Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 75-150mm F4 Review RSS Feed

8.1
52 145,707 Tue January 22, 2019

SMC Pentax-M 75-150mm F4

The M-series 75-150mm is a compact manual-focus short telephoto zoom.

APS-C: 22-11 ° / 18-9.1 °
Full frame: 32-16 ° / 27-13.7 °
Built-in, slide out
One-touch Zoom
1980 to 1985
smc PENTAX-M ZOOM 1:4 75-150mm
Manual FocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 75-150mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 52

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: surprisingly sharp at all the focal lengths even at wide open
Cons: out of production
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: ME Super, MX, Sony A7

This vario lens is phantastic - I bought it for a low price - 25 Euro, in use for school events.

Mechanics are on top, like on the first day after production. This is Pentax M like. Optics have a slight fog between the first two lenses. But only in the edges of the lenses.

I took this lens to a favourite place in my favourite light in very wet weather. I wanted to find out, how this lens is working under extreme conditions. I have not been disapointed. It is a sharp and very handy lens, which has a reasonable range of focal lenghts. You are able to use it on cold days with stiff fingers, because it has a big distance/focal ring. The built in hood is a great help on rainy days to keep the front almost dry.

Even wide open, it is a sharp lens. It has a little CA, but you only can see it on digital images. In considering the lens is almost 40 years old, you will love this solid, old school zoom. Like the other M lenses!!!

Lens Review Date: November 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: extremely sharp
Cons: very few CA's in the corners
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-s1, k-x, k200D

I use the zoom lens for macro shootings in combination with an achromatic focal reductor and a macro ring.

Excellent results with f 11

Registered: March, 2013
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Lens Review Date: October 4, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, sharpness, colour, Pentax, cheap.
Cons: None for the price.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: KP

As others have said this is a wonderfully sharp lens and really nicely built. Quite heavy but balances well on the KP with a grip. The one touch zoom/focus system is a joy and something I'd not used previously. It gives lovley colour and feel to images: great old-school M lens rendering. Good examples can be found very cheaply. I would highly recommend getting one if you like to use legacy glass.

Sorry for all this

Registered: April, 2018
Location: Ottawa

Lens Review Date: April 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, sharp, smooth
Cons: f4
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K7 and K-3 II

Yes, it's manual, yes DXO can't deal with it automatically, yes there's no EXIN info, but it is a great lens. I am more of a 18-55mm guy so when I clip this onto my camera I am usually in the mood to really think about my shots and manual doe snot bother me then. That said, I have, more than once, just left the camera in auto and let it shoot at f4. If you are like me and a long lens is something you like to have in your bag but you want to avoid the $$$, try this out. I am including a couple of shots with this lens.

K7

K7

K-3 II

Registered: April, 2014

Lens Review Date: March 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: weight, size, build quality, IQ, sharpness, colour, contrast
Cons: noner
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: sony a7r3

This is such a great lens for those looking for a light and portable medium length zoom.
I use it with a FF system and the results are terrific.
Very easy to use and focusing is a dream with image mag and focus peaking.
Great bokeh despite being F4.
No CA, defringing or vignetting.
Built in hood is great.

My current travel bag (Billingham small) sony a7r3, pentax m20 f4, pentax k28 f3.5, pentax k55 f1.8 and pentax m75-150 f4. All work so well with this camera and together provide a very light and dynamic travel solution.

Registered: January, 2017

Lens Review Date: October 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Super build quality, wonderful feel and accuracy in zooming and focusing, sharp, compact and it even has a built-in lens hood. I cannot think of any flaws in this lens - it's one of those lenses I'd like to take under my pillow at night =)

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya
Lens Review Date: November 10, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, compact, image quality
Cons: Built-in hood rather short

75-150 is a golden range in the M series anyway - the 85mm, 100mm and 135mm prime lenses are all lovely. This lens is much the same. Everything that can be said has been said, so I will simply agree with it - image quality is great, handling is superb and the focal length really does work for walking around, particularly street shooting. What surprised me when I first got hold of the lens was its compactness, and the fact that it is entirely internal zooming - the barrel does not extend at all when you slide the zoom mechanism.

If I had to pick holes, I'd mention that there's a little fringing (but no more than any other old lens, and less than some new ones), and that the built in hood is a bit short to be really effective. But Camera RAW and Lightroom exist for a reason, and metal tele lens hoods are silly cheap. As is this lens, so get out, buy one and enjoy it.

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpish, cheapish and it's a Pentax
Cons: Nothing major

I compared this Pentax with a seemingly mint Tamron 70-150mm F:3.5 model 20A (nothing very technical, just took some images) and found it to provide sharper images with less purple fringing.

In a nutshell, it is not fast, has a limited range of focal lengths and I got my copy (well used with zoom creep) at a great price.

Recommended if you are looking to use this range....but a good 70-200(210)mm might be just as sharp with a better range.

Registered: June, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 26, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant aperture, Size, Sharpness, useability
Cons: slightly heavy, CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: MX, K-1

I don't use longer focal lengths often, but i'd prefer this lens over a good telephoto prime any day.

