Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Zoom Lenses

7.9
 8.2
27 147,172 Sun June 10, 2018

SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5

This lens succeeded the K 80-200mm; it came in two production versions. Version 1 is a rebadged version of the K counterpart, whereas the second version has a different optical design, and is slightly larger and heavier. The image above and the optical diagram show version 1.

Version 1:

Version 2:

SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5 (i)

APS-C: 20-8.2 ° / 17-6.9 °
smc PENTAX-M 1:4.5 80-200mm
This first version of the M 80-200mm is optically similar to the K version
Manual FocusBuilt-in HoodAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 27
Resident fiddler

Registered: September, 2014

Lens Review Date: June 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Resolving power, build, FF coverage
Cons: PF, focus shifts (see text)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 4    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-01

This review is for version 1 of the lens (the one with the chrom ring at the end of the barrel).

This vintage zoom has in its exceptional resolving power its strong point: of course this results in a trade-off which entails some purple fringing on high-contrast borders.

My copy also exhibits a focus shift around f/8 at the long end, which forces me to focus it while stopped down. This could be a problem if using an optical viewfinder, and if the button for the optical DoF preview is placed inconveniently, like on my K-30.
Other people's copies were not affected by this issue, so I guess YMMV.

At the short end, it's even better, with most of its problems disappearing, and the IQ reaching even higher levels.

Bokeh is nothing to write home about, since the lens has a quite pedestrian 6-blades aperture. It has just a little bit of swirl (cat's eye) on APS-C, which is bound to be more evident on FF.

If you have the patience to get past all this quirks, you're rewarded with high-quality pictures (the user contribution notwithstanding, that is! ), as you can see below:

Even at 200mm resolving power is very good

Color rendition is also quite nice

Bokeh is hexagonal if the lens is not shot not wide open

The fine details of feathers are not a problem

At 80mm it's even better

A nice side effect of its high resolving power is that it can be multiplied with no issues. This is a 100% crop of a picture I shot with it at 200mm, coupled with a 2X teleconverter! Click for the full size image on Flickr (1200*1600 px).

Lens Review Date: December 12, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: superb build, handy, good IQ, smooth handling
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5, K-x, K200D

I used in the past A LOT of telezooms: hanimex (because of lack of money), then Tokina 4/80~200 that I bought for some 100 DeutscheMark in the 90s, today it would translate to >100Ä because of impressive test results in a well-reknowned German magazine. At the same time, Pentax' zoom got a meek critic. And I (silly me!) kept that hearsaying for over 20 years in my mind.
Came the era of AF, and I got the pentax-f 70-200, which pleased me a lot, although the colours were somewhat colder and less vibrant than on my other Pentax lenses. Sigma 75-300 AF, Tokina AT-Xpro 2.8/80-200, Sigma apo 3.5-4.5/50-200 and many more.

Some months ago I gave this Seventies vintage lens anothe try. Bought it at eBay for ~75 US $ and was bequeathed with a mint copy of the zoom! Lucky me

I took it meanwhile to a lot of test strolls in the nature, also doing architecture photos. I tested it (same spot, same settings, same tripod (manfrotto) against a manualfocus Sigma 70~210 APO. The Sigma may be a tad sharper through the whole span, but the M-zoom pics do look more realistic: there is something in the air of the M-zoom's pictures that give you the feeling you are ON the scene just by looking at your PC monitor. And I'm not talking about the much warmer (though not at all yellowish) and sympathetic colours of the M-zoom.

What pushed me to write a POSITIVE review on this particular zoom: I tested it also against the OUTSTANDING, huge, tack-sharp and perfect Pentax 645 4.5/80~160 zoom (via original K-adapter, which cost the triple of the M-zoom on the same eBay!). If you take your time and do focus precisely, the pictures of the M-zoom aren't, at first sight , different than those of that huge 645 thing. Amazing!
but the 4.5/80-600 zoom although having nominally the same aperture as the M-zoom, gives you a MUCH brighter viewfinder image, resulting in more effortless focusing, composing, etcetera., this is something optics theoreticians should explain some day.

resumť: very appealing colours, superb build, NO ZOOM CREEP in my copy, and very realistic images. This M-zoom is a keeper!

