Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » D FA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review RSS Feed

8.1
12 31,561 Sun March 12, 2017

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

The HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR zoom lens was announced in February 2016 as a kit lens for the Pentax K-1 full frame DSLR which was launched at the same time.

On a full frame the field of view covers a very useful range for a walk around lens. The lens can also be used on DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; here the field of view goes from standard lens to telephoto.

The lens features nine rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh and it has a number of seals making it weather resistant. The front element is SP coated which helps repel water drops and grease, Other features are Quick Shift and a "window" in the lens hood which makes it easy to rotate a polarizing filter when one is attached.

The lens has a built-in DC autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus available only with the K10D and K100D Super, and all newer cameras. The lens has no aperture ring and is primarily intended for use on DSLR cameras. It can be used, though, on film cameras that have P and Tv automation or where the aperture can be controlled by an e-dial. On film cameras focusing is manual only.

At 440 g/15.5 oz the lens is relatively light without being flimsy.

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

PH-RBC62
O-LC62
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
73 x 86.5 mm (2.9 x 3.4 in.)
2016 to Present
HD Pentax-D FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-105mm ED DC WR
This is a very reasonably priced starter lens for the K-1

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-12 of 12

Registered: December, 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 12, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Stupidly good optics, surprisingly sturdy, redefines the concept of a 'kit lens'
Cons: Vignettes, 28mm* is a little 90's.
New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

My, how far we have come. This little beauty leaves every consumer lens from the film era for dead. Even the FA* 28-70 is left behind on IQ by this little gem (though obviously that lens is much faster). Hell, that Canon and Nikon can't produce a kit lens this good should leave them hanging their heads in shame.

I'm going to call it - this is the lens every K-1 owner should have. The only travel lens that will beat it is what ever Pentax comes up with to replace it.

Optically it is stunning. Based on size and convinience it is often compared to the DA 18-135, but it is more the peer (better even) of the excellent DA 16-85. It looses a bit at each end of the zoom range, but gains in across the board sharpness. Apart from vignetting, aberrations are non-existent - and in the era of digital developing, that is easy to fix. Distortion is well handled, what presents at the wider focal lengths is taken care of by the lens profiles.

Build and handling is great. The WR means it pumps air, but no worse than any other WR zoom. It is surpringly compact for a full-frame zoom, especially with this level of optical quality - there Pentax engineers here really outdid themselves. It lacks the aesthetics of a * lens, but never feels flimsy. Nothing rattles or wobbles that shouldn't, and it feels smooth and solid in hand. Pinch cap and lens hood are standard Pentax fare, and are perfectly good.

The downsides? Well, there is the vignetting, but that is trivial to correct. With the push for more width in the digital era, and the computer aided design process which allows this, 28mm is a bit disappointing - but I found with distortion correction off it was wider that other 28mm lenses, but not as wide as 24mm. I put the 'real' width at about 26mm, with distortion correction bringing it back closer to 28mm. Still, widening to 24mm would be a clear starting point for any successor lens. Bokeh is decent, but the slow aperture mean you have to work for it. Luckily the optical performance wide open means you can have your cake and it it too - bokeh + sharpness. The variable aperture could be considered a 'meh', but for a compact zoom under $600 you expect it to be the case - that said, it really isn't that much a draw back, we have advanced considerably since the days of ISO 400 film.

To call this a kit lens is to take the concept of a kit lens to a whole new level. Nothing about this screams cheap-consumer-zoom. The build is fantastic, the optical engineering without peer in this lens class, only the slow aperture holds it down - and with the excellent ISO capabilities of the K-1 all you really miss out is on bucket loads easy bokeh. And all at a price which leaves it as an obvious must buy.

To the engineers behind this lens (and the DA 16-85), keep doing what you do - we want more of these amazing zooms! To Ricoh, give them a pay rise, they deserve it. Then get them on that afforadable telezoom, and a set of f4 'prosumer' zooms. While you are at it, you really need to advertise the optics you are putting out under the Pentax brand - your recent inhouse designs have been amazing.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Netherlands

Lens Review Date: February 10, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, colours, AF accuracy, reliability
Cons: Could have been wider
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

This is an excellent lens for the K-1. I have an extensive collection of primes and prefer to use those but often a versatile zoom is more practical, especially on days away or on holiday with the family. This lens is excellent for that.

Below there is one negative review. I am not sure whether in that case the lens was at fault or some other error was there but obviously that experience is an outlier and not representative of my experience, which actually compares well to the reviews here and elsewhere.

My opinion is that the colours are excellent. A main downside is vignetting but that is easily corrected in post processing. Other aberrations are neglectable. Out of focus rendering and bokeh is not exceptianal but its totally fine and never disturbing. AF has for me been fast and extremely reliable.

Sharpness is really very good; much better than you would expect from a ‘standard’ prime. I’ve also had the DA 18-135mm and this is much better. It is also better than than the DA 16-85mm, which I’ve also had.

