Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Zoom Lenses

7.4
 8.1
47 167,414 Tue April 11, 2017

SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8

This is the slower of the two FA 100-300mm lenses. It is made of plastic and does not feature power zoom.

F4.7-5.8
F32-38

APS-C: 16-5.5 ° / 14-4.6 °
Full frame: 24-8.2 ° / 20-6.9 °
RH-A58
70 x 128 mm (2.8 x 5 in.)
2000 to 2004
smc PENTAX-FA 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 47

Registered: April, 2017
Location: Wisconsin

Lens Review Date: April 11, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $82.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight (very!), shockingly sharp at >f8, Huge value to $ ratio
Cons: CA, feels "flimsy" (other side of the "lightweight" benefit coin!), plastic mount durability (?)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

I bought this lens from a Japan Ebay seller for $82 so that I'd have "something" (recently sold all my Canon gear and switched to Pentax K-1) extending beyond the 28-105mm range of my kit zoom. Accordingly, my expectations were quite low, but the lens has given me dozens of images that I would have completely missed, had I not had it in my bag (and the lightweight and inexpensive nature of this lens is the REASON it made it into my travel bag!). My prior experience with "entry level" zoom in this range was the Sigma APO DG 70-300 on my Canon (which I sold after acquiring the K-1). In my opinion, the Pentax 100-300 f4.7 just blows the doors off anything I was getting with the Sigma on my T3i.
I haven't shot with it much wide-open, yet, always leaning for f8 or higher, but the image stabilization in K-1 makes that "fine", even hand-held.

Here are just a couple examples from among dozens of similar quality:
Drake mallard, light by setting sun. Some processing, sharpening, etc., but the base image was terrific.

Another shot lit by setting sun. I uploaded this a bit larger size - click it twice to see the amazingly good sharpness of the very far away people, well-resolved. I was flabbergasted when I opened this image up at full res from my K-1.

Registered: March, 2012

Lens Review Date: September 30, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight, very sharp at f/11 and f/8, beautiful colors and nice bokeh. A lens hood is necessarely ( mine is rubber...Perfect )
Cons: Relative noisy and a certain impression of fragility.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax Kx and K50

I'm very happy with this lens bought at a very low price. Now it is always on my Kx ( the match is perfect ), waiting for the good opportunity and I find, each time, the results very interesting, much hightest than it could be excepted.

Registered: March, 2013
Lens Review Date: September 7, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: bokeh, range light-weight, price
Cons: autofocus, sharpness
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-x

My only telephoto lens. It has its strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths:
  • Bokeh. I love it.
  • Range. 100-300 is quite versatile.
  • Weight: It's huge but doesn't weight much.
  • Design. I like how it looks
Weaknesses:
  • Sharpness. Maybe it's just my copy, but it's not as sharp as my other lenses.
  • Autofocus. Quite slow and hunts a lot.
  • Noise. It scares animals off.
  • Lens speed. High ISO sensitivity is usually required.
I use it mainly for taking photos of:
  • Portraits.
  • Sitting animals.
  • Flowers.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: SzŠzhalombatta, Hungary
Lens Review Date: June 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $54.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice reach and very good value.
Cons: Feels cheap, doesn't come with a hood. Zoom creep.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K10D

This is a very good lens for the money! I got it for 15000 HUF, which is around $54. Mine is in quite good condition. This lans has some zoom creep, which can be annoying. It is also quite long, especially when extended. That is to be expected of a 300mm lens though. The mount is plastic, which makes you want to protect it. Well, actually the whole lens is of plastic, save for the lenses themselves. Autofocus can hunt and is quite slow, but it's mostly reliable. The front element rotates when zooming. However, for this price, this lens is capable of some very good shots! It's definitely worth it's money! Very good for beginners or those on a budget, like me. Grab a screw-in lens hood for it, and you're good to go!

