Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » FA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Review RSS Feed

10.0
36 111,715 Fri June 9, 2017
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

This macro lens features 1:1 magnification. The optics are seated so far from the front that no separate lens hood is required.

1x

RH-RA52
Focus Clamp
1990 to 2004
smc PENTAX-FA 1:2.8 50mm MACRO
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 36

Registered: April, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 9, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, robustness
Cons: big for its focal length, focus a bit noisy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-50

Bought for 90 euros in mint condition (I mean, really mint. Seems to have just been unboxed), a real steal. Enough giggling!
This lens is definitely super-sharp, I struggled to find some softness in the extreme corners at f2.8, I must say I could find a bit but it's really hard to notice; at f4 the lens is PERFECT on APS-C and 16MP.
The bokeh is very good even though not exceptional while the aberrations are essentially negligible.
I found some purple borders where a strong light reflection hits a surface but again, I'm really looking for the smallest flaws.
This glass is awesome!
Autofocus is somewhat noisy and sometimes not so precise.
One reason why I bought this lens is to combine it with a slide duplicator tube... and slides duplication is going very very well! Believe me, it is not an easy thing to accomplish this with any lens, you really need something like this jewel: it can focus so near (and without curvature issues) that I can work with a slide duplicator intended for full frame cameras and fill the APS-C frame with the slide image.
I also changed my mark on autofocus, an 8 is proper, 7 was too punishing in spite of some inconsistencies.
I hope I can find the time to test the lens on my Fuji XT-20, ruling out the anti-aliasing filter and raising the bar to 24MP, stay tuned!

Registered: October, 2016
Location: New York City

Lens Review Date: November 15, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharp, fast, bokeh
Cons: not really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Very sharp, need +1 to +2 AF adjust on my K5IIs body. Aberrations is very very good, rarely see any.
AF was a little off, but after the AF adjustment, it is perfect.
Only problem I have is focus distance a little too short. hit my aquarium from time to time.
The picture of Yamato Shrimp is before AF adjustment, crystal shrimp after.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Florence
Lens Review Date: October 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharp
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1

Registered: May, 2016

Lens Review Date: July 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast accurate focus on K1
Cons: Heavy, but feels good on K1. Bokeh busy in some situations.

This is my third of three FA lenses for my new K1, and my best yet by far. I love my FA 35 2.0 and FA 50 1.4, but this lens is in another class. It's surprisingly quick to focus and very accurate, even with a single point. It slows down in dim light of course, but it's still decent. I haven't had it rack through the focus range once yet. I suspect I'll be using it the most from here on out because the sharpness and contrast are kind of addictive (at least until I spring for a limited).

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest USA

Lens Review Date: September 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $135.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, versatile, flare resistant, superb optics
Cons: a little big and heavy, hunts at 1:1
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5IIs

Prices for this classic Pentax lens have dropped considerably in recent years which amazes me considering the fact that the full frame camera will be out soon. I am convinced that this high resolving lens will be absolutely perfect on FF.

I can't imagine how much it would cost to make this lens today. It would probably cost a fortune, so I feel very lucky to have found one for a mere $135.00. It's a sharp, solid performer that does the job both in the field and in the studio. Nice for portraits at 2.8. ( If it's too sharp for you at 2.8 I would recommend using a Tiffen Soft FX1 filter.) 1:1 and 1:2 macro can be problematic. You need to stop way down because the depth of field is so incredibly thin. Every serious macro photographer knows the drill. Focus stack.

This lens has been called ugly by many people. it is indeed a spare unadorned tube, but it is still beautiful to me. It has very rugged durable metal build quality. An amazing, truly classic lens. Believe me!

PS. Most of the pictures here don't do this lens justice.

6 MONTH UPDATE: Best AF lens I've ever owned.

Registered: May, 2009
Location: India

Lens Review Date: June 8, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, contrast, Sharpness, bokeh
Cons: May be, bit heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K20D, K7

First bought a FA 100mm, but due to some problems, returned it. Skeptically bought this lens and have no regrets after buying. Excellent built and optical quality. Amazing sharpness as well as perfect bokeh for macros. I'm Loving it.

