Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

56 217,817 Tue February 11, 2020

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5

The SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 is the slower of the two K-series 28mm wide-angle lenses.

PH-S52 (24mm)
1976 to 1977
smc PENTAX 1:3.5/28
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 56

Registered: March, 2019
Lens Review Date: February 11, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, sharpness, colour handling, build quality
Cons: nothing worth mentioning
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a6000 and Pentax me super

This is a brilliant lens. I have three other 28mm vintage lenses from Minolta, Pentax and Konica to compare it to and it blows all three of them away. The image quality, corner to corner sharpness and colours straight out of the camera are superb. All the plaudits heaped on this lens are true. It is an amazing lens and if you find one I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is now my favourite wide angle lens and is spending more and more time attached to my cameras.
It has a very short focus throw but given that I use this lens for landscapes and wider street photography at f8 and at infinity, it makes no difference at all.

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: September 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast, low flare, amazing build
Cons: 5-bladed diaphragm. If I were forced to complain, size and weight too.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: MX, X-T3

I hold this lens in very high regards. I've tried many old 28mm lenses from many different brands and this is one of the best. Compared to m42, M, and A type Pentax 28mm lenses it's the best in terms of raw optical performance. Sharpness, contrast, and flare control are all at a high level. I would also say its performance is in the realm of Contax Zeiss lenses and is even better in some regards. This lens is getting more expensive every day so don't hesitate, I imagine it will only go up in price as it becomes rarer and more sought after.

Location: Utrecht

Lens Review Date: July 23, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, contrast, colors, aberations
Cons: Bit difficult to focus due the "f3.5 only"
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1ii

Everything is said about this lens, sharp and clean images even wide open. Reliable distance scale in case the finder is too dark. I compared this with the DFA 28-105, the K-lens is even sharper overall and noticebly in the corners. Almost no fringing or whatever. Best results between f4 - f8. Balances well on the K1 also.

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Reading
Lens Review Date: March 24, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Corner to corner sharpness
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7

Fantasticly sharp manual focus lens. People often talk up old lenses but rarely do they stand up against modern lenses. The Pentax-k is a lens which does. I compared this lens against my Sony FE28 and this lens is sharper.

It's also fantastic for InfraRed photography and has no hot spots even at smaller apertures. The only downside is the time it takes to find one (people tend to keep hold once they have a good copy).

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 22, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $89.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness,handling,buildquality
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: LX, K2DmD, K3 Prestige Edition

I bought two lenses for my Super-A Stereo cam, but switched to the 35mm for better 3DView, so i sold one of these beautiful examples - build like a tank and very pleasing look on digital makes it a pleasure to work with … even for professional purposes it is still in my bag for the punchy pictures .
I also own a very sharp M 28 f2,8 and f3,5 and the rar K 28 f 2 …
All of them have their own look and handling , but the K28 f3,5 I use the most .
Highly recomended !

Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Lens Review Date: August 25, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Corner sharpness, smooth focus ring, beautiful for landscape
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

One of the finest Pentax lenses available and it shines on the K-1. No, you don't have modern coatings and no you don't have Lightroom correction profiles for it, but it is good enough as is. This is going to sound a bit odd, but it is a lens that (more than any other I've shot with) really rewards good photography and is unforgiving with the converse. Sometimes you can "fake it" in post by boosting colors or contrast if your scene was not particularly dynamic or interesting... not with this guy. That is why I thought it was a dud on my first outing with it. On my second, it was quite a different story... some dynamically lit scenes it brought out the deep colors and contrast that it is capable of.

Here's some of my favorites taken with it:

[/url]

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: May 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors and sharpness from edge to edge
Cons: Green buton mesuring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1

Mine is mint copy
At F8 to F11 i have no 28mm Lens with such sharpness on borders and extrême corners. My kit zoom D-FA 28-105mm , wich i find no so bad at 28mm f8 , looks blurry when you make comparaison side by side on corners... this prime is razor Sharp on extrêmes.
Bokeh i dont care, this is not build as a fast Lens.
This is The Lens for landscape / infinity
Extrême corners and edges are such Sharp
Color rendering is really good and contrast
Build like all K
Manuel Focusing no problem with K1
I do recommended this Lens , it s quite cheap for the optical quality.
The Best Pentax 28mm prime choice for landscape at the moment

Location: Lost in translation ...

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh & close focus possible, sharp enough
Cons: None really for a 28mm

Bonjour,

After using this lens for the month of November 2017 as my Single Challenges lens, I can say that this is now my favorite go-to lens in 28mm ... a lot can be done with this lens if you experiment a bit outside of the usual "envelope" of use for a 28mm lens.

Below are a few images on K-1 and my flickr album for this lens is here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/139020494@N02/albums/72157690127443416

The last image was hastily taken with a n° 1 Pentax K-mount extension tube ... a macro 28 ... Cheers, J

Watches and pens by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Mercedes by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Dandy swirl by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Going to work - the train conductor by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

"Les Marvels" at the children's bookstore by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Extension by Jean Poitiers, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2015
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3ii

I won the lottery when I found this lens in prestine, unused condition at a local camera store.
Someone must have done a wholesale dump of their manual lenses, as I also found (in unused condition) a K 55 2.0 and an M 50 1.7.
The whole lot cost $120 CDN. including taxes. The part of me that's Scottish was very pleased
This is now my most treasured lens. Slap another name on it and it's a $400 piece of equipment.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color rendering and contrast even wide open.
Cons: Relative slow F3.5
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fujifilm X-E1

The SMC Pentax-K 28mm F3.5 is not so well-known comparing to its cousins Pentax 28mm from the M and A series but the performance is really impressive. I have been using a handful of semi-wide angle Pentax-A (and M) 24mm - 28mm lenses over the years. The performances of these lenses are quite good (don't get me wrong) but never reach the level of this K 28mm F3.5.

