Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Normal Primes
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Review RSS Feed

87 528,646 Tue February 14, 2017

SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

The Takumar 50mm F1.4 is a fast normal lens produced in two "Super" versions as well as two versions with Super-Multi-Coating.

The first "Super" version (introduced 1964) has 8 lens elements (listed separately). All subsequent versions (including K, M, F and FA K-mount versions) have 7 elements.

The 7 element Takumars have the infrared focusing mark to the left of the numeral '4' on the DOF scale. The 8 element version has the mark to the right. Thanks to Laurentiu Cristofor for pointing this out.

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50, late model. Some have a white dot on the aperture ring at the f/2 position (first photo):
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (late)
M42 Stop-down Pin

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1965 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 (late)
This 7 element version can be distinguished from the 8 element version by the placement of the IR mark between the numerals 8 and 4.
Some of these lenses have a white dot at the F2 position.
1: Super-Takumar with 8 lens elements
2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements

mm
1971 to 1972
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering

SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50, rubberized focusing ring. Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII (third photo):
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4
M42 Open-aperture Metering

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1972 to 1975
SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50
Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 87

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I have SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, I bought it as a pre-owned. However, I couldn’t focus it as the seemed stuck (the aperture ring) for some reason. Any help?

PS: I'm using it with Canon 60D

Registered: July, 2016
Lens Review Date: February 12, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: amazing build quality, good sharpness stopped down, interesting bokeh, low CA
Cons: soft wide open, bad flare resistance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony A7s, a6000

I have the single-coated, radioactive 7 element version. The lens is beautifully made and works flawlessly despite being 40+ years old.

Optically it's quite good with useable sharpness wide open, decent CA performance and bokeh that, though it can be harsh, is often visually pleasing (to me, at least).

Check out my review to see lots of photos taken with this lens: http://www.theweekendlens.com/super-takumar-50-f14.html

Registered: July, 2015
Location: Sydney/ London
Lens Review Date: January 26, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Unique rendition, lovely
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fuji X-T1

The Fuji X-T1 with it's all magnesium chassis, weight balance, manual controls, focus peaking and super EVF is an ideal dumping ground for legacy lenses so I use the Takumar with that. This makes the 50mm focal length effectively 75mm on this aspc camera which as focal lengths go is a bit 'meh'. Not with this lens though! The best I can do is let the lens speak for itself, so here are some examples:

Test - Takumar 50mm f1.4 by Otim, on Flickr

Canterbury Park by Otim, on Flickr

Bin Night by Otim, on Flickr

Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

The only downside is that there is too much temptation to shoot wide open, but that's user error.

Registered: December, 2016
Lens Review Date: December 14, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, bokeh, easy to use
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fujifilm Xe2s

Hi guys!

This is my first review on this forum as I've just registered. This lens is something truly magical, and I'm talking about my 7 element Super Takumar 50mm f1.4.
I got this lens for $50 from my friend who has a nice collection of Takumars. I quote his words "Dude, you gotta try the Tak man, so sharp, so artistic". That convinced me because he never lies when it comes to lenses. I bought the Takumar from him and as soon as I got home, took my camera and got out. Maaan, was I amazed and happy I got this lens.
Super sharp, the focus slides easily, bokeh is dreamy which is so nice!
People say it's radioactive, and my Takumar has that slight yellowing. My thought about it is that our phones, mobiles that we keep in our pockets or even near are more radioactive then a simple lens. Those screens to emit a lot of radioactive waves. So a lens such as this? Naah.
If someone is reading my review and wants to know if he should get the lens or not, GO FOR IT!
You will not be disappointed!

This was with the extension tubes for macro.

Registered: December, 2016
Lens Review Date: December 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value, luminous bokeh F1.4, high resolution at F8
Cons: Radioactive, "artistic" rendering wide open not for everybody
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fuji X-M1

Hello,

I bought this lens (SMC version) some weeks ago and used it on a film camera (full-frame) and my digital Fuji X-M1 (crop-sensor). You can see my impressions including 4K sample images here:

The lens is radioactive with the rear elements, so I keep it in a metal case. The rendering is luminous and elegant wide open at F1.4-F2 and sharp/high resolution at F8 but not artificially sharpened like most modern lenses that look like CGI. Well worth its 120€ price tag for an excellent condition. Be advised the dof is razor thin at F1.4 and falls off rapidly into blur - this lens allows no user error. Metal construction is supreme, will last for centuries.

