Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

7.6
81 325,703 Sat July 7, 2018

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8

This popular lens came in two nearly-identical variations, depending on the year of production. The second version had the optical formula of the smc PENTAX-A version and it also looks like an early A lens (no silver decorative ring). Both optical designs have 7 lens elements in 7 groups and a 5 blade diaphragm.

The first two images depict the first version and its optical diagram, while the last image show the second version.

Data for the first version:

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
Hard case HA-90B
1977 to 1982
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm
This is the original version. The later second version has the optics of the A version and lacks the silver ring.

The second version:
SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 (ii)

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
Hard case HA-90B
1982 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm

This second version of the M 28mm has the optics of the A version and lacks the silver ring.

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 81

Registered: November, 2015
Location: Cornpatch, Iowa
Lens Review Date: July 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small and sharp

I like this lens a lot (early version with the silver band). It's a true 28mm for me, using it on the Sony A7 II with an inexpensive Beschoi adapter.

On the negative side, at wider apertures, as some have said, this lens is soft at the edges.

On the bonus side, it's small and unobtrusive, and when set at f/8, is in focus (by film standards) from about 5 feet to infinity, making a great walk-around street lens. I say "by film standards," because by digital standards, when you blow up your "negative" to about 60 inches wide, there is softness at 5 feet and at infinity. However, at normal screen resolution (say on a 27-inch monitor) you won't notice the not-so-sharp areas.

So... if you set this to f/8 and let your camera adjust speed and/or ISO, you can shoot from the hip all day and get outstanding street photos, without alarming those whom you are photographing. I find street photography much more appealing when the subjects are acting natural and not "acting" for a camera.

Compared to the 28-70mm f3.5 zoom that came with the Sony A7 II, at f/8, the Sony is slightly sharper in the middle. Slightly. However, from edge to edge, the Pentax 28mm is sharper overall, especially at f/8.

The bokeh is too busy for my liking; avoid shooting wide open with a lot of little lights or light areas behind the subject.

For landscape, at tighter apertures, it is decently sharp from edge to edge—wide open, not so much.

If you like your portraits up close and personal (and a little dreamy), this lens will make you happy when using it wide open.

For street photography, it is a top performer for shooting sharp, candid photos.

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Athens
Lens Review Date: June 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small, light, sharp and contrasty
Cons: not for me
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I have (from 1988) the 1st version and feel very happy with it. It was the standard wideangle on my trusty Mx and Lx bodies. Now, is giving precious services on a Sony α7.

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Kent

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Works well on APSC sensors. Great build quality and small.
Cons: Very soft corners on Full Frame even when stopped down.
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Sony a7, Fuji X-T1

I picked up a copy of this lens last week and have run it through some torture tests.

Ironically it performs better on an APSC sensor rather than full frame. This might be why some people on here love it or don't rate it highly?

Colour rendition is good and centre sharpness is fine. Transitional areas between in focus areas and bokeh are nice too, little ghosting or fuss.

The softness wide open on full a frame sensor is so apparent that the peaking on my Sony a7 gets very confused as to what's actually in focus, making it tricky to use, on Full Frame. The Fuji X-T1 handled it fine with it's smaller sensor.

A good quality, cheap small lens for the APSC user.

Test Chart on Full Frame - https://flic.kr/p/Jketsi
Test Chart on APSC - https://flic.kr/p/23gR2Xa
Photo in Low Light - https://flic.kr/p/Jkeu98

Registered: October, 2017
Lens Review Date: November 30, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $69.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp corner-to-corner, excellent color
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-70

I'm fairly new to digital photography, and this was the second lens I ever got besides the kit lens with my K-70. I've fallen in love with the K and M prime lenses since I started using them.

This is the widest prime I currently own, and I have to say it is SHARP corner to corner when stopped down. Excellent vivd colors like I've come to expect from these old manual lenses.

It's so small and light, I never have a reason to leave it at home when I go out!

Registered: November, 2017
Location: New York City
Lens Review Date: November 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and easy to use.
Cons: I cannot think of a deal-breaker
Sharpness: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50; K-1000

I think I have the 1st version.

On the K-50, this is my favorite lens. Bar none. It is fun to handle, small, sharp... It has got great color. Here are some shots...

I'm an amateur photographer who just loves the art of shooting. I love this lens, not too technical as to why I do, but I do.

Registered: September, 2017
Location: Norwich
Lens Review Date: October 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, colour rendition, quality
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Panasonic GX80

I was lucky enough to find the version 2 of this lens in a high street store, with the same price as the v1 in a pristine condition. I felt like stealing off a church, as the Pentax-A series (identical to this) is my favourite when it comes to IQ.

I use this on my Panasonic GX80 with a pk->m4/3 mount and I have only nice things to say about it. While the bokeh is not the best (especially compared to my Pentax-A 50mm F1.7), it is a very useful wide-angle lens. It offers a nice colour rendition (even a bit more on the muted side) that matches what I expect from a Pentax lens of the era. Videography is a piece of cake as apart from the lens being very light, it offers a very smooth focus ring that enables you to "play" with it while recording, with excellent results, aided by the in-body stabilisation.

