Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 120mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

7 45,689 Thu December 17, 2020

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 120mm F2.8

This telephoto lens came in one version only.

M42
Automatic
M42 Open-aperture Metering

1972 to 1976
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2.8/120
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 120mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Registered: November, 2020
Location: Kyoto
Lens Review Date: December 17, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: unique, sharp, fun
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7ii, Novoflex Adapter

120mm is indeed a unique focal length, but it is very versatile, and there are definitely situations where I have found it to be ideal. For example, I nicknamed this the 'dolphin-show' lens because it is the perfect size for the dolphin show at my local city aquarium. I sit perhaps 20~30 meters away from the dolphin-show pool and with this lens I can comfortably catch the dolphins in mid-air. With my 200mm SMC Takumar I found it much harder to focus, frame and time my shots, and the results are never as good as the SMC 120.

Aside from the unique focal length, this lens stands out among the Takumars for its sharp images and beautiful 3D Pop.

I also enjoy this lens for street photography, portraits, and for Japanese festivals.
The lens itself is small, but being a short telephoto it allows you to capture your subject from a decent distance.
It is especially useful for situations where you are close enough to the scene to see what is going on, but want to remain discrete.

As is the case with most Takumars, the build is exceptional, and the focus ring buttery smooth.
This is a very fun lens to use!
Highly recommended.

Registered: July, 2015
Location: Durham
Lens Review Date: April 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact and easy to carry. A Joy to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax-k3

This lens is excellent in image quality and can be compared with legendary Takumars like SMC 85 1.8,Super Takumar 50 1.4 and Super Multi Coated Takumar 135 f2.5 (6 Elements) Version.Not a common focal length to use and probably that is the only reason it is not so famous or widely used.You find very few images on the internet when searched for this lens .Hopefully I'll add more images hereafter one my flickr page(link below).

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: May 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very natural and great color, sharp enough
Cons: little CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

very nice lens, great for portraits, smooth bokeh
with good light its very sharp even at 2.8
here you can see samples at 2.8 girl and at 4 flower

IMGP3650 by andreytrn, on Flickr

IMGP3784 by andreytrn, on Flickr

Location: Southern California

Lens Review Date: February 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: durable, bokeh is excellent, not bad for macro shots
Cons: not as sharp as I hoped
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: 5D Mark II

Found this lovely lens for a mere $40.00
It is durable, has a nice weight, great bokeh, and works like magic for macro shots.

Focus is nice and smooth. It's rare to stumble upon a telephoto lens that is f/2.8, so I'd get this one if I was trying to save money. The 120mm is strange choice for a full frame sensor, it's close up, but not enough to get extremely far shots.

Bluff Wind by MrSatmary, on Flickr

Bench by MrSatmary, on Flickr

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Clermont-Ferrand, France
Lens Review Date: May 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great for portraiture (both woman and man)
Cons: Not extremly sharp at f/2.8

Soft enough for woman portraiture at f/2.8 (but it might lack of sharpness for very detailed objects), sharp enough for men portraiture when stopped (f/4 is enough). Bokeh is rather smooth and S-M-C coatings are efficient.
As the 105/2.8 and 135's are often cheaper, I would recommend it only to some one who really need it (for its caracteristics) or a collector.
Some portraits with it : http://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-12028.html

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Kansas City
Lens Review Date: October 26, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, Build Quaity, Size
Cons:

I have owned this lens for about a year now, and I have to tell you, it's probably my favorite Takumar. I have an M42 135mm 2.5 Super Takumar as well, and the 120 2.8 makes the 135 look like garbage on my K200D (Perhaps I have a bad copy of the 135). The 120 2.8 is a lot smaller and lighter than the 135 2.5, and the focal distance is not that much different, so I may be getting rid of the later.

This lens is a decent length for outdoor portrait work, and your subject is sharp even at 2.8. The bokeh from this lens is also very nice.

As the previous reviewer stated, this lens is not too common. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one, I am sure that you'll like it.

Registered: April, 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Classic Takumar build, IQ and rendering
Cons: A bit too long for portrait, too short for bird photography
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

Another classic long S-M-C Takumar lens. The all metal build quality is very nice, and the lens feels like it is fresh from the factory mounted on my K20D.

This lens is quite fast for its focal length at 2.8, and the photos is shoots wide open are not overly soft at all. By f4 or 5.6 the lens is very sharp and extremely good looking. I think my favorite bit about all the S-M-C Taks is the color rendering. The colors are just beautiful, bokeh is buttery soft and often yields an amazingly 3-d quality to foreground subjects.

I would say this lens would be very suited for longer distance street photography, maybe some portrait photography, and close subject stuff like flowers and butterflies.

I will say the only detraction for this lens is the focal length on a DSLR.... just a bit too long for portrait work and too short for wildlife work (except maybe the zoo).

This lens is rare, but if you can find one it is a very worthy addition to your kit as a long, fast prime! Love that Takumar look!!
Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 120mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!