Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 24mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

6 59,242 Sun November 22, 2015

SMC Pentax 24mm F3.5

This is Pentax's slowest 24mm prime.

PH-S58
1975 to 1977
SMC PENTAX 1:3.5/24
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 24mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Nissedal (Goblin Valley)
Lens Review Date: November 22, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, Handling, Light, Small
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

Small, solid lens. Great feeling using it. Senter is very sharp, edges too once corrected for CA (very easy in PP). This lens is a bargain. Can't wait for K-1...

Registered: January, 2009
Location: Andenes

Lens Review Date: February 12, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic sharp stopped down 1-2 steps, Cheap, Solid, Great for manual focusing, Perfect for me
Cons: A little barrel distortion doesn`t bother you? (easily corrected in most post-processing tools today)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K10d, Pentax K20d

I just cannot believe that this lens only has 8-something value when I write this.
It`s darn sharp, stop it down untill f/16 without having diffraction!
It`s solid, it`s got a nice wide angle and I would LOVE to use it on FF!

Here are some shots I`ve taken with it:

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: October 11, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image contrast, build and size.
Cons: Speed.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

The K24/3.5 was a spur of the moment "buy it now" purchase for me on eBay. I already had the K24/2.8 and was happy with its performance. I mostly bought the K24/3.5 to add to my K series collection, as it was in close to mint condition.

On my first outing with the K24/3.5 I nailed one of those perfect shots that instantly became a candidate for enlargement and framing. I love this lens and it has surpassed the K24/2.8 as my favorite in the 24mm focal length. Both are sharp, the K24/2.8 maybe has a slight edge, but I prefer the images the K24/3.5 produces. I mostly shoot slides and they seem to have more of a “punch” to them, when viewed on my light table using my photo lupe.

The K24/3.5 has a 58mm filter thread and shares the same lens hood with the K18/3.5 and the K20/4. Be careful using a polarizer, as it might cause vignetting in the corners. A “slim” version may be ok.

The K24/3.5 is a beautifully built lens and I really like the size of the 58mm filter diameter. The maximum of f3.5 is fine for most shooting situations, but the K24/2.8 is obviously a better choice for indoors.

If you hunt around you will be able to get a K24/3.5 for a better price that what I paid and you will not be disappointed.

Sample shots taken with the K24/3.5. Photos are medium resolution scans from original slides and negatives.

Camera: K2 Film: Fuji Velvia 50 ISO: 50

Camera: P50 Film: Fuji Neopan Acros 100 ISO: 100

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Surrey, UK

Lens Review Date: April 19, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built. Long focus throw.
Cons:

Lovely feel to this lens. Exudes quality, and the long focus throw makes it a joy to use. I found it's contrast to be fine, and the colour rendition excellent.

Reasonably sharp at 3.5 but once at 5.6 really sharp.

Registered: September, 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Lens Review Date: May 29, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: ex. sharpness, low distortion, very solid build
Cons: difficult to find a hood that won't vignette
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9

I believe this lens is the same optical formula as the much-loved takumar 24/3.5. The distortion is very low all the way to the edges on both digital and film cameras.

f/3.5 minimum aperture does limit its range but If you're planning on always shooting at f/8-11, where it's quite sharp, there's no need to spend more money to get the small advantage of f/2.8. Performance at f/3.5 is ok, but f/5.6 is a big step up but slightly less so than I found with my K28/3.5 - which is so good it's usually an unfair comparison to any lens.

As others have noted, contrast is not something it's known for but that's not a big deal. I would actually say that it is pretty natural if you compare the picture to the scene itself.

Nice and compact, it's pretty hefty for it's size but that means its built really solidly.

Registered: February, 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway

Lens Review Date: February 2, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: very good build quality, good sharpnes
Cons: a bit large, 58mm thread mount, f3.5, not so good contrast

I was a bit disapionted with this lens. I have tried several 24mm searching for a good one, this was ok, but smc 24/2.8 was better

The only problem was the low contrast, giving a bit "flatter" picture than lenses I compared it with, the resolution was fine. All in all not what I expected from a pentax prime, so I sold it.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 24mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!