Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

205 560,327 Wed May 3, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 205

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Connecticut

Lens Review Date: July 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ridiculously Sharp, Great Bokeh, Fabulous Construction
Cons: This is subjective, but having to manually focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20, K3

What can I say other than this lens has phenomenal optical quality - contrast, color, bokeh, and sharpness. I took this photo at F/4 walking through my neighborhood at dusk on a K20D, and I'll let the photo speak for itself:
July 4th Daylilies by Sean Sweeney, on Flickr

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Sandnes

Lens Review Date: June 11, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, build quality, cheap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

ISO100 1/400 F1.7

ISO400 1/250 F5.6

ISO100 1/500 F8.0

Registered: April, 2013
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and cheap
Cons: difficult to mount and unmount
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5 IIS

This lens is very good for its value. I got it for 25USD at a second hand store. It is sharp and it has nice bokeh. The only problem is that the fix area of the lens is small, so when you mount/unmount it, you have to use the aperture ring. And sometimes I am scared of breaking it. But fortunately, pentax lenses are solid.

Registered: January, 2015
Location: Alliance, Ohio
Lens Review Date: February 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice build quality, inexpensive
Cons: Doesn't make me coffee
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

Registered: May, 2013

Lens Review Date: January 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Does it need an adapter to fit on K30? Which one?

Location: Houston

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small, very sharp, cheap, solid metal construction
Cons: no auto-focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k5

The first manual lens I acquired for my new Pentax K5 at the time for a very cheap price. I was impressed with how sharp the images were and the pleasing background it creates. The lack of auto focus did not bother me that much as I don't mind finding the sweet spot myself. The fact that this lens is old yet maintains its awesome qualities should give it bonus points.

White Hibiscus in Spring by michaelkchenry, on Flickr

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Wisconsin

Lens Review Date: December 7, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Value, Overall IQ
Cons: Some CA at 1.7
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

My first and favorite Pentax lens. I bought this lens at a pawnshop for a steal because they didn't know what gem they were selling. This lens has amazing IQ and I use this lens whenever I can. I would definitely recommend this lens to anyone, particularly people who have a small budget but want good IQ. I have found that the sweet spot my lens to be at 5.6, but it is also very sharp at other apertures. Some pics take with this lens, post-processing was used.

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Grenoble
Lens Review Date: December 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and nice
Sharpness: 10    Camera Used: K500

Bought this after studying the lens reviews. Must say I am pleased with my purchase.

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ShaaaarrrrrP!
Cons: No Auto Focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I recently decided that I was using my 'couple years old' SMC Pentax-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED a little too much. Searched Ebay over and over and the very BEST "old glass" I could find was something I already had tucked away in a box of old camera stuff ... THIS SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm .. (ASAHI Opt. Co. Japan) ..... is a the real deal .. while I have a lot of faith in Pentax gear and I'm sure that their more 'recent' lighter brighter digital lenses are at least as good .. this little truely pocket sized lens is fantastic .. with the manual focus assist features of the K-30 this lens is easy enough to use and really hot in LOW light .. I've got nothing to equal it .. and wanted to jump in here and say so ... these are still fairly common on E-bay and (if you are careful) you can get a superb copy fairly easily. Well worth having in your kit if you don't mind manual focus.

Lens Review Date: November 30, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp at f 5,6,very nice bokeh, excellent colors
Cons: some few CA's wider open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-x,k200

this 6/5 lens construction is very similar to the old 1,8/55 Takumar.

an excellent lens, fitted for 1,7 AF-converter, too

opitimal lens for portraits, close-ups etc.

Compared with the actual lenses of other brands at this low price a very fine lens: its value is very high.

use it for astro-shootings, too. f4-5,6 without optical defaults.

very much joy with this lens

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Near Berlin

Lens Review Date: November 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: center sharpness/contrast, colors, built quality, compactness, (solid) weight, price
Cons: only 6 aperture blades, spherical and chromatic aberration (particularly for larger openings)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: ME Super, various adapted APS-C cameras

Own definition of points - using the above scaling: 5 = still good, 10 = excellent, 7-8 = good to very good
(10 = "100%" for technical aspects: such a immaculate thing does not exist)

I like taking photos
something stop down to obtain a certain depth of field and sharpness of the optics.
Under these circumstances and to give a rough assessment:
How will the M 1.7/50mm behave compare to the more expensive and faster M 1.4/50mm?
For this a few test shots at f/2.8 - I think the pictures speak for themselves...

