Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » K Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax 85mm F1.8 Review RSS Feed

9.9
20 92,254 Tue October 18, 2016

SMC Pentax 85mm F1.8

This is the fastest 85mm lens in the M/K series.

PH-R52
1975 to 1977
SMC PENTAX 1:1.8/85
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 85mm F1.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-20 of 20

Registered: July, 2008
Location: France
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh
Cons: Missing "interface" with new Pentax DSLRs ...

I bought this lens two years ago. Since then, it has become one of my most used lenses. Quite soft fully open, but still usable. Great bokeh, and really sharp from f/2 on ... 9/10 only because i cannot have the current f/stop value shown in the viewfinder of my K10D, otherwise it would have been a full 10/10 ...

Registered: February, 2007
Location: Michigan/USA
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, sharpness, oof rendering, size.
Cons: K lens have to use in manual mode, prefer PK-A.

I have a lot of nice lenses, this one is a favorite. The focusing is so easy and smooth, bright viewfinder, the color and clarity of the photo even at 1.8 is impressive.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Norway
Lens Review Date: March 13, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice out of focus rendering. Nice handling.

A bit soft when wide open, but sharpens nicely when stopped down. Very solidly built. Nice OOF rendering.
I have not tested on digital, but I suspect it would compare nicely with the FA77mm.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Lens Review Date: January 26, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, crisp focusing, superb bokeh, sharp at f2
Cons: not f1.4 but that is rather obvious, non-A

The tag line "beat by the speed of the FA* and A*" is sort of silly. As if that sums it up. I'm happy with this lens so far -- I have a sample locally for a relatively low cost compared to eBay. A few photos here:

Update: Here are some more photos (a lot at f1.8 with ND4 filter during day):

(Non working link removed)

At first, I hesitated to use it wide open but I decided to give it a try and I like it. Sure, it is less sharp wide open but the images it produces are very good. Even if you pixel peep! The DOF is razor thin though at close range. This is my favorite lens.

Registered: October, 2006
Location: 44266
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Fairly sharp, good bokeh
Cons: Heavy?

I bought this lens new in the mid to late 80's I think and it has served me well. I have shot a lot of Tri-X with this one. A good 'short' portrait lens as well as good for some woodland pictures where the 1.8 is a help.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 85mm F1.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!