Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6 Review RSS Feed

7.0
23 128,979 Thu September 27, 2018

SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6

This lens comes in both silver and black finishes.

F4-5.6
F22-32

APS-C: 45-20 ° / 38-17 °
Full frame: 63-30 ° / 54-25 °
1999 to 2005
smc PENTAX-FA 1:4-5.6 35-80mm
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-23 of 23

Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Lens Review Date: November 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros:
Cons:

Not a bad lens. For the price, of course. In terms of IQ it is on par with the digital basic lens - the 18-55. And since you can get this piece of glass and rattling plastic almost for free, it's worth a try as a longer alternative to the kit zoom. On film it is even more usable, the range becomes more useful and the lens really is small and light. But don't expect miracles - noisy (but fast) AF, rotating front element, no hood, awful build quality, plastic bayonet, clumsy aperture ring, no DoF scale, slow...

Registered: September, 2012

Lens Review Date: September 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Fairly sharp, cheap
Cons: Construction, flares
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: MZ-M and K-r

I've had this lens for about 10 years now, and it has held up quite well. It takes sharp pictures when stopped down to about f7, but wide open it's a little soft. The focus ring feels loose and drifts when in MF mode (the AF on my K-r keeps it in check though). I got it for $200 brand new, but like I said, that was about 10 years ago. Now, if you find a used one they go for $50 or less, and for that price it's a great walk-around lens with which you can get some surprisingly good and sharp pictures. Here are a few examples, all shot with the K-r:

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Greenhithe, Kent UK

Lens Review Date: February 23, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast focussing, lightweight
Cons: not experienced plastic mounts before so not sure of durability
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K5

I managed to get one of these on ebay recently for 15 +5 postage. It arrived yesterday so I put it on the camera and tried it out today whilst walking the dogs. WOW! for the money I paid, I am well pleased with it's sharpness and ease of use. I found it focussed quickly on the subjects. I even tried doing some comparison shots with my DA 50-200 at same focal length equivalents and found it sharper. I don't mind keeping this on the camera for general use when out walking as it is light and for what I paid I won't mind if it takes a few knocks when slung over my shoulder. I haven't experienced using plastic mounts before so I don't know how durable the are.

I have uploaded an album - see my album on Testing the lens.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee

Lens Review Date: January 16, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: light weight sharp
Cons: slow
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 4    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I won this lens for a $2.34 on ebay I didn't expect much. I was totally blown away with the sharpness and speed of AF on both my DL and ZX-7. It has become my walk around lens

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey

Lens Review Date: August 3, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Lightweight, 1:4 macro
Cons: Plastic body, so what? I't's almost free.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I can't believe above reviews, probably only explanation is IQ differs from lens to lens, I am giving this lens a well deserved 9 not a 10 just because legendary lenses for instance Voigtlander 125mm Apo-Lanthar Macro's IQ. I am posting three samples, direct from K200D's jpeg engine, just resized nothing else, EXIF's are intact ,so don't believe anyone, just you decide by yourself.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Lens Review Date: June 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Light weight and compact, useful range, close focus
Cons: Slow, mostly plastic including the mount

This is a nice inexpensive lens. It is incredibly light and very compact for a nice outdoor walk-around lens. Close-up focusing is available throughout its range, and quasi-macro (1:4) performance is quite good. It is pretty slow and not that wide, so not ideal for indoor use. I find at 35mm I can snap pictures of my kids in a scene, while zooming in to 80 gets me up to their faces for candids. I've had pretty good luck with this and with the F version, especially using a hood - pretty similar IQ to the DA 18-55. I wouldn't spend more than $25 or so on one, but at a low enough price point the lens can be useful.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Lens Review Date: February 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $27.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice soft lens (when that effect is desired), light, cheap, useful focual range, works on digital and film cameras. Auto focus and manual focus.
Cons: Slow aperture. Kinda plasticy build but not flimsey.

This review is relative to the low cost of the lens, it's super affordable.

Nice soft lens (when that effect is desired) :

Do we always want razor sharp photos ? No. For example, when shooting a person with skin blemishes or wrinkles, do you want those imperfections in sharp focus ? Another example, when selling things on eBay or Craiglist do you want the dust to show ? I think there is a place for a lens that is not razor sharp.

Light :

It's as light as a DA-L lens

Cheap :

In 2010 it's always less than $30 US delivered.

Useful focal range :

35mm is "normal" focal length for 1.5x crop cameras (like 50mm on film)

80mm is "portrait" focal length for 1.5x crop cameras (like 120mm on film)

Works on digital and film cameras :

The lens can be auto focus or manual focus, auto aperture or manual aperture.

It's OK for the price

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Winter Haven Florida

Lens Review Date: February 20, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very light weight, AF is quick, IQ is surprisingly good
Cons: cheap plastic body.

I'm surprised no one else has reviewed this lens. This lens came with an older film camera I purchased on ebay. I haven't had the chance to try it out in practical use but, I just spent a couple hours comparing this one against several other lenses in this focal range that I own. they include the Tamron #44A-28-70mm #27A SP28- 80mm #159A 28-70 and the classic SP90mm macro. my conclusion, at 6.5ft from my chair to the speaker on a corner shelf in my computer room...
the IQ is so very close, if it wasn't for the macro use of the SP90, I wouldn't pay the extra $100 for the sp90mm!
I'm going to try to link the images to this so you can see for yourself.

Well, I'm not sure what happened but I've lost those pix, I'll try to find them an re-post.

Pentax 35-80 @ 80mm

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!