Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

7.2
24 141,156 Tue September 1, 2020

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8

This lens has a faster M counterpart.

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
63 x 35.5 mm
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:2.8 35mm
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-24 of 24

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Salzburg
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: light, small, versatile, attractive FoV
Cons: not too sharp, some distortion

I used this lens for over 20 years as my main optics. I also used the 2/85mm, but for specific purposes, and while I had the 4/200mm, I rarely used that focal length (all on film).
The field of view is attractive (on film or FF), and the lens is very versatile. I did not have the money for the 1.4 or even 2.0/35mm at the time, although I later acquired the latter as well. Nonetheless, it served its purpose, but in retrospect I can see that it did not shine as some Pentax lenses do. It certainly doesn’t have the wow factor. Not in sharpness, colour rendition, or boqeh.
Mechanically, it has been flawless. Very sturdy and unlikely to give up any time soon, such is the built quality. Yet I would search for another 35mm were I in the market for one today. I'm not, as I now have the Pentax 645-A 3.5/35mm, which is lightyears ahead.

Location: Minahasa, North Celebes (Sulawesi)
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open. Colors are great. Easy to focus
Cons: Not so easy to find

This is a fun lens to use because it is easy to focus compared to my SMC-M 50mm f/1.4, but still gives quite the same quality. Colors are rich and deep. I can get close enough to capture detail with this lens, a sharp performer too, even wide open. Stepped down it gets sharper. Bokeh is pleasing.

Here's a taste:

Registered: August, 2009
Lens Review Date: November 9, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, short minimum focus distance
Cons: large in comparison to the M40, mechanism vulnerable to sticking
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Excellent sharpness, comparable to the 1.7/50mm, slightly less sharp.

On film, the FOV is perfect, and more normal to me than the 50, with a real feel of depth to photos, as if you are there in the scene again. Great for portraits, provided you like faces which are made rounder...photos of my baby are funky with this lens. Starts to be possible to rely upon depth of field and hyper focal focusing.

Practically though, I find that I am more likely to reach for a 28 than the 35 if I want something wider than the 50. Given the 50's are capable of such outstanding bokeh, the 35/2.8 doesn't see that much use. Story might be different on digital I guess...I am using film.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Baltimore
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $52.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: color, sharpness, easy focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I own a Pentax SMC-M 50 1.7 and a 28 2.8 and this 35 2.8 is just as sharp as either wide open. I am really surprised this lens is only rated 7ish.

It seems to focus easier than either of the others using manual focus on a DSLR. This, IMHO is the i perfect walking around lens...

Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Lens Review Date: October 27, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Optical quality, built
Cons: Nothing for me...

I just want to point out that while many rave about its A version and pay 2-3 times more for that the two lenses are actually the same lens design only in different bodies. It seems that Pentax only renewed its physical design but left everything untouched.

So if you do not mind the lack of A setting and you can live without the plastic exterior of the P-A 2.8/35mm then get this one instead. It is as good optically as the A version but better built. I have both so believe me.
The "A" might have had a touch of upgrade coating-wise but it is not obvious on the pictures taken (at least on film).

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Singapore
Lens Review Date: May 7, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp w/ good bokeh, value for money
Cons: Shutter blades get sticky easily due to the lubricant "leak" on to the blades holder

This is one of those forgotten lenses - a great performer but seldom got mentioned or recommended anywhere. I've used all 35mm prime lenses by Pentax except the 35/1.4, this M35/2.8 can easily perform as well as any other 35mm lenses, other than the K35/3.5 which is really a great performer.

If you happen to get a good copy (no oily sticky blade), and if you are confident w/ using full manual lenses, just enjoying using it don't need to look for another better one.

Lens Review Date: April 18, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $76.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good build quality. It has the "M" feel. 49mm Filter
Cons: It's a "M" short for manual everything.

I have only had the lens a few weeks and have been using it on my K100D. The pictures have been sharp with good color saturation. It makes a nice standard lens for the digital camera. My opinion is that it's sharper and has better contrast then Pentax's DA 18-55mm. I would say it is on par with my M-28mm f3.5 for overall picture quality. This is being said without doing a formal test.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Lens Review Date: September 10, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: small, relatively fast
Cons: nothing outstanding

M35/2.8 is one of those quiet performers that nobody seems to rave about.

It is a solid performer. It is sharp enough wide open and very sharp by f4. Very good contrast.

That said, it doesn't seem to have any point that "stands out", everything seems to be in the good to very-good area but no one single outstanding point.

So if you are looking for a good solid, no non-sense performer, I can recommend M35/2.8.

By the way I have only used this lens on dSLR.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: North Idaho
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $109.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: inexpensive and plentiful

I purchased this lens rated in LN- condition from KEH in January of 2005. At the time, in the late '70s and early '80s, it was the 'standard' wide angle lens that people purchased if they didn't have the budget to get the more expensive 28/2.8 wide angle lens. As such, they are plentiful and readily available and are fairly inexpensive on the used market.

Construction quality is outstanding, as are all M series lenses. Optical quality is certainly quite acceptable.

I haven't used this lens much because most of my shooting opportunities and interests tend more to the telephoto than wide-angle. In the subsequent time frame, I also purchased the FA35/2.0, so have little need for the M35/2.8 these days.

It is a good little lens, and perfectly acceptable for those on a limited budget. You won't be shortchanged using the M35 rather than the newer versions. Your only limitation is that you will have to use the lens in manual exposure mode (or Av if shooting at f/2.8). And of course, you will have to manual focus. Just like the good old days.

Recommended. Only given a 5 rating because while it isn't really outstanding, neither is it inadequate in any way. It is a 'good' lens, nothing more, nothing less.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!