Overal “reliable” is the right word for this lens; it delivers the goods. It is not extremely bright and oftentimes one would hope it could be 4mm wider but really what this lens does, it does very well in a predictable and reliable fashion. There is no pixie dust that the best primes produce but at the end of the day most of my keepers from 2016 have been made with the lens because it is there to captures the moments. I payed full retail price at release and have no regrets.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: December 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp and clean images, reasonable size and price
Cons: vignetting
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

This is the sort of FF zoom I would have liked to see more of from Pentax to accompany the K-1. It's optical performance is exemplary, apart from strong vignetting. In many ways, it is reminiscent of the excellent DA 16-85, which is high praise.

I could have wished for a wider short end, 24mm would have been ideal, but that would have been a different lens. The modest variable aperture marks it as "consumer-ish" rather than "professional", but is worth it in exchange for compactness and a reasonable price. The other fast DFA zooms released around the same time (15-30, 24-70, and 70-200) are all immense and not what you want to carry all the time. The IQ is a good couple of notches above "consumer" in any case.

I note that some people are fixated on its significant vignetting. Get over it! It's not a big deal. Two seconds to fix in LR if you must, though in practice I rarely feel the need. (See my post here to compare vignetting corrected and uncorrected.) This sort of behaviour is very common in FF zooms anyway.

This is my "everyday" lens on the K-1. Very suited to travel. I give it a 9, but in reality 9.5 is more where I think it sits.

Click on any of the first four for full size images.

105mm, f/7.1

28mm, f/8

105mm, f/8

Registered: January, 2007
Location: Billings, MT

Lens Review Date: July 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, very sharp, nice bokeh, fast and quiet focusing, WR
Cons: Variable aperture, double barrel extension

I was a little leery at first about this lens for the variable aperture, double barrel extension, and at the price point the quality. To say the least I am very happy with this lens. With this lens on the K-1 it's a comfortable walk-around combination. The image quality is much better than I expected. I like this lens!

All taken at f/8.

28mm.

45mm.

80mm.

105mm at MFD.

Location: Berlin / Freiburg / On the road

Lens Review Date: June 26, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $544.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: useful range, colours, sharpness, af, size & weight, build
Cons: works as an air pump, too; perhaps vignetting for those who care?

I usually prefer shooting with primes, but I think every traveller also needs a reliable & versatile zoom. The 28-105 is exactly that - and more.

I like this lens more than I liked the DA 18-135 on APS-C. Even though it's focal range is more limited, this lens makes it up with huge pros for travelling: size & weight & build are almost identical to the 18-135 (62mm filter thread!), colours equally great, flare resistance at least on the same level, AF speed & accuracy on K-1 is very good even under not-so-easy light conditions.

Of course you will notice some vignetting at max. apertures, but sharpness stays very good, so who cares? The bokeh is nothing short of delicious for a zoom lens.

WR ist handsome, but keep an eye on your mic port seal! Mine opens up after about 10-15 actuations of zooming in and out due to the fact that considerable amounts of air get pumped through the lens & the camera every time...

Will post more images when time permits.

Clear vision by Georg, on Flickr

Registered: December, 2011
Location: HArtford CT

Lens Review Date: June 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $495.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open especially around the 70mm range
Cons: Can be soft on the long end
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

Was not immediately impressed by this lens when I first bought it......had no wild expectations. i was looking for something to cover the wide end at fullframe (around 28mm) and went with this because it could also give me some flexibility and was weather sealed.

My first positive impression of this lens came when I took a picture on the beach shooting straight into the sun, there was no expected lens flare (angle may have had something to do with it because I have since had some flare in other pics). Second positive impression came last night when I was shooting an event indoors and couldnt use my flash. I wanted to keep shutter speed high and use the lowest permitted ISO so I shot wide open at 73mm - focus was spot on and I had good working depth of field to allow my subject to be completely in focus nose to ear.

I had to make some adjustments to my shooting style. I like to shoot with spot focusing but found that the 9 point focus works better. Still allows me to concentrate my focus on a specific partof the subject but allows the camera more information to evaluate focusing range.

Color is excellent. I could still easily tell however which pics were shot with the 77mm 1.8 I also used - only because the 77 has this unique signature, but I sholudn't have even bothered to change lens. The 18-105 results were more than satisfactory.

Administrator
Site Webmaster

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Arizona

Lens Review Date: June 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, compact, fast AF
Cons: Vignetting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

This lens puts all film-era consumer zoom lenses to shame. It even holds its ground well against the D FA 24-70mm, which is softer than the 28-105mm at longer focal lengths. As I tend to favor primes over fast zooms, this lens is perfect for me as a supplement to my kit of primes, and as a viable travel option.

The main issue with this lens is vignetting, which is quite pronounced overall and noticeably darkens the viewfinder. Stopping down by an additional two stops is what I'd recommend. That's not to say that the corners or edges are soft, though: in fact, especially with lens corrections on, the overall image quality is superb in other aspects.