Out of center overview / f/2.8 / APS-C /
Standart-OOC JPEG file, scaled down on 19% of 5184 x 3456 image size:

Out of center /
100% crop / M 1.7/50mm / f/2.8:

Out of center
/ 100% crop / M 1.4/50mm / f/2.8:

Corner overview /
f/2.8 / APS-C / Standart-OOC JPEG file, scaled down on 19% of 5184 x 3456 image size:

Corner
/ 100% crop / M 1.7/50mm / f/2.8:

Corner
/ 100% crop / M 1.4/50mm / f/2.8:

(the enlargements shows, that the M 1.7 has a slightly longer focal length)

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Plaisir

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3, K10D, K1000

Amazing lense !
I don't have others words than PERFECT

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $42.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp with little distortion
Cons: None (for a manual)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

This lens is an amazing value. It is cheap (many were made), fast and very sharp above f/2. As others mentioned, this is a "10" for sharpness above f/4. For those looking for a cheap portrait lens (roughly a 75mm equivalent), this is a great way to go. Distortion is almost non-existent. I also played around with it for macro work, using a reversing ring once and extension rings another time. Both weren't as good as a dedicated macro, but still produced more than acceptable results with this lens. In fact, this can be a substitute for a macro lens depending upon your needs. Just buy some cheap extension tubes, use live focus on a tripod, and you are good to go provided you stop down a bit. It is really that sharp. I keep this in the bag for whenever I need a really fast lens. It is a keeper, which is more than I can say for some glass costing 10x-20x the price.

Registered: November, 2011
Location: Chicago

Lens Review Date: October 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Killer IQ, Handling, Ridiculously Affordable
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K30

Durning a conversation about Leica's 50mm 0.95, and its $10,000 price tag, I instantly went to the other end of the cost spectrum and compared my photographs made with my $55, 50mm 1.7 to the sample images from the Leica. There were subtle differences, the Leica signature, if you will. Especially when shot wide open. Wide open is kind of my thing, so that's important to me. But, were those differences worth $9,945? Nope.

At some point we have to finally start calling this little piece of legacy Pentax glass, amazing.

Now, I'm not crazy... Leica glass is to die for, and I totally drool over the thought of shooting at f/0.95. But I own 4 50s: Porst 55mm f/1.2, Pentax FA 50 f/1.4, Pentax A 50 f/1.4, and the f/1.7... which simply lives on my camera.

The Porst f/1.2, my next favorite 50, is a full on artist's brush. Monet in your lens... dreamscape. Its occasionally over the top and unpredictable, as well. Shooting the 1.7 @ 1.7 gives me just enough detail in the foreground and then takes its time getting to the Monet part of things. Slightly less dramatic/saturated than the Porst.

Sharpness? Stop this lens down and you'll cut your fingers @f/5.6. By f/8, its lethal and still somehow, smooth. Not that jagged, pixelated sharpness, but a natural edge clarity. Never overdone.

I can't say enough adout this lens, except that I can't believe its still so affordable. I guess f/1.7 just doesn't sound sexy... The librarian vs the supermodels. I've always dated the librarian.

Finally, please, please, please stop listing the fact that its a manual lens or that it is a bit soft wide open as a con. Aside from low light functionality, many of us shoot wide open for the softness, the shallow DOF and abundance of painted Bokeh. And regarding the manual thing... how should I say this? YOU BOUGHT A MANUAL LENS.

Peace!

Registered: September, 2014
Lens Review Date: October 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: all
Cons: none with this price!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

I bought this len from a local store in Japan after read almost reviews from google.I totally satisfy with this len.Amazing sharpness and color.Though dont use any manual focus accessory,it still not too hard to get that lovely sharpness.This len isnt rare or expensive like K 28mm,K 30mm so i think if you can find one,just buy it.Im sure you will happy!
High performance at low cost!

Pros:
-Image quality
-Fast enough
-Build

Cons:
-MF(but... without MF,it will not be Asahi anymore)
-Unreadable aperture.Aperture value will not exist in Exif and "F - - " will show endlessly on both screens!(I think because of there is no any electric feature so the camera cant read the aperture value and leave it for user to decide)

Here are some of my first shoots:

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!