Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

35 171,726 Thu January 25, 2018

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8

This telephoto lens exists with the same optical formula in one Takumar version, two Super-Takumar versions and one Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version. The Takumar has a preset aperture, the Super-Takumars have the stop-down pin, and the Super-Multi-Coated version supports open aperture metering with the Spotmatic F, ES and ESII.

The two Super-Takumar versions differ cosmetically: The early one has fine ribs on the aperture ring, the later one has coarse ribs (as shown on the first photo).

This set of four versions was preceded by an earlier set of two lenses: A Takumar with preset aperture and an Auto-Takumar. These lenses had a different optical formula (four elements instead of five). Please see the separate database entry for this set.

The five element 105 mm F2.8 Takumar:
Takumar 105mm F2.8 (model 2)
Preset
M42 Plain

1961 to 1963
Takumar 1:2.8/105
349, 43490
All black

2: Auto-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 1
3: Takumar 105mm F2.8, all black, different optics than the predecessors, 5 lens elements (this lens)

The early Super-Takumar (last photo):
Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8 (early)
M42 Stop-down Pin

59.5 x 63.8 mm
1963 to 1964
Super-Takumar 1:2.8/105
350, 43500
Last year of production uncertain

2: Auto-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 1
4: Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 3, fine ribs on aperture ring (this lens)

The late Super Takumar (first photo):
Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8 (late)
M42 Stop-down Pin

59.5 x 63.8 mm
1964 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:2.8/105
First year of production uncertain

4: Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 3, fine ribs on aperture ring
5: Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 3, coarse ribs on aperture ring (this lens)

The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (second through fourth photo):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105mm F2.8
M42 Open-aperture Metering

59.5 x 64 mm
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2.8/105
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

5: Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 3, coarse ribs on aperture ring
6: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105mm F2.8, same optics as no. 3, but multi-coated (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 35

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: January 25, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Beautiful build, silky smooth focusing and aperture ring, superb rendering, beautiful bokeh
Cons: Not very sharp wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K200D, K3, M42 film cameras

I bought this lens to cover the short telephoto gap in my M42-mount lenses (between 55mm and 135mm) but I haven't used it that much (as I use M42 gear in general much less than I use bayonet-mount gear).

Of all my lenses this is probably the most pleasurable to use - the focus and aperture rings are butter-smooth. Build quality is superb.

On film I've found no problems in sharpness even wide open, but film is far more forgiving in this regard than digital is. On digital I've found it quite soft wide open and doesn't get really sharp until f/5.6. Even so, the wonderful rendering of this lens makes up for a good part of what it lacks in sharpness. The bokeh is beautiful - far and away the best of all the lenses I've used. I've used it quite a bit with extension tubes to photograph flowers and given the bokeh and how well it does these photos, I really should give it more use for portraits.

All-in-all I like this lens a lot and should use it more. As long as you're not looking for extreme sharpness wide open, this lens is wonderful, especially for those who appreciate using beautifully designed and built tools.

Film:

Digital, no extension tubes:

IMGP7751a

IMGP0430a Tak_105

Location: Bangkok
Lens Review Date: January 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, good contrast and color rendition
Cons: none though a closer MFD would've been nice
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7

This is a high quality lens as one would expect of an m42 Takumar. I have an all-black preset version with five elements, eight aperture blades, and a 49mm filter size (so a different version to those listed here). I like the lens and think it has some advantages over the 135mm Takumars, i.e. it's smaller, is half a stop faster, and has a minimum focus distance of four feet as opposed to six or seven. I also think the focal length is a bit more versatile with its somewhat wider angle of view. I don't find the lens soft wide-open but the plane of focus for an object close to the camera might be shallow and require careful focusing. It would be interesting to see a comparison of photos taken with the five element and photos taken with the four element versions. No doubt there's improvement with the change of the lens formula and the addition of another element, else they wouldn't have changed it.

