Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 35mm F2 Review RSS Feed

13 72,470 Fri March 15, 2019

SMC Pentax 35mm F2

This fast wide-angle lens was later replaced by more compact M, A and FA versions.

PH-S52 (24mm)
1975 to 1977
SMC PENTAX 1:2/35
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 35mm F2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-13 of 13

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Lens Review Date: March 15, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $165.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, excellent low light abilities, nice bokeh
Cons: Hard to focus, some chromatic aberrations
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3, K-x

This is a nice lens, as I was able to get excellent photos with it. It's major flaw was a short focus throw, which made it hard to get photos consistently in focus. I am usually pretty good with getting the job done with manual focus lenses, as I've owned many. But I decided to go to its FA sibling with autofocus after some family pictures where not too many were in focus to my taste. Yes, I like hair popping sharpness, which this lens can give, just not with faster moving subjects. Another con was I noticed it started to yellow again after the previous owner sold it to me after he "de-yellowed" it by putting it under UV light. This leads me to believe it is has a radioactive element, which doesn't bother me, only the fact that I don't like to have to periodically de-yellow my lenses, but expect them to be ready when I need them. Otherwise it is a very well built, dense object that is smooth focusing and is fun to shoot with. Get closer to your subject and you get nice bokeh too. Stop down a little and it's soooo sharp. A little chromatic aberrations and/or lack of contrast can be seen wide open but never too harsh in my opinion and adds character. I'd recommend giving this lens a try. It definitely holds it value well and is a sought after lens. Here are some samples:

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: March 2, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Contrast, colors, bokeh
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: Sony A7

Excellent lens. In fact, I don't believe it's the same as the smc Takumar 35/2 v2, as suggested by some people. The lens diagram, at least on the forum, is different.
I have both lenses, so I have to compare them side by side, but I was able to take much better pictures with the K lens. It also focusses much closer I think.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah
Lens Review Date: February 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, contrast, close focusing
Cons: prone to flare, radioactive
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony a7ii, a7s

I think this lens benefits from the larger 52mm filter thread in comparison to other f2 35mm lenses. It has very nice sharpness, best in class bokeh, is nice and contrasty, and this lens also does not lose much "pop" factor in achieving these qualities. It's only drawbacks are the fact that it's quite radioactive, and it does not resist flare as well as other SMC 35mm lenses I have.

I also have and have compared in detail, this lens to the Takumar 1:4 f=35mm, Auto-Takumar 35mm f2.3, the S-M-C Takumar 35mm f3.5, M series 35mm f2.8, and FA 35mm f2. For anyone curious and wanting to compare, see my video for a comprehensive review with examples.

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: February 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Smooth Bokeh
Cons: Haven't found any yet
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

This is easily one of my favorite K lenses. The lens has creamy smooth bokeh wide open and is really sharp at f8. Maybe not quite as sharp as the K 35mm f3.5, but very close.

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, handling, value, built quality
Cons: maybe the weight, flare resist
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K 3 Prestige Edition,LX,K2DmD

Bear in mind this is a great lens !
My copy was found nearly cheap at e-bay, compared to my really sharp A-35 f2,8
it is the same leaque if not better especially in built quality !
Ok it is bigger in size and weight, but it suits the K3 with Grip so fine :-)
It is really a pleasure to work with - built to last !
The flare resistence is not so good - a adequate hood is needed -
just did not find the right, so I avoid some situations ...

On Film it is a real compagnion to my LX - love the f2 for street shots .
Color rendition is SMC like - really pleasing !

Axel

Location: Lower Saxony

Lens Review Date: December 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp enough wide open, colors
Cons: short focus screw ~150į, esp. near infinity
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

Got my one a month ago.
Today first tests at long last nice light conditions and satisfied with f/2.0 result of focusing a well exposed botanazing model

K-5 IIS, out of camera jpg, 1/2500 s, ISO 200, f/2.0

Lens Review Date: March 8, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Velvet feel , sharp , great colours . Buildt to last .
Cons: non so far .
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5 ll

Sold as a M ,but could tell from the photos that it was a K .Got it becourse of my newly K add. and the rarety of it .

Location: Strand
Lens Review Date: March 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, build quality, speed, sharpness, bokeh
Cons: Heavy, some CA bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is one of the lenses make me stay with K-mount. Excellent IQ with one click down. A bit soft wide open, but it's still sharp and good IQ. I have no problem using this lens in low light conditions wide open.

I also use this lens from time to time to shoot in snow/white bright background, using f3.2 for best image quality and blurred background. The subject in focus area is sharp, but the bokeh/out-of-focus area does have some CA and hard to be fixed in post processing.

I have seen a Canon shooter using this lens on their body.

