Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 Review RSS Feed

22 143,561 Wed November 7, 2018

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8

This is the fastest of the 85mm screwmount lenses.

The original version, which is pictured, was introduced in 1960, while the super-multi-coated version was introduced 12 years later, in 1972, and is of a different optical construction.

First model (see first lens photo and first lens diagram):
Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8
M42
Semi-automatic, 9 blades
M42 Stop-down Pin

1960 to 1963
Auto-Takumar 1:1.8/85
342, 43420
1: Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8, 5 optical elements (this lens)
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm F1.8, 6 optical elements

Second model (see second set of photos and second lens diagram):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm F1.8
M42
M42 Open-aperture Metering

1972 to 1976
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85
This lens supports open aperture metering with the Spotmatic F, ES and ESII.

1: Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8, 5 optical elements
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm F1.8, 6 optical elements (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Location: Skåne, Sweden
Lens Review Date: November 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, build, overall image quality, pleasure to use
Cons: Only minor, see review
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fuji X-T2, Pentax K-3 II

This review is for a excellent condition Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm F1.8 bought second-hand in Sweden.

PROS
  • Rendering - transitions, bokeh, contrast
  • Compact size
  • Build quality
  • Manual focus feeling
  • Flare resistance

CONS
  • Some aberrations (very little being 45 year old)
  • All manual comes with some limitations when using on modern bodies, e.g. lack of full-aperture metering/focusing

I USE IT FOR
  • Portraits (full body, half-body, headshots)
  • General short telephoto (where AF is not needed)

My main area in photography is portraits, mainly natural light outdoors or speedlights in studio. I've mainly been using this lens on my Fujifilm X-T2 together with a Mitakon Lens Turbo II (Zhong Yi Optics). I find the focus peaking in the EVF is superior to the OVF on my K-3 II for use with manual glass (especially with M42 lacking aperture control from modern bodies). This review could be quite short - the lens simply performs remarkably well and has no major weakness. I would be happy with the performance even from a modern lens, and keeping in mind it is around 45 years old at the time of this review it is simply spectacular. It is clearly a portrait lens, with good-enough but not overly much contrast or sharpness. Rendering is smooth, background is smooth with a bit of character (I like a bit of swirlyness so could be even more from my point of view). Flare resistance is good - quite modern performance with the S-M-C coating. It is a joy to use and only issues would be connected to the M42 mount on adapters, making e.g. full-aperture metering and focusing impossible. I will let the images tell the story.

Fujifilm X-T2, Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 85mm F1.8 (with Lens Turbo II) 1/2700 sec at f/1.8, ISO 200.

Fujifilm X-T2, Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 85mm F1.8 (with Lens Turbo II) 1/2400 sec at f/1.8, ISO 200.

Fujifilm X-T2, Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 85mm F1.8 (with Lens Turbo II) 1/1000 sec at f/1.8, ISO 200.

My pictures on flickr with this lens

Registered: August, 2017
Lens Review Date: October 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, build quality, colours..
Cons: ??
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K3II; K1

Used this lens first on my APS-C Camera, a K3II. I was very confident. Then I changed to FF - K1. I feared a loss of quality because of the higher requirements due to a FF Camera. This was needless. The lens behaves even better on the K1. The beautifull bokeh and the high sharpness got more beautiful and sharper
Incredible lens. Highly recomended.

Registered: September, 2016
Lens Review Date: October 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality,built,bokeh,sharpnes,feel
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3 prestige Edition,canon EOS 1DS 2, LX,K2DmD,Spotmatik F

If you searching for a portrait lens, this is the one ...
On all my Slr and Dslr it behaves so nice and sharp - none other expect
from a lens more than 50 years old !
Even on my Canon 1DS mark 2 it delivers exremly beautiful pictures .
It is stellar for mulitshot - Panoramas, and this blows You away !!!
Highly recomended and truely a ceeper !
My K 85/1,8 is par on this , but easier to fit on Pentax Bayonet Models and a little bit smaller in sice .

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Almelo, The Netherlands

Lens Review Date: July 5, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Excellent sharpness, lovely bokeh, great (micro-) contrast, and ofcourse the build
Cons: Heavy because of full-metal and lot of glass?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 5D mkII

I have two versions; the Auto-Takumar 85mm f/1.8 and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm f/1.8, both in mint condition. I can't say that one is better than the other, they have their own qualities.
The Auto-Takumar can give you lovely soft bokeh and nice flares that gives the photo that wow-effect and still have enough contrast, sharpness and nice color rendition even at wide open. The bokeh is great but not so soft as with the Auto-Takumar. Stopped down they are getting close but still have their own character.
The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm f/1.8 is sharper, has more contrast and color even wide open, it's a different lens in optical design, it's multi-coated so has more contrast and flare-resistance. Both lenses has that typical feeling when you are handleing the lens ...... focussing and apeture setting is a joy you can hardly explain, you have to experience yourself (and it will be your reference and standard of how lenses should be).
The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm f/1.8 has a special place in my favourit Takumar-Lens-collection, it's one of the best they ever made. When you have one, it's hard to sell, that's why they are rare and relatively expensive. So ....... buy it when you see a fine one and you will not regret it.

