Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

231 740,748 Mon December 23, 2019

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 231

Registered: September, 2017
Location: Medellín
Lens Review Date: December 23, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small, nice handling.
Cons: Six aperture blades.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Film cameras, K-5

I got one to see what all the hype was about. It's that good!
Can't go wrong with this one. I specially like the handling. If it had seven or eight aperture blades it would be the perfect fast fifty.

Registered: July, 2016
Location: Patrick Co. Virginia
Lens Review Date: November 11, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $27.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive compared to the f1.4, good low light, sharp
Cons: not wysiwyg for aps-c cameras, too narrow fov for milkyway
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K50,k5

I sought a 50mm after reading lots of legendary things about them, only to flind the f1.4 artificially expensive compared to other models and "settled" for this one when I found one at a low bid. One thing I learned from the experience is that 50mm on an aps-c required me to take a few steps back down the trail quite a bit. When I saw a shot it would frame too close every time. This is because the k50's crop sensor, while displaying subjects in the same focal length at film or "full frame" sensors, crops the image FOV by 1.5x, leaving you a bit to close. I've since found the 35mm works better for such walkabouts. I now somehow have three of these things and this one has been the workhorse of the lot, working mostly as a very nice portrait and closeup lens. In Astrophotography it works well for shooting a wide region of sky without the "all sky" or fisheye effect on really wide lenses.
Overall it's a nice little manual prime with nothing to gripe about, but buyers should be aware that they are getting a defacto fov of a 70mm f1.7

Registered: October, 2017
Lens Review Date: November 10, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, low-light use, build quality
Cons: Bokeh not outstanding
Sharpness: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K1

This is an outstanding sharp lens, even fully open.
If you like a manual focus 50 mm for low-light street photography, on film or digital, it would be near to perfect for this purpose.

Lightweight, excellent handling and build quality.
Bokeh: the only drawback in my opinion, but we must be conscious that these optics were designed more than 30 years ago, hence there nobody did worry about a "bokeh"..

Easy to use on K1. I have configured the green button on my K1 as "tv shift".
To get the correct exposure, set Camera on M, focus, press the green button to measure and save exposition value and shoot.
See the two pics. Both are JPEG taken at 400 iso at f1.7 today afternoon. (foggy and cloud covered in Luxembourg ardennes.)

If you have the opportunity, buy one. You will not be disappointed.

Registered: May, 2019
Location: Agadir city -Morocco
Lens Review Date: November 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: it's a glorious lens I still use it, it makes an impressive sharpness and bokeh
Cons: absence (of course) of autofocus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K20D

it's a glorious goal I still use it, it makes an impressive sharpness and bokeh, considering its price it is a good to practice without AF

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 22, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent low light results
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

Just got this lens after getting a K-50 (first DSLR). I have tested low light and close shots with excellent results. I will try bokeh, outdoor performance, etc later.

- Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
- Pentax K-50 DSLR (16.3mp)
- mounted on tripod
- aperture priority
- ISO 100
- white balance set to AWB
- focus peaking enabled on camera
- using manual focus assist
- 2-second timer

Right-click the following images and click "Open Image in New Tab", then zoom in.

All jpegs right from the my Pentax K-50.

F5.6, 1/4 second exposure:

These shots were taken in a living room at night with just one soft incandescent lamp turned on across the room.

I was very surprised at how well it performs in low light. The pics appear bright, but the room is pretty dim by comparison. Amazing how clear, bright, and rich in color this photo came out.

F1.7, 10 second exposure:

Here are a few more pics I just took, with focus centered on the Rhythm / Treble switch:

F1.7, 1/10 second exposure:

F5.6, 7/10 second exposure:

F22, 10 second exposure:

Registered: February, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and easy to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on because people don't seem to know that an old lens on a digital camera will have it's output influenced by the onboard software, sensor and processor of the camera, so you are not actually rating just the lens.

On film cameras (no software or hardware) this remains a lovely all-rounder lens. It's very good at f5.6 to f11 across most of the photos it takes and it never gets worse than good at the extremes of aperture. Don't bother to waste cash on the ridiculously expensive f1.4 or f1.2 versions unless you take photos in very low light, as this lens is perfectly fine for 95% of the photos most people take.

Make sure the one you buy is internally clean and has no dirt or fungus in it before you buy it. Otherwise, you can't go wrong unless you are a seriously ridiculous pickettypixel person who blows every image up 100% and then scans over every pixel for no reason at all.