Highly recommended.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Lens Review Date: August 26, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Uniform performance less Vignetting, Solidly built
Cons: Bigger and heavier than the M

35mm f2 is a well known Pentax focal length which can be traced back to the early Takumar age. My understanding is that this is the same optically as the 2nd version of the Super Multi-coated Takumar 35mm f2 lens. I have the first version 35mm f2 Takumar which has a much bigger front opening.

The lens is very well built, like all other K lenses. I am not sure if this is true. Some of my early K version lenses (excluding K24 f2.8, K135 f2.8 and K50 f1.4) start to have aperture delay problems. Some of the delay does not affect regular use. But using f22 begins to be problematic.

In comparison with my M35 f2, this is much bigger and longer. The image quality is more uniform throughout the whole picture. While the contrast is slightly low at f2, the Vignetting problem is less significant than M35. More importantly, the corner quality is much better than M35 at f2. The differences are less apparent at f8.

If you have a M35, should you get a K35 f2? For me, absolutely if you can find one. For daily use M35 is more than sufficient in my opinion.

Location: Vancouver, Canada
Lens Review Date: July 25, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, versatility and quality.
Cons: Cost, not as sharp as other cheaper lenses in similar focal lengths.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

The 35mm focal length on a film camera is kind of unique. It fits nicely between a normal (50-55mm) and a more common wide angle of 28mm. So you can use this FL as a one lens option for many shooting situations. Itís also perfect for traveling.

F/2 is fairly fast for this FL, which lets you use the K35/2 in just about any lighting condition. The K35/2 also has a 52mm filter size and shares the same lens hood as the other K series 28mm & 35mm WA lenses. I have found no vignetting issues using a polarizer or stacking filters on this lens.

I am quite pleased with the results that I have gotten using my K35/2 and it seems relatively sharp. I have not done any head to head tests with other lenses that I own in similar focal lengths, but I do not think itís as sharp as my K28/3.5 or K35/3.5. It also does not have the same 3D effect that the K28/2 can produce in close-ups.

Overall this is a versatile lens that I would recommend if you want to travel light and as with all K series lenses the build/quality is superb. The K35/2 is somewhat rare, so you will pay much more for it than a K28/3.5 or K35/3.5. (Though the prices for the K35/3.5 have gone way up recently.)

Sample shots taken with the K35/2.0. Photos are medium resolution scans from original slides or negatives.

Camera: KX Film: Fuji Velvia 100 ISO: 100

Camera: K2 Film: Ilford FP4 Plus ISO: 125

Registered: May, 2008
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Lens Review Date: January 29, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, speed, sharpness, bokeh
Cons: size, rarity

Rated for film only.

Bought mine sight unseen from KEH in EX condition. Previously had used Tokina & Pentax M 28/2.8's, and tried a stint with the A 35 f/2. The K 35/2 dwarfs them all with it's 8/7 lens grouping and 52mm filter threads. A little large for a winder-less MX, but great for the LX with accessory grip.

Bulk aside, it's very easy to focus and is quite crisp from f/2.8 up, at f/2 the rendering of hard edges/high contrast (printed letters) suffers a little bit. In my reasoning, a fast wide angle is there to make focusing easier and give you some leeway to 'stop down' to optimal aperture, one click of the ring has you in that zone with this lens.

Even with only 6 aperture blades the bokeh is quite nice, I've not noticed any little coma wings as reported elsewhere on the internet (I suspect the element grouping gives it an edge over the K 35/3.5). The SMC coating must be doing its job as I've had no issues with flare or ghosting, and I use this lens without a hood.

If you frequently shoot in low light, the f/2 really does make a great difference in focusing ease, as does the speed if you intend to use it on a cropped sensor. If you're mainly a landscape/daytime shooter, the K 35/3.5 appears to be capable of higher resolution in a smaller, cheaper package, at the expense of speed and bokeh rendering.

It's my go-to lens for day to day shooting.

Registered: January, 2009
Location: Italy
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, colour rendition, build quality
Cons: Little chromatic aberrations in backlight

An higly recommended lens, color rendition is fantastic and really true to life with smooth gradations and rich colours, contrast is magnificent like most of best K version lenses, mechanically is perfect and well designed.
It suffers chromatic aberrations in backlight condition expecially wide open.
It's very rare and hard to find.
Optically is the same lens as SMC Takumar 35 f2

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Norway
Lens Review Date: March 13, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent IQ, solid, nice handling, fast.
Cons: None I can think of.

I got this for my LX and it is now one of my most used lenses with this camera. Handling is excellent, focusing and aperture rings are smooth and the f2 aperture makes for accurate focusing. Shows ecellent contrast and sharp from 2.8.
I have not used this on digital.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 35mm F2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!