Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses

8.1
 8.2
30 142,865 Fri March 31, 2017

SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8

The SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8 is the faster version of the two K series 24mm lenses. It was succeeded by an A series lens with the same optical formula.

PH-S52 (24mm)
63 x 41.5 mm
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX 1:2.8 24mm
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 30
amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: March 31, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: handling, color rendition, clarity
Cons: older lens coatings
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-3, K-50

my month with the SMC 24mm f2.8 (Ariane) was quite the surprise for me, as I thought it would more of a struggle to come to grips with this older, fully-manual lens.

I was wrong - this lens is a joy to work with...

the K24/2.8 was a lens I traded for, giving away a Vivitar (Cosina) 24mm f2.8, and a SMC M 50mm f4 Macro for it...

of course, as film-era Pentax, the build quality and feel of the lens are stellar - my copy seems nearly-unused, except for some cleaning marks on the front element and missing the white mount-nub..

the worst thing about the lens is the fact that it is a manual lens - no 'A' on the aperture ring, no auto-focus, none of that - and that makes me think so much more about what I'm shooting; I have to fully think about the exposure and lighting and shutter speed and ISO....and makes me practice the craft of photography...

I love the color rendition of the lens, especially blues - this lens does amazing things with landscapes and blue skies; bokeh is only 'ok' with this lens, but not as harsh or busy as other wide-angle lenses; focus is better at center than edges, but not horribly so...

it is very versatile - with a MFD of less that a foot, I could bring subjects in quite close for detail and texture; and with the 24mm of width to work with, it's easy to use for street photography or landscapes...

some of my favorites from the month:

crepe myrtle by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

Remy Jane by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

wild rose hips by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

tall grass at sunset by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the rest of the album for this lens:

I entered the month with the idea that I would be listing this lens for sale in March - I'm glad that I did the diligent thing and shot the K24/2.8 for February, because it's a keeper....

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Niagara

Lens Review Date: May 31, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: FoV, f2.8 - Its a K! <-- great build quality.
Cons: Infinity sharpness

I shot this lens on APS-C, and on Film (Ektar 100 and Pan F+ 50). I found fantastic sharpness within 15' but as the distance increased a general softness appeared - particularly on the incredible detail rendering K5 IIs sensor. Is this a sharp landscape lens? No. Can you shoot wonderful creative exposures? Yes. Does it render usable images? Absolutely.

A note on use of filters: Yes, they will vignette on film, this is a very wide lens.

great colour rendering - 4.0 @ 1/125 Ektar 100
Sakura in the park by Matt, on Flickr

I think this one is 8.0 @ 1/500
April 14: Master Plan by Matt, on Flickr

Plenty sharp within 15' - an arms length portrait - K5 IIs
April 9: deep consideration by Matt, on Flickr

Smooth bokeh - again K5 IIs
Catkin by Matt, on Flickr

Some examples of Landscape on film.
Whitesands River by Matt, on Flickr
West Harbour GO by Matt, on Flickr

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: May 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: build, bokeh, color?
Cons: expensive, rare, not sharp
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 6    Camera Used: K5, A7

i have lens with lot of internal specks, possibly minor haze, i should correct after shoot by auto level image editing using photo software editor
this lens should be has good pentax color rendering and possible has good sharpness in normal glass/optic condition

here are the samples images:

Registered: May, 2014
Lens Review Date: January 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: little to no flare, size, manual focusing feel
Cons: f/2.8 not that sharp, soft in corners
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

I have used this lens for about 1 year now - it was time to contribute with a review. I use this lens as a landscape lens only. It would work well for street shooting as well given that it's relatively fast but probably an A 24 would do better on street because of its automation.

• Sharpness is not that great at f2.8 - the max aperture is usable but it's probably the weak point of this lens. On top of that the sharpness in the corners is problematic on 35mm format. Given that I use this for landscape where the aperture stays between f5.6-f16, the sharpness is really not an issue for me. As a matter of fact, I have printed some of my best shots at 30x45cm and I feel I could print 60x90cm without reaching the sharpness limit of the lens. If I had to rate sharpness starting from f5.6 it would get a 10 but otherwise just an 8 from me.
  • Bokeh is nice and rather smooth than nervous
  • Color rendition seems very natural to me - something very good for landscape
  • Flare is amazingly well controlled. I was very surprised seeing how well it controls flare for its age. Either you don't see any or if you see it just looks good - well at least it looks good to me. There is a photo below showing a flare that I produced on purpose.
  • Purple fringing level on digital is low
  • Built is typical SMC K therefore very good and focusing feel is again, typical and very good
Here are some of my best landscapes, done with this lens:
Links removed