Lens Review Date: November 16, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

great colours , go od bokeh , a bit slow , not as sharp as expected , but 80-200mm very good for nature walkabout , a little difficult to focus

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Manchester, UK

Lens Review Date: March 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cost, build quality
Cons: Weight, size
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-7

My copy came well fungus infested and hence very cheap (£12.50 including postage). Fortunately, as with all the M lenses, it dismantled and cleaned up easily.

Physically it is very similar to its smaller sister, the M75-150 f4, of the same diameter but just a bit longer and slightly heavier. Same push-pull design - the zoom does not extend the lens at all and the focus ring has a similar well damped long travel. There is also a shortish built-in extendible hood. It is an all metal build, internally all parts are well finished and obviously made to last.

Performance-wise it is surprisingly good. Quite useable wide open and sharpens up a lot stopped down a few clicks. Bokeh is a bit on the rough side. As with all the old lenses there can be some purple fringing but there is little CA or distortion on my copy.

As far as handling goes I prefer the shorter M75-150 f4, this one is just a bit too long and heavy on a DSLR.

Some test shots at various apertures and focal lengths are here.

Registered: December, 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Lens Review Date: January 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Affordability, image quality
Cons: A bit hard to focus, Slow
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

The value of this lens is absolutely unbeatable: pristine copies can be found for less than $100. For that price, you get solid optical performance and 1970s tank-like build quality. I've dropped this lens onto concrete and it suffered no damage (note: don't test that!).

This lens handles exceptionally well. It is well-balanced on modern camera bodies and the focus ring and zoom turn smoothly. It really doesn't feel heavy at all, especially compared to other modern lenses.

This lens really needs to be stopped down for good sharpness, which starts to set in one notch below f/8 or so (with a maximum at f/8). Wide-open, it's not so sharp and contrast seems poor. It's manual focus only and tends to be hard to pinpoint perfect focus. If you're shooting anything that moves, be prepared to accept a lot of blurry shots. That said, it works well for landscapes and other stationary objects, where focusing speed is irrelevant.

I can't say I care for the lens' bokeh. The lens doesn't focus close enough for use in any macro-like situations and its bokeh at distances is harsh.

Overall, this is a great telephoto starter lens. If you don't have this reach in your bag and are just starting out, you can learn a lot from this lens and it's cheap enough that you won't mind replacing it when you do determine your needs. If you're looking for something that will produce nice images for a very little amount of money--say you will only use it a few times, this is a great lens to purchase. It's pretty compact for a long zoom and won't weigh down your bag much at all. It's marvelous to travel around with.

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: December 25, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp when stopped down, build quality, usable 200mm
Cons: quite heavy, quite slow, unusable wide open, CA, creep
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon EOS 600D

I bought this lens on an auction for about 25$ and it's a great buy, with a few "but"s.
First off, it is utter crap at it's already slow f4.5. Everything is blurred out, can't focus. Stop it down to 5.6 and it starts to get sharp. Go down to 8 or better yet 11, it gets really sharp, even at 200mm.
Also when wide open, it gets horrible CA, combined with the blur - it's unacceptable. But at 5.6 the CA is not so apparent anymore.
Built like a tank - works very nicely. It does show extensive creep though when positionoed vertically, nothing to be shocked about. Bokeh is nice.
Overall you will find this lens great if you accept that in practice, it's a 5.6 and not 4.5 lens. It's sharp, handles CA quite well and has decent contrast, considering. This is not your regular zoom, but for certain tasks - it can be THE budget zoom with long focal length. It is very usable even at 200mm when stopped down.
I use it with my Canon T3i through adapter, no looseness, no modification to the lens required, works great.

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Compact, light
Cons: There are plenty of faster alternatives.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Samsung GX-20

I bought this after discovering the brilliant Pentax-M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 and the astounding Pentax-M 75-150mm f4. However, I don't think this is in quite the same league.

My copy is version 2. It seems to be in perfect condition, and cost £10 including postage.

