Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses » 645 Telephoto Primes
SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF] Review RSS Feed

SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF]

4 30,994 Fri February 14, 2020
100% of reviewers $2,550.00 9.25
SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF]

Autofocus telephoto lens featuring internal focusing. This is a "star" lens promising superior optical performance.

smc Pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED[IF]
645 film
Pentax 645
645 AF

645 Digital: 10.5 ° / 8.4 °
645 Film: 13.3 ° / 10.7 °
PH-RBE 77 bayonet
Push-pull AF/MF Focusing Ring
83 x 207.5 mm (3.3 x 8.2 in.)
1480 g (w/o attachments) (52.2 oz.)
(in production)
smc PENTAX-FA* 645 1:4 300mm ED[IF]
Built-in tripod mount.
ED elements.

Screwdrive AutofocusInternal FocusingAperture RingAutomatic ApertureMedium-Format SupportAdapter needed for DSLRs

Add Review of SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF]
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons: heavy, short collar ring
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax 645Z

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Lens Review Date: April 11, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

I recently bought one on the popular auction site from a Japanese dealer, in mint condition, which including shipping came to less than US$700.

There is surprisingly very little information available about this lens, and even less about pairing it with the purpose made 1.4TC.

Even with a couple of hand held test shots I can confirm the other reviewer's results. This lens and the pairing with the 1.4TC is an absolute winner.

I also have the 150-300 zoom and found the 300mm FA* to be far superior, even with the 1.4tc it is sharper than the zoom. Thr 150-300 is already a very sharp lens, but not to this standard.

Pairing with the 2.0TC was less than perfect and the crispness started to fade. Also losing 2+ stops of light limits the 2.0TC's practical use.

My only regret is that I did not buy this lens a long time ago. We plan to go on a spectacular trip later this year and I was considering taking my 600mm lens, but after seeing these results, I'll settle for the 300mm with 1.4TC instead.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Auckland

Lens Review Date: March 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $2,550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, contrast, tripod mount
Cons: Hint of chromatic aberration
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax 645D

Having sold the older A version of this lens about a year ago I have missed it. After a recent purchase of a x1.4 rear converter and using it on a 67 200m lens I had the feeling that I did not have the best.
I have run a few tests shots today with the FA 300mm and the lens absolutely matches the glory of the older manual focus version. The x1.4 converter does little to detract from image quality. Contrast is maintained as is sharpness. There is a loss of a stop or two. The results are far superior to using this converter on the shorter 67 lens.
I was prepared to pay the extra for the newer auto-focus model of this lens as it would preserve re-sale value and the newer lens has a TRIPOD MOUNT which is a BIG must in such a large piece of glass.

The following images are taken with this lens. Some are with the x1.4 rear converter and for comparison there is one image shot with the Pentax 67 200mm with rear x1.4 converter on the 645D (with adapter)

67 200mm with x1.4 converter

645 300mm FA with x1.4 rear converter

300mm FA with x1.4 converter

Registered: March, 2008
Location: Hogtown, ON, Canada
Lens Review Date: September 1, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: My sharpest 300
Cons:

Excellent lens.
I have not use any manual focus 300mm 645 lens so I am really comparing this to the 350 and 250 Sonnars.

When I semi retire I decide to stick with Pentax as my 35mm/Dslr and I still have to find another 300mm that is better.

This lens along with the 120Macro dispel the myth that 120 camera lens are inferior to 35mm counterparts because of the larger chromes makes up for any shortcoming.
Add Review of SMC pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF]

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!