Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Review RSS Feed

77 256,182 Mon May 1, 2017

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

This Limited lens features all-metal barrel and a built-in hood. It is known for delivering exceptional wide-angle image quality.

Built-in
Dedicated pouch
Dedicated metal push-on
SMC,Ghostless
65 x 68.5 mm (2.6 x 2.7 in.)
2001 to Present
$880 USD at launch
smc PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 31mm AL Limited
20280 (silver), 20290 (black)
One aspherical element, one ED element, one high refraction low dispertion element.
Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 77

Registered: February, 2011
Lens Review Date: August 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, Rendering
Cons: No quick shift, no WR
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

It's tough to reasonably imagine a much better lens.

Bokeh is the best I've ever seen for a wide-angle. Pretty sharp.

Aberrations are only OK, but controllable.

Lens Review Date: January 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $954.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: My copy is very sharp even wide open.
Cons: A bit expensive...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I've always wanted an FA Limited but am unable to afford one until now. I find the most useful for me to be the 31mm focal length. It's really amazing, i've never had a lens like that even if mine is a used copy... i would only go for a Made In Japan copy over an Assembled In Vietnam copy... I found one that is almost perfect.

Lens Review Date: January 18, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f1.8, crazy shap at f5.6, nice feel,
Cons: Expensive, no quick shift
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

Construction: + very nice (metal feel, smooth operating focus ring) - the front part extends when focusing and is not all tight leaving a little "wobbling" (I suppose there is an engineering reason for that). A big plus is the presence of the aperture ring that will allow me to use it on a film camera.

Sharpness: this lens is sufficiently sharp wide open even in the corners. It gets sharper when closed down. At f1.8, I find the FA 31 sharper than the new Sigma 35 f1.4 that I own and that I consider very sharp.

CA: less than my FA 77, DA 50 f1.8, a very little more than the DA 40. OK for Pentax lenses.

Auto-focus: fine and fast enough for what I want to use it for.

Bokeh: superb

Colors out of my K5 with the FA 31 are great. It is expensive, but I believe that it is worth it.

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful rendering, great contrast, nice bokeh
Cons: a little CA and no quick shift manual focus, hardly worth mentioning
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5 IIs, K-01, K-7

There isn't much that I can say about this lens that hasn't already been said.

If you're looking for a "standard" prime on a Pentax DSLR with APS-C image sensor then there is no better lens than the FA 31mm F1.8 Limited.

The bokeh from this lens is nice and smooth even when you stop down a little for some extra DOF. The way this lens renders details and specular highlights is nothing short of exceptional. The build quality is typical "Limited" excellence.

You can find some aberrations in some but it's so minimal that it's largely a non-issue. Len flare when you're shooting toward the sun can be annoying but if you add the long end of a Panasonic FZ18 adapter tube to the lens (as mentioned several times in the forums here) the modified "hood" solves the worst of the flare issues.

Some DSLR users might find the lack of quick shift manual focus to be annoying but I've found the AF quick and reliable on my K-5 IIs and K-01 bodies and if I ever need manual focus I'll flip the switch on the body.

HIGHLY recommended.

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Gloucester

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness; Rendition; Build Quality; Bokeh
Cons: Built-in lens hood makes step up rings unusable
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

What can I say that others haven't said before? I never cease to be amazed by this jewel of a lens.

Update: I have now had a chance to use this lens on the full-frame K-1, a purpose for which it was surely designed. I must say, that I am blown away by the amount of detail the camera/lens combination can capture, something to which the reduced image uploaded can never do justice. The lens is insanely sharp at f5.6, and the rendition and micro-contrast are simply awesome.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: egypt

Lens Review Date: September 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh ..sharpness
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k5

No more here to add. the lens is the pentax charisma. the bokeh is awesome also the sharpness .
I paid 1400$ for it but no regret. it's worth

Registered: October, 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Lens Review Date: August 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $989.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Contrast, Color Trueness, Construction, AF Speed, Fixed Lens Hood, Aesthetics
Cons: Sometimes it's too sharp.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-7, K1000, KM, KX, K2, K-3, K-S1, K-S2

I've used the 31mm FA Limited for about seven months now and feel I can finally write a reasonable and informed review after my recent trip to Japan with it. In three weeks, I shot about 7,000 photos with this camera at the beach, near the ocean, being splashed by some inconsiderate jerk at the ocean, inside a bulk fuel storage tank, inside an incredibly hot fuel pump house, in two thunderstorms, and in a crowd exceeding 20,000 people. In every situation, the lens performed beautifully on both the Pentax K-7 and Pentax K1000 that I brought on the trip.

