Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

205 561,609 Wed May 3, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 205

Registered: October, 2011
Lens Review Date: May 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely pin sharp
Cons: Non
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Came as part of a bundle so can't say how much it cost. Just trying out as a portrait lens and it's magnificent, beating my other two 50mm Pentax lenses easily, and they aren't bad.

Registered: May, 2017
Lens Review Date: May 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality, price
Cons: wish it could focus closer
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony Nex 6

Everyone should own a copy of this lens. It can be had for bargain prices. In my opinion it beats the f1.4 version on most fronts too.

Has excellent sharpness when focussed correctly. Also very high build quality but then all these Asahi Pentax lenses are well made. The SMC coating gives excellent colours shooting with digital.

Wish it could focus a bit closer to the subject but you can't have it all.

One slight niggle in that I had to re-calibrate mine for infinity but then this isn't the lenses fault as I'm using an adapter. Was easily done anyway.

Registered: March, 2017
Lens Review Date: May 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical quality, sharpness, easy to focus, high quality build
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon 600D

A very good lens for astrophoto. 5 plates composed with software. Made with the Canon 600D (unmodified) on the Star Adventurer with a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens. Exposures of 30 seconds, ISO 800.

Registered: July, 2015
Lens Review Date: April 4, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I bought this lens used for about Eur 20 something 3 years ago. Absolutely worth each cent and actually I would like to have more copies. I was searching a prime lens that gave interesting result wide open in term of bokeh and depth of field and this little gem just do that perfectly. I shoot 99% manually so it suits just very fine.
Here's a gallery of my flickr page of pictures I've taken with this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanorugolo/albums/72157651869061007

Registered: June, 2016
Lens Review Date: March 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, great IQ, sharp in center wide open, tiny
Cons: ... hee
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: PENTAX K-3

I got this lens with a Pentax K2, a Vivitar S1 28-105 2.8/4 and a TC x2 macro focusing vivitar at 50 (55$), all in mint condition, so it was very cheap.

I allready got a SMC F50mm 1.7, so I wanted to compare the two lens. I known they have the same optical design but i wanted to know if the coating was different. So after testeing theses two lenses, I didn't notice any differences.

I have noticed CA in hard condition (wide open and back light huge constrast), but after I tried the F version in same condition, I observed the same coulour fringing.

So in conclusion same IQ as the A,F,FA version, full manual and tiny price.

Registered: October, 2016
Lens Review Date: November 26, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $42.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pentax quality
Cons: Not
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon 6D, Pentax K200D

I burning to buy a Pentax-M 50 / 1.7, but when viewing photos, noticed the similarity pattern to my Takumar SMS 55 / 1.8.
And the optic schemes these lenses are the same. What anybody can say about this.
And some photos of my Takumar SMS 55 / 1.8 on near wide open

Registered: November, 2016
Lens Review Date: November 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, build quality, handling, price
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax Kx

With such a price tag there is nothing negative of this lens. I bought it in mint condition for 65$ and even that was overpaid. I love its way of rendering color, much more "classic" than modern and expensive digital lens. Build quality and handling are just great. One more thing to add is its look. My camera is a white Pentax Kx which looks like a toy, but when mounting this lens it becomes much more balance and has a "professional" look.

Work great even from 1.7. Focus ring and aperture ring are a joy to use. This is my very first lens after the kit lens, and I have to admit it spoiled me so much that I have been disappointed with a lot of other lens I purchased or used after that (not as sharp, not the same color rendering, or price/performance ratio is not that high)

Registered: October, 2015

Lens Review Date: October 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great build quality, price is just right
Cons: None. Yay!
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Nikon D90

This lens is an amazing steal-of-a-deal at around $45! If you find one at a good price, pick it up. I use this lens with my Nikon D90 using one of the many Pentax PK to (insert camera brand here) adapters you can get. I mainly use this lens for macro (because that's the only thing my adapter will let me do), but I'm sure this lens would be great for other things as well. I got this lens from a Pentax ME Super that my grandfather gave me, so it's pretty special to me. Anyway...

Build Quality:

This lens is built great. Full-metal construction, metal mount. Focus ring feels very smooth, and aperture ring feels solid and clicks into place with no play. Lens is very heavy for it's size. The only thing that rattles is the little arm that the camera would use to open up the diaphragm when you took the picture, which is relatively normal. Mine has gotten quite a few bumps and dings, and the only thing that happens when it gets bumped is a little bit of scratching to the lens body. Filter thread is metal.

Optics:

The glass in this lens is great. When you tap the front element, it feels like real glass and not just some cheap plastic-glass like other lenses. It has 6 elements in 5 groups. Use f/5.6 if you can, it is sharpest.

Handling:

This lens just feels "right" in the hand. You can easily distinguish the aperture ring from the focus ring, and the focus ring and aperture ring aren't too big, nor too small for my small hands.

The filter thread accepts 49mm filters. This lens' minimum aperture is f/22, and the maximum is f/1.7. The lens mount is a Pentax K mount. It focuses up to 0.45 meters (1.55 feet). This lens is almost a pancake lens.