The first photo was taken at f2.8 and MFD for the light colored leaves. The second was taken hand-held hanging out of a window at f9 or f11. The amount of detail visible in the RAW files is amazing.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Colorado

Lens Review Date: May 11, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $34.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, small, 49mm thread, sharp, good focus grip, fast, great length for portraits
Cons: Really, none
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-3, Minolta Alpha 9, Canon EOS 3, MZ-S

Wow. What a lens. This is up there with the 77mm in terms of sharpness and color quality. The first digital shots I took with this simply blew me away with pixel-level sharpness and exceptional micro contrast. The only category I marked down from 10 was Bokeh, which I gave an 8. Here are two images, wide open and at f/5.6. These were taken on film with a Minolta Alpha 9.

At f/2.8, the lens is a bit softer than I'd really like, but at f/4.5, 5.6, and even 8 the lens is staggering. The bokeh wide-open is beautiful. Stopped down, it's very nice. In terms of portrait lenses, you can do a lot worse for the price. I managed a great deal on mine, at $34, but the typical price of these (in mid-2016) is $120-160. Even at $160, it's a great bargain. The lens performs well, isolates subjects well, is sharper than a Groucho Marx insult, and takes great photos.

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Florida
Lens Review Date: February 7, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $149.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great all-round portrait and mid-tele lens
Cons: soft a most open ... but it is supposed to be!
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5, SpotMatic II

I bought this SMC Takumar lens when I first started Black & White portraiture in 1974-1975 while doing theatrical work: actor portfolios, resume headshots, stage set documentation, etc., basically for the price of the film and processing, just to get the work. I used it quite a bit with film and was never dissatisfied with the fact that I wanted an 85mm or 135mm but had to settle for the 105mm as it cost less - but that was BIG money for me in those days.

Now, with my used K-5 and pro cleaned sensor and mirrors, it again has new life after sitting in my gadget bag for about 20 years. I am still not disappointed, particularly as I can now easily preview the manual focus/stop down metered shots I have been taking. I started off documenting Occoquan, VA about 40 years ago; all the evidence of which has long ago evaporated. Am back doing it again, off and on. And I can say this lenses does not disappoint. Only the 85mm is likely to give better results. I PP a little here and there but mostly for my mood or atmosphere vice to fix the shot.

This legacy era glass IS AT LEAST the rating average given here, if not more.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: color, build, focusing
Cons: sharpness in wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5, A7

same as many Super/SMC Takumar lenses, it has metal body, good build quality, relatively fast focusing, the lens also produced good color rendering, it' takumar tonal!
for me the lens is not heavy, so it's good for travelling, mine has many scratches on front element, but it's no effect for any taking some photos
as mentioned from previous reviewer the SMC Takumar 105mm F2.8 has no interesting sharpness in wide open, but in one stop down it's starting very sharp!

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Lens Review Date: September 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Small, fun to use.
Cons: optically so-so
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 7

For some reason I ended up with 2 of these; a super-tak and an s-m-c tak. They both seemed pretty similar in terms of contrast, flare resistance etc.

Neither was so sharp, especially wide open where its soft and glows a lot. Stopped down its decent, but the whole look and feel of the lens was always a bit so-so to me, and I sold both of my copies. I wish I kept one, because its a nice lens to travel with, really compact and fun to use. I think this one, along with the Tak 35/2 are the weakest and most overrated in the Takumar line-up.

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 22, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $109.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 6D

I love this lens, I have 2 50's one is a super tak, the other is the rubber ring smc. I also have the early version of the 135 2.5, this one has become my favorite, I see some people stating on here that it is not very sharp wide open, well I find it to be plenty sharp, but two things to consider, I shoot people, and I could have a good one of the bunch.

I would have to agree with a another guy down the page, this is the first lens that made me want to write a review, and I do like my other lenses.

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build quality, little aberrations on APS-C
Cons: not so sharp as other Asahi telephoto lenses
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8

The Asahi Super-Takumar 1:2.8/105 is very interesting manual focus telephoto lens when used with APS-C sensor. It is reasonably priced and for the money you receive the compact lens with the focal length of 105 mm, narrow depth of field and good bokeh. The 105 mm model is more suitable for the APS-C cameras in comparision with 135 mm models due to lower weight and smaller minimim focusing distance.