Don't let the F3.5 fools you. Color rendering and contrast are spot on (strong) even wide open.
Bokeh is of course not its strongest but that is normal for a 28mm wide angle lens.
Photo is exported from LR as Adobe Standard (instead of Velvia/Vivid as shot by Fujifilm X-E1) to keep the colors as neutral as possible. No other changes made!
Photo taken with Fujifilm X-E1 with metal lens hood. ISO-200, F/3.5, 1/250s and handheld.

I got this lens as part of a Pentax KX 35mm film camera with Pentax K 55mm F1.8 and paid € 75 for the lot, hence the estimated price $30.

Registered: April, 2013

Lens Review Date: August 25, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colour, Clarity, Sharpness
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5IIs

I got into Pentax without knowing exactly what was this brand about. I just wanted to use that old SMC M 50mm f2 that was at home, completely forgotten, inside a old paper-box.

After some time trying other Pentax and third-brand lenses I managed to get the K28/3.5 and I was extremely shocked with the results. It was not about the sharpness, which was quite respectable, but the colour and the contrast of the lens. It is particularly on the blues and greens where I think this lens excels. The way this lens renders light makes the images very pleasing. It is hard to find the words, but I would say that the K28/3.5 delivers some sort of "clarity" or "magic" which converted me instantaneously into the Pentax fan-club. After I used this lens I understood what was Pentax about and what some people meant about Pentax colours and that stuff. The way this lens renders colours I believe it is not easily obtained in edition.

I would have never thought that a ƒ3.5 wide angle would become my favourite lens in my collection, but it certainly did. It also behaves great on a Sony A7 and I hope some day to try it on a Pentax K-1.

Registered: October, 2009
Location: North

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap; Very sharp for intended usage; good size; well made; good flare tolerance
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1; A7k

This is the best 28mm for infinity focus stopped down shooting on the FF K1 (and A7) for the price.

Don't let the f3.5 distract you away from this lens.
It was designed for a purpose.
Landscapes.

Sharp to the edges at f8-f11 that many faster 28mm can't match.
Flare tolerant as well.
At an incredible price too.

If you are looking for a do it all 28mm or a wide for isolation shallow DOF look (an oxymoron imo), look elsewhere and probably spend more.
If you are looking for a great landscape lens, this is the one.

20160708-IMGP2521 by jenkwang, on Flickr

full size :

The water keeper by jenkwang, on Flickr

20160710-IMGP2554 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Registered: November, 2011
Location: Chicago

Lens Review Date: February 9, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing Resolution, Sharp Wide Open, Contrast
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3

This has become the most used lens I have ever owned. It rarely leaves my camera. Using a 28mm on the K3 gives me an effective focal length of about 42mm, which feels quite normal to me now.

The build/feel of the K series lenses is nearly perfect. There is nothing fragile here. But the real story for the lens is all about the image resolution... it's really quite amazing. Stunning.

Wide open (f/3.5) is perfect for when I'm after a certain "smoothness", vs the razor sharp photographs I get when stopping down just a bit more.

Blah, Blah, Blah... photographs below.

Registered: January, 2016
Location: between Toulouse and Pyrenees Mountains
Lens Review Date: January 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness
Cons: not found
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

My new favourite lens, a walkaround and landscape lens, light, so well-built and an incredible sharpness.
The kind of lens that produce pictures with the wow effect.
Got a lot of lenses but not a lot are better.

Location: St. Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: November 8, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: amazing colors, contrast, quality, flare control, sharpness
Cons: slow, f3.5 minimum
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

This lens is plenty sharp. Even wide open shots have excellent sharpness especially in the center. It does get very, very sharp above f5.6. Looking at shots of a radio antenna in the far distance, focused at infinity, I'm finding f9.5 to be the sharpest. 8 is real good, 11 is real good, but above 11 it begins to lose sharpness. Below f6.7 it also begins to soften a bit. I'd give it a sharpness rating of 9.3, but since I have to pick I gave it a 9. It's just not razor sharp but absolutely plenty sharp for any needs. It's just that there are slightly sharper lenses out that that deserve the 10 rating.

What stands out for me is the colors and contrast. The contrast is just right for so many things, but really shines on foliage, vegetation, complex textures with micro shadows. Tremendous detail is enhanced in flattering ways and in a very balanced way. But these colors, wow. I find myself being very light-handed with my color and saturation adjustments. The raw images are almost there. There's a color tonality, a richness, something distinct with this lens, unusual. It has a signature. Reds are vibrant, blues are deep and saturated, greens are organic, yellows are natural and balanced. It's a VERY colorful lens.

Known as a landscape lens, this lens instantly tells you why. But I've absolutely enjoyed using it for close-ups and bokeh. The bokeh is unique, has an "underwater" quality to it, quite unique. I don't find it too busy or "nervous", but instead just artful and blurry in a way that really brings out the in-focus subject, has a strong 3D kind of pop. While I wouldn't liken this len's rendering or "look" to Leica or Zeiss, it does indeed compare in how the subject seems to leap out of the image with great realism, with stark 3-dimensionality. But that's only if you go for that kind of shot.

The build quality of this K28 is just astounding. It has the smoothest focus action, wonderful aperture ring action, perfect machining and build quality, hefty, robust, sexy. It's a true gem in every regard.

It controls flare amazingly well, but I do use a hood to help contrast and saturation. At apertures below 5.6 you can get tiny amount of purple fringing on specular highlights or extremely contrasty edges, but it's very small and NOT a problem whatsoever.

And here's a crop of the previous photo to show it's great sharpness and ability to grab such huge amounts of well resolved and rendered detail in the shadows. I don't think I really nailed the focus, but it's still quite resolved and sharp.

Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!