Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Review RSS Feed

206 566,874 Wed June 21, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

The SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 is a common standard lens that shipped with many early Pentax bodies.

Various types
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm
20877
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 121-135 of 206

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: July 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $41.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: price, sharpness, availability, soft and nice bokeh when wide open
Cons: maybe reflections in the direct light (but that's an extreme)

An excellent lens for a excellent price... It's my first prime lens and the difference in sharpness between the kit lens on my K-x and this 50mm is giant. After a lot of years of production it is still a brilliant choise not only for begginers.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: New York City
Lens Review Date: June 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $59.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, accurate color depiction, fast
Cons: Manual focus under low light is damn hard

Nifty fifty to the tee, this lens is very sharp (especially when stopped down a little), very good color, and is quite the dream to use with the manual focus and manual aperture. I enjoy using it for day to day shooting in daylight and well lit conditions. Under dimmer conditions, it's hard for me to get perfect focus, so I usually have to take a few shots while tweaking the focus ring. The focus ring itself is pretty easy to manipulate. The aperture ring is a bit thin, but has a nice feel (especially the click).

For a 40+ year old lens, this thing is amazing.

Location: Czech Republic
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, build quality, great focusing ring, colours, size, IQ, price
Cons: manual focus, bokeh at f2.0 and f2.8
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This lens is incredibly sharp, the build quality is amazing like with all the old lenses. The focusing ring is accurate and easy to operate. It has lovely colours and the IQ quality is superb. Only flaw I found is the bokeh at f2.0 and f2.8 which looks a bit like cog-wheel.
Anyway, it is an amazing lens and everybody should have one. The difference between this and the kit lens is so huge!

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Lens Review Date: May 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Value, MF Feel, color rendition
Cons: MF with modern viewfinders

This lens really is beautiful. Metal, glass... it exudes quality. The focus ring is well damped, and a joy to use. My only complaints with this lens, and the only reason I don't use it more, have more to do with quirks of digital cameras than anything wrong with this lens.

As a digital shooter, this is longer than I was looking for when I bought it. It's not a normal lens - it's a short telephoto. If you shoot indoors, think carefully about how wide you need. Entry level viewfinders are also a bit difficult to focus with, so know that it will take a while for you to get used to it, and you may need a focusing screen.

Nitpicking aside, I absolutely love the optics in this lens. Sharp, fast, beautiful colors... Nothing to complain about.

Registered: February, 2011
Lens Review Date: April 30, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharpness, color, build quality, size, bang for buck
Cons: At this price? None. Zero. Zip.

If you ever buy just one cheap prime lens, let it be this. Don't have any delusions about the age or cheap price - they might laugh at your small, old lens, but when you compare the results I guarantee you won't be the embarrassed one. When it comes to 50mm primes, they literally don't make them like they used to.

The fact that it's full manual is only good for you, as it forces you to concentrate on what you're trying to accomplish instead of firing away with full auto. Trust me, it's good for you to get to know the technical side of taking a shot, and you find the information help you with your other lenses too. You learn new tricks and will try new ways, and as a result will gain experience and skill.

Perhaps the most striking thing about this lens is the unparalleled bang for the buck. Image quality-wise it's so close the very sharpest drawing lenses out there that you wouldn't see the difference without gushing out close to 4-digit amount of cash, and depending on your skill not necessarily even then.

The super smooth operation of focus is out of the league of cheap plastic lenses. It's buttery pleasant, effortless and you just want to keep using it even if you're sure you've already nailed the shot.

This lens is superb right from the widest 1.7 which is a small miracle. It enables you to really pop the subject out of space, and your shots will never look the same again.

The only concievable downside is that it might lead you to the false assumption that throwing in a 1.5-, 2- or 3-fold amount of $$$ would yet increase image quality, when in fact it won't. To top this small miracle lens will take a lot more cash than that.

Okay I admit that after getting used to this image quality you have to shove a lot more cash on lenses than you used to.

Quick sample below. This is the kind of shit that pours out of my camera after getting the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7.

Shot at f/1.7, ISO 100, 1/1000 sec, with K20D (3rd party focusing screen, settings: Av with +0.7 EV, center spot metering)

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Bærum, Norway
Lens Review Date: April 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, sharp, build quality
Cons: Functionallity on DSLR

Great lens, but MF and manual exposure is not really for me if I don't have to...

