Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

56 216,252 Tue February 11, 2020

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5

The SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 is the slower of the two K-series 28mm wide-angle lenses.

PH-S52 (24mm)
1976 to 1977
smc PENTAX 1:3.5/28
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 56

Registered: March, 2019
Lens Review Date: February 11, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, sharpness, colour handling, build quality
Cons: nothing worth mentioning
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a6000 and Pentax me super

This is a brilliant lens. I have three other 28mm vintage lenses from Minolta, Pentax and Konica to compare it to and it blows all three of them away. The image quality, corner to corner sharpness and colours straight out of the camera are superb. All the plaudits heaped on this lens are true. It is an amazing lens and if you find one I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is now my favourite wide angle lens and is spending more and more time attached to my cameras.
It has a very short focus throw but given that I use this lens for landscapes and wider street photography at f8 and at infinity, it makes no difference at all.

Registered: September, 2017
Location: New York
Lens Review Date: January 7, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, Color, contrast, build quality, overall image quality, bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-3II

If you can find this lens, I highly recommend buying it. They aren't very common but they are very worth it.

Sharpness doesn't compare to modern lenses but it is decently sharp wide open. The pictures produced are very contrasty and it does produce nice polarized-like images. If you dont mind focusing manually, it's a wonderful lens to focus. A decently long focus throw makes focus very accurate. It's just a wonderful lens to use.

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: September 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast, low flare, amazing build
Cons: 5-bladed diaphragm. If I were forced to complain, size and weight too.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: MX, X-T3

I hold this lens in very high regards. I've tried many old 28mm lenses from many different brands and this is one of the best. Compared to m42, M, and A type Pentax 28mm lenses it's the best in terms of raw optical performance. Sharpness, contrast, and flare control are all at a high level. I would also say its performance is in the realm of Contax Zeiss lenses and is even better in some regards. This lens is getting more expensive every day so don't hesitate, I imagine it will only go up in price as it becomes rarer and more sought after.

Location: Utrecht

Lens Review Date: July 23, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, contrast, colors, aberations
Cons: Bit difficult to focus due the "f3.5 only"
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1ii

Everything is said about this lens, sharp and clean images even wide open. Reliable distance scale in case the finder is too dark. I compared this with the DFA 28-105, the K-lens is even sharper overall and noticebly in the corners. Almost no fringing or whatever. Best results between f4 - f8. Balances well on the K1 also.

Registered: April, 2019

Lens Review Date: May 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness corner to corner; colors; handling & build quality
Cons: Some field curvature
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7III

After all these enthusiastic reviews of this lens who say that it is an ultimate landscape lens I wanted to know what all the fuss is about and got one via Ebay for 100 Euros in very good condition.

First impression: Built like a tank, looks like it was produced yesterday (but in fact it is 42 years old!), looks like it can be used for another 50 years without any problems.

Second impression: Yes, it's very sharp from corner to corner, at least stopped down (but that's what a landscape photographer does anyway, you don't buy a wide angle like that for "bokeh" and stuff). MUCH better than any other 24 oder 28 mm vintage solution I tried up to now. Of course there are 50s or 85s who have significantly higher resolution - but for a wide angle resolution is really good.

But the real shocker were the COLORS.

While with all my other lenses I "pump up" the colors a bit (mostly via vibrance or "camera calibration" in Lightroom) to get a punchy, saturated look, this is actually unnecessary with this lens! Colors are from the start really "life-like" and "pop"! Wonderful, but at the same time natural looking, blues and greens especially. I'm not a "SOOC" guy, but this lens comes near to "capturing how I saw it when I was there".

Flare resistance is very good, shooting into the sun or with the sun just a bit outside the frame is no problem at all.
Also no problems with color fringing. Pentax's coatings seem to be really great.

Only thing is that the lens has some field curvature - if you have something in the corners which is at or near infinity, you can't get it in focus. But in typical image compositions, this is rarely the case anyway. You just have to be aware of it and choose your composition accordingly.

Highly recommended!

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Reading
Lens Review Date: March 24, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Corner to corner sharpness
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7

Fantasticly sharp manual focus lens. People often talk up old lenses but rarely do they stand up against modern lenses. The Pentax-k is a lens which does. I compared this lens against my Sony FE28 and this lens is sharper.

It's also fantastic for InfraRed photography and has no hot spots even at smaller apertures. The only downside is the time it takes to find one (people tend to keep hold once they have a good copy).

Registered: April, 2007
Location: Toronto/Victoria
Lens Review Date: February 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good on FF and finely crafted
Cons: Larger than successors, no aperture link
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1, K100D

The K28/3.5 is probably my best 28mm lens. The others were all nearly perfect on APS-C but were less perfect on FF. This lens is nearly perfect on FF. Even wide open, the IQ is very good and at F5.6-8 it is outstanding if you need sharpness in the corners and almost no CA (a bit of red/blue is visible).

Of course, it's a slow lens; the A28/2.0 is smaller (49mm filter), faster by over 1.5 stops, and supports automatic exposure. However, the trade-offs are generally worth it for this lens.

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 22, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $89.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness,handling,buildquality
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: LX, K2DmD, K3 Prestige Edition

I bought two lenses for my Super-A Stereo cam, but switched to the 35mm for better 3DView, so i sold one of these beautiful examples - build like a tank and very pleasing look on digital makes it a pleasure to work with … even for professional purposes it is still in my bag for the punchy pictures .
I also own a very sharp M 28 f2,8 and f3,5 and the rar K 28 f 2 …
All of them have their own look and handling , but the K28 f3,5 I use the most .
Highly recomended !