Lens Review Date: May 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Accurate Focus, Built like a Tank
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Excellent lens from the generations of great Pentax glass. The IQ is wonderful and not only love it for macro but it works well as a portrait lens too.

Registered: September, 2014

Lens Review Date: October 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp, no CA, build
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K10D, K30

Perfect lens for nature photography

Location: California

Lens Review Date: May 16, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I am a man of few words and I believe one image is worth thousand words. Here is one, expect more later on:
Backyard with a View by Palenquero, on Flickr

YellowRoses-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

theocean-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

thepier-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

alcachofa-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Location: Svealand
Lens Review Date: December 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $296.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, solid, bokeh, great alround lens
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

A great lens and if I'd had to keep only one lens it would be this one. It's FF, macro, great bokeh. It's good in every way and I'm happy I did find this one for sale.

Lens Review Date: October 10, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Metal build, sharpness and bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

Great lens, well built and heavy as I love them.
For the macro is more, it provides stability.
Perfect for portrait and macro is it an ideal lens for nature walk.

Photos with this lens here.

Location: Toronto
Lens Review Date: September 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solidly built, excellent image quality
Cons: Autofocus seeks at times, focus ring is a bit small
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-30

Excellent lens. Solid metal construction possibly even a bit too solid, it can get a bit heavy after extended use very nice IQ.

Autofocus sometimes seeks, and the focus ring is a tad small, but those are minor issues compared to the rest.

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Lens Review Date: May 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Great IQ, Macro
Cons: AF little jittery at times
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5iis

This lens has introduced me to a whole new world of macro shooting.

I call it my "flower power" lens, because that's what I basically purchased it for, to expand my landscape photography into floral images as well. I have an F50 1.7 and to be honest, the IQ isn't much different, but the ability to fill the screen with a 1:1 image is rather cool.

So cool in fact, had to purchase a 2nd one for the GF who WAS using the F50 but was jealous she couldn't get the same close ups.

Now, after a trip to the local Botanical Garden and a butterfly exhibit, realized I need the 100 macro as well.

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Mission, B.C.
Lens Review Date: May 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness!!! Colour rendition, manual focus (throw distance and feel)
Cons: Manual focus (tiny focus ring), AF
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-r

I gave this lens a 10 overall because, while the AF is pretty unimpressive, it's a macro lens, so AF is pretty much useless anyway. The 8 score for the handling is due to the tiny focus ring, which is a bit of a pain. The ability to adjust the resistance when focusing is amazing though, you can fine tune it to just the right sensitivity. Also, the focus throw is great once you get down into the higher magnification range.

Optically, this lens is sharp sharp sharp. If you were to use it for a portrait, you could pretty much count the pores in your model's nose. It's also very good for aberrations, so much so that it's actually useable with a good 2x teleconverter. (helpful for Macro, since the focusing distance at 1:1 is pretty close, and 1:1 just doesn't cut it for a macro junkie like me).

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Medina, OH

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, captures amazing detail.
Cons: Captures too much detail, wife will not allow me to use it to photograph her!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-20 & K-7

An outstandingly sharp lens, captures details that my other good lens do not. For weddings, you need to put a softener filter on the lens or you may capture details of the bride that are not desired. If there is a little pimple that did not get enough makeup, this lens will show it in great detail! This is the best 50 mm I have experienced in film or digital photography. It is a little harder to get good bokeh than with a longer focus lens, but bokeh is good on macro setting. I like the focus lock on macro that lets you manually approach of back off the subject to get the desired focus. It is not as good macro as longer focus macro lens, but excellent in its focal length. I love this lens for low-light, non-flash interior shots of people as well as home interiors. You can keep this lens on your camera all the time unless you need to change for focal length. I find it actually more versatile than my expensive 77mm limited except for portraiture photography, where the 77mm limited is really difficult to surpass. For most photographers, if you have the 50 mm 2.8 macro and the 77 limited, plus a wide angle and a telephoto you are pretty well set for most occasions.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!