Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift Review RSS Feed

11 43,051 Wed October 5, 2016

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift

This large lens allows for the correction of converging lines.

SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 SHIFT
Preset, 8 blades

Built-in
Dedicated metal push-on
Built-in Filters,Rear Filter Mount
1975 to 2004
SMC PENTAX SHIFT 1:3.5/28 (early version), smc PENTAX SHIFT 1:3.5 28mm (later version)
22565 (early), 22561 (later)
Built-in filters,
Provision for rear-mounted gelatin filters.
Shift lens for perspective correction.
Two variants were produced. The only difference appears to be in the engraved name:
SMC PENTAX SHIFT 1:3.5/28 (early variant),
smc PENTAX SHIFT 1:3.5 28mm (later variant)
Manual FocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Location: Portland, OR
Lens Review Date: October 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: VERY well built, image quality
Cons: Does not accept filters.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax

Great lens. I've given away my Pentax body. Is there a market for this lens? I'm looking to sell it. It's in MINT condition.

Thanks

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado

Lens Review Date: December 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, unique feature
Cons: Limited correction on APS-C
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Nex-C3 with Zhongyi Focal Reducer II

Very unique lens in Pentax collection. Fun to use for building / indoor perspective control!

It is a regret that Pentax does not have a full frame DSLR / Mirrorless. It is only after I mount it to an old NEX-C3 with Zhongyi Focal Reducer II that I have fully realized how tremendously useful this lens is!!

Registered: March, 2009

Lens Review Date: September 10, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Nice IQ at far distance, well built, good handling, almost no distortion, low vignetting, good flare resistance
Cons: almost unusable IQ at close focus, heavy and expensive, bad IQ at apartures below f/8
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Super Program, ME Super, K5

I bought this lens for architecture and (possibly) landscape photography with my film bodies. And that's probably the only puropose of this lens.

It's image quality overall is pretty nice at far focus distances and you should always stop down to f/8-16. In any other case I'd rate it as almost useless and definitely weaker than the infamous M28/2,8 - except distortion. The K28/3,5 shift has almost no distortion.

Vignetting is also no issue here as well as lens flares. Although it tends to produce subtle colour casts at high contrast scenes when shifted.

Some people here were complaining about the handling - for me it's no problem; but I can imagine that the fact that you have to rotate the entire lens to shift in different directions could be a bit cumbersome when using an adapter. The many rings become second nature pretty quick if you use it a few times. I'm not even bothered by the (for me) useless filter-ring.

Focussing is another issue - it takes some time to get accustomed to the fact that you have to focus before you shift. Shifting darkens the viewfinder so much that a splitscreen will turn into a black spot pretty fast.

BTW: Here's an example (only moderately shifted)

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona

Lens Review Date: August 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Glass, Image Quality, Shift ---- Shift
Cons: Shooting directly into the sun, Weight, Preset non digital filters

I have had the lens just about a month. I primarily purchased it for landscapes and architecture. I had several other opportunities over the years, but this appeared for essentially the right price and its condition was essentially mint and factory new - although it had been used, you could not tell.

I can only echo the other reviews on build - metal, glass, heavy, unquestioned quality, like a tank, built to be able to withstand a nuclear detonation. The glass is perfect and it is sharp. Shifting is very easy. Rotation does take some practice. I found during my first few outings, that I did not sufficiently rotate it enough, however - this resulted in finding that you can use this to essentially take the equivalent of multiple row stitched panoramas (e.g., a 2 row by 3 image), by rotating to the diagonal positions. The lens shifts and also rotates, with a rotational stop at each position of a clock face (all 12 of them). The other opportunities I had to acquire this lens (for higher costs), I passed on - both for the cost and because the focal length crop factor concerned me. So far, I have not found it to be a problem yet. That said, its just been too hot to go downtown to shoot some buildings and see how it handles the various situations.

Since receiving it I have used it for landscapes and sunsets, shooting directly into the sun, in the evening at dusk. If there is a weakness in this lens, this may be it - primarily when shifted. I am thinking that practice with the lens as it applies to the situations will help to a degree, along with applying it to situations where it can excel.

This lens likes to be stopped down, so I started at f8, and now thinking that f11 is its sweet spot. The lens does take some time, as well as practice, to understand what it can do. With this lens you need to think through what you what to do and how you are going to do it. You can also overshift the lens. You have to understand that when shifted all 11mm, you are essentially reducing the amount of light that makes it to the ENTIRE sensor, since it appears that the light is somewhat concentrated over the portion of the sensor that the center point of the lens is shifted over. That coupled with shooting directly into the sun may not produce the best images.

