Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

207 586,290 Thu August 24, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 207

Registered: October, 2013

Lens Review Date: July 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very small and light and good multi coated/ contrast
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax MX, Sony NEX-5, Olympus E-PL2

Love the lens! It's small and light and very sharp as everyone has pointed out.

Photo taken with Sony NEX-5 and Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens at widest aperture f/1.7.

Crop of the eyes. Even at f1.7, it is very sharp.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: July 22, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent optics and well built.
Cons: Handling not as good as the bigger K Series 50/55 lenses.
Camera Used: Pentax film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD, ME, MX, LX, Super A, P50)

The M50/1.7 was released in 1977 and was a direct “miniaturized” replacement for the K55/1.8. The M50/1.7 was in production until 1984, when it was replaced by the A50/1.7.

Optics:
Excellent optics and the M50/1.7 is sharpest at f/8, decent bokeh as well.

Focal Length:
On film this is a normal/standard lens and your go to prime focal length. On APS-C you get the FOV of what the FA77/1.8 is like on film, interesting but less useful. It’s too bad that Pentax cut the traditional 55mm FL from its M Series lineup, as it was always nice to have a choice of 50mm or 55mm for a normal/standard lens.

Build:
Excellent all metal build in a smaller size & weight than its K Series predecessors.

Usage/Handling:
The only quibble I have with the M50/1.7 is the handling. As with a lot of M Series lenses/film bodies there is always a compromise in miniaturization. I find the M50/1.7 is a little too compact for my big hands, compared to the bigger K Series normal/standard prime lenses. As I only use this lens on film cameras, this FL is the one you interact with the most and handling is a big part of the usage of any manual focusing normal/standard prime lens. I tend to use hyperfocal focusing a lot with the M50/1.7 to compensate. The M50/1.7 also has a good, but smallish distance scale.

There were four lens hoods that were available for the M50/1.7, 49mm square plastic, round plastic, round metal and round rubber. These hoods will also work on the other M, A, F & FA normal/standard 49mm filter thread primes. .

Speed:
Normally f/1.7 would be considered a fast maximum aperture, but as this is the third slowest normal/standard prime at the time of the M Series release, f1.7 is just adequate. However the faster K50/1.2 & M50/1.4 were higher priced, so more people ended up with the M50/1.7 as their go to prime than the other two. There was also an even slower M50/2 in the M Series line-up, but it was only available as a kit lens for the K1000 camera.

The M50/1.7 vs my other similar FL normal/standard primes:
I also own the K55/1.8 and both lenses are vary similar, however I prefer the K55/1.8 as it’s a bit bigger and handles better. The K55/1.8 just feels “right” in my hands and is a pleasure to focus. I find the K55/1.8 has slightly better optics/bokeh as well.

Compared to the A50/1.7, the M50/1.7 is way better built than that flimsy plastic lens. However I like the optics a bit better on the A50/1.7, but would still choose the M50/1.7 over it.

Summary:
The M50/1.7 is an excellent normal/standard lens on FF and a good choice in any kit. Not quite a “Classic” like the K55/1.8 but pretty close, just wish it was a bit bigger!

Price:
I bought a Pentax LX and M50/1.7 as a kit, so I don’t have a price for just the lens.

Sample shots taken with the M50/1.7. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives. First shot was taken in Ontario, the second in Vancouver, Canada.

Camera: ME Film: **Expired** Kodak Gold 200 ISO: 160

Camera: P50 Film: Adox Color Implosion ISO: 100
***Note this “experimental” film is intentionally grainy with a blue cast***

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Connecticut

Lens Review Date: July 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ridiculously Sharp, Great Bokeh, Fabulous Construction
Cons: This is subjective, but having to manually focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20, K3

What can I say other than this lens has phenomenal optical quality - contrast, color, bokeh, and sharpness. I took this photo at F/4 walking through my neighborhood at dusk on a K20D, and I'll let the photo speak for itself:
July 4th Daylilies by Sean Sweeney, on Flickr

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Sandnes

Lens Review Date: June 11, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, build quality, cheap
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

ISO100 1/400 F1.7

ISO400 1/250 F5.6

ISO100 1/500 F8.0

Registered: April, 2013

Lens Review Date: May 1, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and cheap
Cons: difficult to mount and unmount
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5 IIS

This lens is very good for its value. I got it for 25USD at a second hand store. It is sharp and it has nice bokeh. The only problem is that the fix area of the lens is small, so when you mount/unmount it, you have to use the aperture ring. And sometimes I am scared of breaking it. But fortunately, pentax lenses are solid.

Registered: January, 2015
Location: Alliance, Ohio

Lens Review Date: February 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, nice build quality, inexpensive
Cons: Doesn't make me coffee
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

Registered: May, 2013

Lens Review Date: January 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Does it need an adapter to fit on K30? Which one?

