Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Zoom Lenses

7.7
 10.0
10 51,356 Tue February 23, 2016

SMC Pentax-M 24-35mm F3.5

This lens has a small yet useful focal range for wide angle shooting.

APS-C: 62-45 ° / 53-38 °
Full frame: 84-63 ° / 74-54 °
H-R58 screw-in
1980 to 1986
smc PENTAX-M ZOOM 1:3.5 24mm-35mm
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 24-35mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance

Lens Review Date: February 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: built quality, optics, universally usage
Cons: light distorsion
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

I bought this great lens for my Sony A7 and it seems, that the camera and the lens were made for each other, because this zoom is a very compact lens. I can recommend this lens for digital full frame photography in architecture and landscape, especially for high quality trip and travel and even street photography.

I made some shots from street scenes in a dark rainy night, what didnīt cause any problems with stars, disturbing reflections or ghosts. The super multi coating is still working great on digital!
Colors are absolutely neutral. Even a ND 3.0 big stopper doesn`t make any problems with ghosts,
so that this lens is a great lens for experimental landscape photography. At aperture 8 to 11 and even 16, you will get perfect sharpeness from 1m to several kilometers, if the weather is clear.

I hope, my photos are able to convince you

The light barrel distosion can be eliminated by every modern Image software, so that in fact there is no difference to modern digital lenses, which also use a correction software - inside the camera.
But this lens offers you a mechanical quality, which no modern lens can do. I love this lens - all in all a great performance.

If you find a M 3,5/24-35 in good condition, pick it up and keep it.

Registered: April, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality and colour rendition
Cons: Purple fringing and CA
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7r

I bought this lens for landscape photography for the Sony a7r, for those occasions when I would wish to travel light with only one lens and in the hope that I could leave behind the k28 f3.5 and k35 f3.5.
The lens is superbly made, a joy to use and has lovely colour rendition.
Whilst centre sharpness is excellent, there is significant fall off towards the corners even at f8 and f11.
There is extensive purple fringing at the edges and to a lesser degree CA, at all focal lengths.
I would not recommend it for use with the Sony a7r but I look forward to using it with my Pentax ME. I suspect that the aberrations will be less problematic with film.

I thought it would be worth inserting an addendum having had greater useage of the lens since my original review and in the light of my purchase of the much acclaimed Sony zeis fe 16-35 f4 zoom.

I really have become somewhat impressed by this little lens. It is a joy to use and so well built. The focus ring is silky smooth.

This lens, a tenth of the price of the Sony, more than holds its own against the bigger lens in terms of sharpness at f8. It renders the colours more deeply producing vibrant blues and greens. It does produce more purple fringing than the Sony but this is easily corrected with the purple defringe tool in LR 5.

I can now conclude that this is an excellent lens that works very well with the a7r and which is a joy to use. It makes for an excellent landscape lens and is an excellent companion to the smc m 20 f4.

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Bangalore

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Colors, size, sharp for wideangle
Cons: Two touch zoom, limited range

I already have a very nice Sigma 10-20mm for wide-angle but I purchased this for using on film camera, and now I am using it both on film and DSLR, it's perfect for landscape on Film/FF and perfect for streets on APS-C

It likely to be not your sharpest lens wide-open, but stopped down a bit, it's as sharp as primes. So if your intended use is landscape at smaller apertures, this will be a perfect lens. Also, it's very compact, almost the same size M85 so it becomes perfect lens for hiking/tracking etc. A bit of barrel distortion but you won't notice it unless you are shooting architecture. Some comparison shots against Sigma 24mm and Sigma 19mm here, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237496-pentax-...n-crop-ff.html

M24-35 on left, M85 on the right.

Overall, I love this lens.

Location: Vancouver, Canada
Lens Review Date: April 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $275.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, decent speed and constant aperture.
Cons: Cumbersome to use.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

The M24-35/3.5 was released in late 1979 and is the one and only Pentax zoom in this focal range. The M24-35ís production run lasted six years and it was discontinued in 1986. The M24-35 also happens to be the smallest Pentax zoom, with a height of only 48mm.

Optics:
The optics are good but these older wide angle zooms do suffer from some distortion. Although I found the distortion to be less than with the M24-50/4 zoom. You do have to sacrifice some optical quality for convenience with these older zooms.

Focal length:
A short focal range of only 11mm, but on film 24mm-35mm covers the wide angle range nicely. This is a great street lens on film.