Not much to add on previous reviews, other than the following:

- Sharpness is really, really excellent. Not as sharp as a 50mm prime, but could easily make large prints of images taken with this lens. Example below is shot wide open and at the tele (softer) end of the zoom. I'd call that sharp

- The zoom creep is an issue on my copy, but as for the push/pull design I think it's a matter of preference... Unless you really don't like the push/pull design in general, don't let it put you off buying this lens! The focus is nicely dampened (i just wish the length of the zoom was, too), and the throw length is perfect.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Eureka, CA

Lens Review Date: June 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Compact, build quality, built-in hood
Cons: zoom creep
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 6    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5iis

What this lens provides is very good optics throughout its entire range in a fairly compact package combined with superb build quality. With a little improvement to the optics and coatings along with some AF technology, you'd have a beautifully crafted Limited zoom.

The major downside to the lens is, because it doesn't report its focal length to the camera, using SR with the camera becomes much more tedious. The push-pull zoom design, while it might help facilitate quick framing and focusing, also can lead to annoying zoom creep issues. My version is fairly stiff. Even then, if I point the lens upward while on a tripod, the zoom will slip to the bottom position (which is 150mm).

The aperture ring features some curious particularities that provide insight into how the designers of the lens thought it should be used. Throughout most of the aperture ring, f-stops are distributed by half a stop. But at each end, there is a whole stop. So the lens starts at f4, and goes all the way to f5.6. From there it's half stops until f16, and a full stop to f22. This suggests to me that the designers of the lens thought the most usable stops were f5.6 to f16, and that f4 and f22 were only added for special circumstances, not for everyday use. And if you actually use those extreme apertures, you begin to understand why: those are the two stops where the lens performs at its worse. Wide open, the lens is a bit on the soft side; and by f22, you've found yourself well within the confines of diffraction. But between f5.6 and f16, the lens performs quite well, with an impressive consistency throughout it's entire range. Unlike most telephoto zooms of its period, it's not sharpest at the wide end, and softest at the far end. While there may be variations in performance through the range of the lens, they're not significant enough to be noticed in everyday use.

I bought the lens to use for telephoto landscapes. While I already own a Tamron 70-200 f2.8, that lens is just two big to carry with me wherever I go. This is where the compact size of the M 75-100 really pays dividends. I can carry it in a large pocket --- or, since it only cost me $50, leave it in the car and not worry about it. I don't use it all that often. But I'm glad it's there on those few occasions when I need it.

Optically, it's not as sharp or as contrasty as the best contemporary lenses. My Tamron 70-200 is sharper, as is my DA16-85. But the 75-150 is sharper than any of the consumer grade telephotos I've tried. The M series zoom replaced in my kit the F 70-210. At 70mm, that old first generation AF telezoom, at f8, was a little sharper than the older M series telezoom. But by 100mm, the M 75-150 was sharper, and by 150mm the M zoom was significantly sharper. Another big advantage for the M 75-150, at least in landscape photography, is that it focuses right to infinity, rather than past infinity. The F 70-210 would not focus accurately at long distances, and it was very hard to attain infinity focus manually because of the very short focus throw and the fact that the lens focused passed infinity.

The built-in hood is another nice feature. I rarely find myself using hoods with older lenses, because there's no such hoods that can be stored by reversing them on the lens. But that's not a problem with the M 75-150. The hood is always there when you need it.

The lens features typical M series color rendering, with rich, aesthetically appealing "Pentax" colors, rather than boring "neutral," "accurate" colors. It really does work quite well as a landscape lens, particularly for those looking something compact. If you want something better, optically, you're going to have to get something bigger and heavier and much more expensive.

Some examples, first at 75mm:

And one shot at 150mm:

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Cracow
Lens Review Date: June 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, weight, well controlled CA, combined zoom and focus ring, contrast
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

This is my first M lens. I considered prime M 135mm, but finally I found and bought 75-150. I took into account the reviews from this forum and I can confirm that the value of this lens is 10/10. The sharpness is very good, but it requires good technique (tripod) or fast shutter speed. The aperture ring and green button work better than I expected.

I noticed small CA (for F4, F5.6) and the bokeh is some cases does not look "nice" - there are only 6 blades. One of the disadvantage (it concerns the body not lens) is that only central AF point can be used to confirm the focus. I do not understand where is the problem to activate in software the rest of AF points.

Finally I recommend this lens. It's cheap, well-built and sharp. If you understand and feel this pure mechanical lens, your photos will be magnificent.

Samples:

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: March 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, quality, sturdy
Cons: Weight, slow, a bit of a "dreamy" effect wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: A7II

Solid bokeh, sharpness is acceptable, and I find most sharpness problems stem from my bad focusing technique. The focus and zoom do have issues staying put. I'm slightly intrigued and ticked by the zoom/focus functions, which is new to me.

