Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Normal Primes
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Review RSS Feed

91 584,053 Mon September 4, 2017

SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

The Takumar 50mm F1.4 is a fast normal lens produced in two "Super" versions as well as two versions with Super-Multi-Coating.

The first "Super" version (introduced 1964) has 8 lens elements (listed separately). All subsequent versions (including K, M, F and FA K-mount versions) have 7 elements.

The 7 element Takumars have the infrared focusing mark to the left of the numeral '4' on the DOF scale. The 8 element version has the mark to the right. Thanks to Laurentiu Cristofor for pointing this out.

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50, late model. Some have a white dot on the aperture ring at the f/2 position (first photo):
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (late)
M42 Stop-down Pin

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1965 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 (late)
This 7 element version can be distinguished from the 8 element version by the placement of the IR mark between the numerals 8 and 4.
Some of these lenses have a white dot at the F2 position.
1: Super-Takumar with 8 lens elements
2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50 (second photo):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm F1.4
M42 Stop-down Pin

1971 to 1972
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering

SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50, rubberized focusing ring. Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII (third photo):
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4
M42 Open-aperture Metering

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1972 to 1975
SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50
Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 91

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Minnesota

Lens Review Date: July 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: well built, compact, sharp, Bokeh, colors
Cons: CA wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

At first I was looking for the 8 element version of this lens, but decided to settle on this one because it was cheaper. My version is the non-SMC Super Takumar that came right after the 8 element was discontinued with part # 37800.

Unfortunately my copy came with a small spot of Fungus on the inside of the lens elements. After some serious testing it was determined that it did not affect picture quality. Nevertheless, I was thinking about returning the lens due to the fungus which was not mentioned by the seller. That's until I decided to take a few pictures...

Wow ! this lens let me use selective focus like the lenses of old. The Bokeh was very creamy and the transition between focused and unfocused areas was very smooth. The other thing I liked was the color rendition which was very saturated and accurate. Great for flower pictures ! Lucky for me my version did not come with any yellow tint that is reported often for this lens. The focusing ring was buttery smooth, although not as smooth as my 135 f2.5 and the aperture ring was tight and snappy.

Another thing that amazed me was that after f2.8 this lens was razor sharp ! Between f1.4 and f2.8 however, you could produce Studio quality soft-focus, beautiful portraits without any software. Wow, this was too good to be true considering the price I paid for it, so I decided to keep it.

I always wanted a 50mm that would outperform my DA 50mm f1.8 and this lens was certainly it ! Don't get me wrong the DA 50m is a good lens, but in my opinion it lacks that "wow" factor, this is why I seldom use it.

The only problem I had with this lens was trying to focus in dim lighting with a small aperture. With the lens stopped down, the Focus Confirmation sometimes has trouble latching on to a subject.

A few months after purchasing this lens my curiosity drove me to purchase the 8 element version which almost cost me twice as much as this one. I just had to know if everything that was said about the 8 element was true and if I was missing out on something.

To my surprise, I could hardly tell the difference between both versions "so far" ? The 7 element is sharper wide open, but after f2.8, the 8 element is slightly sharper. The Bokeh looks about the same to me, some say the 8 element Bokeh is a little creamier...

Either way you can't go wrong with any of these lenses they are both stellar in a Retro type of way, and highly recommended.

Registered: May, 2015
Lens Review Date: June 26, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh fast lens
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K50

K50 is my first DSLR, so I'm learning. I couldn't resist to get this lens, I have the 8 blade version.
Honestly they are a joy to use, still have to improve my manual focusing capabilities but the shots that I get in focus are really nice IMHO.
This lenses feel very well and handling is great.
This is the flickr album with the shots taken with this lens ( I will add more as time goes )

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The result is just different of my other lenses
Cons: Hard to focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: pentax k5

I'm no expert, but I got the pentax k5 and wanted an old lens.
This lens was highly recommended on the internet, so I went for it. Got me a m42 chinese 5 dollar ring to fit.