Some sample shots:

I have to update my experience: It not only feels cheap, it is BAD build quality. Mine didn't last even one month! The zoom ring started clicking, getting stuck around 200mm, then the focusing ring too. I've been handling it like a baby, but it still wasn't enough. I'm not buying another one of these cheap pentax lenses from the late film era again... ever. I'll go for the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens instead. It appears, I just threw my money out..."

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Montreal
Lens Review Date: February 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: inexpensive, excellent quality
Cons: slow autofocus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K100D Super

For the price (under 100$ in used), it's a top lens! Very good quality, light, but a little bit slow and noisy.

I currently use the DA 55-300 (250-300$), but before that, my first tele was the Tamron Di LD 70-300 (120-150$). The Pentax seems (for me) a little bit better. It's a perfect lens to learn and begin.

Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania
Lens Review Date: February 10, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Color, bokeh, sharp
Cons: Chromatic aberations
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-x

This is a good tele lens. It's sharp from 100mm to 250mm and beyond you have to use a fast shutter speed to have good results. It has a very warm color rendition and can be used as a macro tool or even as a portrait lens. As a tele lens, will not disapoint, but i will not recommend it for birds...

Registered: May, 2015
Lens Review Date: May 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality price
Cons: plastic
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Hello my name is George and I am proud new owner of a Pentax K10D. I'm new to the DSLR world and I have much to learn thanks to you. I just bought this goal and even though I have not, my opinion is based on the product that I have discovered. I think that makes some pictures of ten, which only a few objectives, price much higher than this, get over it. I suppose you know her, but for those who do not, I hope will serve to weigh. And by the way, sorry for my English.

Location: Nevada, USA

Lens Review Date: December 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $77.03 | Rating: 8

Pros: Range, sharpness, light weight, AF speed
Cons: Light weight, construction, exposure, WB
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-30

I bought this lens a while ago when I was exploring >100mm focal lengths. It takes a special skill and talent to wield one of these photon busting canons. My initial results with any long focal length lens were poor until I started following some simple guidelines like minimum shutter speeds, mirror lock up, etc. I also had to experiment to figure out the ideal aperture settings at different focal lengths. It has taken me a while to get the hang of this lens and I still have a ways to go. Anyways, with that background in mind, here is my review of this lens.

Pros:
Sharpness : The lens is sharper at the wide end than at the tele end. It's noticeable when pixel peeping not when filling your 2-3 megapixel monitor. You'll definitely not notice anything in prints until you get big. But who views large prints up close, like 6" away, anyways? I'm finding that the lens is very sharp starting at around f/6.3 in the wide range and from f/8 at the tele end. Noticeable diffraction kicks in at f/11 and beyond at all focal lengths.

Aberrations : I don't notice any massive fringing, color shifts, or barrel distortion. Maybe I should shoot some more shots of bricks walls?

Colors and Contrast : I can get some wonderful colors and proper contrast from this lens. Improper white balance throws things off at at times (see below).

Bokeh : It can be smooth, wonderful, and creamy but it takes some work with proper settings and composition.

Range : Going from 100mm to 300mm feels like warping through time and space! It's massive when it's at those magnitudes!

Focusing : AF is fast and usually accurate. Your DoF at those long focal lengths is very thin. Even minimal camera shake can make my K-30 hunt for focus. That's more to do with technique than functionality.

Light Weight : The lens is made of plastic which is both good and bad. In this sense it's good because the lens is light and easy to handle.

Aperture Ring : DSLR bodies make the aperture ring obsolete since you can control the aperture with the body now. My film cameras, a ZX-60 and a PZ-20, have an Av mode which allows to do the same. Aperture rings are kind of a neutral for me but I know that users of older film bodies will appreciate it.

Handling : Standard fare here. Nothing feels hard to reach.

Full Frame : Never a bad thing! On APS you get extended telephoto capabilities. Soft corners are cropped out too.

Neutral:
Construction : The lens mount is plastic and I'm OK with that. I know some people prefer metal.

