Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

206 566,789 Wed June 21, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 106-120 of 206

Registered: December, 2011
Lens Review Date: January 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $46.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great bokeh, short, grippy focus ring, durable
Cons: hard to get the focus right, more of a viewfinder problem though
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Great lens! Yes, you lose out on some automatic features, but for the price and amazing fstop range you can't beat it for $46.
Here is a sample image,

Registered: December, 2011

Lens Review Date: December 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfection
Cons: it is what it is...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I've used this lens for 35 years and it's beyond reasonable criticism.

One point most have missed is that that the viewfinder on the K5 is dazzlingly bright with such a big aperture - how anyone can have any problems focusing with it is beyond me. I've 3 now - just came with old Pentax I picked up for show but one will last a lifetime. Add an M28/2.8 for a lovely pairing.

The other thing is metering. People bemoan the lack of true auto metering, but a simply press on the green button sets exposure instantly. It becomes intuitive very quickly, and once set (this is in manual) you can stop-count shutter speeds etc - it helps you learn about the camera, but it really isn't a problem for anything except real-high speed photography like sports, where you'd probably be using a zoom anyway. All Pentax users should have one - at the price there is no excuse not to. Then once you've got used to it go get some more fixed primes for pence - the 28, a 135 etc.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: The Black Hills
Lens Review Date: December 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $28.55 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice bokeh, price.
Cons: None at this price point!!
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I am late to using this lens. What has not been said? The fact that this was the low end standard lens in it's day, and how it holds up now says allot about the quality of Pentax.

Registered: November, 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: contrast, size, feel
Cons: sharpness if you're no good at focusing like me
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I only shoot film on a Pentax ME Super. I like this lens a lot. I don't like the bokeh as much as my Super Tak 50/1.4.

Actually I just looked at a bunch of pics I took with this lens, and the bokeh is actually pretty magical sometimes. But i think color and contrast are the things I come to this lens for.

It seems to me that all normal lenses are sharp stopped down to f/8, and I really like this lens stopped down. I like it a lot wide open too, though.

Location: St. John's, NL
Lens Review Date: October 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality
Cons: For what it is? None
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

A singlularly fantastic lens. I have used this lens now for 4 months and it rarely disappoints.

The focus feel is excellent and with a little practice getting the focus to "pop" in the viewfinder is pretty easy. Catch in focus works equally well. The aperture ring has a nice clean snap to it. The lens is also great mounted on top of a set of extension tubes and makes a nice macro shooter.

The images are sharp with plenty of contrast and a slightly warm colour cast thats well suited to portraits. I use this lens extensively to take pictures of my family and its great for indoor flashless photography. At f1.7 and ISO 1600 my k-x pratically sees in the dark with this lens.

Flare and PF are pretty difficult to induce.

Just one more in the chorus singing the praise of this lens!

Registered: October, 2009
Location: Montrouge, France
Lens Review Date: October 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, aperture, build quality, price
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is my best Pentax lens. Better than the A 50 f:1,4 or K 50 f:1,2 I own and far most cheaper (and better than the A 50 f:1,7 too). One of the 1st old Pentax lenses I started to purchase for my K20D a few years ago but never equaled yet (and I own a large range of old Pentax lenses). A lens universally recognized by Pentax amateurs. A very beautiful bokeh when I compare it to my Leica M lenses. And, of course, far better than the kit lenses. With an APSC DLSR, it becomes a 75 mm, a perfect lens for portrait. So you don't need to use the green button on A setting: you just use it at 1,7 to obtain a beautiful Bokeh.
I won't bore you with sharpness or pixel count: what is important in a lens is the feeling you have with its special rendering. One can recognize a leica shot from others. I won't say the same for this one but you certainly can feel its quality among all your Pentax lenses (particularly vs. FA, DA, ... lenses).
So, that's why I put a 10. I should not because no lens really deserve a 10 (some Leica lenses I own are obviously better) if 10 is considered as perfection. But it deserve a rate close to 10 in the Pentax range. So, let's say that I rate this lens using the practices of this forum.
I'll put a few photos made with this lens during the night. No flash, no photo editing, sometimes weird adjustments (6400 ISO, B & W selected, red filter, ...).