This is not my video - however I happened across it. It show the lens' operations and might be interesting to folks considering this lens...

Its ability for perspective correction has been well covered. Its ability to shift from one side to the other for panoramic stitching has also been addressed. However, using this lens to take a series of images and stitching them together in somewhat of a non traditional manner has not been covered very well. Since this lens rotates in a shifted manner around all 12 of the clock points, taking these images and stitching them provides a number of opportunities as shown in the attached image.

(Non working link removed)

Moderator PEG Judges

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.

Lens Review Date: July 4, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Possibly IMHO Pentax engineering at its best
Cons: None, that I've found, I'd rate this lens a 12
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 7

It's one of my all time favourite lenses.

I used extensively of FF cameras (LXs etc) just as a wide angle lens, which had extra capabilities if required, not so much nowadays on DSLRs, except on a notion or on a job requirement.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it slows down the picture taking process, which I admit I do enjoy. It allows me the luxury of really checking what will become the final image in the viewfinder, because it requires a slight process to use, as opposed to dare I say with tongue in cheek point/click.

I still use use it to make myself disappear in and on reflective surfaces, rather than do the work in PP. I guess that's the journalist in me coming out where PP is almost forbidden, apart from a little sharpen and contrast.

Registered: May, 2010

Lens Review Date: May 16, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $325.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price and build
Cons: Way of shifting, not enough WA

Bought this lens as a cheaper alternative to the Canon TS-E 24mm.

"huh?"

I mainly use this lens on a digital full frame Canon. I use it for architecture and I love the image quality. If you get used to the lens, it is quite easy to work with, the two dials for aperture are really usefull. There are some cons however. The shift mechanism isn't the best I've seen on a shift lens. I prefer a mechanism that work with a little screw/knob for adjusting the shift more precisely. Second, 28mm isn't very wide for architecture, 24mm would be better (or the new TS-E 17mm by Canon).

My last con isn't really a fault of the lens, my adapter does not outline the lens exactly with my Canon so it is difficult to shift only in vertical direction. If there is somebody who knows a proper adapter, please pm

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: June 20, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Quality, design and functionality.
Cons: Preset lens, only three built-in filters, cost, weight.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

This is the Pentax “transformer” lens! I bought this lens last fall and only recently used it. It’s definitely a specialty lens, which explains why it’s so easy to pick up one in near mint condition. I got an original “K” series one, with case and manual. You will need the manual, as this is not a simple lens to use and quite different from other Pentax lenses.

For a detailed description on how to use the lens, this is the link to the original manual:

Observations:

This is Preset lens, which means you have to use stop-down metering. It has two diaphragm rings, one you preset the aperture and the other controls the aperture size. It would have been easier if this was a full manual lens and would remove one ring from the already complicated design.

There are three built-in filters, Y2, O2 and Skylight. These are great for a film user like me, who shoots in colour and B&W. It would have been nice to also have a UV filter built-in. This lens is best used in sunny daylight situations, as the built-in filters are suited for this type of shooting.

This lens is very similar to the K & A 15/3.5 in size and weight. Both lenses also have a small built in hood, exposed front element and use the same “tin can” metal lens cap.

You can shift in either vertical (default) or horizontal camera position. You need to rotate the entire lens 90 degrees to use it horizontally; it’s a bit cumbersome to use it this way.

You can set all the shift dials to the “0” setting and use this lens as a regular, albeit heavy, 28mm wide angle lens. It works well this way and saves you also carrying a second lens. Whether it’s as sharp as the K28/3.5, is another story.

This is a very well built lens and has a quite amazing design. It’s a pleasure to use and if you are into architectural photography a must. I took this lens on a recent trip for this purpose and it was my only wide angle lens. I was quite impressed with the shifting effect on the skyscrapers I took pictures of. It’s also a bonus that it can be used for scenic and regular photography. I’m not sure if this lens would be of much use on an APS-C DSLR, as the angle of view might be too narrow, but on a film camera the focal length is perfect!

Sample shots taken with the K28/3.5 Shift. Photos are medium resolution scans from original slides.

Camera: K2 Film: Fuji Velvia 50 ISO: 50 (Uncorrected – without shift)

Camera: K2 Film: Fuji Velvia 50 ISO: 50 (Corrected – with moderate shift)

Registered: May, 2009

Lens Review Date: May 23, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $525.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality. Build quality. Shift!
Cons: Built in filters not that useful for digital

This is a lens that just makes you love the process of photography. If you have any interest in shooting architecture or panoramas, then you will not likely be disappointed in it.

