Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

6.9
20 94,172 Sat October 3, 2015

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8

This lens has a faster M counterpart.

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
63 x 35.5 mm
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 35mm
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 20

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: October 3, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, sharp, nice bokeh
Cons: Not really sharp wide open

I bought this lens because I wanted a smaller, cheaper version of the f/2 which I already have. I snapped it up when I saw one for a good price as they're quite rare (28mm lenses were far more common). It's not fabulously sharp wide open but it's very good, and extremely sharp by f4.5. There is some noticeable chromatic aberration wide open in out-of-focus areas.

Despite it's slight IQ faults, I really like the lens - the handling somehow seems even better than usual for an M series, making it a pleasure to use. Bokeh is far smoother than is normal for a lens of this age. Colour and contrast are good and images have a vibrancy that I love. This lens shouldn't be seen as the poor, slower cousin of the f/2 version but a lens that's a pleasure to own and use in it's own right. It's certainly superior to any of the much more common M series 28mm lenses (with the possible exception of the f/2, which I haven't used).

I'm very happy with this little lens, it has quickly become a favourite on my K3 and also on my Fuji X-M1.

A few samples:

Fountain

Autumn

IMGP5833a

IMGP5792a

Registered: August, 2014
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: September 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap, Reliable
Cons: Take a bit time to focusing
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 8    Value: 6    Camera Used: Pentax ME Super, Pentax MZ-50

This is the first lens I have.

What can I say? Hard, strong, reliable, sharp... Its SMC class. You can use this to train your "feel" with manual focusing.

Here is a picture that I take with this lens, using ME Super and BW-film Lucky SHD100.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: May 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, color saturation, compact
Cons: bokeh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5, ME Super

i have one with scratch and cleaning mark on back element, it didn't affect image quality, color saturation still excellent
here the sample image, the primate were have been in glass cage, close focused shot, taken at zoo in Jakarta, Indonesia, really like this lens
ISO 200, 1/160 sec, no retouch, resize only, autolevel only:

here are for more samples pics:

Lens Review Date: June 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $36.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Size & weight & appearance, contrast, simple construction & robust
Cons: Have to more sharp at frame area
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K10D

All about this lens is very good.
f2.8-f5.6 have to more sharp at frame area, over f8 is perfect!

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Wiltshire/Hampshire
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, compact, great handling
Cons: Not a lot
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: LX, ME, K5

I think the 5 rating really is not right, and drags the average down.

This is a hidden gem in the M-line. Sharp in the centre from wide-open, razor sharp at f/4 in the centre. Great across the frame by f/5.6 on a crop-sensor. Also a great lens on film, but takes f/8 to sharpen up across the frame.

Fantastic value, as mentioned before similar sharpness to the fast-fifties.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/226252-super-mu...ml#post2401178 for a full test including 100% samples.

Registered: April, 2013
Lens Review Date: April 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small size , optics and helicoid very good
Cons: No
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: KM , ME

I have the M-2.8/28 mm and the M-2.8/35 mm . At short distance untill 5 metre's there is not much difference between the two lenses , but if you do a landscape the M-2.8/35 mm is a real winner . At 1:5.6 even the far corners of the 35 mm negative are very sharp , so this 35 mm is very usefull lens for handheld photography with a 100 iso black and white film and a orange filter . It is a great lens .

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size, build quality, sharpness, color rendition
Cons: long focus throw
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 3    Value: 6    Camera Used: k20d

This is my best lens, i got this lens because of the "equivalent" to 50mm, but that's a load of lies

it has nothing to do with a real 50mm, even if i use my 50mm @ f2.8
i honestly dont know why people say "if you want a real 50mm on a crop sensor, you should get a 35'mil!
another think it has nothing to do with a 50mm is the focus throw, since it's a manual lens you'll be using the focus ring alot (...) in the 50mm it goes like ...

50mm /0.45 /0.5 /0.55 /0.6 /0.7 /0.85 /1 /1.2 /1.6 /2 /3 /5 /15 /*infinity
35mm /0.3 /0.35 /0.4 /0.5 /0.6 /0.8 /1 /1.3 /2 /4.5 /*infinity
you can see it skips from 4.5 to infinity unlike a real 50mm.
so if you want to get a 35mm for the "50mm feel" do not get this or any other 35mm lens

i got it as an extra when i went to buy my smc-m 50mm f1.4

The sir who sold me the lens was needing money and he kindly sold me the lens for 25eur along with the 50mm for 50eur
i really didn't want this lens, i just wanted a faster 50mm as i was getting tired of my smc-a 50mm f2.0
(i do ALOT of street night photography)

but in a sense i thank those people that said to get a 35mm to replace the fullframe 50mm, if it weren't for them i would have never came across this beauty, i use this lens more in daylight than i use anyother lens

from f5.6 to f8 this lens is so amazing, i never seen anything like it, even the 50mm doesn't give me such good pictures. this lens came riddled with the aperture blades problem, but nothing to hard to fix
came with original box and lens covers.
i honestly can't imagine how a famous FA limited or any STAR lens work since this is the best thing i've ever seen
(no pentax users around here to meet and test lens on my camera, im all alone eh!)