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: March 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $215.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, even wide open. Great colors. Smooth bokeh.
Cons: Screw mount?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

I got my S-M-C Takumar 1.8/85 in a box lot, with caps, case and hood. Looked unused. Let me start by saying I have a number of the old Takumars and it is one of my favorite lenses to use on APS-C as a short tele. I am anticipating using it on the new Pentax K-1 to use it in the way it was intended. Given it is so sharp on the K-5, the K-1 performance should be delicious.

This is my gallery of some samples:

It is sharp wide open and gets better and better peaking around f/5.6. Use the lens hood, it makes a difference, though the S-M-C provides very good flare resistance. I use it for sunset time lapse photography, so straight into the sun, and it performs very well. Bokeh is really creamy and very pleasing.

Registered: October, 2013

Lens Review Date: May 3, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Smooth, Sharp, Bokeh, B&W
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This review is for the unique Auto-Takumar 85/1.8.
My Favourite Lens.
It's a pleasure to use.
It always returns great pictures.
It adds a certain "Je ne sais pas" to your photography.
The bokeh is beautiful and smooth.
It's brilliant at Black & White.
These are rare, so if you find one, Buy it!
A few pics taken wide open.

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: February 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: tank of a lens, extremely sharp wide open
Cons: some might find it a little heavy...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: GH4 + Focal Reducer

i have a smc version. what a brilliant lens.

i got mine pretty cheap on ebay in a mint condition and still cant believe that this lens was made 43 years ago. i didnt have another 85mm on hand to compare, but the best ones out there cannot be better than this. seriously. its extremely sharp wide open, the bokeh is so creamy and i just love every picture it produces. give this to a monkey and he could snap a great picture with it.

The first picture is the original jpg straight out of camera all the way zoomed out and the second one is at 100% native pixels. you can actually see the world in the eye of our cat and yeah, this was shot wide open. this picture shows what i mean. its just an unedited quickly snapped picture of our stupid cat and like magic it looks great.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Denmark
Lens Review Date: July 31, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, bokeh and image quality
Cons: Not many
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20D and K-5

The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm F1.8 deserves all the praise it can get. It is simply a great lens and certainly one of the best Takumars. I have both this lens and the slightly older Super-Takumar 85mm F1.9. The S-M-C Tak is both sharper and more flare-resistant, so I would classify it as the better lens.

Examples taken with the K20D - almost wide-open:
#1

#2

Examples taken with the K-5:
#3 - wide-open

#4 - approx. F4-5.6

Addendum: The older Auto-Takumar 85mm should have a thread of its own. It's a much older lens, and the optical formula is different.

Location: California

Lens Review Date: May 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very similar to the SMC Tak 85/1.9
Cons: Wide open not fully sharp
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

I reviewed the 85/1.9, please refer to it on this forum. Here are some photos I took with both lenses, the /1.8 and the /1.9. No PP has been added, they are SOOC. You decide!

Photos were taken with a Pentax K-3 on a tripod, AV mode, ISO 100.

WIDE OPEN:

SMC-Takumar85mmf1.8@f8-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

@F/11

SMC-Takumar85mmf1.9@f11-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMC-Takumar85mmf1.8@f11-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Update: December 27, 2014:

I had not used this lens for a while and found that it is indeed spectacular for low light and indoor portraits, also excellent for out doors. Here are some samples with this lens:

SMCTakumar85-1.9-RedHair2-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar85-1.9-Bass-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar85-1.9-Santa-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: March 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, color redintion, bokeh.
Cons: None - very rare
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Beautiful piece of metal and optical glass and a joy to use.
Pure pleasure to see the results.
Get one if you can and wish.

Here is an interesting page about 85mm lenses:

Loyal Site Supportaxian

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent color rendition, fast, sharp, great mechanical feel
Cons: price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 6    Camera Used: Multiple Canon EOS

My copy has fungus and suffers from reduced global contrast, particularly at f1.8, so my review reflects that. (I'll update this review once it's CLA'd.) Despite the fungus, it's still a very strong performer and it holds up quite well to the merciless acid test of astrophotography. It has a little more CA than I'd like to see, but it's not excessive.

