Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » D FA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review RSS Feed

33 94,733 Sat January 4, 2020

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

The HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR zoom lens was announced in February 2016 as a kit lens for the Pentax K-1 full frame DSLR which was launched at the same time.

On a full frame the field of view covers a very useful range for a walk around lens. The lens can also be used on DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; here the field of view goes from standard lens to telephoto.

The lens features nine rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh and it has a number of seals making it weather resistant. The front element is SP coated which helps repel water drops and grease, Other features are Quick Shift and a "window" in the lens hood which makes it easy to rotate a polarizing filter when one is attached.

The lens has a built-in DC autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus available only with the K10D and K100D Super, and all newer cameras. The lens has no aperture ring and is primarily intended for use on DSLR cameras. It can be used, though, on film cameras that have P and Tv automation or where the aperture can be controlled by an e-dial. On film cameras focusing is manual only.

At 440 g/15.5 oz the lens is relatively light without being flimsy.

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

PH-RBC62
O-LC62
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
73 x 86.5 mm (2.9 x 3.4 in.)
w/ Hood: +24g
2016 to present (in production)
HD Pentax-D FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-105mm ED DC WR
This is a very reasonably priced starter lens for the K-1

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 33

Location: Utrecht
Lens Review Date: January 4, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, versatile zoom range, WR, IQ
Cons: For the price none..
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1ii and K-01

Came as a kit-lens with my K1ii. I doubted to go for the 24-70 but wisely did not. I do own several wider & brighter primes so I choose for the 28-105. This is a nice lens, weather resistant, very sharp one stop down and not too heavy. It also performs well on the K-01, it autofocusses nice too. I compared this lens with some primes, the A 28-135 and K 45-125. In the far corners and below F4.5 most primes do a better job for sharpness. But what is noticable this kit lens is very well controlled for abberations, even wide open. There are almost none...

See also: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-28-135mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html

and: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-45-125mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html

and finaly: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/390869-som...-compared.html

Insanely humble

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Lens Review Date: December 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, versatile, and fairly small for what it is
Cons: Can struggle with infinity focus at 28mm

Even though I prefer primes for most situations this is one lens I would not be without. For me it is a splendid travel lens and bad weather lens for the K-1. It is fairly small for a full-frame lens with this zoom range. Most of the time I use it a bit stopped down, which means there is very little vignetting and the sharpness is very good. The bokeh is quite smooth despite the relatively slow apertures.

The main negative thing I have found is that it can struggle with acquiring focus at 28mm (with the K-1, at least). I sometimes have to hunt for contrasty edges to get focus to lock near infinity (but not at shorter range). At times I instead focus on something at half-distance (say 30m/100ft) which most often is good enough with the generous depth of focus at the wide end.

All in all this is by far the best "kit" zoom I have used. I include the quotation marks to indicate that this lens is a level or two above what is usually considered kit lens quality.

28mm f/8

Cabin wall and roof by -savoche-, on Flickr

105mm f/8
Protea by -savoche-, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2019
Lens Review Date: December 10, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, without being cheap, good for light travel. Reasonable sharp
Cons: Slow autofocus for street shooting (but accurate)
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

Good for general purpose.
Edit: total agree with #savoche above, focus quite hunt at 28mm sometime.

Registered: May, 2019
Location: Roma
Lens Review Date: October 2, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: LEGGERO E COMODO
Cons: APERTURA SCARSA
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: <pentax K1

E' UN OBIETTIVO MOLTO PRATICO E FUNZIONALE DA PORTARE IN VIAGGIO, IN ACCOPPIATA CON LA K1 RESTITUISCE OTTIME IMMAGINI. SCARSO IN CONDIZIONI DI POCA LUCE

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Finland
Lens Review Date: August 20, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice colors, WR, compact
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I am positively surprised. This lens has a very good reputation but still exceeded my expectations for a good zoom lens. Perfect walk around and hiking lens.

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $672.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Useful focal range
Cons: Not sharp enough, especially in the corners / sides
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I have 10 650 shots with this lense, so obviously it's a useful focal range. It's also weatherproof and reasonably priced.

But!

The sharpness is often disappointing, especially on wider focal ranges where you have really soft corners. You need very good conditions for this lens to shine.

I have some great shots with it and some shots that have good composition etc but still turned out to a lower quality than what I expected. The primes from Samyang are much better. The Pentax 100 mm macro wr is also a lot sharper.

Edit: I forgot to say! After 2 weeks I got a small dust hair inside the lens, which is not impressive for a WR lens.

Registered: January, 2019
Location: Geelong, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, FF lens, WR seal, Fast Autofocus
Cons: Weight, Focus searching.

My favorite zoom. I don't need primes when this lens is 95% as good. I love using this on APSC as the pics always have great clarity. My main walk-around lens.
I can not find a difference in sharpness when comparing to my Tamron 90mm SP Di AF Macro which I consider to be extremely sharp.
I highly recommend this lens.