My review of my copy of the lens with shots at different apertures:

Registered: May, 2014
Lens Review Date: September 15, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens.
Cons: Nothing.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 60D

Lens Review Date: April 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small; great color, good rendering
Cons: a little soft wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Got my hand on one today at $150. After 4 hours of testing, I cannot find anything to complaint. Colors and bokeh are all good. Convenient to bring with small size. From my POV, it's a perfect alternative for 85mm lens for anyone with low budget.
And here are some examples (shooted at 2.8):

Location: near Berlin
Lens Review Date: March 18, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build, compactness, easy to focus, overall IQ
Cons: non to mention
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Praktica Super TL

I rate that lens with a 10 for some reason.

I watched out for smth between 85 and 120mm for my Super TL. Most lenses with M42 in that range are pretty expensive and that lens came in A+ condition for 150 euros. I did not regret.
It has everything a good lens needs to have. It is tack sharp stopped down by 1 stop, sharp wide open, has good contrast, is easy to focus and build to last decades.
I use it on film only and as a M42-lens not adapted to digital or other mounts.

I can clearly recommend this gem!

Location: Zhukovsky, Russian Federation

Lens Review Date: May 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, build quality, handling on a digital camera
Cons: none, except little CA in some conditions
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

This review concerns only Super-Takumar version. I have used many cool manual M42 Super and SMC Takumar lenses including 50/1.4, 55/1.4, 55/1.8, 135/2.5 and 200/4, but only this lens made me write the review.

I was fascinated with the style of sharpness. It's sharp with a little monocle-style glowing effect over the edges. The bokeh is outstanding like other Supe Takumars.

Another surprising point about the lens is focusing. Like many other digital photographers I have focusing problems with any manual lens. Even focus confirmation doesn't help. But not with this lens (like, for example, SMC Pentax-A 28/2.8) I haven't any focusing problems.

In conclusion, I have bought this lens for a test without any serious expectations, but it became one of my favourite lens.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands

Lens Review Date: February 8, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, sharp, and the feel is... just great!
Cons: Not found yet...
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

My review is not a very sophisticated one, nor did I test this gem extensively. I received it just yesterday...
Fallen in love with the photos Mike made with this lens, as many others, I guess...

But the feeling of it is great, like all the other old Taks. Handling, focussing, all wonderful. And the first photos are great. DoV, sharpness, colour rendering, bokeh... I think this will become one of my favourites in no time!
I just don't understand the problems others have with the sharpness of this lens.... An example it can be sharp, even wide open:

Why are the shadows in life always bigger and uglier than the real thing? by Rense Haveman, on Flickr

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Bangalore
Lens Review Date: January 12, 2013 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Build
Cons: Sharpness
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: k-x

It's not a bad lens, it's just that it's not as good as other SMC Tak lens.

It's soft at 2.8, works if you are shooting women or kids. However, overall I was not as pleased as with other SMS Tak lenses and eventually let it go.

This one was taken with SMC Tak 105mm

Location: Cosenza
Lens Review Date: November 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $63.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: bokeh
Cons: soft at 2.8
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: Canon Eos 5D Mark II

First of all: this lens clears the mirror of the Canon 5D Mark II without a problem (cheap chinese adapter). And, with the same adapter, the infinite stop is bang-on.

Small and well made, smooth focusing and aperture ring, the latter with clicks at half-stops.

Typical portrait lens. Quite soft at 2.8, but plenty usable; I saw this mostly when I was comparing it against other lenses, but in "solo" use I can never complain. It becomes sharp enough from f/4 and landscape-ready from f/5,6.

Still not a lens that I'd recommend for traditional (i.e. all sharp as a tack) landscape as primary use. But, again, I'm more in the "un-traditional" landscape photography so it does work for me.

Its big big plus it's the amazing bokeh it produces, almost perfect, with just a hint of a trace around the specular highlights. The only lenses, regardless of the format, I ever saw do better than that are the Symmar-S for 18x24cm and the Pentax 165/2,8 for 6x7 (this one has a different optical design, though, never to be seen in one of its smaller format siblings).
Add Review of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Super-Takumar/Takumar 105mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!