Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses » 645 Telephoto Primes
SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF] Review RSS Feed

SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF]

8 34,696 Tue May 15, 2018
SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF]

Telephoto lens featuring internal focusing and autofocus.

smc Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF]
645 film
Pentax 645
645 AF

645 Digital: 16 ° / 13 °
645 Film: 20 ° / 16 °
PH-RBB 58 bayonet
Push-pull AF/MF Focusing Ring
74.5 x 119 mm (2.9 x 4.7 in.)
670 g (w/o attachments) (23.6 oz.)
(in production)
smc PENTAX-FA 645 1:4 200mm (IF)

Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureMedium-Format SupportAdapter needed for DSLRs
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF]

Add Review of SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF] Buy the SMC Pentax-FA 645 200mm F4 [IF]
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Registered: February, 2018
Location: NoVA
Lens Review Date: May 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $138.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact and sharp
Cons: Not for when you need critical sharpness wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Summary: Great little lens. My reviews are based on the default actions of DXO Photolab. Tested using 645z.

It's at its sharpest at f/8 and f/11. At 400%, edges require two pixels. The 55/2.8 AW is slightly better. The 160 end of the 80-160 A zoom is slightly less sharp. In my "does this look good at 1:1 on my calibrated monitor" test, the 200 passes handily. The application of this lens is limited only by sensor resolution.

The focus plane is slightly softer at f/22 (diffraction), but much sharper either side of the focus plane because of increased depth of field. I have no fear of using f/22 when I need DOF.

F/5.6 is just behind f/8 in sharpness. F/4 is more noticeably softer.

No obvious CA, though my test won't make it obvious.

Bokeh is fairly neutral--a bit of double-line patterns at some textures, but no bright edge on out-of-focus highlights. This is a competent long portrait lens, and f/4 will avoid microscopic inspection of skin pores.

The lens is small and light for a medium-format 200/4--compare with the 200/4 for the Pentax 67, which is noticeably bigger and heavier.

The supplied bayonet shade is excellent and secure, and will mount reversed.

Edit: Some corroborating images.

Full frame of test scene at f/4:

1:1 center crop at f/4:

1:1 center crop at f/5.6:

1:1 center crop at f/11:

Rick "a steal at current prices" Denney

Registered: August, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, really sharp at F5.6
Cons: CAs at F4.0
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 7    Camera Used: 645D, Nikon D800

I bought a new copy and really satisfied with the product.
I gave 10 based on my usage, but some might find the product has CAs at F4.0 or focused on close object, causing slightly soft images. Still, I would recommend this lens as you can have sharp image by stopping down aperture.

Sharpness at infinite is really good even at F4.0 with Nikon D800. Stopping down aperture increases sharpness even more.

Aberrations are well controlled; the only issue is CAs, but it's gone when F5.6 or more.

Bokeh are smooth, but you can see yellow fringing in background and purple one in foreground.

Handling is excellent due to internal focusing mechanism and well balanced weight and dimension when it's combined with 645D. Manual focusing with this lens is not good as that with A series (MF lens), but acceptable. The issue is moving focus when you switch between AF and MF by sliding the focusing ring.

Value is OK; you should consider A 645 200 F4.0 (manual lens) as it also has positive reviews. I bought FA (AF) version because of larger hood, the internal focus mechanism which contributes durability and new optical design.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Lens Review Date: June 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Sharp, Small Filters, Awesome Bokeh
Cons: A small amount of CA in Backlit conditions
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax 645D

Next to the FA 35 and the FA 45-85, this is my favorite lens on the 645 camera. It focuses fast and does what I ask of it.

Shallow DOF, crank open the aperture and you will completely isolate your subject.

Very sharp so you will want to do some blurring in Photoshop, or stretch a nylon stocking over it, if you are using it for portraits. Men probably won't mind but women definitely will.

This is also quite a good sports lens. It locks focus very quickly.

If you like shooting into the sun you may need to fix some CA in post, though I do not have too much trouble with my copy of this lens.

Unlike a lot of the lenses for the 645, this one uses a 58mm filter which makes buying filters a little easier if you are into that type of thing.

Ok...a little example for the fun of it. I really am not much of a lens tester so bear with me. I had no brick wall close so I took a close up picture of these flowers from about 7 feet away. I was focused on the little white flower in the middle. The lens was wide open at f4.

And this is the little white flower at 100%. Two things are immediately obvious, the flowers aren't real and the lens is pretty sharp.

Its a good lens and I like it quite a bit. I bought it originally with my FA 45-85 when I picked up my 645Nii.

Registered: June, 2014
Lens Review Date: January 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 4    Handling: 7    Value: 7    Camera Used: 645Z

Worst CA I've seen on any Pentax 645 lens on bright highlights. Major magenta/green fringing. Don't know if I have a bad copy, but it almost makes the lens unusable professionally - esp with strong backlighting

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Fowlmere, UK

Lens Review Date: February 18, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, sharp
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

A excellent lens, but with a very shallow DOF, which requires precise focus. Not quite as sharp as the 2.8/150mm but very close. On the 645N, it is a good portrait lens (close to 120m on 35 FF), as it isolates the subject and its bokeh is possibly even better than that of the 150mm.
My copy was officially used, but apparently by a collector—it was mint.

Lens Review Date: August 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small and sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Very sharp and compact telephoto. When used for portraits within 2 to 3 meters, the DOF is quite shallow even at f5.6 covering the nose and eyes while the ears are out of focus. This makes for a very 3D look. And what is in focus is very, very sharp on the 645D.

This lens, together with the 120 macro, makes for a nice, small telephoto set. Complementing these two would be the 400/5.6.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Colorado

Lens Review Date: August 30, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Useful focal length, Light weight, Autofocus works well,
Cons:

I like this focal length for isolating subjects, but it doesn't seem to be popular with many people. That means that prices are low on the used market, and you can examples in excellent condition. For $200 in late 2009, I got one in pristine condition except for a ding on the filter ring.

200mm on 645 is equivalent to 126mm on 35mm. It has the standard Pentax 58mm filters size, which is convenient.

Autofocus uses a "ch-ch-ch" hunt and seek method, but I find it reasonably fast and completely usable.

This lens is much lighter and much cheaper than the 80-160mm FA zoom. I'm guessing it has better quality, also.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Copenhagen
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and well buildt

I always used to test my lenses using 100 ISO film and test targets. I found this lens to be an excellent performer. This lens is even sharper than the standard 75 mm lens.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!