Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Normal Primes
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Review RSS Feed

91 578,615 Mon September 4, 2017

SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

The Takumar 50mm F1.4 is a fast normal lens produced in two "Super" versions as well as two versions with Super-Multi-Coating.

The first "Super" version (introduced 1964) has 8 lens elements (listed separately). All subsequent versions (including K, M, F and FA K-mount versions) have 7 elements.

The 7 element Takumars have the infrared focusing mark to the left of the numeral '4' on the DOF scale. The 8 element version has the mark to the right. Thanks to Laurentiu Cristofor for pointing this out.

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50, late model. Some have a white dot on the aperture ring at the f/2 position (first photo):
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (late)
M42 Stop-down Pin

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1965 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 (late)
This 7 element version can be distinguished from the 8 element version by the placement of the IR mark between the numerals 8 and 4.
Some of these lenses have a white dot at the F2 position.
1: Super-Takumar with 8 lens elements
2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements

mm
1971 to 1972
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements (this lens)
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering

SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50, rubberized focusing ring. Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII (third photo):
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4
M42 Open-aperture Metering

61.5 x 38.5 mm
1972 to 1975
SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50
Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

2: Super-Takumar with 7 lens elements
3: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar with 7 lens elements
4: SMC Takumar with 7 elements and open aperture metering (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 91

Location: Greensboro,NC
Lens Review Date: March 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great bokeh, built like a tank, large aperture,
Cons: doesn't have autofocus, kind of a pain to use on DSLRs
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K200D, K100D, ME, ME-F

They just don't make lenses like they use to. This thing is probably one of the best prime lenses I own, and I own several pentax and nikon primes. Now if only they could make a lens like this in the K mount with autofocus, that would be great

This lens is great for shooting artsy photographs and shooting in low light. Its pictures just have a different personality and the 3d effect is great.

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: March 10, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, build, IQ
Cons: none so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I tried both the SMC and the Super version. It was hard to say which one is better but eventually I choose the Super Takumar (not prone to yellow decay).

Sharp even wide open (razor from 1.7 onwards). Very nice colors. Smooth bokeh. Extremly solid build: it's a tank. Smooth, silent and handy focus ring, very good for video too.

Luckily I've got a mint collectible version with case, hood, hood case, original multicoated Asahi-Pentax filter and caps, plus three extension tubes, from a local shop.

It beats many modern lenses, especially with the hood, and lets you work in manual mode. With an adapter ring you can usually have focus confirmation, auto ISO, and body stabilization on a modern camera. It is definitely one of the best lens around in this range. I use it everyday indoor and outdoor, while my modern AF 50mm 1.4 waits in its case..

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: January 16, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, image quality, fast
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon EOS 700D

Changing from the Canon Kit lens to this piece of glass and metal just blew me away. It looks almost like new and feels so sturdy and smooth. The images it takes are outstanding.

I still need to upgrade to a focus confirmation adapter which sometimes could be quite helpful.

I haven't indicated a price because that wouldn't be fair. The Tak came mounted on a Spotmatic F accompanied by a cheap Revuenon zoom lens. I paid 50€ (68$) for the whole set and I was able to sell the Revuenon for 30€ (40$). So effectively I've paid 20€ (28$) for a superb 50mm lens. I felt a bit like stealing it from the original owner.

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: August 5, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build, sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-30

i love the sharpness on it, my favorite lens right now...

Registered: July, 2013
Lens Review Date: July 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible quality glass
Cons: Fully Manual
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 5d mark ii

A great all around lens. A must have fro filmmakers or videographers. Here is a video I filmed using just the Super-multi-coated takumar 50mm f1.4.

Registered: April, 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Lens Review Date: May 24, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: feel, bokeh, sharpness, color, contrast, fast, manual focus
Cons: screwmount, no auto exposure on digital body
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

I grew up with this lens on my dad's old ESII. I recently got my first nice digital camera, a K-01, and then just the other day got an M42 adapter ring with no flange so it'll infinity focus. It's truly an amazing lens, not just technically with regards to low distortion, aberration, contrast, bokeh, color, contrast, speed, etc., but this lens, as many have reported, has something magical to it. Something vibrant and lifelike and 3D. Images come alive. It was a hint yellow, but after parking it right up against a fluorescent black-light for a week and a half, it turned clear again. It's just a truly magical and amazing piece of glass. I'm having to get used to the crop factor because now it behaves like a 75mm, but even still, it's just astounding. Hands down the most beautiful looking lens I own.

Here's an old garage door that I found yesterday. I'm including a crop because when I zoomed in, I was amazed at the detail and sharpness. I was probably at f4 or so.

I realize now how spoiled I was all my life shooting film with this lens and it being my only lens all those years.

Location: Ajman, United Arab Emirates
Lens Review Date: May 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, artsy look
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

Build quality is phenomenal. Pictures speak for themselves. DoF is shallow, therefore focusing it is challenging, but attainable (don't blame the lens please), especially if you have poor eyesight. Live View is my savior, with highlighting enabled.