Cons:
Construction : I'm not against plastic lenses but this lens does feel flimsy. The zoom and focusing rings are not dampened so they feel like they're about to break off with the slightest force. Nothing wobbles and shakes in my copy but nothing feels solid like a DA 18-135mm.

Exposure : I've noticed that this lens tends to force my K-30's exposure meter to under expose in some cases. That throws the white balance off and my shots look warm. Since I shoot in RAW it's easy enough to fix. With the right setting the colors and contrast comes out perfectly though (see above).

Optically Slow : The lens is sharpest starting at f/6.3 at the wide end and at around f/8 in the tele end. Shutter speeds will be slow in low light unless you crank up the ISO. Perceived sharpness can be low if fine details get lost in the image sensor's noise.

Conclusion:
I have been wondering if I should keep this lens or move to a DA 55-300mm. Today I have decided to keep this lens. It's plenty sharp when properly used and it's full frame capable. I can use this lens on my DSLR with APS sized sensors and on my film bodies. If/when Ricoh releases a FF DSLR then I'll be ready for that too. There are higher end lenses that are optically faster and are no doubt sharper ... but they also cost a whole lot more than than the $77 I paid for this lens. I'm sure that there are several modern consumer grade zooms from Sigma and Tamron that are better than this lens but, again, they also cost more too. This lens is a great value for the money that I paid and for the use I will get out of it. I don't shoot enough telephoto to warrant a high end long range zoom and I would probably opt for a prime before I go to a zoom anyways.

This lens paired up nicely with my 16 MP K-30. Lower MP cameras will love this lens. I don't know if the 20 MP and higher sensors like what is found in the K-S1 and K-3 will "break" this lens. FF performance probably be different too. Corners that may be soft were cut out by the smaller sensor.

Samples:
Here are three sample images I made. They were shot in the golden hour of the later afternoon one day after the shortest day of the year. The first shot came with good light, low ISO, and damn near perfect focus. This is the shot that convinced me this lens is capable of great IQ.

IMGP5012
by Never Off, on Flickr

Once the sun starting setting and going down my ISO started climbing. Finer details in the shot started to blend in with the sensor's noise.

IMGP5022
by Never Off, on Flickr

The bokeh isn't too bad either. You got a taste of it in the first shot. Here's some more.

IMGP5023
by Never Off, on Flickr

Lens Review Date: December 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, sharp, good colour and contrast, across the full zoom range
Cons: Lightweight build doesn't inspire confidence
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Samsung GX-20

I had no need to buy this, but when an eBay auction came up offering the FA 35-80mm f4-5.6, the FA 80-200 f4.7-5.6, and this lens together, curiosity got the better of me, and £43 including postage later I was the proud owner of all three. I apportioned this total to give the indicated price.

These lenses can have seen little use. They look optically perfect, their bodies are almost unmarked, their zoom mechanisms are astonishingly smooth, and there is none of the looseness that characterises the other silver FA lenses I have owned and used. They are plastic, with plastic mounts, and look flimsy, but the benefit is lightness. Whereas the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro weighs over 600 gm, this only weighs 400 gm.

I spent a couple of afternoons playing with this, the Sigma, the Pentax F 70-210 mm, the Pentax FA 80-200mm f4.7-5.6, and some Tamron Adaptalls with the Pentax 1.7x AF in the back garden, once on a sunny day, and once on a miserable grey day when I had to shoot hand held at 1/50 s or less at all focal lengths. My conclusions were:
  • The Adaptall/Pentax 1.7x AF combination lacks contrast compared with the AF zooms, and there was no reason to prefer any of the Adaptalls (the 03B 135mm f2.5, the 04B 200mm f3.5 and the 19AH 70-210mm f3.5) plus the Pentax 1.7x AF over any of these, except the F 70-210mm at 200mm.
  • At 70 mm the order was 1 Sigma 70-300, 2 Pentax F 70-210, and they are close
  • At 100mm the order was 1 Sigma 70-300, 2 Pentax F 70-210, 3 FA 100-300, 4 FA 80-200. The Sigma is a bit ahead, and the other three are very similar.
  • At 200mm, the order was 1 FA 100-300, 2 FA 80-200, 3 Sigma 70-300, 4 F 70-210. The FA 100-300 is a bit ahead, the Sigma 70-300 and the FA 80-200 are similar, and the F 70-210 is just awful.
  • At 300mm, the order was 1 FA 100-300, 2 Sigma 70-300, and by a clear margin if you pixel peep.
I used a hood on all of them.

