Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

94 319,163 Sun April 18, 2021

SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

This is a fast and compact standard autofocus lens. Optically the lens is the same as its A-series predecessor.

Various types
1987 to 1991
smc PENTAX-F 1:1.7 50
20837
Sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 94

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Southern Finland
Lens Review Date: April 18, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, lightweight, nice rendering and bokeh, suits both FF and APS-C
Cons: Noisy AF, some film era aberrations
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-7, K-5, K-3, K-1

Years ago I got my copy of SMC-F 1,7/50 at a very low price, so I was lucky. It sure wasn't in mint condition, but optically all right. Though I did not use it very much with my APS-C bodies (K-7 / K-5 / K-3), I saved the lens in hope for getting a full frame Pentax someday. Finally, a year ago, I got my K-1, so now I have gained some experience with this lens in both APS-C and FF format shooting.

For both formats, I am very pleased with the sharpness and rendering of colors. Wide open feasible, from F2,2 very sharp in deed. It seems though that these film era lenses produce a different overall color reproduction than DA of DFA lenses.

AF makes noise, typical to F-lenses, but is usually fast and accurate enough for my purposes. I very seldom use manual focus.

I like the bokeh when using large apertures, but CA, which is typical for film era lenses, can be harmful sometimes.

For APS-C, the focal length is rather good for portraits. For FF, it's more of a general purpose lens - and very good for that. With apertures 1,7 - 2,8 even the famous pop effect can be achieved, and that's what I like most when shooting full frame with this.

I also have SMC-M 1,7/50 and SMC 1,8/55, that are optically about as good, but I prefer using the more plastic F-lens because of auto focus and auto exposure.

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: November 2, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: compacity, sharpness at full aperture
Cons: classic ugly pentax F look
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K1, MZ5N, ME Super

Probably my shortest review ever.

I liked my FA 50mm F/1.4, for APS-C portraitures, but it was far too soft on a K-1 for the typical use of a 50mm.
So I sold it and took the big heavy D FA 1.4, and these one for sure is my best 50mm, but compatible only with new cameras.

So this Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 is my favorite on film cameras, but alos when i want to shoot light with the K-1, and it gives excellent results, better than the 43mm limited in some point (chromatic aberrations in particular), even if it lacks the special rendering of the limited.

So for the price you can't go wrong, even if it is not your first "around 50mm" lens.

Registered: August, 2019

Lens Review Date: April 16, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

K10D

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Paris

Lens Review Date: December 11, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF on k-1, small, good mf grip, 49mm filter, personality
Cons: zero
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-3, k-1

having tested all pentax discontinued 50mm in m, f, af from 1.2 to 1.7, this is the best one without a doubt, on full frame K-1.

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: November 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sklo,ve všech aspektech,ostrý jak břitva.
Cons: Nic.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5IIs

Super,super,super. Nejlepší 50mm,co jsem kdy měl. Vřele doporučuji !!! . Skvělé sklo. Kdo se chcete podívat na první zkoušku... https://www.zonerama.com/Jindras/Album/5035609

Registered: January, 2018

Lens Review Date: November 23, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness wide open, price
Cons: no wr
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

Rather old Pentax-F lens with a good reputation. It has been a bit too long for my shooting preferences and I have only used it occasionally. When is use, the results have always been good.

Today, I decided to take a test series and only shot with this lens wide open. There is quite a lot of vignetting at f/1.7 but nothing which would make a typical night scene unusable.

Remarkably, the lens is sharp even at wide open. It is quite convenient to use and it focuses very well even in low light.

I think this is a remarkably good lens to be had for quite little money on eBay.

About the example image: 1/20s f/1.7 ISO 800 handheld, focusing into the fence. This is the image quality that you get without much effort in very low light with this lens.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness
Cons: None really for f/1.7

Excellent value ... great on film & digital. I lucked out and picked up my copy of this lens cheap at a photo swap meet. A minuscule small patch of front coating flaked off, but zero impact on image quality IMHO.

Here are some first test of a SF1n that I purchased on the PF Marketplace using a F 50/1.7. The film is Fomapan 100 home developed in Rodinal (1+50 for 9 min.) ... x-post from B&W Film thread

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: November 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $38.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good bokeh
Cons:

Just got it, and I haven't done much with this lens yet.

- Pentax-F 50mm F1.7
- Pentax K-50 DSLR (16.3mp)
- mounted on tripod
- aperture priority
- ISO 100
- white balance set to AWB
- focus peaking enabled on camera
- using manual focus assist
- 2-second timer

Right-click the following image and click "Open Image in New Tab", then zoom in.

All jpegs right from the my Pentax K-50.

F1.7, 1/6000 second exposure:

Here is a shot with nice bokeh, I think I could have focused a little sharper:

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Lens Review Date: October 9, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, rendering, sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

I picked up a used copy from a neighbor for $65.00 US. Having the the FA 50 and DA*55mm, this lens is on par if not better than those in my opinion. I have used it for studio portraits and just on the streets and it has not disappointed! Very sharp, compact and love the colors. Definitely has that Pentax magic!

Registered: August, 2016
Lens Review Date: May 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp , colors, contrast
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: k-5iis

Very glad about this lens, very sharp at 7.1 and over, use it for several portrait shots, love this lens.
But I have a front focus issue with it, drop it, guess came from that drop.

Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania

Lens Review Date: January 24, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Colors, Contrast, Pentax magic
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K500

My preferred lens, my love, my limited, even if I have the real one: Fa 31mm limited! It's got magic, pixie dust, I just love the results! I won't talk about sharpness, contrast, colors, they're great! I think that the most appealing feature it's bokeh: it's smooth but well definied, creamy but noticeable! In my opinion this is the best tool for Flowers and Christmas pictures! I will show you why! I've tried almost all the variants of this lens: M, A, F. All are the same and all are beautiful lenses. Just pick one!

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado

Lens Review Date: September 23, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

Center is sharp @ f2. Close down to f5.6 or f8 this lens is sharp from corner to corner. Fast and accurate focus. A Pentax classics.

Marketplace Reseller

Registered: December, 2016

Lens Review Date: August 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $104.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great color rendition, sharp when stopped down
Cons: Soft wide open, screw drive AF, Plastic design
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

This has been my go-to lens for quite some time now. I have used it to shoot just about my entire portfolio. It is extremely sharp when it is stopped down and the color rendition is quite amazing. I have been pleasantly surprised because I bought this from KEH on a whim and it has turned out to be one of my favorite lenses.

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp from F2.2
Cons: Not so good focus ring
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: KP, K-30

This lens is very similar to DA50 F1.8, but a little sharper and more flaring. My copy was sharper then my DA50 and produced more lovely images. Finally I sold the DA50.
It's still not in the league of the FA43 or DA*55.

Here are some samples:
IMG161204_0008 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

IMG170805_0030 by Benjámin Czétényi, on Flickr

Custom User Title

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Alberta
Lens Review Date: March 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $115.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast aperture, great bokeh, recessed front element, compact, fast focus
Cons: not WR, no quick shift, loud auto focus,
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-S2

One of my first lenses!
Super sharp fast 50.
Nice that the front element is recessed as then you don't need a hood as much.
Auto focus on it is pretty loud, but accurate and fast.
Perfect for portraits on apsc!
Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!