Conclusion:
This lens is a fantastic deal. It's built like a tank, it feels "right", it's useful, it's readily available, and it has great image quality.

Registered: October, 2016

Lens Review Date: October 14, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, all metal and glass, discreetly elegant retro design, smooth handling, very sharp, lots of light
Cons: Avoid shooting at 1.7, soft
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K10D

Absolutely fantastic gem of lens. Mine is very old and relatively worn out, bought it from a mysterious vendor face to face; yet the lens never betrayed me. My favourite walk around lens among all I have on my K10D. The f/1.7 provides a lot of light, yet I would not recommend to shoot at 1.7, as the lens is soft there. Usually I shoot at f/2.8 or 4, at full manual mode metering with the green Pentax button. Fantastic experience, that I would not replace with a digital auto lens. The focus ring makes a long turn, which makes it fit for precise focusing. The aperture ring makes hard, noticeable clicks, and is very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone.

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: October 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Accurate metering on digital bodies
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

This lens is crazy sharp. Only drawback is the somewhat awkward focal length on crop sensor cameras. Antenna enlargement at 100% magnification. Pic taken at F8.

Registered: August, 2014
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, build quality, my copy looked like it was new
Cons: Contrast, color rendering, sharpness wide open
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 6    Camera Used: K-5

I've had this lens for a couple of months but I decided to sell it again because of a couple of reasons.
  • The contrast is quite bad with this lens, your pictures will need more post processing if you're wanting to correct for that.
  • The color rendering of this lens is quite bad. You can't make up for this by simply increasing the saturation or vibrance. A lot of other pentax M and K lenses have a nice color rendering, but this one doesn't.
I bought the A1.7 50mm as my cousin recommended me that lens (I hope to write a review of that lens soon). You might be inclined to think that the lens is basically the same except for the A functionality, but it's not. At least in my experience the A edition is much sharper wide open and the color rendering and contrast is better to.

My copy of this lens looked like it was brand new, I never had a vintage lens that looked this pristine. So that made it a little harder for me to sell this lens again.

Would I recomend this lens? I can't say I would recommend against this lens. It's not a bad lens, but there are (in my opinion) better alternatives (e.g. 55mm 1.8 (K series) or 50mm 1.7 A series).

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Kyoto
Lens Review Date: July 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, low distortion, fast aperture, good handling
Cons: uninteresting APS-C crop focal length
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

A no-brainer lens from a cost/performance aspect, the main question for crop-format users is "what are you going to use the 75mm effective focal length for exactly?" I find the 55mm variants of the standard primes make better "85mm replacements" than the 50mm lenses, but if that's not an issue for you then I can't think of any other objections.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: July 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrast, Colour, Handling, Very Small Lens
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 1 year

This is must have lens, best two lens 50mm f1.7-f1.8 for me Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 and Zuiko 50mm f1.8.

Registered: November, 2014

Lens Review Date: May 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, sharpness, colors, size, price
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5ii, P30, SFXn

I would say, that this is the lens every pentaxian should own at some point. I bought it just to try it and it's definately a keeper. Lens produces very sharp pictures, with legendary Pentax colors. It's joy to use as it has very smooth focus ring and precise aperture ring - typical for good M lenses.

A tad soft at 1.7, but usable from 2.8 onwards. Best performance from 5.6 to 11. The second shot shows how well made is this lens. High quality detailing visible after many years of use.

Lens Review Date: April 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality in compact body, great handling and build quality
Cons: Some softness on corners at infinity until f5.6
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7

This lens lives on my a7. I am a 50mm focal length fan, and have tried a lot of lenses, including Zeiss, and I must say I was very surprised with the amazingly beatiful pictures this little gem gives me mounted on my a7.

Seriously, this one is the best 50mm equivalent I have had. Small, very solid and well built, beatiful design, smooth focus with satisfying aperture clics, it is a pure joy to use. And image quality is just beautiful. Sharp, can be really sharp, renders colors in a wonderful way, with deep reds and amazing green tones, smooth and natural skin tones. Microcontrast seems to be very high due to SMC coatings, no much inferior to Zeiss in my opinion. Slight vignetting at F1.7, almost no distortion. A great quality is the smooth and incredibily beautiful bokeh this jewel has. It shines on portraits on FF at F1.7, close up pictures of flowers can be breathtaking. The only negative thing may be the slight CA and purple fringing at f1.7, wich dissapears at f2. Also borders are slighty soafter than centre until f5.6, but not really objectionable until A4 enlargings. Surprisingly, landscape photographs are not bad fully open at normal and small print sizes. At f8 you get amazing landscape shots, plenty of sharpness and with natural, warm colors. Distortion is negligible and this lens fights very well against flare, but I always use a hood anyways. It vignettes at F1.7, but in a very elegant and beautifil, classic way. I like how it does so much so I rarely correct this.

If you own a A7 camera, dont spend money on expensive Zeiss Loxia lenses, this one is great and a perfect companion for an a7 series camera, looks balanced as it was designed for the a7. I like it so much so I got another one and this will be my main lens.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!