Registered: March, 2007
Location: So Cal

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: xlnt handling, good contrast
Cons: blurry sides on ff, doesn't completely go away on crop sensor camera
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 4    Camera Used: Sony a7R 36mp full frame

i've shot this lens on both the k10d and the sony a7r.

i liked the sigma 24mm f/2.8 better on the k10d, and just about everything else over this, on the sony a7r.

the problem with this lens on a 36mp full frame camera is blurry sides, which could be caused by excessive field curvature... here is a large comparison picture showing the problems:

smc Pentax 24mm f/2.8 lens test, Sony a7R

blurry sides can be caused by a tilted element inside the lens, but since the Yoshihiko Takinami lens test shows incredibly low corner resolution, it's probably a poor lens design:

if you are looking at this lens for your crop sensor pentax, don't plan on using it for critical landscape shooting... but it would be great for centered objects, since the contrast and sharpness are xlnt in the center.

Location: Florida

Lens Review Date: January 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide on FF
Cons: Slight vignette depending on filter used
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: LX, K-01

Overall my favorite wide angle lens that I have used. 95% used on film. Never use it on digital for pictures, it is a good focal length for video however in aps-c. No A ring means you do a bit more work on digital.

Registered: October, 2009
Location: North

Lens Review Date: January 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: small; f2.8; center sharp wide open; overall sharp enough stopped down
Cons: corners can be a bit sharper stopped down on FF
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5; K30; Sony A7 (FF)

This is a review of the lens on FF (Sony A7)

I have left full sized samples on flickr.

DSC0080120140110ILCE-7-11-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
@f8

DSC0124020140113ILCE-7 by jenkwang, on Flickr
@f2.8

DSC0122420140113ILCE-7 by jenkwang, on Flickr
@f5.6

Not much to complain about this lens for me, one of the smaller slr 24/2.8 out there typical of Pentax, flare resistant smc coating, wide enough for quite a bit of things on FF.
Sharp (very) in the center wide open and overall sharp stopped down to f5.6 and above.
I gave the sharpness score as 8, but its more like a '9' where it matters (usually in the center at f2.8) and '8' in the corners stopped down at f8 on FF.
So on average more 8.5 if there was a selection for this score.

Very portable as its so small, it is not something every camera brand can offer nowadays for a FF 24mm at f2.8 on FF.
I can't emphasize it enough.

Bokeh is generally ok too, which is already very good compared to may wide angles of the 24-28mm focal length.

This was a favourite for me on aps-c, on FF, I do think its even better.

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Naples
Lens Review Date: November 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Bult, colours (like Zeiss), center sharpness, micro contrast
Cons: border sharpness, contrast (but may be pleasant), expensive quotation because rare
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 7

I like too much the colour and micro contrast rendition of this lens...

it's like a "Zeiss" but with some of "smc" by pentax... tone to tone colour transition is very good and soft, it has some of the 43 limited wide opened.

On film it's a bit too soft in the corner until f 5.6, but on digital it's better (taking only the center) from f4, but it never becomes razor sharp. On the dslr the focal is good, but the "stop down" exposition makes it very unconfortable to use as a street and general lens as it should be on apsc. Very good the "A" version for the automatic exoposition. On film it's a good alternative to mant low quality but not cheap 28mm 2.8. This is wider and ha a his own "character" and Zeiss rendition.

Good on black and white.

Built as a tank and a pleasure to use, as all Ks.

A little bit hight priced, maybe becaouse it's a "K" and not so commo.

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build, color
Cons: sharpness at corner
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5

Got this lens half a year ago on ebay, surprised by nice color and the excellent build, sharpness at the center is fine but you can't expect that for the whole range. overall, considering the money, this is a nice wide-angle lens to keep.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Wiltshire/Hampshire
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp in the centre from f/4
Cons: Corners never get really sharp
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 7    Value: 7    Camera Used: LX, ME, K5

Another lens that is much better on film than it is on digital.

Very sharp in the centre from one stop down, but the corners never really catch up even on a crop sensor.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/162116-pentax-k...ml#post2401122 for a full test.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: March 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: build, size, great colours
Cons: could be sharper
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Canon 5d mkIII

I used this lens for a while on a crop sensor camera, then on my Canon 5D MkIII (It hits the mirror so I use it in Live View mode). On a full frame body it has a great field of view, very wide indeed. The build quality is superb, beautiful focus action although I wish the throw was a bit longer.The SMC does a good job of flare resistance which can be a real problem in lenses this wide. I've used it a bit for video and it has a rich, saturated look, quite classically cinematic. For a wide angle lens I enjoy the bokeh a lot. I don't tend to use anything much wider that a 35mm in most circumstances, but whenever I stick this lens on I wish I used it more. Basically it has a great character and takes rich lovely pictures

On the negative side, its not very sharp, even stopped down a bit. My Tak 28 is sharper, as are all my other Taks with the exception of my SMC Tak 35/2 which is a pretty soft lens at any aperture. So if you want a blazing sharp 24mm I suggest you look around a bit more.

