Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » M Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2 Review RSS Feed

43 186,663 Sat June 15, 2019

SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2

This compact portrait lens was succeeded by faster versions in the A and FA series.

PH-R49 and clip-on hood
for 85mm/100mm lenses
1977 to 1984
smc PENTAX-M 1:2 85mm
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 43

Location: Utrecht

Lens Review Date: June 15, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, very nice build quality, excellent performance
Cons: Blue-ish halos wide open in out of focus highlights
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This lens has the same look & feel like the M-50 F1.4, a very compact relative havy piece of metal filled with nicely coated optical glass, it's just a little bit bigger than the 50 is. Full open spot on it already is decent sharp with a small DOF. As mentioned here before, at F2.0 in harsh areas that are not in focus you can see even in your viewfinder the blue / purple halos at the highlights. One stop down these almost disappear, the best results are delivered between F4 - 5.6. You get pixel sharp contrasty pictures with enough out of focus to deliver that 3D view. This lens often is mentionned inferior to its K-sibling, but it is so sharp on 36 MP I hardly can believe that.

Arnold Stark published an interesting article about the 77-85 Pentax lenses: http://www.yaaastark.de/pentax/aufloesung85er.htm

Pictures shot between F4 - F5.6, only levels adjusted in post...

Registered: January, 2019

Lens Review Date: April 27, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, bokeh, color rendering, small, light
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax LX, MX

This is another telephoto lens (in addition to Pentax K 200mm f2.5) that I always had with my bag when I traveled to Europe and the Himalayas in the 1980s. When I bought my first Pentax camera with a normal lens (MX with M 50mm f1.7), the seller recommended the Pentax M-series 85mm f2 as the second lens. She was a Pentax photographer and praised the lens as the market's best portrait lens. At that moment I had no money to buy this praised lens and went almost a year before I found it used for a good price.
It was a really worthwhile lens and it quickly became known as an excellent portrait lens among photographers in 1980s. In fact, when I put it on sale later, it was sold in less than an hour. That lens was to me the perfect portrait lens. Perhaps, it wasnt the sharpest lens at full aperture, but its color rendering was great and I think that much better than Canon and Nikon lenses at that time. I shot mostly at aperture 2.8 or 4 for portraits, and results were perfect.
Though it is a manual lens, lens handling is quick and easy. It is a light and rather small lens. When I walked in the countryside, I often had a normal or wide-angle lens in the camera, but Pentax's light and small lenses were able to change in a matter of seconds, and Pentax's 85mm was instantly switched to the camera when approaching suitable subjects.
Id love to buy this lens back, but so far I have not bought it, because it's hard to find it at a reasonable price, even though it's more than 40 years old lens. Instead, I was fortunate enough to buy a Pentax A* 85mm f1.4 that was released a few years later in 1984.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah

Lens Review Date: June 28, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color punch, Fine Contrast, Bokeh, Sharpness, non-radioactive in that order
Cons: 6 aperture blades, blue-ish tinge at long exposures
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony Alpha bodies

Colors and contrast are supreme with this lens. Bokeh is "luxuriously swirled," but not too much and it's still perceivably sharp even wide open. It gets very sharp at 2.8. There are sharper 85mm's, but this one has fine contrast which gives that "pop" one might expect from a low element count prime lens. The size is very small and compact. Perfect M series build quality. This matches well with the M series 135mm f.5, for they're both way too small for how good they are.

The only drawback to this lens I can tell is that on long exposures and moreso when the aperture is opened up it seems, it leans blue. At least on my Sony's. As a trade-off, my night blues are gorgeous with this lens. Works well if going for a teal-orange graded image. It benefits from a hood, especially when wide open where I get a loss of contrast in some situations without one. As a bonus, this lens is not radioactive like the Super-Takumar 1.9. I example images in my video for anyone interested.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance

Lens Review Date: December 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: extremly sharp-without artifacts, small, build quality extremely high
Cons: none, out of production
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax MX, Sony A7

This is a great lens for portrait - but especially for theatre and stage photography.
An enormous sharpness gives you the opportunity for image section, so, that you are able to replace a heavier zoom. Manual focus is on top of mechanical possibilities. I cannot remember,
that any of my several Nikon lenses has a comaparable build quality like the M lenses of Pentax. For me they are the top of lenses. Ive bought all my M lenses in used condition. Some where stronger used, my M85mm 2 was nearly new. All of them have the same proper function in stops and focussing. After 30 or more years you can work with them, like on the first day after production.

Registered: March, 2015

Lens Review Date: September 28, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, small, fast
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k30

I had at the same time the A*85 1.4, the FA* 85 1.4 and this lens. I have done a couple of test with the tripod with all of them and I have to see it is very closed to the other two (if you ask me the best is the A* but is it absolutely smaller and lighter and cheaper than the other two!!

So, if you have a budget of about 200 dollars think seriuolsly about this lens!

