Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

7.6
33 132,446 Sun May 27, 2018

SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5

The SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5 is the slower and smaller version of the two K series 35mm lenses. The optical design goes back to that of the Auto-Takumar from 1959!

PH-S52 (24mm)
1975 to 1977
SMC PENTAX 1:3.5/35
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 33

Registered: October, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Center Sharpness, Build
Cons: Soft on edges and corners on FF....falls off fast!!
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 6    Camera Used: Sony A7Rii

I've tested enough glass to know lens can vary copy to copy so I'm just talking about my copy: your mileage may vary. Used on a crop sensor this is a very sharp lens corner to corner. But on a FF the softness at all 4 edges is very apparent. I'm a big fan of Pentax glass so this one was a disappointment.

Registered: May, 2016
Location: Duluth, MN

Lens Review Date: March 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp in center on K1
Cons: A little soft at edges on K1 (but not bad)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: K1

I do like the lens, but not enough to keep using it over my 31 and 43 limiteds, even though I really like the 35mm FOV. There is just a little bit too much glow and softness towards the edges, even at f8. Could easily be sample variation. My K 28 3.5 is better. Like many Pentax lenses, old and new, it is excellent in the middle 2/3's of the frame. The search continues...

Registered: February, 2018

Lens Review Date: March 12, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: So sharp you'll cut yourself
Cons: The f3.5 thing is in the name...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K30

Actually started out with this on film where I was able to compare to the Zeiss 35 f2 on the Contax G2. This one more than held its own.

To paraphrase Blackadder, the K 35 f3.5 is sharper than a sharp thing that got out of bed and decided to be especially sharp this morning. If you want to own a true classic, just buy one and work out the green button thing afterwards. Seriously, if you see one, just go ahead and snap it up, whether you're full frame or APS-C. it's that good.

The rest (did I mention it was sharp?) is as good as any of the first issue K Takumar-carryovers; built like a tank with metal throughout, super smooth handling.

I can't quite believe this myself, but you can evidently still buy this for less than a fifth of the price of a new 31 limited. Just checked on ebay. The world's gone mad. Take advantage!

amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: December 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, build quality, clarity, color rendition
Cons: slow aperture can hinder low-light shoots
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3, K-50

for November's Single In Challenge, I used my recently-purchased copy of the SMC 35mm f3.5 (aka K35/3.5) - I was told before I bought the lens that the lens has a sterling reputation and that I should enjoy it...

they were right - this thing drips with pixie dust...

the only negative thing I can think of for this lens is its relatively-slow maximum aperture of f3.5 - if you are OK with this, you'll love this lens; if you are a low-light fanatic, you're going to be frustrated unless you like bumping up the ISO...

fine, negativity out of the way, let's talk color - point this lens at reds, I was told... it loves red; it also loves blue and green and orange and yellow and brown... any color, the K35/3.5 loves it...

bokeh is not always smooth with the five-blades in the iris, but you'll see old-school penta-bokeh if you're less than wide open...

typical of K-series lenses, this one is built like a tank and is a joy to operate - smooth focus ring, snickety-goodness on the aperture ring, and well built all around...

and the pics:

library by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

rust by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

Christmas decorations... by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

sunset by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and the rest of my album for this lens:

in short - no reason to not want a copy of this classic; slap it on and have a ball with it....

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Colorado
Lens Review Date: September 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, compact
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

Best 35mm prime that I've ever had. There may be better 35mm lenses out there (Samyang 35/1.4 and Sigma 35/1.4) but you have to pay much more. Already very sharp wide open. Close 1 stop and this lens becomes sharper, corner-to-corner, on a full-frame K-1. I compared this lens to DA35/2.4. This lens is better at f3.5 than DA35/2.4 at f3.5. At f8 they become about equal.

Dark Underlord

Registered: January, 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Lens Review Date: April 11, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

This lens is of solid, quality build. Imaging is sharp and contrasty. This lens is worlds ahead of the M-35/2.8. Though 1/2 stop less-fast, bokeh is better at 3.5 than it's 2.8 cousin at 2.8. I bought this lens for film use, but tested first on my K-3. Now I don't want to take it off the K-3. Maybe I need a second.

This sample is literally the very first photo I took with this lens. I got it in the mail, put it on my K-3, and went outside. The sun was setting through some passing storm clouds, so light was "variable". I set the aperture to 3.5 and framed this statue on the porch railing. I focussed, hit the green button, and pressed the shutter. Perfection on the first try.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah
Lens Review Date: February 21, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, colors, microcontrast in that order
Cons: 5 bladed aperture
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1000, Sony A7 series

This lens is superb, and in my opinion the best of the manual focus 35's from Pentax, possibly from anyone.

I compared it with several different 35mm's and this one had the most contrast, rendered the best colors. When I zoomed in, the microcontrast you would expect from having only 5 elements is there. Images have "punch" like the old Zeiss lenses. The image is very rich with fine detail, yet contrasty. Bokeh is actually nice when wide open. It's only when stopping down that it can become overly harsh. If I'm looking for bokeh, I'm wide open with extension tube anyway, so it's not an issue for me. This one is sharp right from wide open. I never need to think about stopping down for sharpness with this lens. Mine is the coated version. As typical, SMC makes flar not much of an issue, however on this 35 and as with any, it can happen and I have to shield it. Flare resistance seems better than most 35's as far as flare goes.