I own numerous M42 taks (most of the line) and so can accurately compare with the others. Many people have commented on the excellent sharpness of the lens, and I agree it's quite sharp. To me, though, the most outstanding feature is the really excellent color rendition. Colors look natural and balanced, especially compared to many other lenses, including those from the modern era. I'm intrigued by what makes the color look so much better, so I plan to set up a spectrograph to measure it against some others. I'll put that in the separate posting, of course.

The combo of outstanding color rendition, combined with high sharpness and good bokeh (and of course the legendary takumar mechanical feel) makes this a very enjoyable lens to use.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: May 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: a lovely object that takes beautiful pictures
Cons: strongly hexagonal bokeh
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Canon 5D mkIII

Awesome lens. It feels great the second you pick it up. On the camera it is even better, especially on a full frame where the field of view is really nice not just for portraits but for slightly wider mid-shots too, where its absolute sharpness really shines and often gives pictures a 3D kick. I concur will all the other positve qualities already mentioned. It absolutely blows away my other 85 - a Jupiter 9 - in every way, except that my Jupiter 9 has a lovely circular diaphram. The Tak gets strong hexagonal bokeh stopped down. Thats just a preference thing, and it occassionally makes me still reach for the Jup.

The long focus throw sometimes means a missed shot or too, but that seems pretty normal at this focal length.

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Singapore
Lens Review Date: January 16, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $245.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even wide open w great color rendering and smooth bokeh. Built to outlast me, buttery smooth focusing, the best manual lens I''ve ever had, and I've had a lot.
Cons: The price is a bit on the high side. But It'd cost a lot more if it's made to the same standard with the samematerial.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I've had the lens before, but really didn't use it much except a few quick snaps on my kids. Maybe It's because my previous copy was too new (like brand new), I dared not scratch or add any mark on it. Sold it because I didn't want to baby it. Just got another well used copy, man, I'm glad I did. I decide to sell the A*85 but keep this one. It's smaller and lighter than the A*85, no rubber focusing ring, optically almost as good, mechanically even better, and of course cost a lot less.

I'm stil keeping the FA77 for its size and AF, but I don't think I'd have as much fun when using it. Now I'm in the process of selling all my manual lenses but keep this one alone.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Lens Review Date: October 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Sharpness, Bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I acquired the lens through a member here on the MarketPlace.

For a 50 year old lens, its wonderful. Excellent Image Quality, sharpness, contrast and coloring. Build and glass are superb. Ability to focus even with my old eyes is excellent.

The only slight negative it has, is having to extract the M42 adapter from the camera in the dark when I shoot in the evening. So I am considering just removing the clip on the adapter, so that it will just stay on the lens.

This lens also compares very favorably with the Contax Carl Zeiss 85mm f2.8 Sonnar T* (mount changed from C/Y to K). Slightly different characteristics.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Lens Review Date: February 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: excellent IQ, compact, fast and well built
Cons: rare and expensive, manual focus

This review is for the later SMC version.

I bought this lens after first considering a new FA77mm Limited and a used A*85mm F1.4. I received my lens in the mail yesterday and after only a few test shots decided that I made a good decision. I am extremely happy with it!

This lens is 90% as good as an A series 85mm F1.4 for a third of the price. It is also lighter and much more compact.

IQ is excellent: it is fast, sharp (even wide open) and has a very smooth, pleasing bokeh.

It is extremely well built and despite being almost 40 years old my well cared for example makes contemporary plastic lenses look and feel like toys by comparison.

I don't believe the screw mounting is much of an inconvenience. Stop down metering is no problem with fast lenses and aperture priority operation is easy and intuitive.

In my opinion, it is easier to use fast screw mount lenses on a DSLR than later K-mount lenses without an 'A' position (ie. using the green button method in manual mode).

At F1.8 the lens gives sharp and surprisingly contrasty and colourful images even in low light. Bokeh is smooth and pleasing but focus can be hard to get right especially due to the very narrow depth-of-field. In such cases a photo's success can depend on where the point of best focus is placed. (In the images I have attached, I focussed on the eyes which I believe gave the best effect.)

All photos taken with K10D at 400 ISO:

F1.8, 1/60s

100% crop: (best focus on left eye)

F1.8, 1/60s

100% crop:

F2.8, 1/50s

100% crop

F2.8, 1/50s

All in all a fun lens and one to admire and enjoy for its build quality even when not taking photos with it.

If there is a fault with this lens, it is the (increasing) cost and, due to their age and rarity, the difficulty in finding a good one (without scratches, fungus etc) for a reasonable price. They are fast becoming collectors' items and the fact that screw mount lenses are not limited to Pentax cameras only (but also Canons and Nikons) will only elevate prices higher.
Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!