Registered: October, 2018

Lens Review Date: March 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $327.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent lens for landscapes. Very sharp @ f/11 at all focal legths. Great contrast and colors.
Cons: Difficulty finding correct focus @ 28 mm in poor light.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K3

Registered: August, 2017

Lens Review Date: December 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Sharpness, Price, WR
Cons: Value
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K1

One of the best low-budget standart zooms I ever used. On my K1 its amazing sharp. Colours look nice and even bokeh is fine. For this price, I cant say anything negative. The only little malus is the build quality - its plastic. But for this price you cant expect more.

If you are looking for a lens to work in a reliable way, this is youre choice. If you want an exciting one, maybe not.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs.

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $496.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, compact and sturdy, consistent performance across frame on APS-C, Quick-Shift, coatings, DC motor
Cons: plastic build, focal range can be awkward for some users
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3

Back in the day when everyone saw only in black&white, the 35-135mm zoom was a great compromise between bulk and focal range. Same with this lens. The 35mm equivalent is 42-157mm but with performance using the latest technologies. This lens is engineered for full frame resolution and that performance works well on the 24 mp APS-C's with "sweet-spot" consistent resolution, aberrations, coma, vignetting, etc across the whole APS-C frame.

Of course, it is not as good as primes. But now with software and optional pixel-shifting, one can use this consistently-above-average-performing lens when doing software enhancements without worrying about over-sharpening one area more than another (with its ugly crystallizing appearance - have you seen old movies redone digitally and oversharpened - yuck!). Simple to automate with scripts and you know what you are going to get as file output.

It is not a perfect lens. But for me, it is a perfect "35-135" equivalent zoom with greater performance than any of those older lenses. The normal - mid telephoto range can be awkward if you are used to Super Zooms that cover 18-200mm but only have average performance. This lens beats all of those within its range. And if I really wanted a zoom with reach, I would use a (heavy, bulky) 70-200mm.

I have also learned that I do not like a nominal wide angle zoom. I find 16mm on APS-C to be too narrow at times. I really want to PLAY in that space much more when I have in mind (perceive) a series of shots made at wide angle. So, paired with this lens and, say, the 12-24mm, I find I have a perfect combo that lets me play in the space I want at the wide end and then switch back to normal-telephoto mode. The 28mm setting on this lens also lets my feet do some of the "zooming" if I have to move back a little.

This is just a handheld unprocessed photo (and only an inferior screenshot!). The software-processed one will look much better.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Lens Review Date: August 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ for the money, relatively compact, rugged and WR, low CA and low flare, nice colours, useful FF focal range
Cons: Fairly slow, distortion, viginetting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

Price is higher because its from a local NZ supplier and so includes taxes etc.

Love this lens for its its relatively compact size and excellent performance to cost ratio. Its in my bag most of the time - especially when travelling fairly light. Very happy with the images it delivers - in fact in terms of sharpness its pretty close to many of my old FA primes.
Bokeh is respectable too although limited a bit by max aperture.

Even more useful when travelling as its not too big or heavy.

Samples:

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Lens Review Date: August 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, sharpness, wr
Cons: Would have been nicer for it to have been a few mm wider
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1

If you own a K-1, you need this lens. I've had not problems trusting it to some critical photo shoots - ones that were possibly once in a lifetime opportunities. It feels like a lens that should cost 2x or 3x as much as it does. For hiking, general nature photography, and other outdoor photography this is a must have.

Loyal Site Supportaxian

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: August 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharpness, color rendering, size, handling.
Cons: Vignetting

This is a home-run of a consumer zoom.

It delivers everything but high speed and bokeh in a moderately priced, moderately sized package. It's the perfect K-1 walk-around lens.

I stopped using my 18-135 on my K-01 and started using this instead. The increase in image quality was well worth the reduction in zoom range.

It absolutely trounces on film-era zooms. I resoundingly recommend it!

Registered: December, 2017

Lens Review Date: August 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Value, sharpness, versatility, handling
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

The foundation of my system, this lens is almost annoyingly good. I have the 77mm and 43mm Limiteds (and love them), but they rarely knock this lens off my mount.

It's wonderfully sharp for a zoom. I can carry it around all day; it's perfect for travel and hiking. I can use it to shoot landscapes or flowers or cats. It may not have the artistically sublime bokeh and color rendition of the Limiteds, but it still performs nicely in those regards while autofocusing and handling flare/aberrations a bit more adeptly. Obviously not as capable in low-light as the f/2.8 zooms.

If you are getting a K1, start with this. It really is the perfect walk-around lens.

Location: Wisconsin, USA
Lens Review Date: May 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Close focus, great colors, good contrast, WR, fast/accurate auto-focus
Cons: vignetting at wide apertures, sharpness at extremes of zoom
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k1

Light, WR, fast and accurate auto-focusing. Nice contrast and colors. Focuses close too.

Vignettes at widest apertures.

Only average sharpeness at extremes of zoom range. Good sharpness from around 40mm - 80mm!

I find that it's the best overall at f/5.6 and f/8. Big drop off in quality at f/11 and above.

Overall, very good value for the money.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!