Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » F Prime Lenses

10.0
 10.0
11 72,028 Fri May 3, 2019
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro

This was the first 50mm autofocus macro lens made by Pentax. The optics are seated that far from the front that no separate lens hood is required.

1x

RH-RA 52mm
1988 to 1990
smc PENTAX-F 1:2.8 50mm MACRO
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Registered: May, 2017
Location: Vallès Occidental
Lens Review Date: May 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness and colors
Cons: Focus ring and AF noise

Good colors of the F series and great sharpness.

It is a very good macro, perfect for flowering photography and also very good for portrait. For micro fauna photography I prefer his brother the F100 f2.8, but for static elements this one is perfect.

A great macro lens, really good!

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Lens Review Date: March 15, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: S-H-A-R-P with nearly no distorition edge to edge
Cons: Largeish and slower AF
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5iis

This lens came as a surprise in an auction. I was bidding on a K100D (wanted to see the CCD images myself) that I knew had a nice telephoto with it and another unnamed largish lens. Got the K100D and telephoto for what I consider a steal ($50) and this lens was the one attached to the camera when I opened the box!

First, I have 11 Pentax 50ish lenses (4 AF and 7MF) and this is the sharpest of the bunch (the M50/4 Macro would be #2). It's the largest of the 50ish lenses (not as large as the new DFA50 - which is huge) but it weighs 385g while the M50s weigh in at 165g.

In addition to being sharp the front element is deeply recessed thereby protecting the glass from both damage and lateral light sources like a hood. AF is not terribly fast but its a macro lens.

Best surprise included in a camera purchase ever!

Lens Review Date: April 29, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $307.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely Sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3    Sample Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131890722@N06/17124178970/

Extremely sharp!Even at f/2.8. I do not think any other lens can be sharper than this one! Great contrast... A perfect lens for portraits.Actually you can use it for nearly every occasion.Highly recommended.

Registered: March, 2014

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: When used correctly it is perfect in every way!
Cons: It's only a 50mm
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

I was fortunate to purchase this lens on ebay as a new never been used lens. It was sitting in the post office waiting for me to pay the customs fees while my camera and 200mm M lens were stolen. As a result I replaced the stolen k20 with the k-3. This is the first lens I used on the k3. I took a walk around the Prince of Wales Hotel peninsula and took all kinds of photos of landscapes, drift wood and macros in early evening on an overcast day. The pictures that I took with this combination were a pleasure to see. I have never seen such consistency and accuracy in focusing, and to this day this is the most reliable of all the lenses that I have.

I wasn't planning on purchasing another Macro lens especially a 50mm but when I saw this one come up for sale I thought I would give it a try. It is a real treat to use. In a way I wish all my lenses were as unforgiving or accurate as this one. The contrast is exceptional, the color rendering beautiful and nicely rewards creative experimentation. Every picture thoughtfully composed is pleasingly rewarded. I am happy I pressed the shutter release button on the k3 when this lens is on it.

This lens does not apologize at all that it is a 50mm focal length neither does it apologize for not being a f1.2, or an f1.4, or an f1.7, or an f1.8 or an f2. Of course it is somewhat limited since it is an f2.8 but used correctly produces pictures that are second to none. It achieves clarity that the other lenses can only dream of. With higher ISO low light will work too if the camera can focus in low light.

One sunny afternoon I walked up to Cameron falls with the K3 mounted with this only to find a few photographers there with their big fancy Canons and there monster telephoto lenses that need a crane to carry. What were they taking pictures of? Well a pair of Harlequin ducks. Well my little K3 and 50mm lens snapped right into action and low and behold I now have some very beautiful images of this pair of ducks taken with this fantastic little lens.

Ooops should have brought the Pentax A 200mm Macro ED. Oh well here's what I got.

Am I happy with this lens? You bet I am. I don't always use this lens as I have other focal lengths that are more useful in bringing wildlife and wildflowers closer, but when I do use it I am never disappointed and am glad to have it in my macro arsenal for which I have found a use for that the other focal lengths are not as useful. I'll be keeping this lens.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Porto

Lens Review Date: May 2, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Build Quality
Cons: focus ring could be bigger...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-x, K-30

I recently traded this lens for the big sister F-100 2.8. And I’m pleased that the 100 behaves in a similar way.
The only reason I traded it was because I had to many 50’s and not much above that focal length.