Compared to the Panasonic kit lens 12-32mm I would say that this is a great alternative that has made me a better and less lazy photographer. I wouldn't know the qualities of version 1, but if you find a version 2, you should certainly go for it without hesitation.

The reason I'm not giving a 10 in the overall score, is due to not matching other favourite lenses of mine when it comes to connection with my mind. Lacks that special character that I personally like to see in some other Pentax primes.

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp @3.5, bokeh, price
Cons: soft wide open, colors muted
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K500

Good cheap wide-angle, quite sharp at 3.5, at 2.8 is very dreamy (good for portraits). The color rendition is a little muted (useful for raw videos). The bokeh is really nice, ergonomics are great (typical of M series lenses of Pentax). If you find it for less than 25 bucks and you want a prime wide-angle buy it.

Registered: September, 2016

Lens Review Date: October 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: my copy is very sharp, light, color rendition,handling
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3,LX,K2DMD, Stereo Super-A

I am just surprised about the qualities I read here ...
maybe my two copy´s are more than average of the line,
but as a professional photographer I can say that my 28M 2,8
is as good as the K28 3,5, better than M28 3,5 and even sharper as my K30 2,8 !
So this is a really bargain lens also often used with my Dubble-Super-A for stereo shots with Fuji Velvia ...
And while it is so small and light, you can even put it in your jeans-pocket on trips
After more than 30 Years I must say that they have not lost any fascination !
There are so much on the market so You have to test and choose a good one with no disappointment .

Lens Review Date: October 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size and Weight, Build Quality, Even Illumination
Cons: Not quite as sharp as a modern optic
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30, K-01

Nice M lens. Modern lenses have it beat for sharpness and contrast, but this 40 year old design still makes very good images. On a APS-C camera it gives exceptionally even illumination and uniform sharpness across the frame at all apertures. I've used it as an only lens when traveling. Use a longer hood than the standard for maximum flare resistance.

Registered: August, 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

One of my go-to lenses for street. Very small, very sharp even when wide-open, handles extremely well. Im not sure how well it works with APS-C cameras, since I have only used it for film, mostly B&W. Perhaps some copies are better than others, but I have nothing but praise for this lens.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Kyoto
Lens Review Date: July 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Convenient focal length, good handling, reasonable performance
Cons: Not the best 28mm out there
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: k-3

1st version, with the silver ring.

It's a lens that does its job more than tolerably well, but the results often feel a bit drab. I don't doubt the other reviews claiming this is one of the weaker K-mount 28mm lenses, but I'd still recommend it.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: July 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice colour, Contrast, Sharp at f2.8, Handling is awesome
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony NEX

Very good lens, one of my favorite. Sharpeness is very good at f2.8, contrast, bokeh, all is very very good ! On my NEX sistem very good result. Handling is best, size is very small, as i said, i recommend this lens apsolutely.

Registered: December, 2015

Lens Review Date: May 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $28.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: solid feel, sharp enough at 2.8
Cons: little so not easy to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-50

A good 28mm lens, perfect for filming (almost a 50mm on a crop sensor), and the 2.8 lets you a little room in low-light.

Not as good as the 50mm 1.7 I also own, but 28mm is a lot wider, so it has its use too.

In photography, the colors are decent, although not as good as the 50mm 1.7 I mentionned before.

I think it's a little less sharp than the 18-135mm at 28mm, but the colors are better, definitely. Idk what they did back then to their lenses, but it's way more 'truthful' (is that a word?), realistic, color-wise. Don't get me wrong though, it is sharp enough at 2.8 for portraits, and it delivers a bokeh 'not bad, not good', it's what you'd expect.

It's not the best lens I own, but I def don't regret buying one, especially for 25€ (28 USD at the moment).

The only annoying thing is that it's really small. I don't like that, I find it hard to put my hand right to use the focus ring. And that focus ring is, at least on my model, 'hard', not as smooth as I would have hoped. Not annoyingly hard, just harder than my other lenses, making it a little less handy.

My version has the little silver ring, so I'd say it's a 1st version

Registered: January, 2014
Location: London
Lens Review Date: March 30, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 5    Value: 9

I don't know why this lens is a bit overrated. I started to use it since a couple of months with my K3 as a street shooter for stills and it works perfectly!#
This pic is from last week. I passed the camera to my GF and she took this portrait.
The colors have good contrast.
If you used with your K3, pressing the green button, the camera will give your the right exposure of the situation.
at 2.8 for portraits is nicely creamy and from 3.5 is very sharp. You just have to know your camera settings to get the real potential of this lens. By the way, use a hood.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: October 5, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Small, tight and well made
Cons: optically average
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 7    Camera Used: ME Super 5Dmkiii

I'm not a fan. Its got okay sharpness, although its soft and dark in the corners on film or FF digital. The pictures just seem flat, the colours a bit drab. Which is unusual for pentax lenses in general.

I've used a bunch of Pentax 28's and this was the weakest.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!