Location: Houston

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small, very sharp, cheap, solid metal construction
Cons: no auto-focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k5

The first manual lens I acquired for my new Pentax K5 at the time for a very cheap price. I was impressed with how sharp the images were and the pleasing background it creates. The lack of auto focus did not bother me that much as I don't mind finding the sweet spot myself. The fact that this lens is old yet maintains its awesome qualities should give it bonus points.

White Hibiscus in Spring by michaelkchenry, on Flickr

Registered: December, 2014
Location: Wisconsin

Lens Review Date: December 7, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Value, Overall IQ
Cons: Some CA at 1.7
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

My first and favorite Pentax lens. I bought this lens at a pawnshop for a steal because they didn't know what gem they were selling. This lens has amazing IQ and I use this lens whenever I can. I would definitely recommend this lens to anyone, particularly people who have a small budget but want good IQ. I have found that the sweet spot my lens to be at 5.6, but it is also very sharp at other apertures. Some pics take with this lens, post-processing was used.

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Grenoble

Lens Review Date: December 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and nice
Sharpness: 10    Camera Used: K500

Bought this after studying the lens reviews. Must say I am pleased with my purchase.

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ShaaaarrrrrP!
Cons: No Auto Focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I recently decided that I was using my 'couple years old' SMC Pentax-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED a little too much. Searched Ebay over and over and the very BEST "old glass" I could find was something I already had tucked away in a box of old camera stuff ... THIS SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm .. (ASAHI Opt. Co. Japan) ..... is a the real deal .. while I have a lot of faith in Pentax gear and I'm sure that their more 'recent' lighter brighter digital lenses are at least as good .. this little truely pocket sized lens is fantastic .. with the manual focus assist features of the K-30 this lens is easy enough to use and really hot in LOW light .. I've got nothing to equal it .. and wanted to jump in here and say so ... these are still fairly common on E-bay and (if you are careful) you can get a superb copy fairly easily. Well worth having in your kit if you don't mind manual focus.

Lens Review Date: November 30, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp at f 5,6,very nice bokeh, excellent colors
Cons: some few CA's wider open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-x,k200

this 6/5 lens construction is very similar to the old 1,8/55 Takumar.

an excellent lens, fitted for 1,7 AF-converter, too

opitimal lens for portraits, close-ups etc.

Compared with the actual lenses of other brands at this low price a very fine lens: its value is very high.

use it for astro-shootings, too. f4-5,6 without optical defaults.

very much joy with this lens

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Near Berlin

Lens Review Date: November 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: center sharpness/contrast, colors, built quality, compactness, (solid) weight, price
Cons: only 6 aperture blades, spherical and chromatic aberration (particularly for larger openings)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: ME Super, various adapted APS-C cameras

Own definition of points - using the above scaling: 5 = still good, 10 = excellent, 7-8 = good to very good
(10 = "100%" for technical aspects: such a immaculate thing does not exist)

I like taking photos
something stop down to obtain a certain depth of field and sharpness of the optics.
Under these circumstances and to give a rough assessment:
How will the M 1.7/50mm behave compare to the more expensive and faster M 1.4/50mm?
For this a few test shots at f/2.8 - I think the pictures speak for themselves...

Out of center overview / f/2.8 / APS-C /
Standart-OOC JPEG file, scaled down on 19% of 5184 x 3456 image size:

Out of center /
100% crop / M 1.7/50mm / f/2.8:

Out of center
/ 100% crop / M 1.4/50mm / f/2.8:

Corner overview /
f/2.8 / APS-C / Standart-OOC JPEG file, scaled down on 19% of 5184 x 3456 image size:

Corner
/ 100% crop / M 1.7/50mm / f/2.8:

Corner
/ 100% crop / M 1.4/50mm / f/2.8:

(the enlargements shows, that the M 1.7 has a slightly longer focal length)

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Plaisir

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3, K10D, K1000

Amazing lense !
I don't have others words than PERFECT

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $42.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp with little distortion
Cons: None (for a manual)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

This lens is an amazing value. It is cheap (many were made), fast and very sharp above f/2. As others mentioned, this is a "10" for sharpness above f/4. For those looking for a cheap portrait lens (roughly a 75mm equivalent), this is a great way to go. Distortion is almost non-existent. I also played around with it for macro work, using a reversing ring once and extension rings another time. Both weren't as good as a dedicated macro, but still produced more than acceptable results with this lens. In fact, this can be a substitute for a macro lens depending upon your needs. Just buy some cheap extension tubes, use live focus on a tripod, and you are good to go provided you stop down a bit. It is really that sharp. I keep this in the bag for whenever I need a really fast lens. It is a keeper, which is more than I can say for some glass costing 10x-20x the price.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!