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Athens, GA
Lens Review Date: April 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $43.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: low light performance, very pleasing bokeh, very nice FL for potraits and candids
Cons: Chromatic aberration, kind of soft wide open

This is the first lens I bought after getting my k-x and it was a worthwhile investment. In low light it is my default go to lens and produces some amazing shots. It's also quite good for close-up/subject isolation for artistic shots.

At first I would have said this lens is very sharp, however upon getting better glass (SMC-K 35mm) I'm afraid it falls very short in terms of sharpness when wide open. Additionally, it also produces a fair amount of chromatic aberration under certain conditions. This may be particular to my lens. For these reasons I cannot give this a 9.

Overall this is a very solid lens, especially for the price. I'd highly recommend it for beginners who want to get better at photography. It (almost) forces you to get familiar with M mode and after a bit of use you really begin to get a feel for the holy triad. Pick this one up if you get the chance!

Location: Skåne, Sweden
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, focus, very sharp, compact
Cons: None at this price
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-x, K-5, ME Super

PROS
  • Build quality
  • Compact size
  • Sharpness
  • Amazing value
  • Handling

CONS
  • Purple fringing under some conditions

This has to be one of the most common old Pentax-lenses, and therefore fetches very low prices. I paid $50 for a mint copy with original box. For that kind of money, it has the highest price/performance ration of all my lenses! It is sharp already wide open, with a pleasing bokeh. That it is sharp wide open is good for use in Av mode on modern DSLRs, M-mode and green button is great, but makes for slower handling. Stopping down just one or two steps boost sharpness and contrast even more. It is very compact and well built, makes a perfect fit on the ME Super but also on the small K-x (and with matching chrome details!). Manual focus is very smooth and precise, simply a joy to use.

I would very much recommend this lens to any user, beginners for great value and to exploring manual glass and all others simply for its performance. First picture is with "trap focus" on the K-x, second is on the ME Super.

My pictures on flickr with this lens

Registered: March, 2011
Lens Review Date: March 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $68.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

After reading all the reviews I decided to pick one of these little betties up. Now, I might be a greenhorn photographer but when the first 50 snaps come out like mine did you can't complain. This is my first lens other than the kit lenses that came w/ my k-x and I'm not sure I'll ever use the kit lenses again.

Location: Yokohama
Lens Review Date: March 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: All

This is the lens I began photography on and it will always be a favorite. When I go hiking, camping, or trekking up a mountain, I always bring this one since it's light and tough.

Lens Review Date: March 17, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality, sharpness, contrast, colors, build and everything
Cons: in fact... none

I it was all said already. This lens is basically a reference for build and image quality.

It can take any photo at any circumstances.

The only downside of this lens is that when someone ever uses it, they wish that every lens they own will be up to overall quality of M50/1.7...

I am using it with K20D, low-light sample from yesterday:

Lens Review Date: March 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $66.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp as macro lens, metal and glass, small, IQ, ...
Cons: not an A(minor problem if you use DLSR), but solvable by a little mode

Great lens! I have bought the camera with it. The IQ is amazing, no CAs at all, perfect micro contrast, more resolution then you will ever need. If you can find two buy tree .

this is from today, I have compared it with my FA 50 1.4

PS I have missed the focus a little on the M lens prom 2.0 to 4.0 it is obvious but it is enough to get an impression of the optic differences between the expensive FA and cheep M.

PS2 I'm giving 9/10 because of the functionality with DSLR. Otherwise if this was an A or AF lens it was going to be the best 50mm from Pentax in this size. Maybe only the 50 1.2 is better optically.

Location: North of switzerland
Lens Review Date: February 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, sharp, built like a Limited, (smooth) Focus ring, f1.4, price, great colors
Cons: no AF :(

This lens is superb. With AF it would get a 10.

Lens Review Date: February 16, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very small, good optics, smooth focusing, usual M build quality, sharp

Excellent piece of glass, nothing to say negative actually.

Location: Leipzig

Lens Review Date: February 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, well built, cheap
Cons: bokeh can be quite unpleasent at f2 and f2.8

In principle I do like this lens, it is pretty sharp (maybe even a bit sharper than the Smc-M f1.4 at f1.7-f2), and its built quality just feels good.

On the minus side stand the bokeh!
In my opinion it is not only the rather genreal 6-blade vs. 8-blade "disadvantage", but more the strange aperature shape at f/2.0 to f/2.8 (see sample pictures!).
In most situations, however, this effect doesn't appear that strong, which is why I still decided to give this lens an "8".

bokeh comparison at different aperatures:
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!