I give it a 7.5/10, so rounded down to 7 : )

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $245.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, light, well-built, renders nicely, useful field of view on APS-C
Cons: Some aberrations, somewhat less sharp at the edge of the APS-C field
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-x, K-01

This lens was a contemporary of the M lenses (1977-84), sharing
their robust and compact build, and was usually listed together
with them in Pentax literature. Indeed, its 52mm filter
diameter, rather than the 49mm standard of the majority of the
M lenses, seems to be the only reason for any distinction
(although the M200/4 also has a 52mm filter diameter).

My copy of this lens came second-hand from KEH (rated EX+) in
early 2011, to be mounted on a K-x. After using a Summicron
35/2 for many years on film with a Leica, I was looking for a
lens around 24mm to give an equivalent field of view on APS-C.
Unfortunately, Pentax has not produced a K-mount prime in this
range since the FA 24/2, so the only options are third-party or
legacy. Although I have also acquired a Zeiss ZK 25/2.8
Distagon in the meantime, my K24/2.8 still sees plenty of use.
The Zeiss is sharper, but the K24/2.8 is lighter, cheaper, and
more compact, making it more convenient for casual use, more
discreet for street shooting, and more suitable for use in
situations where the lens might be at risk of damage or loss.
Looking at it another way, the K24/2.8 on the K-x (or
equivalent compact body) makes a cheaper and more versatile
substitute for cameras like the Leica X1 or Fuji X100.

The K24/2.8 has very good central sharpness, and acceptable
edges, stopped down to f/5.6 - f/8. Fully open, it makes nice
portraits, and the central sharpness is good enough for
moderately easy manual focusing, on occasions when you don't
just want to go hyperfocal on the distance scale. The color
rendering is very pleasing, better than most standard zooms,
and the lens is quite resistant to flare. There is some barrel
distortion, mild and simple enough to be corrected easily in
cases where it might be critical.

Finally, a couple of samples. The first is a casual pet portrait.

The second illustrates the lens's use for general reportage and portraits in context.

And a fall color sample.

Location: France
Lens Review Date: April 27, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $145.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness in the center-contrast color balance-class build quality, light and pleasant
Cons: Short focus throw-edge sharpness
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

lens, perfect for use every day.
exellent build quality.
Focusing delicate between 2.2 m and infinity (requires a little practice).
the colors of my copies are excellent in natural light, and slightly yellow in tungsten light (I think it's better to shoot in RAW especially with older lenses).
the contrast is very good especially with a lens cap.
there are two sharpness.
the center is a good 2.8, excellent f4 to f11, diffraction has some f16 but usable.
the sharpness of the edges is very average for prime lens.
yet not wanting in overall sharpness.
The bokeh (when present) is silky and pleasant.
I have a lot of fun with this lens, it is always on my K-5 or in my bag if I need.

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Lyon area
Lens Review Date: January 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice FOV on digital
Cons: Short focus throw
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 5    Value: 7    Camera Used: K-5

This is a nice lens on digital, with a moderate wide angle FOV equivalent to a 35mm.
I bought it to complement my M50 and M100 and I mostly like it, but I am a bit disappointed with IQ: images are a bit softer than I expected from a prime. This might be in part caused by misfocus, (EDIT: after using it a few more outings, the lens is SHARP! indeed but)since the throw is very short, the lens is quite difficult to focus accurately at middle distances (1-10m).
Still good value considering the relatively low price paid for an excellent condition copy.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Lens Review Date: December 17, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $165.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, Sharpness, Color rendition
Cons: contrast
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Value: 8

The weight and size of the lens being a K is, as always, great.
I don't do extensive tests on my lenses... I take pictures with them and throw them up on my computer and see what I got.
This lens gives wonderful photos.

For a 24mm it has amazing bokeh. It's not the bokeh of a Pentacon 135mm... but for a 24mm.. some of the best I've ever seen. It's quite sharp at f2.8 and gets even sharper from then on. It's pretty flare resistant but without a hood it does flare but I actually like the way it does... it doesn't blow out the picture and in fact adds a wonderful character to the pictures. It has decent contrast... nowhere near a Limited for example, but that can be added in post processing or left mostly alone for that vintage look... which this lens does very well....

I'm quite happy with this lens.

Everyone of these was shot indoors with strong sun through the window and at f2.8
Add Review of SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!