Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

207 591,997 Thu August 24, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 207

Registered: November, 2014

Lens Review Date: May 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, sharpness, colors, size, price
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5ii, P30, SFXn

I would say, that this is the lens every pentaxian should own at some point. I bought it just to try it and it's definately a keeper. Lens produces very sharp pictures, with legendary Pentax colors. It's joy to use as it has very smooth focus ring and precise aperture ring - typical for good M lenses.

A tad soft at 1.7, but usable from 2.8 onwards. Best performance from 5.6 to 11. The second shot shows how well made is this lens. High quality detailing visible after many years of use.

Lens Review Date: April 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality in compact body, great handling and build quality
Cons: Some softness on corners at infinity until f5.6
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7

This lens lives on my a7. I am a 50mm focal length fan, and have tried a lot of lenses, including Zeiss, and I must say I was very surprised with the amazingly beatiful pictures this little gem gives me mounted on my a7.

Seriously, this one is the best 50mm equivalent I have had. Small, very solid and well built, beatiful design, smooth focus with satisfying aperture clics, it is a pure joy to use. And image quality is just beautiful. Sharp, can be really sharp, renders colors in a wonderful way, with deep reds and amazing green tones, smooth and natural skin tones. Microcontrast seems to be very high due to SMC coatings, no much inferior to Zeiss in my opinion. Slight vignetting at F1.7, almost no distortion. A great quality is the smooth and incredibily beautiful bokeh this jewel has. It shines on portraits on FF at F1.7, close up pictures of flowers can be breathtaking. The only negative thing may be the slight CA and purple fringing at f1.7, wich dissapears at f2. Also borders are slighty soafter than centre until f5.6, but not really objectionable until A4 enlargings. Surprisingly, landscape photographs are not bad fully open at normal and small print sizes. At f8 you get amazing landscape shots, plenty of sharpness and with natural, warm colors. Distortion is negligible and this lens fights very well against flare, but I always use a hood anyways. It vignettes at F1.7, but in a very elegant and beautifil, classic way. I like how it does so much so I rarely correct this.

If you own a A7 camera, dont spend money on expensive Zeiss Loxia lenses, this one is great and a perfect companion for an a7 series camera, looks balanced as it was designed for the a7. I like it so much so I got another one and this will be my main lens.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance

Lens Review Date: March 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness on all apertures, coating, built quality
Cons: sorry, i didn`t find any
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

The Pentax M 1,7/50mm is an ultra sharp "normal". even at wide open, it is sharper than the most standard lenses of the beginning 80`s and there were enough of them. Further there is no optical difference between my M 1,4/50mm and this lens, but the 1,7 is smarter and light weighted. It is ideal for using it with the Sony A7. I`m very compliant with trimming and I often enlarge details in my pics, so that I can replace a 85mm or even a 100mm on a short trip, so far I shoot with low sensibility.
All in all a well built allrounder - and its affordable. With the Sony A7, the powerful partner for short trips in stead of a zoom. Digital FF recommended.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: February 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible clarity, color rendition, price, size
Cons: SOME (not much) CA, corner sharpness
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5, Sony a7

This is such an incredible lens. I have been a professional portrait photographer for going on 7 years now, and this was my first lens. This is still my primary lens, it has awesome rendering. Attatched are examples taken on the Sony a7 full frame all images shot wide open.
Emily by NickBrunerPhotography, on Flickr

Joanna by NickBrunerPhotography, on Flickr

It is a great lens, the only thing that is preventing me from giving it a 10 is the slight appearance of CA, and the resolution of modern lenses outmatches it. This doesn't necessarily mean its worth it to spend 1k+ for a modern lens, but some modern lenses are better in general.

Registered: February, 2016

Lens Review Date: February 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, smooth, bokeh, no CA, handling, fast
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-x

My best lens so far, really sharp at all aperatures, very pleasing bokeh, Multi Coating, smooth focus and aperature ring. I would recommend this lens to all for it's performance and really low price

Registered: March, 2013

Lens Review Date: February 10, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, cheap, beautiful, small
Cons: manual focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-x

A lot of bang for the buck ($30 and Pentax P30t as a bonus). It's a joy to shoot with this lens, although it's not easy to focus properly using default Pentax K-x viewfinder.

Location: Sfantu Gheorghe, Romania

Lens Review Date: February 9, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, color, bokeh, 3d effect

Well, what can be said that it didn't mentioned before. You can't praise enough this lens! I have to say this is one of my best lenses: it has the best anti flare resistance - you can take a photograph at two a clock in the afternoon, no problem! Between f2.8 - f.16 it has that 3D effect and it is so sharp that you don't need anything else! Bokeh wide open, wow, you can't ask more!