Note that during rain, when I was splashed, and in a very-find-dust environment when entering the fuel tank I kept the camera wrapped in plastic to prevent water and dust from getting into the lens. This lens is NOT weather sealed (I don't think it needs to be) and should be protected in harsh environments.

This is the sharpest lens I own. I use it for photographing people, objects, and architecture. In each case, it performs well. The AF is fast enough to focus on people moving quickly at sporting events. But sometimes the lens is TOO sharp. With some people, the lens captures so many details as to make portraits unflattering. In some cases, this lens has made the people I photograph look about ten years older. Typically, the lens is honest in how it portrays people, but for people with wrinkles or lines, it grabs onto them and really makes signs of age apparent.

For architecture and product work, this lens is tops. I think my photos will speak for themselves.

This lens, today, is going for between $1,200 and $1,300. I picked it up for $989 a couple years ago. Could I justify up to $300 more if I needed to replace this lens -- YES. Emphatically yes. This was a great purchase and has, in very short order, become one of my workhorses and a keystone in my lens lineup. In fact, this lens' quality spurred me to pick up the 77mm FA Limited lens last month.

K-3 Samples:

K-S1 Samples:

K-7 Samples:

With my K1000:

Registered: June, 2010

Lens Review Date: March 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, Sharpness
Cons: Price
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5 iis

I will make this one short. Do not expect sharpness across the frame at wide apertures. I am cracking up with some of the reviews that list that as a downside. If it was sharp across the frame at 1.9 we could pretty much throw away the ‘bokeh’ category… because it wouldn’t have any. That is one of the main benefits to using a wide aperture. Also folks, aperture has a relation to focal distance. Don’t expect a sharp image if you are shooting a landscape at infinity at f/2.

I would say the strongest point of this lens is the bokeh. One of the smoothest around. Produces excellent ‘portraits.’
The sharpness is the second strong point. The slice of focus at the wider apertures is very sharp.. but granted, it is just a small slice at the wide end, as it should be.
A little bigger than most primes of this focal length but it is a good universal size and weight for most cameras.

That is my short review as many others have said the rest. Love this lens!

Registered: April, 2010

Lens Review Date: February 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, background blur, uniformity across the frame
Cons: somewhat hefty, built-in hood not very useful
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

I was longing for this lens for a couple of years. I hesitated to buy it because it was somewhat pricy and I had DA* 16-50 which produces really great images around that focal length, even wide open.

However, I had had FA77 and wanted something in the same league for wider angle shots. Finally it was time to upgrade the aging K-7 I had and I couldn't resist any longer and ordered FA 31 as well.

The first impression was rather disappointing because it just wasn't sharp the way I expected wide open. FA 77 was much better at 1.8 in comparison. However, stopped down to 2.2-2.8 the sharpness of FA 31 was just brilliant in center and across the frame.

Another source of disappointment was the lack of expected 3d effect. I can point FA 77 pretty on everything and it magically produces an appealing image, often having that 3d feeling. I couldn't do that with my copy of FA 31. I blame "Assembled in Vietnam" stamp as opposed to "Made in Japan" of FA 77 but not sure since I don't have another copy to confirm that.

It was not that I didn't like it, I found it amazing at landscapes or group shots at f/4.0-5.6 but taking photos at 1.8 was something I couldn't afford myself. I decided to wait until I get used to it before making final judgement.

Now, after a year passed, I think I've finally found the way to use it properly. The point is that the lens open at f/1.8 produces great, sharp images when distance to subject is very close. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw or some feature of this lens copy or just focusing issues but now I don't hesitate to shot wide open when choose the subject properly:

All in all it is a superb lens and the competition's equivalents are just monstrous, albeit a stop faster. I hesitate to switch brands because of great Pentax FA 31 and FA 77 lens - there is simply no substitute.

Registered: February, 2007
Location: Phoenix

Lens Review Date: January 31, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color rendering, bokeh, construction
Cons: Silly lens hood and cap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K100D, K20D, K-x, MX, K2

An updated review after a few years...

This lens is nearly perfect in every way. The "personality" of the images it captures are unlike any other lens I have used. It is equally brilliant as a normal prime on APS-C and a wide angle on 35mm. In the hand it feels like an extension of one's mind...it really is that good.

I've had this lens for maybe 5 years now, so I have come to learn some of its...idiosyncrasies. The biggest drawbacks I have found have nothing to do with the images, however. The first is the silly lens hood, which is so small it seems to only be good for use at noon in the tropics. This lens is so flare-resistant a hood is unnecessary, but it would be nice to have the option of using a "real" hood if need be. I use a few old flare-prone color filters with B&W film that could really use a good hood in certain shooting conditions. The second issue is with the lens cap. It is a beautiful piece of machined aluminum to be sure, but the felt has a tendency to gather dust and grit, which has resulted in a good deal of brassing along the front edge of the lens hood. A minor point, and I personally like the look of a well-loved lens, but something to be aware of.

Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Lens Review Date: January 31, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Magical rendering, super sharp, fast, beautifully built and a joy to handle
Cons: Absolutely nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 IIs, K-01, Q

What can I add to the body of literature on this legendary lens?
Put simply, it is underrated. Even at its hefty price it is good value for money.
As an added bonus, it makes a stellar mid-telephoto macro lens when coupled to the Q.

I have no pretensions to being an elite photographer, but for those interested, a link to my "Single in January 2013" shots taken with the FA31 can be found here

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Lens Review Date: December 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, amazing IQ
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

I have wanted this lens for a long time. Two months ago I found a used one at the Henry's show (lucky for me it was hidden under some Nikon boxes) and saw the price and picked it up immediately.

It is a fixture on my K5 along with my DA Limiteds. The IQ is stunning and the lens lives up to its reputation. My only regret is I waited this long.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Lens Review Date: October 21, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Soft at 1.8 (perfect portraits), Sharp past 2.8, Bokeh rendition, color, contrast
Cons: Soft at 1.8 (for handheld at night), price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-7

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. It renders like no other. Contrast and color are fantastic right out of the raw file.

Portraits: great wide open. Even thought it is a little soft, it creates glowing portraits with wonderful 3D bokeh. The pixie dust is there!

Landscape: Sharp past F2.8. Great for night photography also as it creates beautiful starbursts after F10.

I was skeptical about its value. It is EXPENSIVE! When I got it I expected it to be super sharp! It is not... Wide open it is soft(ish) but slightly stopped it is amazingly sharp. Like I said, the softness I find an advantage for portraits. I do think the price is entirely justified. Just buy it! You will not regret it!

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Kyoto

Lens Review Date: October 13, 2012 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Kills LBA dead.
Cons: Diminishing returns.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K10D

Let's get it out of the way now: if you feel that this lens offers poor value for money, go ahead and buy one of the other Pentax primes instead. If you'll accept my recommendation, I suggest the DA 35mm F2.8 macro as the best performance for your dollar, and be sure to consider the FA35/2 and DA35/2.4 also.

The FA31 is not of that material world of measurements and money. She (for it is so) is the prima donna of the Pentax lens catalog. The best lens Pentax ever made, and arguably the best lens from any of the major SLR companies. Yes, better than the Distagon T* 35/2 ZF/ZK, if you insist on knowing how it stacks up against the clearest competitor.

But, please, that would be like trying to score Placido Domingo on points against Maria Callas. Really, a pointless waste of effort, and frankly a disservice to both singers and the art in general.

To see the attraction of the FA31, you have to be able to feel the rush, the wonder, in obtaining a lens that combines a 31mm (47mm eff APSC) field of view with the discipline, smoothness, and depth of a medium telephoto portrait lens. Essentially, it turns your APSC dSLR into a 6x7. If you don't see how fabulous that might be, great, take the blue pill, buy the DA35 on your way out. I'm just trying to convey my thoughts. No evangelism from me.

I do not think buying the FA31 is a good idea for most people. Those who do may be disappointed, and will be, thinking that for the price paid they deserve clinical perfection.

Still I remember the first day I went out with the lens on the front of my K10D (excellent pairing as far as handling goes, by the way). I took some photos of my daughter in a restaurant, just off-the-cuff kind of stuff, fooling around. I was floored by the results. Just plain gorgeous. Stunningly deep color, superb skin tones, and a confident, masterly rendering of the background blur.

Several years later, I'm still just as much in love with my FA31 as I was that first day, more so even.

Marriage? That pretty much describes it, yes.

Location: Aarhus

Lens Review Date: September 8, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,340.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, great bokeh, good colours
Cons: purple fringing, price, large cap, feeling of the focus ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 5    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K7 and LX

This review is for a AIV lens.

This is a good lens with a solid build quality that is capable of producing beautiful pictures.

When I bought this lens i did it on the basis of the legendary reputation it had. I simply had to see what all the fuss was about. I was certainly not disappointed, but at the same time I was not overly excited about the lens. The lens itself is not entirely to blame for this because part of the problem I had with the lens is the focal length itself. When I shoot a film SLR I simply find the 31mm not wide enough for many of the subjects I shoot. When I use the lens on a DSLR I find the focal length ok. Because I do not find the focal length so useful, I rarely use this lens. The pictures produced with this lens are good, but I do not think it lives up to the reputation that is build around this lens.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!