Build quality better than most a and some of my m series lenses. I prefer this over the 2.8's, m series, any pentax 35, this is the one. I also prefer it over several other brands that I compared it to. This lens is small. All these reasons make it my all arounder 35. Mine is pretty pristine, as it seems many are. Focusing is as smooth as day it left factory and clicks perfectly. I don't even mention build quality as a best thing about this lens because it's a given. Pentax K, M Tak series second to none on build quality.

This lens is a case of complex simplicity. I think it was a well thought out design from Pentax and a smart small lens.

Registered: November, 2011
Location: Chicago
Lens Review Date: November 28, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: resolution, contrast, color rendering, build
Cons: na
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3

After reading such rave reviews for this lens... and being a sucker for legendary K series glass, I finally tracked one down on ebay. It is a pretty amazing thing, grossly undervalued, and it weighs nothing. If this lens carried a Zeiss label, you could sell it for $500 easily.

Yes. It's that good.

What could be better? Well, the Bokeh isn't the best I've seen, and far from the worst. But on balance, there are a few Leica lenses out there which are priced well into the thousands, and they get the same comment from their owners.

The K 35 f/3.5 is all about the resolution, and it kills. Perfectly sharp wide open, with lush contrast. I shoot Black and White most of the time, and I'm a bit of a contrast whore. It had to be said.

Registered: July, 2015
Lens Review Date: May 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $135.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: sharp, light, flare resistance
Cons: NA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I agree, this is really a great lens.
I bought it in very good condition and I'm very, very happy with it.
Other good photographers already described how good it is.
I just wanted to add one example of how good his lens is wide open.

Cheers!
Long live Pentax!

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: February 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, solid, color pallette
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

Woo-eee. I can see this lens starting a long, unhealthy obsession with the K series for me.

It's a great lens for a great price.

-- The color rendition of the lens is unique to the point of weird, but great. It loves blue. Overall WB might render slightly cool, but blue in particular is very saturated. Individual colors seem drawn out while retaining the distinction between slightly different shades.

-- Really sharp. The fastest aperture is slow-ish but that's the charm. It manages the "pop" you hear about... not so much with DOF but by transitions in sharpness in the scene.

-- does not like shooting too directly toward the sun. hazes out with too sharp a light. but it DOES generally handle backlit subjects well. I notice that it keeps very different values within a good contrast balance. in comparison, my DA 16-45 turns anything remotely backlit BLACK. but you can shoot that one right at the sun and get something nice, and preserve the scene.

Registered: April, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality. Sharpness. Colour rendition.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7r

This is an outstanding lens. On a par with the wonderful k28 f3.5.
Matches the Sony Zeiss fe 35 f2.8 in resolution and produces deeper and more vibrant colours.
There are no issues with flare, CA, or purple fringing.
I would highly recommend it to owners of the Sony a7r

Registered: August, 2014

Lens Review Date: October 18, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Razor sharp, easy and fast to focus, great colour saturation, perfect for street photography
Cons: none in its category
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax ME Super

An incredibly sharp lens, with great micro contrast, wonderful colour rendition and deep saturation. The 35mm focal lenght makes it perfect for street photo.

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: September 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice color rendition
Cons: bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This is a gem! Razor sharp with amazing color rendition and contrast, this lens is a steal for landscape photography. Less expensive than a K 30mm, if you find one do not hesitate. It gives the best of itself by 5.6

Registered: January, 2010
Location: The Black Hills

Lens Review Date: June 15, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $105.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast and detail
Cons: Purple fringing, CA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

I did think that much of this lens at first, but the more I use it the more I like it.
Not much I can add to the rest of the reviews, I use it for landscapes @F5.6-11 and don't get much bokeh, so I my not be the best judge of that aspect of the lens.
UPDATE June 2014
Sold the lens after getting a hold of an excellent copy of a 35 3.5 Super Takumar. I like the color of the ST much more, with the same amount of sharpness and detail, without as much CA and purple fringing. Maybe it was me or just my copy of the SMC 35.
A couple of samples:

Registered: April, 2012
Lens Review Date: June 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: robusto, maneggevole, messa a fuoco molto fluida, preciso
Cons: nessuno
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K20D

L'ho trovato per caso in una vetrina di un negozio di Roma, quasi nascosto dietro altri obiettivi usati Pentax. Ho chiesto di osservarlo meglio. Gli scatti dei diaframmi erano buoni come pure la fluiditą della messa a fuoco. Le lenti erano pulite. Pochissimi i segni d'uso. L'ho comperato e portato a casa. Montato sulla mia K20D, ho eseguito alcuni scatti a f5.6 e f8.0, ho ingrandito sul monitor della fotocamera e sono rimasto molto piacevolmente sorpreso. Riesce ad essere molto nitido anche a forti ingrandimenti ed a tutti i diaframmi. Con esso credo di aver comperato la migliore delle lenti della mia collezione di obiettivi Pentax.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 35mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!