Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 200mm F4 Review RSS Feed

16 79,133 Thu March 22, 2018

SMC Pentax 200mm F4

This lens was introduced in 1975 and later, in 1977, replaced with a smaller M-series version.

APS-C: 8.1 ° / 6.9 °
PH-R58
1975 to 1977
SMC PENTAX 1:4/200
Plastic clip-on hood, shared between 135/2.5, 200/4, 85-210/4.5
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 200mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 16

Registered: October, 2015
Lens Review Date: March 22, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, clarity, contrast, color rendition, cheap, build quality
Cons: weight, F4
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5IIs

This is a wonderful telephoto lens. Like other Pentax manual lenses, this lens is built like a tank. Everything is tightly put together. The color rendition is great and sharpness is almost perfect. Well, the lens has only 5 elements so you should expect it to be optically great. The bokeh is nothing mind blowing but that's the nature of the lens. If you want creamy out of focus background you'd better go with a 2.8 lens or faster.
I got this lens for telephoto landscape photography and it was in almost brand new condition. It is a little heavy though, which I am totally OK with.
Overall, fantastic lens for the price.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta

Lens Review Date: October 5, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: it's super sharp! clarity, flare resistance
Cons: heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: K5, A7

as good as many K series this lens also inherit sharpness, it's very sharp! i'm also surprised that the lens has good flare/glow resistance
bokeh is not attractive, but it's not something important for me
the lens only has minor cons, it's weight

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA

Lens Review Date: July 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Quite compact, nice to focus, quite sharp
Cons: None that are relevant
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5II

I used this lens for a month on the "Singled in challenge"...... lens is capable of getting nice shots.......

Broccoli.jpg

Back Yard Scene.jpg

Macro Flower.jpg

Community Garden Frog.jpg

Registered: June, 2015
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rather small for a 200mm, great build quality.
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K1000 and Canon 5D mk II

I was quite impressed with the results with my Pentax K1000 so I bought an adapter for my Canon 5D mk II. The results are really good. The lens is really sharp, easy to handle, and for less than 100 bucks, I can only recommend it. The contrast and colors are really enjoyable.
Here's a short video I shot yesterday with it, on the Canon FF. Unfortunately the sensor of the Canon was a bit dirty, but you can tell the image quality's good!

Registered: December, 2013
Location: Pendik, Istanbul

Lens Review Date: March 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Color rendering
Cons: Heavier than M version
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

I use this lens with FF camera Sony A7.
This is a fantastic lens which is as sharp as zeiss lenses for only 70$.
I test this lens sharpness with ISO12233 chart printed on A1. Lens is sharp in all apertures except differaction limits.
My results about this lens are:
  • On f/4 there is slight vignetting.
  • No optical distortion.
  • Sharping is excellent on center f/4 between f/22.
  • Lens is less sharper on center between f/22 and f/32 because of differaction.
  • Sharping is excellent on corners f/4 between f/22.
  • Lens is less sharper on corners between f/22 and f/32 because of differaction.
  • Best shooting aperture is between f/4-f/22.
  • Lens sharpness is really amazing between f/4-f/22. Most probably lens can be used without differaction limit with 12Mp FF camera
  • I cannot see a difference on sharpness with Zeiss 55mm
For charts please check kirlisensor.com

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, quality
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5ii

Just took this out for the first time this weekend and am very impressed with the results. I have a 200MM M Series lens also, and despite the fact this lens is much, much heavier, it is very precise and gets the business done.

As I am just learning this lens, I will have more to say in a few months time, but initial impressions are very good.

Here are a couple of shots from the weekend.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: MŤxico

Lens Review Date: December 8, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, built quality
Cons: no lens hood
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K10D

I love the lens since the beggining.
Good manual focus. But the important thing is the image quality.
If you find one buy it.

Lens Review Date: November 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $116.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, colourful, contrast
Cons: pure manual (but this is this row)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

Very good lens with excellent price.

Some Example Photos are there

Registered: March, 2012
Lens Review Date: March 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Reasonable sharpness and excellent color
Cons: Small aperture just for daylight
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: KR

I picked up this lens for a reasonable price one of these days.Generally it's just worth the price.Ideal sharpness and pleasant recovering.All just doesn't go beyond the spacialities of K-mounts.