Thanks to the DC motor, focusing is quick, though faster performance in low light will of course be possible with wider lenses.

The D FA 28-105mm may look like just like the APS-C 18-135mm, but on the inside, it's a completely different lens that prioritizes image quality and compactness at the expense of aperture speed. For $500, it's a bargain in my opinion.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: egypt

Lens Review Date: May 25, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New

I have the lens 2 days ago.
It is a great walkabout lens. Has a very silent and active drive motor.
Sharpeness is promising and very good to excellent from 35 mm to 70 mm.
At 70mm it is like a prime lens regarding the sharpness and contrast.
It is a more than a kit lens..though the price is may be expensive than the competitors and the slow aperture affect the sight inside the OVF.

Registered: February, 2015
Location: Lille

Lens Review Date: May 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, quiet
Cons: lack of wide angle
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax k-1

This is a quick review from a 2 day experience. I will probably update it later.

This is without a doubt a very great kit lens.
To make a long story short, it's for me something between 16-85 and 18-135 DA's equivalent on FF.

I would have loved 24mm at the short end and 135+ at the long one, but it would have been another lens, with another price and performance.

Sharpness : It's tack-sharp, even wide open and even @100%. It seems to be at the center a pinch overhead the D-FA 100mm macro lens (non-WR), though I havent compared them side by side.

Aberrations : There are a bit of noticeable aberrations in the corners, but nothing impossible to correct with any raw or event JPG editing software.

Bokeh : The boke could be better, but is still smooth and not so distracting. Plus, that's a standard zoom lens so I give it a solid 8.

Autofocus : AF is fast and accurate, its sound is a bit more noticeable than 18-135's motor, but still quiet.

Handling : Handling is great on the k-1, with a well balanced zoom ring.

Value : Its public price is quite expensive for a all-around zoom, so if you have already a std zoom in your bag, I would suggest to wait until a price drop. But if you don't, that's definitely a must-have if you need an everyday std zoom for the k-1 but don't want an expensive, big and heavy F/2.8 one.

I gave it an overall note of 10, because I simply couldn't have expected better results from a 4x standard zoom equipped with a DC motor.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: May 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, sharp, accurate and fast focus, resistance of flare
Cons: slow aperture, bokeh is good but not great
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3 and K-1

Really nice lens... similar to 18-135 and better, probably because of HD coating.
Great walk around lens if you don't mind its not wide enough for APSC format. Would be a perfect travel lens for K-1!
A few photos shot with K-3 and K-1 are attached. I think the first reviewer's images are not telling the IQ, as the dog may have moved.
I'll update my score when I have a K-1.

Updates: I took my K-1 and this lens to Gold Coast for a few days holiday. I found the DFA 24-70 is too big and heavy for travel and casual use. K-1 and 28-105 are great travel combo! Auto focus is really quick and I had no problem to focus on racing cars in the show. below are couple of images:

Registered: December, 2010
Location: 11432

Lens Review Date: May 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap, affordable, nice
Cons: Sharpness
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

Well, it has similar lens design with DA 18-135mm so it shares some characteristic: poor optical performance. If you really wanna get better sharpness, I would suggest you to use F8 or higher. But it won't gonna solve the problem. Anyway, it's just a cheap lens. Most amateurs and beginners will really love this lens.

Lens Review Date: April 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $690.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, WR, compact, quiet and fast autofocus
Cons: Limited aperture
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

First impressions, based on delivery this morning with the K-1.

Build quality, mechanical design and operation very similar to DA 18-135: which is pretty good.

Optically it is on another level. I might be unlucky and my 18-135 may be at the poor end of the quality spectrum: some people love it, but I have always found it missing too much in the IQ department. [On reflection, DFA 28-105 maintains resolution across frame at similar to the best the DA 18-135 achieves: the overall impression is helped greatly by the larger sensor.]

The DFA 28-105 produces results that are easily sharp enough to like. It will never replace my Pentax-F/DA* and Sigma DG primes, but provides a useful go-anywhere lens which is WR, light and quiet.

Some photos to illustrate
Added 30 Apr 16
Note: Three examples with dog are wide open for that particular focal length. The softness in the 100% crops is I think lack of micro-contrast/resolution and not motion blur. [Added 5 May 16]

1/20 f5.6 ISO200 73mm

Link to DNG https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj7950rjpnno79x/_K1_0017.DNG?dl=0
Bokeh is well handled on close shots (K-1 SRS seems pretty effective too!)

1/160 f3.5 ISO100 28mm

Link to DNG https://www.dropbox.com/s/96w8p6qa8jxvxp0/_K1_0028.DNG?dl=0

1/200 f7.1 ISO100 28mm

Link to DNG https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4oa5swp7wevw9k/_K1_0030.DNG?dl=0

100% crop of top right

Some colour fringing is visible, but resolution is still acceptable

[Edited to add photos and re-score bokeh and aberrations]

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!