Location: Lower Saxony

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: smooth bokeh, compact, sharp - but not too much
Cons: -
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-30

down scaled out of camera jpg, K-30, f/2.0:

(click into to enlarge original out of camera jpg)

Lens Review Date: January 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, especially price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K5 iis

Unbelivable value vs price. I couldn't expect more

Loyal Site Supportaxian

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: March 24, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, Sharpness.
Cons: No aperture automation.

Sharpness: Sharp enough wide open; Very sharp from f4-11. In some respects the wide open sharpness is ideal for portraiture because it's not so sharp (like the 85/1.8 can be at F2.8) that it's still forgiving to your subject if they have blemishes.

Abberations: Moderate Purple CA when wide open that is so broad that it's almost more like halation. Only a problem in certain conditions, and it's pretty much under control at 2.8. Not a big issue to me.

Bokeh:
Better than most lenses. Blur quality is quite smooth, and the optical formula favors blurring the background before the foreground when each is equidistant from the subject plane. This is ideal for subject isolation in typical shooting conditions. Could use more aperture blades, but the smoothness of the blur means that the hexagons are not as obtrusive as in many other lenses with 6 blades.

Handling: Excellent. Waaaaay smaller than the preceding 85mm 1.8's. The convenience factor is very high for this lens due to its size. Time and again, this has found itself in the bag due to size.

Color Rendering. Very good. Typical M series - slightly towards blue but not obtrusively so.

Value: Not cheap, but you get pleasing performance for the price.

On Full Frame: Special mention here - this lens is fine on APS-C like a K-01, but it's notably better on digital Full Frame where it really performs well and can turn the bokeh to beautiful creamy mush. Unlike some other reviewers, my copy is acceptably sharp in the corners on FF. Not super, but just fine for intended use.

Overall: The sweet spot for me is f2.8 with close subject. The strengths of this lens are it's size and portrait performance. I like it quite well. Lens hood recommended.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: singapore

Lens Review Date: October 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: small, sharp when wide open , nice colours
Cons: negligible to mention
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

#1
DSC02525 by maverick_h, on Flickr

#2
DSC02327 by maverick_h, on Flickr

Much has been said about this lens. I simply love it and it travels with me whenever i am overseas. Portable. does not take up much space. Loves the colour it renders. Probably I am lucky to have a sharp copy.

I rather let the picture speaks for itself.

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Lens Review Date: May 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, F2, lightweight
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 7    Camera Used: K5

I bought this for the F2 and it's relatively small size and weight. On APS-C I'm not a big fan of 50mm and prefer 70+ mm for my portraits.

Unfortunately any of the old 85mm lenses are not cheap so you basically pay premium for these lenses. While an F1.4 would be nice they are pricey and heavy.

Anyway, I've tested on a K5 and I'm happy. For my intended use as a portrait lens this is definitely usable at F2. If I had to stop down the utility would have been somewhat diminished.

This now competes with the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 85mm F1.4 but they are significantly heavier hence why I purchased this light weight SMC-M 85mm F2.

I'm going to be happy using this lens although sadly from a Pentaxian point of view not on a Pentax but on a Fujifilm X-E1.

I can definitely recommend this lens but if you are happy to carry more weight the Samyang may offer better value (cheaper and faster).

The most obvious con for me is the long focus throw. I'm gonna have to get in the habit of prefocussing a bit.

Lens Review Date: April 14, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness compact
Cons: NA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: pentax kx

I enjoy the manual focus. after purchasing a DA 70 2.4, I want a more quick lens , I bought this one from a local fellow. It's very compact just like all pentax lens. The color render and boken is wondferful for me.

Registered: May, 2012
Lens Review Date: September 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: compact, sharpness
Cons: lacks of contrast at full aperture
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I was searching for the perfect portrait lens. I bought a Samyang 85mm wich gave me full satisfaction but was a bit bulky. One day I bumped into this lens. Small, lightweight and sharp! I sold the Samyang and kept this one.

Very sharp, this lens is perfect for portrait. I can just complain about the lack of contrast at f2 (something that you can fix in PS) and that it could be faster. Otherwise, this is the perfect lens to take with you when travelling. It doesn't match my FA 77mm or the almighty A 85mm 1.4 but for the price is really a steal.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: central kansas
Lens Review Date: March 15, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $202.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, Fast, Sharp
Cons: Manual focus and no A setting

Just purchased this lens. I love it! I use it on my K-01 and it works great. Focusing is smooth and typical of a M lens. I have no problems using focus peaking with this lens. I just wish it had the 'A' setting, but then I couldn't afford to buy a lens like this.

Lens Review Date: February 24, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

This is the sharpest lens I ever use!

Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: January 5, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, sharp at f2.8 and above
Cons: Bad at full aperture, no hood
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8

This lens lacks contrast and sharpness at full aperture, the full aperture is not usable.
The I.Q. improves a lot, though, at F2.8 and above.
I like the light weight, but a telescopic hood would have been useful.
Very light and well built lens.
To buy only if you consider it like a 85mm f2.8, providing a brighter image in the viewfinder.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!