Concerning the radioactivity I found this comparison:
For example, these are measurements I took of my S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4:
Rear element: 38 µSv/h
Focusing grip: 4 µSv/h
Back of camera with lens mounted: 1˝ µSv/h

For comparison: an airplane ride has ca. 4 µSv/h radiation hitting the hole body and pilots fly many hours a day. So do not look closely into the rear element for a longer time, but otherwise you should be fine in any moderate use of this lens.

Images with my Fuji X-M1 (jpg no editing): F1.4

F8?

_______
I would like to add some impressions for using an actual film camera (35mm) with Fuji Portra 160 with this lens. More image samples in the link below. Film behaves somewhat differently, an open aperture F1.4 is more difficult to handle, but the results are overall quite excellent. Great lens for film, even if you do not need F1.4.

F.8?

Registered: May, 2016
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: nice IQ, great bokeh,
Cons: too soft wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: canon 100d

Hi, this lens make me write my first review on this forum. (after all this time just be a silent reader )

this is a great lens, i have the 8 element super-takumar 50/1.4. some said this is a rare gem, i got it in auctions around 9000Yen (70-80 $ ?). I do not know if it`s overpriced or not though, just searching for vintage lens m42 mount at f1.4 and stumble on this lens.

after about a month i used this lens, i have fall in love. trying it in low light, night, portrait, or just shooting around still life object on my room.. the results are fantastic.

Canon 100D 50mm f1.4 ISO 100

Canon 100D, 50mm f.2.8 ISO100

Registered: May, 2016

Lens Review Date: May 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness (even f/1.7), DOF, Price, Quality, Metal body, Contrast
Cons: A bit soft at f/1.4 with much light and with subject more 2 meters far, Yellowing due to radioactivity, Prices are rising..
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K500

The best lens I ever had. Usefull for every situation. Very sharp even at f/1.7 (in poor light condition even 1.4 is sharp but in normal light condition it has a dreamy character with colors, but lines and borders are very sharp. It has a bit of C. aberration (easy to remove in PP) but I like it very much anyway. Very good contrast and vivid colours, it has its own character. Very good lens even for videos. Lenses tend to become yellow.. they give warm colours but tend to become very dark more the diaphragm closes

all the 2 following photos are shooted at f/1.7

shooted at f/1.4

Location: Madrid, Spain

Lens Review Date: February 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Solid build, fairly sharp
Cons: Very heavy, not the sharpest 50mm

This review is for the Super-Multi-Coated version (seven elements).

The Takumar 50/1.4 is a very solidly-built lens which feels great in use. It's dreamy wide open and is useable in some circumstances by f/2 and is nice and sharp by f/2.8. Bokeh is OK stopped down a little and often quite nasty wide open or at f/2.

This lens gets a lot of praise from the Takumar purists but when push comes to shove there are superior 50mm lenses out there for the same or less money. In the Takumar line, the 55mm f/1.8 or f/2 is superior in every way except pure speed - sharper, better colours, better contrast, lighter but still superb build quality - unless you want to shoot at f/1.4 (and get soft results) there's just no reason at all to have the faster lens.

The M and K 50/1.4s and the Auto Revuenon (made by Chinon I think) in K mount are all optically superior and just as well-built despite being lighter. The Takumar is a nice enough lens and a real pleasure to use because of it's build quality and smooth focus and aperture ring, but almost every other 50 or 55mm lens I've tried has been superior. It certainly doesn't deserve either the reputation or price it has.

If you want a 50 or 55mm Takumar then go with the 55/1.8 or /2. If you want a 50/1.4 then go with the M, K or Auto Revuenon or look for other alternatives. I sold mine after a couple of years and don't regret doing so.

A few of photos taken with this lens. These photos may contrast with what I've said above - the 50/1.4 is capable of giving great results but so are other similar lenses, and many of the alternatives will yield more keepers.