Registered: July, 2014

Lens Review Date: March 9, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: M solid build, colors, range, 49mm filter size
Cons: long, dark
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-50

Used on ebay. Handles well. Solid build. Slightly heavy and long. Smooth zoom. A bit of zoom creep. M lens quality construction and using aperture ring easy. Rich colors but I typically have to up the exposure on dark cloudy days. Nice long range on the crop sensor DSLR. Good bokeh. I have other M primes and the image quality is the same. Price is excellent. I'm pleased and recommend it.

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Sydney
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent M quality , Pretty useable for an 80's Zoom.
Cons: Built in hood is a bit naff.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

JPEGS found via link.

So I lined them up;

-Super Tak 105mm f.28
-Super Tak 135mm f3.5
-Pentax M 75-150 f4

And shot my wall. well my bookcase.

EXIF will say:
Pentax K5,
ISO1600
f4 = 1/20
f5.6 = 1/10
f8 = 1/6

Subject was about 2m away.
Jpegs at max quality, shot with 2sec timer, no PP.

Super boring subject matter true, but maaaaaan next to the Super Taks, it's well.. this Zoom ain't so bad... well...

@105(ish)mm,
The Tak is sharper at f2.8 then this things is at f4. At 5.6 the 105mm Tak is still cleaner, but by f8 the zoom looks sharper.

@135(ish)mm
At f4, I'll give it to the Tak just. There isn't much in it at 5.6 and by f8 I'm calling it a draw.

I've included shots at 75mm and 150mm for you to look over also.

Not a very scientific test, but perhaps consider for a general overview?

Sadly the 40yr old Taks are the only lens of similar focal length I have to compare it too. So... This 80's zoom is more or less at quality of the 135mm f3.5 Super Tak of 1975ish Perhaps some more modern glass would leave it for dead?

But honestly pleasantly surprised with it. I was happy with the quality from my Tak's and since this is not that far behind I can't be not happy with it.

It is slightly longer then the 135mm f3.5 Super Tak, but you have access to the varied focal range.

Perhaps "80's zoom" isn't as big of a swear word as I first imagined.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: February 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $11.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, build & handling. Inexpensive to buy.
Cons: Hood, average optics & speed.
Camera Used: K Series film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD)

The M75-150/4 zoom was released in 1980 and was in production for five years. It’s a unique zoom for its focal length and there was no predecessor or replacement. (The closest was a Pentax screw-mount 70-150/4.5 zoom in the in mid 1960's)

The Pentax lens guides of that period marketed the M75-150/4 zoom for its small size, good optics, at a reasonable price. This was typical of the “M” Series in general.

Optics:
For a “Budget” zoom lens the M75-150/4 has decent optics. Pentax stated its optical quality matched the fixed-focal length lenses of that period. I don’t have any “M” Series primes in the 75mm-150mm range, but I can tell you that the M75-150/4 is not better than any of my “K” Series primes with a focal length in its zoom range. My K85/1.8, K100/4 Macro & Bellows, K105/2.8, K120/2.8, K135/2.5, K135/3.5 and K150/4 all have better optics. The M75-150/4 does however get very close to the K135/3.5 and K150/4 optically.

Focal Range:
On film this is a nice portrait, short telephoto lens and makes a good choice for walk around “city” telephoto lens when you don’t need a lot of reach. The focal range of the M75-150/4 may be small, but that’s what keeps the lens weight and size down.

Build:
Excellent metal build and a nice small size & weight, perfect for a travel lens. If only a FA zoom could be built like this!

Usage/Handling:
Perfect handling one touch zoom design and the M75-150/4 is very easy to manually focus.

The M75-150/4 has a built-in hood that slides forward when in use. It’s a bit short and hard to use with a polarizer filter. While it’s nice to have a built-in hood, a bigger clip-on or screw-on hood would have better serviced this lens. The M75-150/4 comes with a dedicated hard lens case, marked with “SMC PENTAX ZOOM 4/75~150”. The M75-150/4 has a 49mm filter thread and has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2 meters.

Speed:
F4 is adequate and anything faster would have added bulk to this lens, which is not what the Pentax engineers wanted for its design. If you want a nice out of focus background/bokeh for a portrait shot, then I would use a faster prime lens like the K85/1.8 or K105/2.8

The M75-150/4 vs my other similar FL telephoto zooms:
I also own the A70-210/4, K80-200/4.5, K85-210/3.5 and the K85-210/4.5 and would rank them overall in this order:

1) A70-210/4
2) K85-210/3.5/M75-150/4 (Tie)
4) K80-200/4.5
5) K85-210/4.5

Summary:
All in all a very nice lens to use and camera bag friendly. Not as good as the A70-210/4, but not bad either considering the price that you can pickup this zoom for. I only paid £7.50 for mine and it’s in mint condition with the original case. A bit of lens separation on the front elements, but nothing that affects the image.

Sample shots taken with the M75-150/4. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives

Camera: KX Film: Kodak Portra ISO: 160

Camera: KM Film: Adox Silvermax ISO: 100

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 75-150mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!