Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro Review RSS Feed

13 85,279 Sat December 15, 2018

Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro

This is a 100mm screwmount macro lens. This Super-Multi-Coated lens has open aperture metering with the Spotmatic F, ES and ES II cameras.

It shares the optical design with the Bellows version.

Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4
M42
M42 Open-aperture Metering

65.5 x 81.5 mm
1972 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/100
Full aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ES2
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-13 of 13

Registered: August, 2014
Lens Review Date: December 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: smooth focusing, great colour, solidly made
Cons: no real cons just have to work within the contraints
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9

spending some time with the m42 smc 100mm f4 under windy conditions not ideal at all but well i had an urge to do something, i like this lens alot actually i like all my pentax m42 lenses so far. so you could call me a fanboy
here's three photos from today that i liked

Registered: August, 2018
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap and not heavy
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Recent lens bug and bought around 15+ m42's and this is one of the best investments I made. Wish this was 1:1

Some samples from my backyard
5dm2 with adapter, AV , manual

IMG_1326 by Rajesh Veerepalli, on Flickr

IMG_1324 by Rajesh Veerepalli, on Flickr

IMG_1318 by Rajesh Veerepalli, on Flickr

IMG_1340 by Rajesh Veerepalli, on Flickr

IMG_1303 by Rajesh Veerepalli, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: December 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, cheap
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k10D, KX

I know my English is bad.
i alwways use it with k10D to take photos of flowers, insect, something is tiny.
When i take a photo of insects, i use telemore converter x2. It's so amazing.

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Lens Review Date: March 16, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, SOLID, COLOR ACCURACY
Cons: heavy, contrast is less than Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, rubber focus grip will deteriorate
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, sharp, no aberrations on APS-C
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

The Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 1:4/100 is an excellent macro lens. Mechanically and optically the lens does not leave to be desired for anything more - the lens is ergonomic, easy to use and very sharp all over the APS-C frame at any given aperture. The background blur is soft and smooth even taking into account that this is not a fast lens. There are no visible optical aberrations with the APS-C sensor. The maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 is the same as that of most of modern macro lenses with similar focal lengths of 90 mm.

If you will ask me how can you compare this lens with 1:4/50 model, then, in my opinion, the image quality that can be obtained when using these macro lenses is more or less the same. Thanks to twice the minimum focusing distance the 1:4/100 model is better suited for professional macro shooting: the housing of the lens does not cast a shadow on the subject and is far enough to not to scare the insects and make them run away from the frame.

My review of my copy of the lens with shots at different apertures:

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: April 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, Color Rendition, Build
Cons: No true macro (1:1) without tubes
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 650d, K1000

I found this lens at a local flea market for an incredible price, but I gladly would have paid many times what I did. It is incredibly sharp wide open and produces beautiful bokeh even when stopped down a bit.

It is a very flexible piece of glass, with great manual focusing and good glare/flare control for its age. When you nail the focus, the lens resolves spectacularly (go count the hairs on the bee or spider in my photo, below).

I do wish that the lens could produce true 1:1 macro images, but in truth with how sharp it is, you can crop to 1:1 safely. Or, of course, you can use tubes to achieve the desired effect.

Full resolution photos can be found on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96167126@N03/

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Oslo
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, color, handling
Cons: F4, F4, did I mention its F4?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

My copy of this wonderful lens is pretty worn but it still works wonderfully, smooth focus ring and very good IQ. Very good lens if you need to do some macro work. The downside is that it's f4 which I'm not a huge fan of, if I did alot of macro shooting then I would probably consider a faster lens since it's so dark in the viewfinder at f4.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Ohio, USA/ India
Lens Review Date: June 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, Build, throw
Cons:

This is the only macro lens I own currently. It is just a fantastic lens. I have shot a lot of butterflies and orchids with this lens. Negative - It is not a 1:1 macro.

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/9678931@N07/6927268905/]IMGP2116[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/9678931@N07/]arvindh76[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank"> IMGP2116 by arvindh76, on Flickr

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/9678931@N07/6781147784/]IMGP2124[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/9678931@N07/]arvindh76[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank"> IMGP2124 by arvindh76, on Flickr

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Lexington, KY

Lens Review Date: July 14, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tiny, fantastic IQ overall
Cons: Only 1:2, only f/4, lowish large-scale contrast wants PP
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This is for a "user" SMC version -- definitely rough external condition, but apparently flawless in operation. When I posted this, I had only played with it for an hour or so on 14MP APS-C. After a month, my feelings about it are the same only stronger; it would be the perfect photos-for-eBay lens (ideal for product photography).