Night impressionist portrait
(Non working link removed)

Palm trees in the night of Barcelona

Jamon Bellota

Siesta

A church in Prague winter

Enjoy

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, sharp, great colors, BUILT LIKE A TANK!!, FAST!, great DOF, did i mention sharp?
Cons: Manual focus may be a problem for some (it can be very fun too, not that fun when you miss the focus), not super sharp wide open, but very usable
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

GREAT LENS!
I bought it only 15 days after i got the camera (actually i bought the camera 24 days ago, so im pretty new with it :P), but this lens left my camera at MAX 4 times after that. It's very good to use. You manual focus it, so you really feel like you are actually DOING something. Of course, i use the camera on Manual, so im actually doing something everytime, but when manual focusing its great.
Also, put this lens at 5.6 and you'll be amazed. SUPER SUPER sharp. But using it at f1.7 is great, it defocus everything so nicely.
Some pics below :

Hope that'll help someone.
PS : More than a year after buying it, and already with my K-30, i just updated my review.
Bokeh can get pretty nervous with this lens, but i'm a tad bit crazy, sometimes i think its really nice to have that kind of background defocus.
Manual focus can make you mad a lot of times, and you can't use this lens in really low light...kind of kills the 1.7 point
Overall a great lens for the price

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Bangalore
Lens Review Date: October 20, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, color, contrast, fast, light, bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10

This was the first lens I bought even before I bought my first DSLR K-x. Strange but true. Once I made up my mind to go with Pentax, I was searching for lenses and unknowingly I bought this lens over ebay. When I got my DSLR, at first I was not comfortable with all manual and stopped down metering.

Over time I started liking it and now I love it as one of the most valuable things in my bag
This is an amazing piece of glass that delivers excellent images, but you should be good at manual focusing. And I have seen people producing amazing videos with this lens (check on You Tube)

At 50$ it delivers superb images with sharpness, color and contrast and excellent bokeh.

If you find one, grab it.

Cheers
Guna

Registered: December, 2010
Location: 11432
Lens Review Date: September 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very light, cheap, very bright
Cons: nope.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I bough it only $1 at ebay^^ It's good for beginners who want to learn MF. LIke MF more than AF^^

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: September 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, sharpness, 1.7
Cons: MF, bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Brilliant little lens. It really can live up with my 100DFA WR macro and 70 limited, it's that good for a fraction of the price. OK, the colors are not as sparkling as with the newer, digital era lenses. An f/1.7 gives you a shallow DOF if you need (portraits), but the bokeh is not as nice round as the other lenses I mentioned. However, because of its sharpness I often prefer this lens over the 1.4 50 FA.
It's compact and light, feels tough. Great.
The price: I paid 50 euros (75 USD nowadays...) for the 28 2.8, 50 1.7 and 135 3.5 M's combined.

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Sweden
Lens Review Date: August 23, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Metal body, Smooth focusing, Great bokeh & Sharpness, Small & Light, True colors (with Super Multi-Coated Optics), Cheapest price.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I'm using this lens primarily for video shootings. This is a great lens. I like smooth focusing especially. I would recommend this lens to everyone. Regards...

Samples

Full size -> https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-K5QZL8fdUn0/TlPniYEZDNI/AAAAAAAAA-M/LvZCu...d/IMGP9135.jpg

Full size -> https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BA6riQyEyhc/TlPnNpHExEI/AAAAAAAAA-E/Oy8iX...d/IMGP9075.jpg

Location: Gwynedd
Lens Review Date: August 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Overall a nice lens
Cons: softness wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9

We all know this is a good lens, it's not the best 50mm out there but it is a good one certainly.

A bot on the soft side wide open but useable, purple fringing is quite pronounced too. From F2 onwards its fantastic.

The Bokeh is pretty decent, and at large apertures it almost manages to pull off the 3D effect.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Israel
Lens Review Date: August 10, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super sharp, nice bokeh, and you can't beat the price for this type of quality!
Cons: Manual focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-r

I bought this lens from another member here on the Pentax Forums... and I must say, it was a great use of $50! The lens is small, but heavier than it looks, this thing is solid! And it takes really sharp photos.

I must say this would be a perfect lens, if only it was auto focus. But if you get used to using the manual focus, this is a definite a great lens to use!

If you can find one for a good price I would definitely recommend picking it up! You won't regret it.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Lens Review Date: July 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, small, nice focus ring, cheap
Cons: the blades are not round @ f2

My only complain is the OOF circle are not round, and it's some weird shape.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Budapest
Lens Review Date: July 23, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: brutal good
Cons: none..
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K200D

My best buy!
Very good dof, strong production, and cheap!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!