Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses

7.9
 7.5
75 290,161 Sat April 29, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8

This popular lens came in two nearly-identical variations, depending on the year of production. The second version had the optical formula of the smc PENTAX-A version and it also looks like an early A lens (no silver decorative ring). Both optical designs have 7 lens elements in 7 groups and a 5 blade diaphragm.

The first two images depict the first version and its optical diagram, while the last image show the second version.

Data for the first version:

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
Hard case HA-90B
1977 to 1982
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm
This is the original version. The later second version has the optics of the A version and lacks the silver ring.

The second version:
SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 (ii)

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
Hard case HA-90B
1982 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm

This second version of the M 28mm has the optics of the A version and lacks the silver ring.

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 75

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp @3.5, bokeh, price
Cons: soft wide open, colors muted
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K500

Good cheap wide-angle, quite sharp at 3.5, at 2.8 is very dreamy (good for portraits). The color rendition is a little muted (useful for raw videos). The bokeh is really nice, ergonomics are great (typical of M series lenses of Pentax). If you find it for less than 25 bucks and you want a prime wide-angle buy it.

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: October 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: my copy is very sharp, light, color rendition,handling
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3,LX,K2DMD, Stereo Super-A

I am just surprised about the qualities I read here ...
maybe my two copy´s are more than average of the line,
but as a professional photographer I can say that my 28M 2,8
is as good as the K28 3,5, better than M28 3,5 and even sharper as my K30 2,8 !
So this is a really bargain lens also often used with my Dubble-Super-A for stereo shots with Fuji Velvia ...
And while it is so small and light, you can even put it in your jeans-pocket on trips
After more than 30 Years I must say that they have not lost any fascination !
There are so much on the market so You have to test and choose a good one with no disappointment .

Lens Review Date: October 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size and Weight, Build Quality, Even Illumination
Cons: Not quite as sharp as a modern optic
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30, K-01

Nice M lens. Modern lenses have it beat for sharpness and contrast, but this 40 year old design still makes very good images. On a APS-C camera it gives exceptionally even illumination and uniform sharpness across the frame at all apertures. I've used it as an only lens when traveling. Use a longer hood than the standard for maximum flare resistance.

Registered: August, 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

One of my go-to lenses for street. Very small, very sharp even when wide-open, handles extremely well. Im not sure how well it works with APS-C cameras, since I have only used it for film, mostly B&W. Perhaps some copies are better than others, but I have nothing but praise for this lens.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Kyoto
Lens Review Date: July 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Convenient focal length, good handling, reasonable performance
Cons: Not the best 28mm out there
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: k-3

1st version, with the silver ring.

It's a lens that does its job more than tolerably well, but the results often feel a bit drab. I don't doubt the other reviews claiming this is one of the weaker K-mount 28mm lenses, but I'd still recommend it.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: July 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice colour, Contrast, Sharp at f2.8, Handling is awesome
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony NEX

Very good lens, one of my favorite. Sharpeness is very good at f2.8, contrast, bokeh, all is very very good ! On my NEX sistem very good result. Handling is best, size is very small, as i said, i recommend this lens apsolutely.

Registered: December, 2015
Lens Review Date: May 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $28.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: solid feel, sharp enough at 2.8
Cons: little so not easy to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-50

A good 28mm lens, perfect for filming (almost a 50mm on a crop sensor), and the 2.8 lets you a little room in low-light.

Not as good as the 50mm 1.7 I also own, but 28mm is a lot wider, so it has its use too.

In photography, the colors are decent, although not as good as the 50mm 1.7 I mentionned before.

I think it's a little less sharp than the 18-135mm at 28mm, but the colors are better, definitely. Idk what they did back then to their lenses, but it's way more 'truthful' (is that a word?), realistic, color-wise. Don't get me wrong though, it is sharp enough at 2.8 for portraits, and it delivers a bokeh 'not bad, not good', it's what you'd expect.

It's not the best lens I own, but I def don't regret buying one, especially for 25€ (28 USD at the moment).

The only annoying thing is that it's really small. I don't like that, I find it hard to put my hand right to use the focus ring. And that focus ring is, at least on my model, 'hard', not as smooth as I would have hoped. Not annoyingly hard, just harder than my other lenses, making it a little less handy.

My version has the little silver ring, so I'd say it's a 1st version

Registered: January, 2014
Location: London
Lens Review Date: March 30, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 5    Value: 9

I don't know why this lens is a bit overrated. I started to use it since a couple of months with my K3 as a street shooter for stills and it works perfectly!#
This pic is from last week. I passed the camera to my GF and she took this portrait.
The colors have good contrast.
If you used with your K3, pressing the green button, the camera will give your the right exposure of the situation.
at 2.8 for portraits is nicely creamy and from 3.5 is very sharp. You just have to know your camera settings to get the real potential of this lens. By the way, use a hood.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: October 5, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Small, tight and well made
Cons: optically average
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 7    Camera Used: ME Super 5Dmkiii

I'm not a fan. Its got okay sharpness, although its soft and dark in the corners on film or FF digital. The pictures just seem flat, the colours a bit drab. Which is unusual for pentax lenses in general.

