Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

215 649,136 Tue July 17, 2018

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 215

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Lens Review Date: July 17, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colors, flare resistance, wonderful rendering
Cons: None, really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: P30T, K20D, K10D, K-r, K-S1, K-50

I have to give this lens a 10. I have had two copies and both of them were super sharp wide open. I thought I had a great copy but when I got a 2nd one it was just as good - and both are slightly better, especially wide open, than the A 50 1.7 that I used to have, and the F 50 1.7 that I still have (I keep the F, of course, because it is very handy to have an AF nifty fifty).
Everything about this lens is great. it's small and almost a pancake, and the positives in the top of the review tell the story.
I have a metal hood on mine but I feel it's more for looks than anything else - it's pretty flare resistant even without it.
I don't remember ever seeing aberrations that needed correction.
The bokeh might not be quite as good as the 50 1.4 models but it's still good.
It even works really great with an inverter ring for about 1:1 macro. Other 50-ish lenses I tested for this purpose (Rikenon 50 1.4, K 55 f2) were not nearly as good.

Very sharp in the in-focus area wide open:
Sunflower M 50 1.7 @1.7 by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Stop it down a bit and it's perfection:
Leaves on the Ground by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Entrance Road in Fall 2015-50mm by ChristianRock, on Flickr

Registered: August, 2013
Location: Guadeloupe (french caribean island)
Lens Review Date: July 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: light, lovely, light, filter, colours, focus, brightness
Cons: don't know, old coating perhaps ?
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9

I bought two of these pretty little stones years ago for not much money ( 50 f1,7 et 50 f2) to use with a K10D, who went out of order suddenly ( sob...). I kept them with dust in a cupboard, and decided to sell all and said goodbye to Pentax. But, I don't know why, i read all advices you 've posted and admired some pictures, and wanted once more to use my lenses on a Lumix (K7).
I founded so pleasant, so nice, to shoot photos and videos that I don't want to sell my parcels anymore.

Registered: October, 2015
Lens Review Date: March 22, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, color rendition, cheap, build quality, micro-contrast
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5IIs

This is a wonderful lens. The color saturation and rendition and also depth rendering is amazing which gives the images out of this lens a 3D look. You can find them for real cheap. I got mine in almost brand new condition. At 1.7 the images are a tiny bit soft but stop down to f2 and you will get amazing photos.
Don't hesitate, if you find one buy one, even if you have a 50mm. It is THAT good.

Registered: March, 2018

Lens Review Date: March 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: sharpness
Cons: handling
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 10    Camera Used: SONY a7 42MP

I tested the lens on the SONY a7 42MP
sharpness in the center of the frame - f1,7 - 4 , f2,8 - 7 , f4 - 8 , f5,6 - 9 ,f8 - 8
sharpness at the edge of the frame - f1,7 - 2 , f2,8 - 3 , f4 - 4 , f5,6 - 5 , f8 - 7
contrast - 9
reflections - 6

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Istanbul

Lens Review Date: February 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very ver sharp and excellent bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

[SIZE="2"]
Water Pipeby Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Hookah by Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Kalyan by Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Smoker by Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Smoke Face by Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Start the Fire by Yemen Ozan Gündoğan, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2017

Lens Review Date: December 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness & Bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Found my copy of this lens in a rural thrift shop for $5!!
This was my first "M" series lens so I wasn't sure what to expect, I was in for a nice surprise!
My copy function is very smoothly on both focus and aperture adjustments.
The lens is small and with an adaptor is a nice fit on my A6000.
The images the lens produces are amazing in sharpness. I also love the bokeh you can get in certain circumstances. especially at f2 (see last image).
I can't say enough good things about this lens. It's a keeper!

Registered: May, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 27, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap nifty fifty
Cons: not sharp
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3-II

Such a unique lens especially for the price! An absolute must own considering how cheap you can find it online. Its not that sharp wide open but I definitely wasnt expecting it to be tack sharp. Beautiful bokeh and a must buy

Registered: November, 2017

Lens Review Date: November 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, aperture, size, sharpness, built quality, bokeh, can be used both on FF and APS cameras
Cons: No AF^ , no I'm kidding, for me nothing is wrong with this lens
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1

I paid $40 for mine shipping included and I don't regret it, I neededa first lens to my K1 and it was obvious to me to mount this 50 1.7 as 1st lens.