The handling of this lens feels "real", it really is "taking pictures", much more then normal zoom lenses. that I liked directly.
The pictures are just great (if I'm able to get the focus good) . I'm in love with the lens because she makes me think.

Every picture is hard to take: change apperture, change iso, change shutterspeed, BUT it's only now that I fully understand
what it is to take a real picture. Modern lenses are not very helpfull for beginners, as you try on manual, but shoot in auto, as it
is to hard to have everything correct. With this lens, ... no excuses, it has to be right.

my advise for beginners "get an old manual lens and you will understand what it is to take pictures"

I still need 10 pictures to get a good focus, so a lot to learn.

Registered: January, 2015
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $144.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, built like a tank, light weight, best 50mm I ever used
Cons: Little bit "glowy" at wide open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony ILCE 7R

I bought the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 in near mint condition. Last year after I decided to replace my Canon camera system with Sony, I derictly looked for to the internet what is the best lens on budget. The option was Takumar 50mm lens. Got it for $144, then WOW. Its performance is very-very good. This is the best 50mm lens I ever used.

Lens Review Date: December 30, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp at f 4
Cons: very small CA's wide open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-x,k200,spotm.,fuji x-e1

very sharp by f 2.8 and extremely sharp still by f4 (between f 4 and 8)

usefull for astro photos

no quality reduction when using 1,7x AF converter

high contrast, very nice colors

highly recommended

Registered: November, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything you want in a 50mm and a bit more
Cons: nada
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: spotmatic , 5d mark 3

I can't say how good s this lens and how perfect the Bokeh is , it is something to be experienced i love the yellow tint that this lens has the look for me is perfect easy to use and sharp as a knife spoted down a bit , i have the smc version too and most say it is sharper and let's in more light there is less character but the sharpness in f1.4 matches my cine primes any day of the week love that lens .

Registered: May, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, IQ, looks good on camera, vintage quality
Cons: very little for a used 40 year old lens
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3

not much more to say about this fantastic lens. I also have the F2 55mm which is a nice lens but this is definitely better. I love using it and it's fun to try out the different combination of manual controls with it. For me sharpness is the most important thing, and this lens does not disappoint. I hope to try it on some astrophotography as the CA seems quite controlled. My current Canon 1.8 lens is great but plasticy and a pain to focus.

Registered: October, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: fast aperture, build quality, sharp, almost no aberrations
Cons: the bokeh is sometimes harsh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8

The Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 (LATE VERSION) is the fastest model in Asahi line of M42 lenses. The lens has its own soul and by and large does not leave to be desired for anything more. Mechanically it's perfect and the only serious optical flaw OF MY COPY OF THE LENS is soft-effect at F/1.4. However I can't say that it greatly spoils the image, in my opinion. Despite the fact that this version of the lens is not equipped with the most advanced optical coatings I can't make any reservations to overall contrast and sharpness of the image (except for F/1.4).

My review of my copy of the lens with shots at different apertures:

On Canon EOS 5D:

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: November 2, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: superb IQ, bokeh, magical color
Cons: MF, CA if no lens hood attached
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

try this out for a few minutes at an outdoor market, really wanted to buy this lens but have no cash with me, when I return the lens was gone
the IQ is superbe, colorful and beatyfull bokeh
MF is the only con of this lens

Update :
After a while, I got the lens, the new 7 elements (rubber focus ring), some people say that the old takumar (8 elements) surpasses the new one, but with this one, I highly doubt that !

As always, images worth a thousand words :

Location: Lost in translation ...

Lens Review Date: November 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, bokeh, fast, build ...
Cons: None really for the performance/price ratio ...
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5, K-r, Pentax film SLR\\\'s

Bonjour,

I have this great 7 element lens, plus the 8 element version. Although I tend to prefer to later, the 7 element is just as good 95+% of the time. Really there is little practical difference between the two in the long run.