This lens is tiny for a 100mm macro, and I get the feeling that f/4 was at least in part a compromise to make it so portable. A macro lens that isn't with you doesn't help much, so that's not a bad design decision. No macro is fast enough to compete with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, and f/4 is still fine for portraits, etc.

Macros with this lens are simply excellent, even wide open:

Bokeh are quite smooth and sharpness is outstanding. Colors are a bit flat and large-scale contrast is low, but that is trivially fixed in PP (as I did for the above image) and it actually makes it a little less likely a color channel will saturate.

Up to head-and-shoulders portraits it seems to maintain the IQ, although by infinity it's less impressive (more like an 8 or 9). No flare has been seen, which makes sense given the recessing of the front element. Focus was consistently easier to get right with this lens than with most of my other manual lenses, I'm not sure why.

Overall, it was worth waiting for a $100 user to try this, but it competes well at $200 with other macros I have seen. Strongly recommended.

Location: L.A.

Lens Review Date: March 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tak-sharp, built to last, smooth focus, great bokeh
Cons: hard to find, recessed lens means more prone to haze/fungus if not taken care of

This is my favorite macro lens by far. I also own the Pentax 50mm 1:1 macro, which is also a great lens, but to be perfectly honest, I actually prefer this 100mm for the simple reason that it's a 100mm lens, which means that I can use far more of the available light because the lens isn't right on top of the subject being photographed... not to mention that it's nearly impossible to get a decent macro of anything that moves with a 50mm macro lens. At 100mm, you're far enough away to keep those bugs and birds and other critters from getting too jumpy. So it more than compensates for being 1:2, which to my mind has never actually been a reason to dismiss a macro lens. You'll be amazed just how much detail you can capture at 1:2... more than close enough for me.

As for its legendary sharpness, no argument here. Equals if not betters my 50mm, and this lens will be around long after many others have been relegated to the recycle bin. Can't recommend this lens highly enough. Good luck finding one in good condition, however.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Tustin, CA
Lens Review Date: April 22, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp wide open, light, contrasty, good bokeh, good handling, good build, doesn't block built in flash
Cons: only 1:2, relatively slow at f4, kind of expensive

This lens is a great macro lens. It's sharp wide open, and manually focusing is a pleasure. It's all metal, with rubber on the focus ring, but is still light weight. It only has 6 diaphragm blades, but you won't see that in the bokeh, which is superb. Like all m42 lenses, it's fully manual, not even auto aperture, but luckily it has a A/M switch that makes operation a bit easier.

The main problems with this lens are that it's only f4, and 1:2. With macro work, I stop the lens down to like f11-16, but most other macros are f2.8, so you can also use them for portraits.

Also, You need extension tubes to get real 1:1, which is kind of annoying, since if you want to take pictures of something bigger, you gotta take out the extension tubes.

Lastly, at a street price of about $150 USD, I feel it's pretty expensive for a 1:2.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Lisle, Ontario
Lens Review Date: April 19, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice sharp lens, even wide open
Cons: It's only 1:2 macro, not 1:1

This is one of my favorite lenses that I currently own. Takes nice sharp shots. Nice accurate focus. Been using it with extension tubes, and still works nicely. Would be nice if 1:1 macro, but for the money, it's an excellent lens.

Registered: May, 2007
Location: Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
Lens Review Date: December 27, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp. Excellent build quality.
Cons: Some lack of contrast under rare conditions.

Pro:
This is a beautiful lens --- it's extremely sharp, well built, and has decent bokeh characteristics. A real gem, especially if you use it with a split-prism focussing screen.

Con:
Every lens will have some drawbacks, and this lens is no exception.
1. Its max aperture is f/4.
2. I have noticed some lack of contrast under certain (rare) conditions, but this is easily rectified by modifying the position of your lights or the lens in your setup. Alternatively, you can just adjust the curves and levels in Photoshop for even better contrast control.
3. The lens barrel extends when macro focussing.
4. It only does 1:2 macro, not 1:1.

Despite these drawbacks, this is a fantastic lens, and one worth owning.
Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!