Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Review RSS Feed

8.2
96 274,907 Mon November 4, 2019

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2

The smallest and slowest of the 50mm standard M lenses. This lens was manufactured over several years. The original version had a metal lens barrel like all other original M lenses. The late version had a plastic lens barrel and was manufactured from parts used in the A version. The aperture on the late version thus closes down linearly with the movement of the stop down lever like on all A lenses.

Various types
1979 to 1985
smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm
20677
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Initially produced with a metal lens barrel and a weight of 165g, later with parts from the A counterpart and a plastic barrel, weighing in at 138g.
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 96

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent low light results
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

Another great lens with good sharpness, provided you are adept at dialing in focus manually.

- Pentax-M 50mm F2
- Pentax K-50 DSLR (16.3mp)
- mounted on tripod
- aperture priority
- ISO 100
- white balance set to AWB
- focus peaking enabled on camera
- using manual focus assist
- 2-second timer

Right-click the following image and click "Open Image in New Tab", then zoom in.

All jpegs right from the my Pentax K-50.

F4.5, 2 second exposure:

Here are 3 shots from my send copy of this lens:

F5.6, 2-3 second exposure:

Registered: November, 2016
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: very affordable for F2 prime lens
Cons: Not as sharp as other lenses of the same specs
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 7

This is a hard lens to review. It's a very affordable lens from one of the most prestigious camera makers. While it doesn't have the build quality of the older Super-Takumars, its not built badly. It features Pentax's very good multicoating which resists flare, but its image quality is not as good as some competitors. My Ricoh XR Rikenon is sharper wide open, and so is the its brother, the Auto Sears lens. While those lenses lack multicoating, they can be bought cheaper than the Pentax-M. Color rendition is good with the Pentax-M and the bokeh is just okay. When compared to very good modern day zoom lenses, the Pentax is a no brainer for price/performance ratio. Would I recommend it? Only if you can get it for less than $25. I believe its a good starter lens for people who want to use vintage manual lenses.

I have had both the old and newer versions of the lens. Try to get the older version. It is build better with slightly less plastic and QC might actually be better as my later version actually had a defect in one of the lens elements. A small chunk of glass was missing and was clearly there before they polished the lens and added SMC. While it didn't effect image quality, it is still not what I expect from Pentax.

Registered: February, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and easy to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax film and KX

There are some very odd reviews here that seem to rate this lens so far down that it makes me wonder what is going on! This lens is actually as good as the Pentax M SMC 1.7 version; the only difference being that it has a slightly smaller lens diameter. All this means is that at f2 it's not so sharp and it can't function as well in very dark contexts, but how many people genuinely go that low down the aperture scale when taking photos? At f5.6 both versions are identical and right up to the smaller aperture range. Being more affordable, I think that makes this lens as good as the f1.7 version.

And maybe those people who have really attacked this lens need to check to see if their copy is full of dirt, dust and fungus because the lens is decades old. This is not the fault of the lens! Just get your old lens cleaned up and then re-write your reviews, people!

The f2 is a lovely, easy to use, small, well-built and gorgeously coated lens that is a joy to rely upon and use to take wonderful photos in a vast range of lighting conditions and contexts. It just works, and works very well indeed.

Registered: November, 2018
Lens Review Date: October 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Location: Utrecht
Lens Review Date: August 11, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, build quality, decent performer stopped down
Cons: M1.7 is better and also costs almost nothing...
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: ME super to K1ii

Wide open this lens is less good compared with the M1.7 at F2.0, visible less sharp, visible more ghosting. Stopped down this lens is realy good. But... For a few more $ you can get a M1.7 which is clearly a better performer. Build quality and handling of the M2.0 are great like all M-lenses.

See also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/390869-som...-compared.html

Picture wide open:

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah

Lens Review Date: July 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $31.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Fine contrast, Color Punch, Sharpness in that order
Cons: bokeh, fringing possible at f2 until 2.8, doesn't look cool
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is the best Pentax 50mm for landscapes. I tested the SMC 50 1.2 & 1.4 with 52mm filter rings and 8 bladed apertures, SMC Tak 55 1.8, and Super Tak 50 1.4... Hands down, this one offers the best fine contrast and color punch. The 55 1.8 is close, but isn't sharp from f13 to f16 and doesn't even have 22... This one also gives the best flare resistance out of them all, though can fringe when used wide open at f2. fringing clears up completely by about 2.8. Hence, this is "The" 50mm landscape lens from Pentax. I use this one a lot more than my SMC 1.2, which is reserved for bokeh and dreaminess. This 5 element design is barely more than a Tessar and performs similarly with a lot of 3d pop. Bokeh is not great - this is not the design of the lens, and why I also recommend the SMC 50 1.2 or Takumar 55 1.8 in addition to this 50.

For anyone interested, I compared 5 different 50mm lens options from Pentax and posted it on YouTube:

On my copy, the rubber focusing ring was slipping so a thin bead of high temperature black RTV gasket maker applied with a toothpick underneath fixed that. The focusing helicoid is so small on this lens that it feels like it's not even moving. Glassy focus and clicky aperture, typical of M series Pentax.

More people should get over fast lenses and start using readily available gems like this one.

Registered: June, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great DOF, Build quality, Long focus throw, Sharpness
Cons: Can't think of anything at this moment
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Panasonic Lumix GX80

I have been looking at this forum for some time now. When i realised i could use the old pentax lenses my father used 30/35 years ago, i tried to use them with a focal reducer from Pixco on my Panasonic Lumix GX80/GX85 and with great results. I will show some samples with this post.

