-on at both 4 and 14 feet. Tweaking AF micro-adjustments seems like it's something that many people need to do with this lens. I don't have an AF film SLR, so using this on my K-1000 makes the focus ring feel very flimsy.

Good value. But then, are there many other 50 1.7 AF lenses out there? This, the DA, and the FA are kinda your options, unless you go f/1.4.

**I know this is solely dependent on focal length and f-number, but I find this lens to be a great candidate for the "Brenizer" panorama shots at wide apertures. That technique normally looks at fast 85mm and above, and can be pretty overwrought. But I find I can get a great panorama out of 12-15 quick shots at f/1.7 and it's becoming a go-to move. The results are striking but not garish. And the color depth just gets even better as you bring more OOF areas into your shot.**

Registered: October, 2006
Location: North Face of Mount Shasta

Lens Review Date: July 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $205.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at all apertures, light and small.
Cons: I will never get used to that F/FA exterior look.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20d, K3

I bought this lens 3.5 years ago from a fellow forum member. It was in very good condition and only needed a hood. Collapsible from Amazon did the trick.
I had a K20d at the time and wanted one of the Pentax legendary 50's ... my budget dictated this lens.
As it turned out, it became a regular on my camera and consistently produced excellent images. My only issue was the occasional hunting in anything but good light (mostly attributed to the K20). I shoot a lot of my son's basketball games for the school and lost a few good shots because of this occasional hunting.
I eventually picked up a Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DC HSM for his games and my F50 went into the bag ... that is ... until I got my K3. The other day I threw the F50 on the K3 and was blown away by the speed that this lens now focuses because of the stronger motor in the body and new focus algorithms of the K3's programming. I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming basketball season and see how she does.
This lens is now a complete pleasure to use ... sharp, fast and exhibits the beautiful look that only a Pentax prime can produce. It reminds me why I chose Pentax back in the 70's.

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!