The images I take with it resemble those taken with the somewhat older and bulkier Tamron 85-210mm f4.5 Model QZ-210M. On the screen, the overall impression given by the images are similar, and when I pixel-peep, contrast and detail appear likewise. The Pentax has fewer fringes though.

The Pentax bokeh and colour are unexceptional.

The Pentax is very well made, and it handles nicely, but although the wide open images I have taken with it are comparable to, they are not as sharp as, those taken with the somewhat larger Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm f3.8-4 Model 46A, and this is true at all focal lengths. I find that even with Image Stabilisation, the faster the shutter speed, the more likely it is that my pictures are going to be sharp. For me, the speed advantage of the Tamron seems to make a useful difference to the success of my attempts to photograph.

I judge the Pentax wide open performance to be superior to that of the slightly faster Kiron-made Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 and the Kiron-made Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8.

The Pentax works well with the Pentax 1.7x AF converter. But you need good light.

The lack of fringing compared with the Tamrons ensures that I do use the Pentax occasionally, but the relatively narrow maximum aperture is a downer. Since the Pentax can be acquired so inexpensively, and is quite compact for such a focal length range, the availability of plenty of other lenses that are just as good, or slightly better, is no reason to avoid owning the Pentax. Thus I have no hesitation in recommending it. But I have marked it down to a 7 to reflect the many available possibly superior and equally inexpensive alternatives.

Lens Review Date: April 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, built, light weight, sharp
Cons: f4.5, manual focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5IIs

If you are against manual focus lens, you can skip this review. Or, check this lens out and get one from ebay, like I did and you won't regret.

I like manual focusing bcs none of my DA/FA lens auto focus right and, bcs of this, I have a more more range of lens choices when looking into the A/M/K/645 series and quite a lot of them are in really really good price., like this one. Besides, the built quality of old time lenses are always a taste for me.

I agree that FA*80-200 is the best of the zoom lenses but it is really heavy and EXPENSIVE!!

To me, this lens is very easy to handle due to its weight and size. Focusing is as good/effective as any other A/M/K manual lenses i have and image is pretty pretty much sharp to a zoom lens. Bokeh is smooth. For what it can do, I believe this lens is very much under-valued.

Here is a sample the first day I get this lens handheld on a pretty bird just outside my garden.

Lens Review Date: March 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

very good lens!

Lens Review Date: March 3, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: pretty sharp
Cons: CA
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: k5iis

For $35 I am very happy. Sharp but CA can be a problem depending on the shot.
I think I got a pretty good copy.
Bokeh is donuts but it can be a nice effect on some shots.
It seems to be a chore to upload albums already on this forum to the review. Sorry

Lens Review Date: February 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing sharpness
Cons: Out-of-camera exposure is always a bit off
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I believe my lens is version 1. This one came in excellent condition.

The lens delivers amazing sharpness. I'm not sure how it is optically possible but it looks like sharpness would exceed the sensor resolution even at f4.5/200mm! Contrary to some reviewers, I don't see any softness at f4.5. Not even edge softness. It would be interesting to see what happens when this lens is attached to K-IIs.

DOF is quite shallow at f4.5 and shallow DOF combined to MF isn't the easiest combination to get right. K-30 phase detection system seems a bit ... generous and it can flash the in-focus red dot at the edge of sharp area rather than in the middle.

Highlight (purple) and shadow (greenish) edge fringing are apparent. However, those are easy to fix in Lightroom by pushing the defringe slider halfway.

Most of the time the lens combined to K-30 produces underexposure, slightly desaturated colors and WB in artificial light seems a bit too warm. Nothing that couldn't be post-processed but modern lenses perform better in this respect. Also, one could also argue that desaturation and underexposure are desirable features when shooting raw.

Lens Review Date: September 11, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $32.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality, IQ,
Cons: Weight, Zomm/Focus should have been a little more smoother
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5

I got the lense in today. I hooked it up, set the camera to use the Aperture Ring and it worked right off the bat. The focus indicator also seems to be working correctly. A couple of things I dont understand
1. if I turn the camera off and back on again, it's asking me to select a Focal Length. Just wondering what does that mean and what impact does it have on the Pictures.
2. If I change the mode to anything other that Av / M it walays says Av.