I've used a bunch of Pentax 28's and this was the weakest.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, price, color render, contrast, good sharpness
Cons: so so bokeh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5, A7

for me this lens has good sharpness, very good color contrast, with mediocre bokeh
it's has small size, so it's perfect for street and landscaping photography

here are the samples shoots straight out of camera:

Registered: December, 2013
Lens Review Date: September 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, sharp, good all around lens for an APS-C sensor
Cons: none for me
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K5

This lens is an excellent street photography tool: very short focus movement (but enough for fine tuning).
The sharpness is very good on my copy (first version, it's made in Japan). I rate this considering several trips where i used it almost exclusively, and it delivered me nice shots on all kind of light scenarios (daylight, sunset, night...)
The bokeh is fine for 28mm on APS-C, anyway, not disturbing for the eye...
The build quality is of course excellent, being a M lens.

I will buy it again, that's for sure

Registered: February, 2014
Location: France

Lens Review Date: January 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: color rendering
Cons: sharpness
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: kx,k01

This is a solid built lens with fit weight. The focal length is quite versatile in digital camera body. I love its color rendering, though the sharpness is not satisfying.
I really loved it, but I fialed to make a good use of it. So I sold it. I believe it would glow in someone's hand.

Registered: December, 2013
Lens Review Date: November 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Small, rendition
Cons: Soft
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: k100d

Mine came in a kit with an old Program A film camera, an A50mm f1.7 and some other stuff. In comparison to the 50mm it is really soft. It produces some nice colours but I wanted to use it for some landscapes and it wasn't up to it really, so it had to go.

Location: Shawnee, KS

Lens Review Date: October 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $39.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: size, color rendering, acceptably sharp wide open
Cons: could use a hood, not razor sharp

(I used this lens for the Single in September 2014 challenge here on Pentax Forums)

I'd been looking for an alternative to my Sigma Mini-Wide II 28/2.8. The Sigma is a nice lens, but I wasn't in love with it. I've been trying to collect as much old Pentax glass as I can, so figured 28 was a prime focal length to add to the collection. *snort* Plus, it was less than $40 and only advertised in "acceptable" condition. It's missing the little pearl, and focusing is a little stiff near infinity, but the wear is average and the glass is good.

This lens is VERY SMALL. Before this lens, the smallest lens I owned was the A50/2, but this lens is short even compared to that (although the A50/2 is still lighter weight). The focusing ring is quite narrow, especially because I was coming off the Kalimar 28-85/3.5, and I was constantly dragging my fingers over the barrel of the lens that would extend and retract during focusing (not an IF lens). This made focusing a chore at first, before I trained myself to not try to fit so many fingers on the focusing ring. The lens had no other functional surprises as a Pentax-M lens.

Performance-wise, the lens is as sharp as I could want it to be. I am not a junkie for razor sharp pictures and I don't mind overall softness. I was surprised at times at how sharp the lens could be, particularly by the end of the month when I really got good at focusing at this focal length. This lens is wider than what I typically use, so focusing on subjects in a middle distance was kind of a challenge. My eyesight is good, but not perfect and sometimes focusing at wide(r) angles can be a problem. However, using the hyperfocal distance scale, focus confirmation, and a general "too-close-too-far" method while rotating the focusing ring very slowly through the range, I came up with perfectly acceptable in-focus images and I got better at "seeing" through the lens and at the focal length.

The color was very good. Better than the colors from my M135/3.5, but not as amazing as the colors from my M35/2.8

There was a very slight amount of barrel distortion, but only noticeable when I was right on top of my subject and it was easily correctable with a minor adjustment in PP software.

I didn't notice any chromatic aberrations at all, but the lens would have benefited greatly from a hood to improve contrast. I didn't ever bother to acquire one, but I did use my hand as a shield in situations where it was necessary for the life of the image (see some of the photos from Elephant Rocks State Park).

The bokeh produced by the lens can be nice if you have sufficient distance between the subject and background, and the right amount and type of light, but this lens is not knocking anyone out of the water and this quality is hit-and-miss at best.

The Sigma focuses a little closer and I did allow myself to use a screw-on 10x macro filter on the M28/2.8 for some close-up fun. The MFD is about 10 inches, which is pretty damn close, really.

Overall, I would choose this M28/2.8 over the Sigma Mini-Wide II, so I'm glad I bought it. Even to sacrifice the A-setting of the Sigma, the colors the Pentax glass produces are more pleasant and usable, plus the Pentax is MUCH sharper at f/2.8, therefore more functional wide-open for subject isolation. Stopped down, the Sigma is sharper overall, but that's not a trait that sells a lens to me.

I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of the focal length, and you all should have one in your collection anyway. ;-) After the day is done, I still probably prefer something a little more towards the tele end, but I will keep this little guy around. The size, IQ and angle of view make it a valuable lens, in my opinion.

See my Flickr album full of images taken by this lens.

Registered: September, 2014

Lens Review Date: September 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color,easy to adjust focus,amazing sharpness,cheap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K10D K100D

IMGP1924 by panminyu819, on Flickr

IMGP1907 by panminyu819, on Flickr

IMGP1878 by panminyu819, on Flickr

IMGP1922 by panminyu819, on Flickr

IMGP1911 by panminyu819, on Flickr
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!