Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Review RSS Feed

91 242,456 Sat July 29, 2017

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2

The smallest and slowest of the 50mm standard M lenses. This lens was manufactured over several years. The original version had a metal lens barrel like all other original M lenses. The late version had a plastic lens barrel and was manufactured from parts used in the A version. The aperture on the late version thus closes down linearly with the movement of the stop down lever like on all A lenses.

Various types
1979 to 1985
smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm
20677
Lens was sold without hood. Several hoods will fit like PH-S49 (50mm) and screw-in type metal and folding rubber hoods
Initially produced with a metal lens barrel and a weight of 165g, later with parts from the A counterpart and a plastic barrel, weighing in at 138g.
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 91

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah

Lens Review Date: July 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $31.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Fine contrast, Color Punch, Sharpness in that order
Cons: bokeh, fringing possible at f2 until 2.8, doesn't look cool
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is the best Pentax 50mm for landscapes. I tested the SMC 50 1.2 & 1.4 with 52mm filter rings and 8 bladed apertures, SMC Tak 55 1.8, and Super Tak 50 1.4... Hands down, this one offers the best fine contrast and color punch. The 55 1.8 is close, but isn't sharp from f13 to f16 and doesn't even have 22... This one also gives the best flare resistance out of them all, though can fringe when used wide open at f2. fringing clears up completely by about 2.8. Hence, this is "The" 50mm landscape lens from Pentax. I use this one a lot more than my SMC 1.2, which is reserved for bokeh and dreaminess. This 5 element design is barely more than a Tessar and performs similarly with a lot of 3d pop. Bokeh is not great - this is not the design of the lens, and why I also recommend the SMC 50 1.2 or Takumar 55 1.8 in addition to this 50.

For anyone interested, I compared 5 different 50mm lens options from Pentax and posted it on YouTube:

On my copy, the rubber focusing ring was slipping so a thin bead of high temperature black RTV gasket maker applied with a toothpick underneath fixed that. The focusing helicoid is so small on this lens that it feels like it's not even moving. Glassy focus and clicky aperture, typical of M series Pentax.

More people should get over fast lenses and start using readily available gems like this one.

Registered: June, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great DOF, Build quality, Long focus throw, Sharpness
Cons: Can't think of anything at this moment
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Panasonic Lumix GX80

I have been looking at this forum for some time now. When i realised i could use the old pentax lenses my father used 30/35 years ago, i tried to use them with a focal reducer from Pixco on my Panasonic Lumix GX80/GX85 and with great results. I will show some samples with this post.

This lens is great. The focus throw is buttery smooth and the sharpness is very good with the camera i am using. When i use this 50mm lens with a m4/3 camera and the focal reducer it comes down to 76mm, but the results are great. The sharpness at F2.0 is reasonable and at f8 it is ultra sharp. The mood and depth of field of this lens is beautifull. It feels like quality and it is.

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp @ 2.8, metal body, cheap, bokeh
Cons: soft wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K500

very dreamy wide open with a little of purple fringing (the M 1.4 @ 2 has no this dreamy effects), perfect solution for anyone that want to use the legendary M series of Pentax (but for 10 bucks more you can buy the M 1.7 that is really the state of the art of 1.7 50mm). The bokeh is very good (round wide open and hexagonal stopped down - not ninja star like the 1.7). At 2.8 is very sharp with a very nice color rendition.

I recommend this lens but only if you need an extra 50mm and if the price is less than 15 bucks.

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: February 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, good build q, pleasure to use.
Cons: Soft-ish wide open.
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5

This is a good lens an I enjoy using it.
Build quality of this lens is very good and it also looks nice.
It is small and comfortable to use, and has smooth focus ring.
Bokeh is excellent, though the lens lacks sharpness when wide open (also it's a manual lens, so a lot of depends on photographer). It is sharp when stopped down.

Would I recommend it? Well, That depends on at what price you can get it.
For what I paid for it, I could've gotten the f1.7 version instead (Don't know if it's any better though, as I've never tried it, but 1.7 looks better than 2.0 on paper ).
For 20-40USD - it's a no brainer.

Registered: December, 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lens Review Date: January 19, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cheap, easy to find, aberrations well controlled
Cons: Soft, way out-classed by the other 50mm options
Sharpness: 3    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 8    Camera Used: K3-II

My copy of this lens came attached to a set of K-mount bellows I bought. So I can't really deny the amazing value offered by it (you can get it for change!). Originally these were the cheap-as kit lens option (vs the not as cheap 50mm f1.7 and f1.4 options). Definitely not the worst option at the time, but now, with so many better legacy lenses going for cheap, I cannot recommend hunting one down - chances are you will get one attached to an old body or something else anyway.

Image quality wise, the lens is soft wide open, unable at f4, acceptably sharp at f5.6, and even good at f8. Problem is that this leaves in heavily out-classed by its faster brothers - both of which (even the notoriously soft f1.4) are sharper, earlier.