This lens doesn't play well with the Teleplus 2x Pz-AF DG MC4. My results with the Sigma 70-300mm and, especially, the FA 80-200 are better at all the focal lengths they have in common.

However, in every other respect I am very pleased with it. Colours, contrast and sharpness all excellent in the centre of the frame. A bit of blue fringing on high contrast transitions near the edges of the frame beyond the plane of focus, and purple in front of the focus frame, but otherwise no aberrations.

So I give it 9.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: South Florida

Lens Review Date: November 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp and great colors
Cons: Flimsy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 5    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5, K-3

I bought this lens on impulse because I had nothing that went to 300 mm. For the price ($110) I felt I could discard it if it was horrible. I did not take the lens very seriously for a while, using my 70-210 zoom instead since I was used to it and it takes superb pictures (rated here as a 8.20). The pictures I did take looked good but I never bothered to do a critical test. Well, I am doing that with all my lenses now after I used this lens in the Florida Keys for sunset shots and came out with some super pictures. In critical back to back tests this 100-300 zoom performed about equal with the respected 70-210. There was a slight difference in the corners but that was it. Of course, the lens is flimsy (don't drop it !!!) but I only paid $110, brand new. I am using this lens now as my standard long zoom, and of course I get weird looks from Nikon-Canon owners.....!!!

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Low cost
Cons: Soft focus, fringing, noisy,
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 6

Only had this lens for a short period and resold it. It was very inexpensive and some of the reviews indicated it produced some nice pictures. I am just getting into some nature photography and thought it would be a good start, but the quality of images was very disappointing. Took many different images in nature and some candids from a distance. Did not like the output at all. Soft, washed out color.

Ended up with a 60-250mm DA zoom to replace it (which is surprisingly shorter).

Registered: June, 2014
Lens Review Date: June 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: optics
Cons: rotating front element
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-r (12 Mpx)

good lens

Registered: August, 2010
Location: S„o Paulo, Brazil

Lens Review Date: February 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: cheap, sharp
Cons: slow and noisy focus, prone to zoom creep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-x

Very good lens for the price. A good copy will be sharp and have superb color rendition, specially because it's an FA so you'll be only using the center on APS-C. Use a hood to control aberrations and improve contrast. The downside is that it's a screwdriver lens, with a long focus throw, so expect some long AF action (up to 1 sec). Manual focus is flimsy, so can't count on it either. If you work around it's limitations though it will deliver. Some samples:

IMGP5025 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

IMGP3808 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

IMGP4145 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

IMGP4134 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Lens Review Date: January 31, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp lens, few CA's - stopped a few down no CA's
Cons: not so good for tele converter
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: k-x,k200

I'am very content with this lens.

300mm with f8-11 are excellent sharp, much more better than sigma or tamron lenses with similar start aperture.

For macro shootings I've another favorite.but with achromatic focal reductor the sharpness of 300mm tele shootings are really sharp.

not so good for converter using neither on the top, nor on the back side of this lens.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Lima-Peru

Lens Review Date: December 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, Good IQ, Sharp
Cons: Slow AF, big,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: pentax k-30

AT the beggining i bought this lense with a filter, and the images weren't that good, then i took the filter and it turn out to be an amazing lense for the price. For less that 100 you can't go wrong with this one,

gato 1 por [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/96617340@N08/]
Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!