Build/Mechanics:
Good build and a very small size for a faster zoom. For me this is perfect for traveling when I only want to carry one wide angle lens. The M24-35 has a dedicated screw-on metal lens hood, with a 58mm filter thread. The zoom is a two touch design which makes the lens cumbersome to use, as you have three rings in a short space. (Aperture, zoom and focus) It would have been better as a one touch zoom and there would be less chance of turning the wrong ring when you are looking through the cameras viewfinder. The M24-35 does not have a DOF scale which is missed on a wide angle lens.

Speed:
F3.5 is pretty good speed for a 24-35mm lens, so no complaints here. This is also a constant aperture zoom, which I like much better than the variable ones.

Summary:
As a film only shooter Iíll use this zoom as my wide angle lens, when I want to travel light. Itís not as good optically as my K series primes in this focal range, but good enough when you want the convenience of only one lens. I would have given the M24-35 a 9 if it was less cumbersome to use and had a one touch zoom design.

Overall I rate the M24-35/3.5 an 8.5

Sample shots taken with the M24-35/3.5. Photos are low resolution scans from original slides or negatives

Camera: K1000SE Film: Fuji Sensia ISO: 100

Camera: KM Film: Ilford HP5+ ISO: 400

Location: Tennessee

Lens Review Date: February 23, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Accurate color, nice contrast, small size
Cons: limited focal range
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20d

Focal length is a bit limited, but it is a very nice range for landscape work. Lens give great color rendition without being too saturated, and nice sharp results (when my old eyes yield accurate focus!).

Focus and zoom rings are smooth and well damped. Good solid construction and feel. Front element rotates when focussing. Focus throw from infinity to minimum (0.5m) is about 1/4 turn.

I have not tried it without a hood, but had no problems with flare on a very bright day.

Here are some sample photos:

Registered: December, 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Lens Review Date: June 5, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size. Constant Aperture
Cons: Zoom Range

Although I enjoyed using this lens, it never had that much use as I had the 24-50/4.

The IQ is similar but the zoom range is quite limited. Where it does come in useful is as a "travel" lens. Although larger in diameter, it is not much longer than the Std lenses and is quite "petite" compared with the 24-50. It is also faster.

However, if neither of these are important the 25-50 is more readily available and probably more flexible.

Kim

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Fowlmere, UK
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: nice colour rendition, surprising quality
Cons: limited range
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I only briefly owned this lens, when I was on a stroll and also had a couple of other 35mm's. These include the Pentax-M 2/35mm, M 2.8/35mm, the DA-L 18-55mm at 35mm, and the A 645 3.5/35mm via the Pentax adapter. The 645 lens was in a league of its own, in every respect, but what hugely surprised me was the quality of this zoom lens. I liked its sharpness, but above all its rendering. I actually preferred it to my copies of the 2/35 and 2.8/35, and the only reason I did away with it was because I sold my 135mm camera system altogether and invested in 645. Had I kept a lens, it would have been this one (I had no access to the 1.4/35mm, let alone the 1.8/31mm).

Location: Norfolk
Lens Review Date: September 10, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Optically OK, decent construction
Cons: Poor handling, fiddly zoom and focus

This zoom just couldn't match the 2.8/24 and 2/35 M primes it was intended to replace. I found its handling fiddly - the focus and zoom rings were poorly matched and, on my version, needed more effort than they should. Otherwise a good performer, nice build, but annoying to use.

The zoom range, already limited, became an unexciting 36~52mm (effectively) when dSLRs arrived and I recently exchanged it for a 24~50 M which is far more useful and now very usable with the green button facility.

For film shooters it's a worthwhile buy if the 24 and 35 primes aren't already in your bag. It gets 7 from me because the ergonomics let it down.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Indiana
Lens Review Date: July 16, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $119.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile for landscapes
Cons: Slight distortion

I bought this lens in 1991 when I lived in Saudi Arabia. I use it a lot for landscapes and I like it. When I take flower pictures at the 24mm setting there is some distortion of the plant stems. There is minor bending. This is on the corners. I don't mind this. Overall a great lens.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Lens Review Date: April 11, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $59.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, sharp, superb construction
Cons: Barrel distortion

I haven't had this long, but since there are no reviews yet, here are my initial impressions, after just a few rolls. I got this to use with my LX, essentially so I wouldn't have to buy a 28 and a 35. It isn't especially fast, and there is a fair bit of barrel distortion at the wide end, but overall I think it's superb, and quite a surprise. VERY small for a wide zoom, plenty sharp, and it handles beautifully. I also think it's extremely cool looking. I really can't overstate how good the lens feels to use. Unless you need the extra stop or so, or are extremely fussy about IQ, it can easily replace a couple of primes in your bag. This, plus the little Pentax-A 35-70, and perhaps an ME Super, would make a wonderful walk-around film rig that could fit in a tiny bag.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 24-35mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!