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Washington, DC

Lens Review Date: December 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: small, fast, sharp, great colors
Cons: manual

Wow! Very sharp lens, great colors. I would call this "limited-like", its such a great lens. Although the lens is fully manual, its not all that bad because the manual focus ring is silky smooth, with over 180 degrees of rotation. The only issue i've got with it is the aperture ring has started to wobble the slightest bit. But besides that, great metal, solid build. The bang-for-your-buck not a limited limited lens!

My go-to lens IF the subject doesn't require a wider focal length, and IF i've got time to set up my shot. If not... autofocus lens, here I come!

Click on the images for larger sizes

Bokeh:

Starbursts:

Some more:

Registered: November, 2015

Lens Review Date: November 10, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $46.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, build quality, cheap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-30

Crop, 100%

Location: Lower Saxony

Lens Review Date: November 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, colours, contrast, easy to focus
Cons: -
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K 30, K-5 IIs

This is my favorite lens - not only of more than two dozens of primes from 20mm to 500mm but of all, AF lenses included.
Very sharp at f/2.8, this is my usually f-stop, f/2.0 at darker situations, f/5.6 with good light and for best sharpness, f/1.7 nearly never.
Fast and exact to focus, i am a little more satisfied with this than with my other normal primes ,as there are Pentax A 1.7, M 1.4, K 1.4, K 1.8 55mm and M 2.8 40mm.
There is a small advance to the Ricoh Rikenon 2.0 50mm, which is more detailed at infinity stopped down and nearly lacks of chromatical aberrations, but weaker up to f/4.0.
I tend to buy a second M 1.7 50mm for being sure to have a substitution if there ever will happen any total loss to mine...

Some ooc jpg;
First tests a year ago with K 30 b&w picture style,
f/5.6

Tae-Kwon-Dobi, sharp lens for sharp teeth,
f/2.8

and K-5 IIs b&w picture style + "high contrast" digital filter,
f/2.8

Location: Storrs, Connecticut

Lens Review Date: October 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, tiny, great colors, inexpensive, tough as a boot
Cons: Focus ring is a bit tricky at first
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

I bought this lens in a package on eBay, including an ME Super body, a Tokina SZ 70-210 F3.5, a Vivitar 550MD flash, cases, caps and appropriate paperwork, plus various small accessories, all in like-new condition--except for the leather, fitted Pentax case which was remarkably shabby. It all came in a very nice canvas and leather photo case. Cost: $42 shipped. I couldn't believe I got it all for that price.

The bokeh is spectacular! It feels natural in my hands. Time and experience will tell about the ultimate sharpness, etc., but I learned photography on a Spotmatic with a Super Tak 50/f4. I stripped the film winder on the Spotmatic but still own that f/4 lens. We'll see how this faster lens stacks up to my old f/4. I'm presently on a kick to buy "fast fifties". What's not to like about them?

Registered: January, 2015

Lens Review Date: October 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $53.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build quality, sharp wide open, colours
Cons: -
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K500

As most of the photography articles say 50mm is beginner's 1st prime, this is my 1st prime. And I am thrilled after seeing the quality of images obtained through this lens. Sharpness at wide open, beautiful colour retention, awesome bokeh and that all metallic contruction makes this lens a must have vintage lens.

Registered: October, 2015
Location: California

Lens Review Date: October 4, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size,weight and image quality
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A6000

Having recently decided to move over to prime lenses I used a couple of Canon EF lenses but digging out my old K1000 reminded me of the compact size of the Pentax primes of my youth. I had an old kit 28mm (not the best version) so decided to get a nifty fifty to complement it.

I found a nice looking sample of the 1.7 on eBay and thus started my descent/ascent into legacy lens addiction

Here is a quick sample of what I've done with it so. Just love the IQ, ease of handling and just the sheer feel of the lens. It feels like a proper piece of kit.

And a later second sample

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: September 25, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, silky smooth focus throw, big hole for light, small and discrete
Cons: none really, could i blame the lens for me taking 5 years to try a little manual prime?

Sweet little lens. Why did I not know about the benefits sooner?

Makes my already great feeling camera feel even more like a 'camera'.

One or two primes will be on the market soon I want more M lens!

Will try and post some example shots soon.

Registered: September, 2015

Lens Review Date: September 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, lightweight, no aberrations, great build quality
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax ist DS, modified Canon AstroDSLR

I use this excellent prime lens in my astrophoto wide field setup, stars are pinpoint and CA is ok also on borders.
In normal daylight use, is one of the best normal lens I've seen (sharpness, bokeh, color and contrast... all very good), optics
are very similar (or possibly the very same) of my beloved SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7, which is superior only in the obvious
autofocusing ability! (by the way, SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 is the best Pentax lens I have).

Absolutely recommended, you can have the best quality 50mm at a cheap price! (thank you Pentax for bayonet compatibility!).

"Antares Rho Ophiuchi region" SMC Pentax-M 50 f1.7 full open, astromod EOS 350d @ ISO 800, 5x60'', barn door tracker mount;
from West MacDonnell Ranges NP, Northern Territory - Australia (August 2012). (cropped from the original picture)
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!