Lens Review Date: February 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, pleasant bokeh, colour, 3D
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: EOS 30D

Hi,
this is my first contribute here, and notwithstanding I used the K200 on a "foreign" 30D, I had the opportunity to recently compare - not scientifically - the shots taken with K200/4, 180/2,8 ED, Tessar 200/3,5, ML100-300 @200.

Well to my eyes this cheap piece of glass performed at least on the level of both Nikkor and Zeiss. I'm used to mount old C/Y Zeiss lenses on my 30D (including 100/2) and the output of the K200/4 keeps amazing me. It's very often on my camera!

I have a pair of them and given the performance can't decide to part from one

HTH,

Stefano

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ (with care), sharp, contrasty, good colour
Cons: It's big and heavy, and no built-in hood
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9

Better than the M 200/4
Nearly as good as the A* 200/2.8
Nearly indestructable.

Focus is easy, sharp images just pop.
Great K lens colour and contrast.
Shares hood with K135/2.5

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Eureka, CA

Lens Review Date: May 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Mechanical build, inexpensive, sharp when stopped down
Cons: Tad soft wide open

Stopped down to f11, this lens is remarkably sharp -- sharper, even, than my M 28 f2.8. Granted, the lens is a tad soft wide open, as are most lenses; but it will still, in terms of IQ and resolution, stomp all over any consumer grade zoom glass that might be compared to it. It has the Pentax "pop" that the old Takumars and K series lens are famous for. The build quality is off the charts and it's relatively compact for a telephoto lens. Not as compact, to be sure, as M version of this lens, which suceeded and replaced it; but this lens is considered sharper than its slightly smaller successor. It's a pity that no one makes a 200 f4: consumers prefer the slower, softer zooms. They don't know what they're missing.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: August 15, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cost , size & quality.
Cons: Slowness, no built-in lens hood.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

The K200/4 (Along with the K135/3.5 & K150/4) is one of the Pentax budget medium telephoto lenses released in 1975. The optics on the K200/4 are kept simple, so this lens is quite light in size and easy to hand hold. The K200/4 is also on the slow side, so itís best for outdoor daylight use.

The K200/4 has a 58mm filter diameter and shares a lens hood with the K135/2.5 and the K85-210/4.5 zoom. With a telephoto lens of this focal length you should invest in the clip on hood and a good Multicoated UV filter, especially if you shoot film like myself.

The K200/4 is reasonably sharp and has nice contrast. I bought the Pentax T95 close-up lens for the K200/4 and this makes it a very good option in the macro field, giving you 1/4.8 to 1/2.6 magnification. (A poor mans A* 200/4 ED Macro!!)

This pretty much sums up the K200/4, a good budget telephoto, but itís no match for the K200/2.5, except in size and price.

Sample shots taken with the K200/4.0. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives or slides.

Camera: MX Film: Kodak T-Max 100 ISO: 100

Camera: K2 Film: Fuji Velvia 100 ISO: 100 (Detail of office building windows.)

Registered: May, 2009
Location: North Wales UK
Lens Review Date: May 17, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Super quality of image compared to my 18-250 zoom

This is the lens that started me being dissatisfied with my 18-250 zoom.
First time out with it I was very impressed with the feel of the Manual Focus only lens, super smooth focusing, and the quality of the images I got with my K20D.The first of many Oldies I hope.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Germany

Lens Review Date: April 17, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $87.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, very sharp, good contrast abilities, solid built

I'm a big fan of the old K and M lenses which are usually very sharp, give nice proportions at the DSLR crop and are excellent budget lenses, at least for those who like to focus manually (maybe by help of a focussing screen). However these lenses tend to be difficult when facing delicate lighting situations, notably back light and stray light. They also have a tendency to purple fringes.

This K200/4 is the great surprise, so far I have not encountered such problems, the opposite is true: this lens makes wonderful images: very sharp even full open, good contrast, smooth and silky yet clear colours, rich in detail. The Bokeh belongs to the best I've ever had with a lense. So far the K200/4 has never let me down, if an image was poor then it's been my fault. It has definitely become my favourite lens that I use when I'm in creative mood.

(Non working links removed)
Add Review of SMC Pentax 200mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!