Below is an image of my 8 element ST 50/1.4 on the left and my 7 element ST 50/1.4 on the right. This is to help to distinguish appearance traits between the two lenses. Note that the 7 element version is slightly larger in outer diameter than the 8 element version.

Salut, J

Registered: August, 2014
Lens Review Date: October 29, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Solid, smooth focus
Cons: you cant lick the glass due to all the radioactivity.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony NEX 5R

A smashing wee lens that every photographer should try. The phrase "they don't make them like they used to" was actually (well possibly) originally coined when talking about this lens. Its a little tank of a thing that feels and handles beautifully. Acceptably sharp wide open with excellent colours and bokeh. Highly recommended, I prefer it to my OM Zuiko 50mm f1.4 and my Yashica 50mm f1.4.

I think this lens is a 7 element with some 8 element markings must have been a transitional one.

A few photos

Autumn Bokeh by Caledonia84, on Flickr

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 by Caledonia84, on Flickr

Registered: March, 2007
Location: So Cal
Lens Review Date: October 28, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: good build
Cons: only sharp in the center
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 6    Camera Used: k10d, 36mp full frame sony a7r

this review is for the 1972 version: SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50 - rubberized focusing ring.

i got this lens years ago, after listening to hype that it was better than the super tak 8-element version that i had.

it never quite gelled for me on the k10d, and now that i've tested it against other 50mm primes, on the 36mp full frame sony a7r, i can see why.

wide open, at least 50% of the image plane, from the sides in, is not sharp... that improves as it's stopped down, but it never comes close to any of the other 50mm primes that i tested it against.

the center is good, so on a crop sensor camera, you wouldn't notice the sides as much... it has less veiling glow wide open than the super tak mentioned above, which is good.

the most extraordinary thing about it is the warm color, which can probably be attributed to the radioactive element.

at this point i have to wonder if there is a problem with my copy of this lens, but given how good the 8-element super tak is, i'm not spending any more money to find out... i gave it a risky "buy" recommendation, but ymmv.

see full-width landscape crops of this lens, against other 50mm lenses: SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens test

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Tandil, Argentina
Lens Review Date: October 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, Focus Grip, Weight, Bokeh, Color
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon 50D

I have the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 serial number 7401478. Amazing solid peace of metal!
The F has 8 blades and the focus grip is excellent. You feel like you are using a professional lens.
I can say that the Takumar focus system is the better. The precision and smooth... so many better then canon or nikon.
I think this lens has a very particular character. The colors and bokeh are very different and outstanding compared to any new lens.

Here on my 50D, Takumar 50mm f1.4 at 1.4. Just Check the bokeh and sharpness

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Niagara
Lens Review Date: September 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: smooth smooth focus ring, 49mm threads!
Cons: People try to sell them as "rare 8element" and over price

Adapter rings are a P.I.T.A. - that out of the way... Love this lens. Quality built... like a tank. Even my copy in its scratched condition makes wonderful photos, on film and digital. The focus ring is so smooth. Mine has yellowed somewhat too, but the digital camera manages the white balance pretty good considering - to correct I just "cool it off" in LR.

Great bokeh

Excellent sharpness

Good fun on film too

Mine is Super-Takumar Serial #3293050

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: April 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $34.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ethereal, rich, incredible rendering with lovely OOF
Cons: .45m close focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax SP2, Canon 650D, Nikon D600

This is my favorite lens...

I have 30 other really nice, mainly maual focus lenses including a Nikkor 50-1.2, Pancolar 50-1.8, Olympus 50-1.2 and a Takumar 55-1.8....it lives on my Canon 650D

It is so good. The feel of photos taken wide open is unexplainable. There is just something. A glow, a dimension........

I use it often on my Nikons even though it only focuses a couple of metres away, I don't bother doing this with any other M42 lens.

Takumar 50 1.4's are so cheap, it makes no sense to not try one out.
Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!