This is beyond sharpness itself, even at f 2.8. The bookeh is one of the softest you can get.

Once you grab it you will fell that that thing is mostly metal and glass — really built like a tank!
Auto focus is surprisingly fast and accurate, even with its long focus throw.

Works well as a "normal" lens, with the con of being bigger and heavier than a 50 1.7 or 1.4.

This was one of the first pictures taken with it, even my dog behaves nicely when this lens was around.
(taken with the k-x, iso 1600, 2.8)

Another plus of this lens is that it might as well be the most beautiful lens of the F-Series:

Registered: August, 2013

Lens Review Date: January 28, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Kr

I am happy to be the sixth to write a review about this lens, I'm a happy owner of this lens.

I just can't give this lens less than a 10 for 2 reasons : first, the 5 persons before me gave a ten. Second, it really deserves a ten!!

Absolute sharpness at 2.8 at the center, in the corners, everywhere; excellent contrast, excellent CA, excellent bokeh, pefect IQ.

This lens is a perfect macro performer, easy to use, the AF is reliable and the lens can be used in any other situation since it is a fantastic 50mm.

I'm using it with a Kr and I just can't imagine what it would be with a Full Frame DSLR, maybe someday!

Registered: February, 2011

Lens Review Date: October 18, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, contrasty, handling

One of the sharpest lens Pentax ever made.
I sold my DA 35 F2.8 Macro shortly after I bought this lens.

Extremely sharp from wide open, as photodo test results can attest to that. It gets even sharper stopped down.
It is shorter than 100 macro, but more versatile for taking restaurant pictures or product shots.

If you are looking for a lens that takes extremely sharp pictures with great bokeh and excellent contrast, this is the lens to get.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: MD

Lens Review Date: July 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp, beautiful bokeh..
Cons: ring for manual focus is a little small

I got a used copy from ebay. This is the sharpest lens I own. I have the tamron 28-75, FA50 1.4 and a ltd. Nothing comes close to this lens for sharpness. I think the FA 50mm f2.8 shares exactly the same optical formula as F 50mm f2.8. If you see one, don't let it go.

Registered: April, 2008
Location: USA

Lens Review Date: August 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, great build, fast auto-focus
Cons: n/a

I would probalby give this lens a 10 if not for the small focusing ring which seems to be typical of F-series lenses. Most macro is done in manual focus so its important to have a larger grip ( for me anyway). I have to add though the auto-focus is very fast.
When it comes to IQ, I don't think you'll find a sharper lens. It also displays good contrast and colors.
Photodo rated this a 4.6 if that means anything. That puts it in the top rating as other macro lenses go along with the Tokina 90mm 2.5.
All in all it's just a fantastic lens in all aspects. Will double as a great portrait lens and a relatively fast 50.
It's also pretty much a rare find. I see the FA quite fequently but have only seen a couple F-series in the last few year up for sale.

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Australia

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreemely Sharp even to the borders.
Cons: Fine focus means slow focus but it is a macro.

This is the sharpest lens I own and it has depth in it's rendering typical of high quality pentax lenses. I am always on the lookout for a better macro but can't find one. DFA 100 comes close but IMO It's just not quite as sharp. Haven't tried the DFA 50 as yet.

Registered: August, 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon

Lens Review Date: September 1, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Does what it's asked
Cons: nothing bad to say

I have a lot of Pentax lenses, but I think this is the only F series that I have. I simply do not know have F lenses are different from FA. It was manufactured from 1988 to 1990 and is believed to be optically identical to the FA series lens which replaced it. It has a fairly standard 49mm filter thread on the front so it requires a 52/49 adapter to work with my ringlight flash---the AF080C.

It has an excellent optical quality reputation, and if I want to carry a fixed focal length prime---I often carry this one.

This is a good lens to have---even with the current digital equipment.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!