Registered: August, 2017
Lens Review Date: October 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Well build,
Cons: fully manual, not sharpest lens among other 50s
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 9    Camera Used: Programm Super A, K1

Used this on an analogue camera and on my K1. For film cameras absolutely ok. On my K1 - nothing special. Its an old optic, so dont expect too much. There are much more better alternatives: e.g. Pentax 1.4 or some M42 gems like Zeiss Pancolar 1.8 (more sharp, better bokeh...)
The modern versions are superior too, like the FA 50mm (macro).
If you have a small budget, try it.
Of course I read the other reviews here. Maybe I have a bad copy. Anyway, please ask yourself: how much Imagequality is available for 40,-$ ? For this price the lense is recommended. But in comparison to other lenses it is not.
Finally I have to say, that this glas is absolutely overrated in this forum.

Registered: November, 2018
Lens Review Date: October 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: build, contrast, size, focus feel
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: September 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and lightweight, high contrast, flare control
Cons: Handling and feel, lots of coma at bright apertures
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: MX, X-T3

I found this lens to be very well rounded and even a great performer on digital. It has high contrast and good central sharpness already wide open, but a high amount of aberrations prevents the mid-frame and edges from being tack-sharp until about f/4.5. After that everything is excellent and I feel that is where this lens really shines. Flare control is also superb, you'll have a hard time finding another old fast 50 from any other brand that can match it. I'm not a huge fan of the handling, like everyone else I lament the loss of the Takumar and 1st gen K-mount build and handling, but compared to modern lenses and even the A type lenses the handling is excellent.

Location: Utrecht
Lens Review Date: August 9, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, smooth aperture, sharp, contrasty, cheep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: ME super to K1ii

Works fine on everything, snappy aperture, decent sharp wide open, super sharp stopped down, only a very little CA wide open in out of focus areas. I bought this ten years ago as a ME-super set (camera + M2.8/28 + M1.7/50 + M135/3.5) for € 45,- . Lenses and camera were like new, camera was hardly used. I often mount this on my K-01, but also on Full Frame this is a stellar perfomer. Everyone with a K-mount camera should have this lens, they are often offered for little. Pentax made millions of it....

See also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/390869-som...-compared.html

Pictures taken with K-01, (almost) wide open.

Original test report 1978

Registered: March, 2019
Lens Review Date: June 2, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size and Weight, build quality, feel when using, optical performace
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a6000

This is hands down one of my favourite vintage lenses in the 50 something millimetre focal range. And with 12 others in this range from a multitude of manufacturers I have plenty to compare it to. I love the bomb proof feel of quality from the Pentax m lenses. It looks fantastic and is super easy to use. It is very easy to get focus on this lens using focus peaking. I really like how it renders colours and its sharpness. I got my copy with front and rear caps in great overall condition for what I consider an excellent price considering the quality of the images it produces. Highly recommended.

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh, size, price
Cons: None to be reasonable
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

For the price this is just amazing. I've also used it reversed and it does brilliantly there too.

What I love about Pentax is being able to use old lenses like this. It's also incredible to see how well they handle digital full frame cameras.

For me I dont mind using manual focus and manual exposure. It's really easy.

Registered: October, 2018
Lens Review Date: October 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $49.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, well built, great learning experience
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-70

My first manual prime! It's been a very fun learning experience (that still continues), trying to learn the techniques to get the most out of this lens on a modern camera. Faults in my photos are due to lack of skill on my part, not a failure inherent in the lens itself. At the prices these can be found for, every photographer should have one to play (learn) with, at least once.

Quick and dirty, handheld, no PP:

100% crop

Quick and dirty, handheld, no PP:

100% crop

Registered: September, 2018
Location: Nottingham

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Looks like a "old school" vintage lens, great to handle
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A6000

I have had the lens for a month and it is attached to a Sony A6000 mirrorless camera via an adapter.

I love the "old school" feel to the lens and the manual focussing and turning the aperture ring

The Sony has a "peaking feature" to aid manual focus.

I have a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens for my Canon and a Sony 50mm F1.8 for my Sony, so I have some good glass to compare the Pentax too.

I have had some good results and I am very pleased with the lens.

I always think f5.6 is a sweet spot for all my 50mm lenses and the Pentax seems to follow this rule too. The bokeh is pleasing when wide open.

I am a street photographer at heart and manual focussing means you have to work a little slower than you would like, but that is a small price to pay for the excellent results.

I hope the links below work OK as I am trying to embed them from flickr

All my images are from Sony RAW files, edited in Rawtherapee and GIMP (I am an open source photographer)

A photo of me took by my wife

Vintage Lens (Pentax) Selfie by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

My Dog at somewhere around f2.8

Ruby at 50mm wide open by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

100 Strangers street Photography (f5.6)

100 Strangers : Round 2 : No. 145 : Molly and Caroline by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

Singer at Nottingham Green Festival (f5.6)

Molly on the Bandstand by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Slovakia
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, bokeh, atmosphere, 3D, size,price.....
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I love this lens. Allways with me in. Make pictures in old fashion(good) look. Beautifull bokeh.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!