Aberrations are surprisingly will controlled. Distortion is non-existent (as you would expect from a 50mm lens), but even chromatic aberration is minimal. Apart from cost, this is its biggest plus.

Bokeh is nice and smooth, but no better than from its faster brothers.

My example's aperture ring is quite resistant to moving (not great on a lens which doesn't allow body-aperture-control!). This is probably down to age and lubricants drying out, but compared to other Pentax lenses I have with metal aperture rings, it is disappointing. Otherwise handling is as you would expect from a M-era manual lens.

Despite the lens' cheapness, I really cannot recommend the lens. Optically it is just 'meh', and with so many other cheap manual 50mm lenses out there, you can easily pick up something much better (I recommend any of the f1.7 versions). If you really want a 50mm f2, I'd suggest tracking down the A-series version, if only because it has the aperture contacts, meaning you are not restricted to green-button metering on DSLRs.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Seattle

Lens Review Date: October 24, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very good sharpness, bokeh, color, size, price, well built
Cons: none (with this price)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5II

Don't know why this lens has a low score
I also have the A50 F1.4 but personally, I think the M50 f2.0 easier to handle

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, almost to the point of being free
Cons: Soft at f2.0
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I also own the smc pentax 55mm f2.0 so I could make a comparison, and this lens does worse all across the board. It is very soft at f2.0 making it a 50mm/f2.8 in practical use. At the same time it's hard to complain over a lens that costs peanuts. It's well built and handles nice. But just add a $20-30 and there are excellent options on the used market performing way better. Grade is of course in relationship to price, probably the least expensive pentax lens out there.

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3, K7d, K01

Like most others, I got this cheap, as part of a collection of old lenses and other things.

I really like the Pentax m42 primes and probably wouldn't have bought this lens if it hadn't come along with other things I wanted. And that would have been a huge mistake. This is what I like about it:

The Bokeh really appeals to me. I am very fond of this lens.

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: June 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, light, well build, Handling, I.Q.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I don't understand why this lens gets a lower score here than the 1.7.
I owned the M 1.4, the 1.7 and the 2.0.
In my opinion, the 1.7 and 2.0 are both excellent, the 1.4 inferior (not really usable at 1.4)
Yes, you lose 1/2 aperture compared to the 1.7. But that is known, factored in the price.
Is it important practically? Hardly.
The quality of the photos is stunning, very good already at f2.0 (better than the 50mm 1.7 at full aperture), excellent at f2.0 and above.
Excellent color rendition, light vignetting at full aperture, very sharp and sharp at f2.0 and improving at small apertures...
Built quality is exceptional, not like today's cheap lenses... Superb focusing ring...
My only disappointment is the absence of specific hood (no telescopic hood, no baionet). But flare resistance is pretty good, the SMC coating was one of the best at the time.

Lens Review Date: December 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great value
Cons: Can be a bit soft (maybe a pro); slower than others
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

I'd rate this pretty high considering the cost. I got mine attached to a film camera body. It's sturdy, and the mechanism still worked fine after all these years.

I'd say the images are rather soft, but that's fine since newer lens aren't that way. Reflections can also be an issue, so use a hood.

It seemed to be a bit contrasty, but maybe that just the light I've been using it in. I basically got it as an addition to an old body I built, but it's gonna find some use on my cameras.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Lens Review Date: September 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, solid build, nice image aesthetics, meters well with my K-3
Cons: Sometimes focusing without a split screen is tricky
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1000, K-3

I got this lens with an old K1000 off eBay for about $30. Here's two from my K1000 on film:

ye old vans by Jordan, on Flickr
Fuji 200

Train in downtown Kennesaw by Jordan, on Flickr
Fuji 400

And here's two using my K-3

Jack Daniel's by Jordan, on Flickr

Peaches! by Jordan, on Flickr

Registered: July, 2015
Lens Review Date: July 29, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid build quality, great depth of colour and saturation.
Cons: more light in would be nice.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon T3i

Great lens by todays standards, solid heavy feel, simple & substantial, crisp. Shot with a Canon T3i, using a Photodiox adaptor @ f 5.6. I've had this lens since buying my K1000 in 1984 - pleased to have it back in use.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: May 31, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very good sharpness, bokeh, color, size, price
Cons: based on the price: none so far!
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5, A7

this lens is small, has plastic body (except the early version has metal body), overall has excellent price and performance ratio, no one lens has cheap price with excellent capture and color rendering like this lens....i rate this lens has excellent performance

here are the sample pictures image, mainly no post processing:

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Lens Review Date: May 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: cheap, color saturation, sharp at f8
Cons: soft in corners wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500

Registered: June, 2014
Lens Review Date: May 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $4.29 | Rating: 10

Pros: Brokeh, Inexpensive Good color, Fairly Sharp, Overall great lens!
Cons: None so far :)
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K10D

Overall great lens. I've really enjoyed using this lens. Here are a few photos I've taken with it:

Next two taken with a +4 Screw-on Close-up lens:

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!