In terms of image quality, the lens is wonderfully sharp, has excellent contrast, and very well controlled distortions. The first test shots I did with it in close quarters barrel distortions were visible, but in real world shooting of architecture they are negligible.

Build quality is superb. This is a solid lens, yet for what it is it doesn't feel overly heavy. If you are one of those people that love the physical design of a good lens, then you'll love this one: it has an aperture ring and a preset ring; a rotating knob that shifts the lens; a knob that rotates the lens independently of the shifting mechanism so you can put it in any orientation; and a ring that controls the three built-in filters (skylight, yellow and orange...if you're using film you'll appreciate these but on digital they're not all that useful). And of course there's a knurled focus ring with a silky smooth precision. The front of the lens has a very slight "hood" around the front element that will take a 77mm filter, and there's also a clip in the rear that will take gelatin filters.

On a Pentax digital crop sensor camera, you obviously won't get the full 28mm which does limit its usefulness for wide angle architecture. (Although the overall image quality is so good it doesn't make a bad walk around lens either, albiet a heavy one.) The lens really does shine, though, when used on a full frame camera. With a K-mount adapter I've been using it on a Canon 5dMKII with impressive results. (To see an example of full frame shift correction see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/index.php?n=12232

The lens is also useful for stitching panormas, because by shifting the lens between photos you get perfectly aligned photos to merge. You can also use the shift to make deliberate "overshifts" or "reverse shifts" for creative effects.

Now, obviously this lens is not for everyone. If you are looking for a light, compact 28mm prime then this is not it. But if you want the ability to do perspective corrections without needing to degrade the image in post processing, or the ability to make panoramas, then this is definitely a lens you'll want to keep an eye out for.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Indianapolis

Lens Review Date: March 4, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Pentax's only shift lens
Cons: Heavy, not really wide enough, expensive

I feel sort of bad reviewing this lens. I had it for a total of a year. I found that I didn't have the patients to use a shift lens and it just wasn't something that I used enough as a nature photographer. Perhaps if it were wider I would have had more use for it.

It is a beautifully constructed lens and for those who need it, and can live at 28mm you have a beautiful lens.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"

Lens Review Date: November 30, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build-quality, optical quality at infinite distances
Cons: poor image quality at near distances, handling could be easier
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9

This is one of those lenses, you usually only buy, if you possess any other lens, you dreamed of. This is, why I got the Pentax 28mm shift only later in my photographic life. Unfortunately, I add, as I sure have missed many great opportunities, which this lens opens up!

Build is typical for K-lenses, made like a tank and mechanically very precise. I had to disassemble my lens completely, as it had fungus on the internal filters, which are located right in the center of the whole assembly. I can heartily testify to the superb engineering.

Useage could have been improved. The lens rotation is anything but easy. Some kind of lock/unlock screw would have made that easier.

The image quality is very good, especially when stopped down to f/8 or f/11 - even when shifted - at infinite distances. For a wide-angle that means for anything beyond 10 meters or so. (Used on the K10 and K20.)

I bought that lens with an eye on studio use. Shifting would be nice for some product shots and I tried. But image quality at near distances is abysmal. When shifted, the edge sharpness is so bad, it looks completely defocused, the contrast breaks in and colour abberartions are visible. So this is the one area, where I find the lens virtually unusable. But for its classical field of application: architecture and panoramics, it excels.

Registered: February, 2008
Location: UK

Lens Review Date: April 15, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Superb Build Quality
Cons: Time consuming to use but it's a shift lens

I have just purchased this lens, and have not had a chance to really get to know it yet. I am a historic buildings archaeologist and have just used it to photograph a row of nineteenth century buildings. I must say that the quality of construction is superb and it is quite weighty at 610g.

I have used it on my Super A and K10d, and on the K10 I find it is fantastic and produces panoramas and perspective control for buildings. It has three in-built filters and a clip for a gelatin filter. IQ is excellent on digital and I find the focal length increase just about right if one can get back far enough from the building, I would rather use this lens in the field than use perspection correction in PP. I find it a bit wide for 35mm but still great value.

In use (with instructions to hand!) it is so satisfying and really makes one slow right down and think about trying to get the perfect image. All in all a fantastic tool. I was lucky to find this on Ebay and it was in perfect condition.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!