picture of the lens in its original leather case (click for fullsize)

picture of lens case top cover, reads SMC PENTAX 2.8/35 (click for fullsize)

One of the many beautiful photographs i did with this lens (click for fullsize)

posted here in the pet gallery, the bokeh is only usuable up close, but you dont want people shot's at this distance, they look weird and bloated in comparsion to the 50 mil

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Lyon area

Lens Review Date: November 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Small, good FL both for 24x36 and APS-C
Cons: Flares a bit
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: MX, LX, K-5

I got this lens as part of a lot. My copy is in good condition, except for a dent in the filter thread.
This is a nice performer, and I say that after having sold my DA 35mm Limited. Compared to it, of course:
- less contrast, more prone to flare
- less sharp when focusing on closer subjects
- no macro ability (!)
But, when focused on infinity or hyperfocal, this little cheapie holds its own very well! In practice I have a hard time seeing any difference at all in these conditions.
To sum things up, this is THE lens to get if you're on a budget and want a 30-35mm prime for general purposes.

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Melbs
Lens Review Date: September 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: that magical fov in crop land
Cons: zilch

LOVE IT!!!

I kind of collected this just because I had the 28 M, and a 50 M at either end, turns out the (on a crop) the 50 feels to portraity, and the 28 a little fickle to focus. (Slowly developing a lens collecting persuasion here..)

Can't explain it, why the 28mm feels fickle that is, but in regards for general use, the 35mm just feels good.

I suppose it's having started with a 50mm on film, the 35mm covers the same amount of area so here I am in familiar territory

Can't fault it wide open, out of focus areas are clean, its a ripper

Registered: September, 2011
Lens Review Date: June 27, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrasty, great on film
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-r

Optically identically to the acclaimed A35/2.8. The difference in review score here may just be a matter of sample variations.

I must have a pretty darn good copy of the lens. It's contrasty wide open with excellent sharpness across the frame. Comparable to M50 1.7 in terms of sharpness. It's close to a normal lens, a little bit on the long side, when used on APS-C. Mounted on a film camera, it becomes a wide angle lens. I prefer the FoV it delivers on film more than APS-C. Something to consider if you are also a film shooter.

I've not seen this lens on sale often. The M28s are a lot more common in the used market.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Lens Review Date: July 23, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Small sharp and the right focal length
Cons: None really

This is another one of Pentax's excellent 35mm offerings. On digital it has an appealing focal length, and withthe coatings and general design excels at sharp images wide open and 1 stop down we are into ultra-sharp. Contrast is very good and the size is terrific....very small.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Fowlmere, UK
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: light, small, versatile, attractive FoV
Cons: not too sharp, some distortion

I used this lens for over 20 years as my main optics. I also used the 2/85mm, but for specific purposes, and while I had the 4/200mm, I rarely used that focal length (all on film).
The field of view is attractive (on film or FF), and the lens is very versatile. I did not have the money for the 1.4 or even 2.0/35mm at the time, although I later acquired the latter as well. Nonetheless, it served its purpose, but in retrospect I can see that it did not shine as some Pentax lenses do. It certainly doesn’t have the wow factor. Not in sharpness, colour rendition, or boqeh.
Mechanically, it has been flawless. Very sturdy and unlikely to give up any time soon, such is the built quality. Yet I would search for another 35mm were I in the market for one today. I'm not, as I now have the Pentax 645-A 3.5/35mm, which is lightyears ahead.

Location: Minahasa, North Celebes (Sulawesi)
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open. Colors are great. Easy to focus
Cons: Not so easy to find

This is a fun lens to use because it is easy to focus compared to my SMC-M 50mm f/1.4, but still gives quite the same quality. Colors are rich and deep. I can get close enough to capture detail with this lens, a sharp performer too, even wide open. Stepped down it gets sharper. Bokeh is pleasing.

Here's a taste:

Registered: August, 2009
Lens Review Date: November 9, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, short minimum focus distance
Cons: large in comparison to the M40, mechanism vulnerable to sticking
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Excellent sharpness, comparable to the 1.7/50mm, slightly less sharp.

On film, the FOV is perfect, and more normal to me than the 50, with a real feel of depth to photos, as if you are there in the scene again. Great for portraits, provided you like faces which are made rounder...photos of my baby are funky with this lens. Starts to be possible to rely upon depth of field and hyper focal focusing.

Practically though, I find that I am more likely to reach for a 28 than the 35 if I want something wider than the 50. Given the 50's are capable of such outstanding bokeh, the 35/2.8 doesn't see that much use. Story might be different on digital I guess...I am using film.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Baltimore
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $52.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: color, sharpness, easy focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I own a Pentax SMC-M 50 1.7 and a 28 2.8 and this 35 2.8 is just as sharp as either wide open. I am really surprised this lens is only rated 7ish.

It seems to focus easier than either of the others using manual focus on a DSLR. This, IMHO is the i perfect walking around lens...
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!