The rare SMC FA f/1.7 I have, is crazy sharp but not artsy, I prefer this lenses artsy look.

Samples

Registered: May, 2012
Lens Review Date: March 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small
Cons: Screwmount
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K10D

Bought at local thrift store from a bin of film lenses and equipment. Offered 10 bucks for the lens and took it home. After cleaning it up quite a bit and being disappointed in it not being an 8 element version I took it out for a few shots. I was surprised at how sharp it was, and decided to keep it. Best money i've ever spent. If you come across any super takumar lens I would recommend picking it up, you can never go wrong. Plus they will mount on anything with the right adapter. Even my weird Mamiya ZE-X.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Lens Review Date: February 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bright in the viewfinder, nicely weighted, smooth, great image quality
Cons: Requires very precise focus screen adjustment wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-7, KX, SPII, SP1000, H3V

Excellent lens with great image rendering on film or digital.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Pamulang, Tangerang
Lens Review Date: January 14, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp.. sharp (did I said it twice?) oh yeah, I love this super-tak
Cons: build design, bit flare.. rest are minor.. ;)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5 + 550D

One of mine has yellowing optic due to aging, some said it's lathan material or something else, others are nice. But I'm very much enjoying the yellow effect specially on oldies scenery. Optically this lens near to perfect, sharp at max wide open, joy to handle (on apsc sensor or smaller), just a bit hard to handle it when use on full frame (even you use AF chip adapter). This lens has to be "a must" in collector list.

some sample shot using eos series:

Registered: September, 2012
Lens Review Date: December 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, color, metal build, bokeh
Cons: M42 (need a mount...), hard to focus with build-in focus screen
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Canon 500D, Pentax K5

Used it sine 1 year ago with my first camera, Canon 500D and then K5.
Great sharpness, colorful. Build like a tank and lovely coating.
But on my K5, i can't focus base on K5's focus system. Although the "focus dot" is turn on and the "focus tone" is pop, i still have rotate the focus ring abit for correct focus.

Location: London
Lens Review Date: December 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, superb bokeh, price
Cons: NONE
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5iis

My good friend (fellow PEntaxian) let me borrow this for a week. It is sharp wide open, with wonderful bokeh that matches my 50mm f1.7. I love having the extra light gathering capability, and the sharpness even at f1.4 is better than the 50mm f1.7 wide open. Even more of a bargain than the f1.7, simply because its sharper, faster, and better in every way. Superb value. If you think the 50/1.7 is good, try this beauty.

Location: Southern California
Lens Review Date: November 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: BEAUTIFUL bokeh, great build
Cons: nothing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: t2i/5D Mark II

For the price, this lens is as good as you can get.

I was astonished when the camera store clerk said it was $50.00
I'd recommend getting an upper division adaptor. I got the cheap Fotodiox one and it isn't that great. I have trouble focusing to infinity with it, but using the converter with other Super Takumar lenses (the 28mm f/3.5) focusing to infinity works just fine.

Location: Cosenza

Lens Review Date: November 26, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, colors, contrast, handling
Cons: borders not awfully sharp (but still very good)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon Eos 5D Mark II

EDIT: now you can see how it performs compared to its ancestor with the 8-elements design, the Pentax M Macro and a few others 50s (Contax Makro Planar, Minolta MD, Olympus OM Zuiko):

Excellent lens, costs less than a fast food meal for two but puts to shame many modern competitors.

More, I think the Takumars have the smoothest focus and aperture rings of all brands, Leica included.

The only thing I don't like of this lens is that it's not his older brother, the 8 element version. Family, family…

I compared the two of them against each other and the 8 elements turned out to be a bit but notably sharper in the center, and much much sharper in the corners.

For Canon 5D users this version will be a better bet, though, because it doesn't hit the mirror, not even at the infinity stop.

UPDATE: Just something I noted in real life pictures but I forgot to add: the Super-Takumar (8-elements) has a lot more depth of field and each stop than the S-M-C Takumar (7-elements). Focused at infinity at f/1.4, for example, the Super-Takumar will render objects at 15-20 meters soft but sharp enough, while the 7-elements will render the same objects really blurry. The difference is definitely here, and it’s striking. I have to yet measure this for the S-M-C, but the Super-Takumar at f/1.4 and at close distance (2-3 meters) has a depth or field of maybe 4-5 millimeters! The S-M-C is also much warmer (and my sample has not yellowed)

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Belo Horizonte
Lens Review Date: October 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp, Good contrast, Great colors,
Cons: no
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon T3

I won this lens from a friend who paid a pittance for it, the lens is perfectly wonderful colors, contrast, she has a no so easy in 1.4, and well built it, handle it is very good, the link below for a photo took with smc takumar 50mm f/1.4. an awesome piece of glass

Add Review of SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!