This lens is great. The focus throw is buttery smooth and the sharpness is very good with the camera i am using. When i use this 50mm lens with a m4/3 camera and the focal reducer it comes down to 76mm, but the results are great. The sharpness at F2.0 is reasonable and at f8 it is ultra sharp. The mood and depth of field of this lens is beautifull. It feels like quality and it is.

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp @ 2.8, metal body, cheap, bokeh
Cons: soft wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K500

very dreamy wide open with a little of purple fringing (the M 1.4 @ 2 has no this dreamy effects), perfect solution for anyone that want to use the legendary M series of Pentax (but for 10 bucks more you can buy the M 1.7 that is really the state of the art of 1.7 50mm). The bokeh is very good (round wide open and hexagonal stopped down - not ninja star like the 1.7). At 2.8 is very sharp with a very nice color rendition.

I recommend this lens but only if you need an extra 50mm and if the price is less than 15 bucks.

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: February 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, good build q, pleasure to use.
Cons: Soft-ish wide open.
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5

This is a good lens an I enjoy using it.
Build quality of this lens is very good and it also looks nice.
It is small and comfortable to use, and has smooth focus ring.
Bokeh is excellent, though the lens lacks sharpness when wide open (also it's a manual lens, so a lot of depends on photographer). It is sharp when stopped down.

Would I recommend it? Well, That depends on at what price you can get it.
For what I paid for it, I could've gotten the f1.7 version instead (Don't know if it's any better though, as I've never tried it, but 1.7 looks better than 2.0 on paper ).
For 20-40USD - it's a no brainer.

Registered: December, 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lens Review Date: January 19, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cheap, easy to find, aberrations well controlled
Cons: Soft, way out-classed by the other 50mm options
Sharpness: 3    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 8    Camera Used: K3-II

My copy of this lens came attached to a set of K-mount bellows I bought. So I can't really deny the amazing value offered by it (you can get it for change!). Originally these were the cheap-as kit lens option (vs the not as cheap 50mm f1.7 and f1.4 options). Definitely not the worst option at the time, but now, with so many better legacy lenses going for cheap, I cannot recommend hunting one down - chances are you will get one attached to an old body or something else anyway.

Image quality wise, the lens is soft wide open, unable at f4, acceptably sharp at f5.6, and even good at f8. Problem is that this leaves in heavily out-classed by its faster brothers - both of which (even the notoriously soft f1.4) are sharper, earlier.

Aberrations are surprisingly will controlled. Distortion is non-existent (as you would expect from a 50mm lens), but even chromatic aberration is minimal. Apart from cost, this is its biggest plus.

Bokeh is nice and smooth, but no better than from its faster brothers.

My example's aperture ring is quite resistant to moving (not great on a lens which doesn't allow body-aperture-control!). This is probably down to age and lubricants drying out, but compared to other Pentax lenses I have with metal aperture rings, it is disappointing. Otherwise handling is as you would expect from a M-era manual lens.

Despite the lens' cheapness, I really cannot recommend the lens. Optically it is just 'meh', and with so many other cheap manual 50mm lenses out there, you can easily pick up something much better (I recommend any of the f1.7 versions). If you really want a 50mm f2, I'd suggest tracking down the A-series version, if only because it has the aperture contacts, meaning you are not restricted to green-button metering on DSLRs.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Seattle

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very good sharpness, bokeh, color, size, price, well built
Cons: none (with this price)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5II

Don't know why this lens has a low score
I also have the A50 F1.4 but personally, I think the M50 f2.0 easier to handle

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, almost to the point of being free
Cons: Soft at f2.0
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I also own the smc pentax 55mm f2.0 so I could make a comparison, and this lens does worse all across the board. It is very soft at f2.0 making it a 50mm/f2.8 in practical use. At the same time it's hard to complain over a lens that costs peanuts. It's well built and handles nice. But just add a $20-30 and there are excellent options on the used market performing way better. Grade is of course in relationship to price, probably the least expensive pentax lens out there.

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3, K7d, K01

Like most others, I got this cheap, as part of a collection of old lenses and other things.

I really like the Pentax m42 primes and probably wouldn't have bought this lens if it hadn't come along with other things I wanted. And that would have been a huge mistake. This is what I like about it:

The Bokeh really appeals to me. I am very fond of this lens.

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: June 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, light, well build, Handling, I.Q.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I don't understand why this lens gets a lower score here than the 1.7.
I owned the M 1.4, the 1.7 and the 2.0.
In my opinion, the 1.7 and 2.0 are both excellent, the 1.4 inferior (not really usable at 1.4)
Yes, you lose 1/2 aperture compared to the 1.7. But that is known, factored in the price.
Is it important practically? Hardly.
The quality of the photos is stunning, very good already at f2.0 (better than the 50mm 1.7 at full aperture), excellent at f2.0 and above.
Excellent color rendition, light vignetting at full aperture, very sharp and sharp at f2.0 and improving at small apertures...
Built quality is exceptional, not like today's cheap lenses... Superb focusing ring...
My only disappointment is the absence of specific hood (no telescopic hood, no baionet). But flare resistance is pretty good, the SMC coating was one of the best at the time.

Lens Review Date: December 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value
Cons: Can be a bit soft (maybe a pro); slower than others
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

I'd rate this pretty high considering the cost. I got mine attached to a film camera body. It's sturdy, and the mechanism still worked fine after all these years.

I'd say the images are rather soft, but that's fine since newer lens aren't that way. Reflections can also be an issue, so use a hood.

It seemed to be a bit contrasty, but maybe that just the light I've been using it in. I basically got it as an addition to an old body I built, but it's gonna find some use on my cameras.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!