Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

231 745,422 Mon December 23, 2019

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 226-231 of 231

Lens Review Date: January 27, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very fast lens, incredible sharp, light , elegant...
Cons: After use this lens, look to the Kit lens make me feel sick...

This is a great, cheap lens. If you can dont let it go. Take one for you.

Registered: December, 2006
Location: Holland
Lens Review Date: January 24, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: I had buy this lens a 14 days ago and I try to use the lens in M mode at my K100D, so to see he gives sharp,nice colors photos
Cons: it cost more time to make a photo, then in auto

When you learn how to use this lens in the M mode, I think its costs more time to take a photo, then you can make a photo at auto, but you can changing in F; settings. And at last you can get a better photo. (Non working link removed)
WW

Location: Folsom, CA

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice focusing ring, great colors
Cons: None so far

I love this lens. This was the first upgrade I bought after the kit lens. Takes great pictures, very sharp, great color. I had a hard time with manual focus, just because its harder with dSLRs to see in the viewfinder. I have since purchased an F50/1.7, so this has been relegated to being attached to my Extension tubes for Macro work, where the focusing ring is a pleasure to use over any of the Autofocus lenses. This lens is probably the best deal on the market right now - not as desired as the 1.4 lenses, but to my eye just as good!

Location: North Idaho

Lens Review Date: January 8, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: outstanding optical quality, outstanding build quality

In the late 70's, this was the lens that came with your film SLR body when you couldn't afford the f/1:1.4 version of the 50mm. This was the case with me. I was a newlywed and didn't have much expendable income. This lens is so good, that I still have it to this day, and even use it on occasion even though I have 'better and faster' 50mm lenses, (FA50/1.4 and A50/1.2).

Like all M series lenses, it is of all-metal construction and has a firm, positive focus ring on it. It is fairly compact, and without checking the specs, I'd venture to say that it is the smallest, in physical size, of any Pentax 50mm produced. Even slightly smaller than the 2.0 lens.

If you have need of a manual focus 50mm lens, you can certainly do worse with other lenses, and rarely better.

Highly Recommended. Given an 8 rating only because I reserve 9 and 10 ratings for Limited, "*", and other outstanding Pentax lenses.

Registered: January, 2007
Location: St-Albert, Alberta, Canada

Lens Review Date: January 8, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good and clear optics

This lens has been part of my kit for 14 years. Used indoor and outdoor. Sharp images and contrast with great DOF. Used it for night exposures which has shown great color correction even after 5 minutes exposures at f1.7.

Location: Lancaster, PA.

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $28.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A Pentax Prime Lens with multiple uses
Cons: There are no negative aspects I can find

As one of Pentax's prime lens family this lens is very versatile. It can be used for many different applications. Used indoors as a portrait lens it renders crisp clear shots with a great DOF. It is a magnificent out door lens and again very crisp and clear for a walk about lens. Added to 2x or 3x Adapter it also makes a fine Macro lens.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!