IMGP8868a

IMGP6410a Tak 50

IMGP1271a Tak 50_1.4

Registered: June, 2015
Lens Review Date: February 28, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, light haze, bloom, low light performance
Cons: light haze, bloom, shallow focus throw, color cast, chromatic aberration
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3 II

This is a tricky but rewarding lens.
I keep my camera with me all the time. Lately I've kept this lens on it. Half the time I'm glad and half the time I regret it.
As these lenses are common and inexpensive, it's possible some of my side effects are due to this particular lens, but it's all I have to base my review on.

It has a few major characteristics.
  • It creates light blooms
  • The lens coating produces a yellow color cast that is beyond just white balance, It interprets The colors of a scene in a unique way like a photo filter.
  • It has a natural haze
  • It's prone to lens flares
All of these qualities are both positive and negative, depending on the situation.

It excels at portraits. Focus is rarely tack sharp, so it softens faces to a flattering affect. Together with it's rich bokeh and tendency to bloom highlights, the lens can do wonderful things.
The softness also means it's poor for intricate or detailed shots. Photos of crowds, or of architecture usually lack detail. The lens' bloominess can also easily blow out foreheads and other reflective surfaces. That softness, combined with bokeh, can also result in some chromatic aberration.

My only real complaint is with the imprecise focus ring. The lens is rarely tack sharp, but the difference between optimal and out of focus is so brief that I'm often surprised and disappointed by what I pull off the card, even when I was confident of the shoot.

I went last minute to a Sanders rally recently, and was stuck using the Takumar. A 50mm manual lens in an auditorium isn't ideal, but the lens' natural focus issues, combined with the lack of crowd detail, combined with bloomy highlights were the perfect combination of things to wreck most of the photos.

That said, it's nice to capture images that don't look like they came from a DSLR. Sometimes sharpness can be ugly.

Registered: October, 2015
Lens Review Date: October 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent Lens ,easy to focus
Cons: Nil
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: SONY SLT A 37

Used Sony SLT A37 and Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Lens Review Date: August 14, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $32.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, smooth, fast aperture, low price
Cons: None for what it is
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K30

This is my first m42 lens, and also the first lens I have ever given a 10/10 rating. Mine shows signs of use, but I expect that from a lens made in the 60's. It functions flawlessly, is super smooth focusing, and is actually easy to focus at f1.4 because everything just snaps into focus! I have the radioactive version of this this, which contains a thorium element. It was very yellow when I first bought it, but putting it under an LED light for a couple of days cleared most of it up. Now it just gives a warmer look to photos which can be nice, but also easy to edit in photoshop if I don't want that look in certain photos. I have heard many complaints in many reviews about multiple variants of Pentax 50mm f1.4 lenses being soft, which made me hesitant to ever try one since apparently all of these later lenses use the same optical formula of this Takumar 50mm f1.4. But, I think the reason people are thinking this is because the depth of field is so thin that any mistakes in focusing will give a "soft", slightly out of focus photo. A few non scientific tests I did showed that this lens at f1.4 is sharper than my K 55mm f1.8 and DA 50mm f1.8 when both used at f1.8. If I stop this Takumar down one click to the white dot which is f2, then it is sharper than the other two lenses ever get at any aperture, and even rivals my FA 77mm limited's sharpness at f4. That is saying something. The aperture ring also allows you to set it between clicks, so you can get approximately f1.6 or f1.8 if you want. I use aperture priority mode, and set the front dial on my K30 to change iso, so all I have to do is focus and shoot and keep an eye on the shutter speed; changing the iso or exposure compensation once in a while. I find no trouble manual focusing this lens when already stopped down to f4, which is the most I ever find I need to stop it down. I do use a focus magnifying eye piece, however. The bokeh wide open is circular and fantastic, and as you stop it down background lights turn into hexagonal shapes, which I personally like. This lens shows no purple fringing at f2; at f1.4 there is some but still seemingly less than my FA 77mm limited wide open. At f1.4 the contrast of the Takumar can be low and photos may have a "dreamy" look to it in bright light. This again, is easy to fix in photoshop so I like having this versatility in this lens, although some people may not like this look. Indoors I do not find this problem, and I find I can consistently pull off photos in very dark places. The dreamy look is completely gone at f2, and lessens as you set the aperture between the f1.4 and f2 click stop. Below are some links to sample images. They were all taken at f1.4 except for the barbed wire fence photo and the Saguaro Lake photo were was stopped down, but I can't remember how much. This lens is a low light monster! I can take photos in near darkness, and this lens just gets sharper and sharper as you stop down. It's a great lens to own.