Small,cheap,sharp, nice bokeh,I don't find cons against this lens, it's a must have lens which can cover most situations except animal shootings.

I deeply recommend this lens for sure.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Százhalombatta, Hungary

Lens Review Date: August 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $39.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, compactness, handling
Cons: Blue fringing @ f/1.7, sometimes it could be a tad bit longer physically
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: MX, K10D

After successfully destroying my previous fifty, the Chinon 50mm f/1.4 (by taking it apart), I needed to get a new fifty. Something sharp and cheap. For a while I didn't want to go below the f/1.4 range, but I didn't have the money. I saw this cheap online and decided to go for it. I just got my Pentax MX recently before buying this. It is said that the f/1.7 version is by far the sharpest of the M series. It is also very compact. This has proven to be quite true! It's so razor sharp, that it cuts the eye!
I use it mainly on my Pentax MX, but I occasionally also use it on my K10D. It has very nice, punchy colors with excellent contrast. Digital images made with this hardly need any post-processing. Wide-open it produces blue fringing, which isn't quite nice. It doesn't matter with B&W photos, but on color it is better avoided by stopping down a little... say... f/2-2.8.
The only downside I could mention is that sometimes it feels a little-bit too compact. Also, I don't really like the hexagonial BOKEH. I'd prefer it to be eight bladed.

My lens on my Pentax MX w/ a lens hood

AgfaPhoto APX 100

Digital:

Pentax K10D

Registered: April, 2017

Lens Review Date: June 21, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.33 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small
Cons: Soft wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 1    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Sony A7RII

Great little lens, soft at 1.7, once stopped down to 2.8 it perfect
Little bit of fringing

Registered: October, 2011

Lens Review Date: May 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely pin sharp
Cons: Non
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Came as part of a bundle so can't say how much it cost. Just trying out as a portrait lens and it's magnificent, beating my other two 50mm Pentax lenses easily, and they aren't bad.

Registered: May, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality, price
Cons: wish it could focus closer
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony Nex 6

Everyone should own a copy of this lens. It can be had for bargain prices. In my opinion it beats the f1.4 version on most fronts too.

Has excellent sharpness when focussed correctly. Also very high build quality but then all these Asahi Pentax lenses are well made. The SMC coating gives excellent colours shooting with digital.

Wish it could focus a bit closer to the subject but you can't have it all.

One slight niggle in that I had to re-calibrate mine for infinity but then this isn't the lenses fault as I'm using an adapter. Was easily done anyway.

Registered: March, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical quality, sharpness, easy to focus, high quality build
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon 600D

A very good lens for astrophoto. 5 plates composed with software. Made with the Canon 600D (unmodified) on the Star Adventurer with a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens. Exposures of 30 seconds, ISO 800.

Registered: July, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 4, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I bought this lens used for about Eur 20 something 3 years ago. Absolutely worth each cent and actually I would like to have more copies. I was searching a prime lens that gave interesting result wide open in term of bokeh and depth of field and this little gem just do that perfectly. I shoot 99% manually so it suits just very fine.
Here's a gallery of my flickr page of pictures I've taken with this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanorugolo/albums/72157651869061007

Registered: June, 2016

Lens Review Date: March 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, great IQ, sharp in center wide open, tiny
Cons: ... hee
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: PENTAX K-3

I got this lens with a Pentax K2, a Vivitar S1 28-105 2.8/4 and a TC x2 macro focusing vivitar at 50 € (55$), all in mint condition, so it was very cheap.

I allready got a SMC F50mm 1.7, so I wanted to compare the two lens. I known they have the same optical design but i wanted to know if the coating was different. So after testeing theses two lenses, I didn't notice any differences.

I have noticed CA in hard condition (wide open and back light huge constrast), but after I tried the F version in same condition, I observed the same coulour fringing.

So in conclusion same IQ as the A,F,FA version, full manual and tiny price.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!