For what I paid this lense is worth every Penny. Yes I cannot take it to an event and start shooting as it is manual, but the IQ and BQ are awesome. If only it was a bit lighter. I see my wrist hurting from this a lot.

Lens Review Date: May 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $51.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, colour, contrast, build quality
Cons: Slight lens creep
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

One of the most useful things Iíve found with Adobe Lightroom is that it takes very little time to find out if youíve produced a pretty good image or messed up completely. The quality of the colour and contrast is immediately apparent from thumbnail previews and then the sharpness can be evaluated by selecting an individual file and examining it at full resolution. With a newly purchased legacy lens, this perusal is especially exciting, but for me always slightly worrying. Did I buy a dud copy, was my technique up to scratch and is the lens going to meet my expectations?

Iím delighted to report that this lens finally passed my scrutiny tests with flying colours. There are no significant flaws as far as I can tell. However, it is a fairly big, long lens and you need to make sure you are giving yourself a chance of doing justice to its attributes by sufficiently short shutter speeds. I initially went out with the zoom set at 200mm and foolishly chose 100 ISO on a cloudy morning. Although there was a reasonable amount of colour recorded, practically nothing was properly in focus. Towards the end of the shooting session Iíd figured out the errors of my ways and adjusted the ISO setting, but probably then chose focal points that werenít suitable, given the slender depth of field offered by the set focal length.

I had another go today and chose 100mm and started with a safety-first 400 ISO. The improvement in my results was out of all recognition. The camera gave its reassuring bleeps to confirm manual focus was in order. I then pressed the green button and deliberately braced myself even more than usual before activating the shutter. The metering with my K-5 was absolutely first rate and once again, the camera previews indicated that colours were being accurately recorded. I took my usual test shots of boats and beach huts, before meeting a woman walking her Golden Retriever dogs. She agreed to let me photograph one of them and it was patient enough to sit still and pose attractively for my camera.

The sharpness with this lens at 100mm is as good as anything Iíve yet tried on my K-5, with the possible exception of an excellent and deservedly lauded SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. Colours are truly superb. I can thoroughly recommend it. To those of you who believe that modern digital zoom lenses have a definite edge, let me tell you that I recently part-exchanged my Panasonic Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6 lens, which has built-in stabilisation. The Pentax lens cost one-tenth of the purchase price of the Panasonic and is superior in every respect. I was very fortunate to get a pristine copy that was previously owned by a collector who made hardly any use of it. But all I can say is that if you are prepared to be patient with manual focus and have a reasonably steady pair of hands or donít mind using a tripod, this lens could be exactly what you are looking for.

This is a brilliant lens. Buy with confidence and you could pick up not only a bargain but a real treasure.

Location: Oegstgeest

Lens Review Date: August 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: vanaf 5.6 zeer scherp, mooi bokeh en kleurdoorlaatbaarheid
Cons: geen
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9

Dit is een opmerkelijk mooi obejectief. Gebouwd als een tank. Ik heb het nog niet zo lang, maar gebruik het voor zowel, portet- als tele, en macro fotografie. Samen met de DA 4/16-45mm en de smc macro 4/50mm behoort deze lens tot mijn "walkaround" set.
voor voorbeelden van de de hoge optische kwaliteit verwijs ik naar flickr (ivoverboon) "van Katwijk naar Noordwijk" (tele) en "polder omgeving Hazerswoude" (macro). Ook al omdat ik graag alles handmatig instel, is dit een heerlijk objectief. Kan deze lens dus van harte aanbevelen.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Lens Review Date: May 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp (!), cheap, light
Cons: manual focus, little slow compared to modern teles

One of the first lenses I purchased for my DSLR, I've ow been using it both on digital and film bodies and it's one of my favourites. Extremely sharp wide open, light, small, well built and easy to use. The only downsides to this lens are the obvious ones - it's manual and a little slow at f/4.5.

These lenses are a bargain, I'd strongly recommend picking one up if you get the chance.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!