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Minnesota

Lens Review Date: July 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: well built, compact, sharp, Bokeh, colors
Cons: CA wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

At first I was looking for the 8 element version of this lens, but decided to settle on this one because it was cheaper. My version is the non-SMC Super Takumar that came right after the 8 element was discontinued with part # 37800.

Unfortunately my copy came with a small spot of Fungus on the inside of the lens elements. After some serious testing it was determined that it did not affect picture quality. Nevertheless, I was thinking about returning the lens due to the fungus which was not mentioned by the seller. That's until I decided to take a few pictures...

Wow ! this lens let me use selective focus like the lenses of old. The Bokeh was very creamy and the transition between focused and unfocused areas was very smooth. The other thing I liked was the color rendition which was very saturated and accurate. Great for flower pictures ! Lucky for me my version did not come with any yellow tint that is reported often for this lens. The focusing ring was buttery smooth, although not as smooth as my 135 f2.5 and the aperture ring was tight and snappy.

Another thing that amazed me was that after f2.8 this lens was razor sharp ! Between f1.4 and f2.8 however, you could produce Studio quality soft-focus, beautiful portraits without any software. Wow, this was too good to be true considering the price I paid for it, so I decided to keep it.

I always wanted a 50mm that would outperform my DA 50mm f1.8 and this lens was certainly it ! Don't get me wrong the DA 50m is a good lens, but in my opinion it lacks that "wow" factor, this is why I seldom use it.

The only problem I had with this lens was trying to focus in dim lighting with a small aperture. With the lens stopped down, the Focus Confirmation sometimes has trouble latching on to a subject.

A few months after purchasing this lens my curiosity drove me to purchase the 8 element version which almost cost me twice as much as this one. I just had to know if everything that was said about the 8 element was true and if I was missing out on something.

To my surprise, I could hardly tell the difference between both versions "so far" ? The 7 element is sharper wide open, but after f2.8, the 8 element is slightly sharper. The Bokeh looks about the same to me, some say the 8 element Bokeh is a little creamier...

Either way you can't go wrong with any of these lenses they are both stellar in a Retro type of way, and highly recommended.

Registered: May, 2015
Lens Review Date: June 26, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh fast lens
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K50

K50 is my first DSLR, so I'm learning. I couldn't resist to get this lens, I have the 8 blade version.
Honestly they are a joy to use, still have to improve my manual focusing capabilities but the shots that I get in focus are really nice IMHO.
This lenses feel very well and handling is great.
This is the flickr album with the shots taken with this lens ( I will add more as time goes )

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The result is just different of my other lenses
Cons: Hard to focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: pentax k5

I'm no expert, but I got the pentax k5 and wanted an old lens.
This lens was highly recommended on the internet, so I went for it. Got me a m42 chinese 5 dollar ring to fit.

The handling of this lens feels "real", it really is "taking pictures", much more then normal zoom lenses. that I liked directly.
The pictures are just great (if I'm able to get the focus good) . I'm in love with the lens because she makes me think.

Every picture is hard to take: change apperture, change iso, change shutterspeed, BUT it's only now that I fully understand
what it is to take a real picture. Modern lenses are not very helpfull for beginners, as you try on manual, but shoot in auto, as it
is to hard to have everything correct. With this lens, ... no excuses, it has to be right.

my advise for beginners "get an old manual lens and you will understand what it is to take pictures"

I still need 10 pictures to get a good focus, so a lot to learn.

Registered: January, 2015
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $144.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, built like a tank, light weight, best 50mm I ever used
Cons: Little bit "glowy" at wide open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony ILCE 7R

I bought the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 in near mint condition. Last year after I decided to replace my Canon camera system with Sony, I derictly looked for to the internet what is the best lens on budget. The option was Takumar 50mm lens. Got it for $144, then WOW. Its performance is very-very good. This is the best 50mm lens I ever used.
Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!