Lens Review Date: September 12, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness Weight
Cons: Focal Length
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5 IIs, K1

I bought it used when am using K5 iis. I have 12-24 so i sparingly used this lens. But, i can clearly distinguish pictures from this lens.. they have a unique touch to them. Pictures are sharp edge to edge. Upon, buying K1 i am left with no good wide lens. So, K28 became my only wide lens and it didnt disappoint. Below are two sample pictures from my recent trip.

This was shot wide open.. so it isnt sharp around corners.. also, its not a stacked image but a 30'sec long exposure shot.

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Lens Review Date: August 25, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Corner sharpness, smooth focus ring, beautiful for landscape
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

One of the finest Pentax lenses available and it shines on the K-1. No, you don't have modern coatings and no you don't have Lightroom correction profiles for it, but it is good enough as is. This is going to sound a bit odd, but it is a lens that (more than any other I've shot with) really rewards good photography and is unforgiving with the converse. Sometimes you can "fake it" in post by boosting colors or contrast if your scene was not particularly dynamic or interesting... not with this guy. That is why I thought it was a dud on my first outing with it. On my second, it was quite a different story... some dynamically lit scenes it brought out the deep colors and contrast that it is capable of.

Here's some of my favorites taken with it:

[/url]

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: May 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors and sharpness from edge to edge
Cons: Green buton mesuring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1

Mine is mint copy
At F8 to F11 i have no 28mm Lens with such sharpness on borders and extrême corners. My kit zoom D-FA 28-105mm , wich i find no so bad at 28mm f8 , looks blurry when you make comparaison side by side on corners... this prime is razor Sharp on extrêmes.
Bokeh i dont care, this is not build as a fast Lens.
This is The Lens for landscape / infinity
Extrême corners and edges are such Sharp
Color rendering is really good and contrast
Build like all K
Manuel Focusing no problem with K1
I do recommended this Lens , it s quite cheap for the optical quality.
The Best Pentax 28mm prime choice for landscape at the moment

Location: Lost in translation ...

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh & close focus possible, sharp enough
Cons: None really for a 28mm

Bonjour,

After using this lens for the month of November 2017 as my Single Challenges lens, I can say that this is now my favorite go-to lens in 28mm ... a lot can be done with this lens if you experiment a bit outside of the usual "envelope" of use for a 28mm lens.

Below are a few images on K-1 and my flickr album for this lens is here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/139020494@N02/albums/72157690127443416

The last image was hastily taken with a n° 1 Pentax K-mount extension tube ... a macro 28 ... Cheers, J

Watches and pens by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Mercedes by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Dandy swirl by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Going to work - the train conductor by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

"Les Marvels" at the children's bookstore by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Extension by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2015
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3ii

I won the lottery when I found this lens in prestine, unused condition at a local camera store.
Someone must have done a wholesale dump of their manual lenses, as I also found (in unused condition) a K 55 2.0 and an M 50 1.7.
The whole lot cost $120 CDN. including taxes. The part of me that's Scottish was very pleased
This is now my most treasured lens. Slap another name on it and it's a $400 piece of equipment.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color rendering and contrast even wide open.
Cons: Relative slow F3.5
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fujifilm X-E1

The SMC Pentax-K 28mm F3.5 is not so well-known comparing to its cousins Pentax 28mm from the M and A series but the performance is really impressive. I have been using a handful of semi-wide angle Pentax-A (and M) 24mm - 28mm lenses over the years. The performances of these lenses are quite good (don't get me wrong) but never reach the level of this K 28mm F3.5.

Don't let the F3.5 fools you. Color rendering and contrast are spot on (strong) even wide open.
Bokeh is of course not its strongest but that is normal for a 28mm wide angle lens.
Photo is exported from LR as Adobe Standard (instead of Velvia/Vivid as shot by Fujifilm X-E1) to keep the colors as neutral as possible. No other changes made!
Photo taken with Fujifilm X-E1 with metal lens hood. ISO-200, F/3.5, 1/250s and handheld.

I got this lens as part of a Pentax KX 35mm film camera with Pentax K 55mm F1.8 and paid € 75 for the lot, hence the estimated price $30.

Registered: April, 2013

Lens Review Date: August 25, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colour, Clarity, Sharpness
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5IIs

I got into Pentax without knowing exactly what was this brand about. I just wanted to use that old SMC M 50mm f2 that was at home, completely forgotten, inside a old paper-box.

After some time trying other Pentax and third-brand lenses I managed to get the K28/3.5 and I was extremely shocked with the results. It was not about the sharpness, which was quite respectable, but the colour and the contrast of the lens. It is particularly on the blues and greens where I think this lens excels. The way this lens renders light makes the images very pleasing. It is hard to find the words, but I would say that the K28/3.5 delivers some sort of "clarity" or "magic" which converted me instantaneously into the Pentax fan-club. After I used this lens I understood what was Pentax about and what some people meant about Pentax colours and that stuff. The way this lens renders colours I believe it is not easily obtained in edition.

I would have never thought that a ƒ3.5 wide angle would become my favourite lens in my collection, but it certainly did. It also behaves great on a Sony A7 and I hope some day to try it on a Pentax K-1.

Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!