Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » D FA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review RSS Feed

8.1
29 85,860 Tue August 20, 2019

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

The HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6†ED†DC WR†zoom lens was announced in†February 2016†as a kit lens for the Pentax K-1†full frame DSLR which was launched at the same time.

On a full frame the field of view covers a very useful range for a walk around lens. The lens can also be used on DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; here the field of view goes from†standard lens†to telephoto.

The lens features nine rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh and it has a number of seals making it weather resistant.†The front element is†SP coated which helps repel water drops and grease,†Other features are Quick Shift and a "window" in the lens hood which makes it easy to rotate a polarizing filter when one is attached.

The lens has a built-in†DC autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus available only with the K10D and K100D Super, and all newer cameras. The lens has no aperture ring and is primarily intended for use on DSLR cameras. It can be used, though,†on†film cameras that have P and Tv automation or where the aperture can be controlled by an e-dial. On film cameras focusing is manual only.

At 440 g/15.5 oz†the lens is relatively light without being flimsy.

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

PH-RBC62
O-LC62
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
73 x 86.5 mm (2.9 x 3.4 in.)
w/ Hood: +24g
2016 to present (in production)
HD Pentax-D FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-105mm ED DC WR
This is a very reasonably priced starter lens for the K-1

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 29

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Finland
Lens Review Date: August 20, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice colors, WR, compact
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I am positively surprised. This lens has a very good reputation but still exceeded my expectations for a good zoom lens. Perfect walk around and hiking lens.

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $672.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Useful focal range
Cons: Not sharp enough, especially in the corners / sides
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I have 10 650 shots with this lense, so obviously it's a useful focal range. It's also weatherproof and reasonably priced.

But!

The sharpness is often disappointing, especially on wider focal ranges where you have really soft corners. You need very good conditions for this lens to shine.

I have some great shots with it and some shots that have good composition etc but still turned out to a lower quality than what I expected. The primes from Samyang are much better. The Pentax 100 mm macro wr is also a lot sharper.

Edit: I forgot to say! After 2 weeks I got a small dust hair inside the lens, which is not impressive for a WR lens.

Registered: January, 2019
Location: Geelong, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, FF lens, WR seal, Fast Autofocus
Cons: Weight, Focus searching.

My favorite zoom. I don't need primes when this lens is 95% as good. I love using this on APSC as the pics always have great clarity. My main walk-around lens.
I can not find a difference in sharpness when comparing to my Tamron 90mm SP Di AF Macro which I consider to be extremely sharp.
I highly recommend this lens.

Registered: October, 2018

Lens Review Date: March 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $327.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent lens for landscapes. Very sharp @ f/11 at all focal legths. Great contrast and colors.
Cons: Difficulty finding correct focus @ 28 mm in poor light.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K3

Registered: August, 2017

Lens Review Date: December 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Sharpness, Price, WR
Cons: Value
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K1

One of the best low-budget standart zooms I ever used. On my K1 its amazing sharp. Colours look nice and even bokeh is fine. For this price, I cant say anything negative. The only little malus is the build quality - its plastic. But for this price you cant expect more.

If you are looking for a lens to work in a reliable way, this is youre choice. If you want an exciting one, maybe not.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs.

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $496.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, compact and sturdy, consistent performance across frame on APS-C, Quick-Shift, coatings, DC motor
Cons: plastic build, focal range can be awkward for some users
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3

Back in the day when everyone saw only in black&white, the 35-135mm zoom was a great compromise between bulk and focal range. Same with this lens. The 35mm equivalent is 42-157mm but with performance using the latest technologies. This lens is engineered for full frame resolution and that performance works well on the 24 mp APS-C's with "sweet-spot" consistent resolution, aberrations, coma, vignetting, etc across the whole APS-C frame.

Of course, it is not as good as primes. But now with software and optional pixel-shifting, one can use this consistently-above-average-performing lens when doing software enhancements without worrying about over-sharpening one area more than another (with its ugly crystallizing appearance - have you seen old movies redone digitally and oversharpened - yuck!). Simple to automate with scripts and you know what you are going to get as file output.

It is not a perfect lens. But for me, it is a perfect "35-135" equivalent zoom with greater performance than any of those older lenses. The normal - mid telephoto range can be awkward if you are used to Super Zooms that cover 18-200mm but only have average performance. This lens beats all of those within its range. And if I really wanted a zoom with reach, I would use a (heavy, bulky) 70-200mm.

I have also learned that I do not like a nominal wide angle zoom. I find 16mm on APS-C to be too narrow at times. I really want to PLAY in that space much more when I have in mind (perceive) a series of shots made at wide angle. So, paired with this lens and, say, the 12-24mm, I find I have a perfect combo that lets me play in the space I want at the wide end and then switch back to normal-telephoto mode. The 28mm setting on this lens also lets my feet do some of the "zooming" if I have to move back a little.

This is just a handheld unprocessed photo (and only an inferior screenshot!). The software-processed one will look much better.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Lens Review Date: August 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ for the money, relatively compact, rugged and WR, low CA and low flare, nice colours, useful FF focal range
Cons: Fairly slow, distortion, viginetting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

Price is higher because its from a local NZ supplier and so includes taxes etc.

Love this lens for its its relatively compact size and excellent performance to cost ratio. Its in my bag most of the time - especially when travelling fairly light. Very happy with the images it delivers - in fact in terms of sharpness its pretty close to many of my old FA primes.
Bokeh is respectable too although limited a bit by max aperture.

Even more useful when travelling as its not too big or heavy.

Samples:

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Lens Review Date: August 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, sharpness, wr
Cons: Would have been nicer for it to have been a few mm wider
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1

If you own a K-1, you need this lens. I've had not problems trusting it to some critical photo shoots - ones that were possibly once in a lifetime opportunities. It feels like a lens that should cost 2x or 3x as much as it does. For hiking, general nature photography, and other outdoor photography this is a must have.

Loyal Site Supportaxian

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: August 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharpness, color rendering, size, handling.
Cons: Vignetting

This is a home-run of a consumer zoom.

It delivers everything but high speed and bokeh in a moderately priced, moderately sized package. It's the perfect K-1 walk-around lens.

I stopped using my 18-135 on my K-01 and started using this instead. The increase in image quality was well worth the reduction in zoom range.

It absolutely trounces on film-era zooms. I resoundingly recommend it!

Registered: December, 2017

Lens Review Date: August 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Value, sharpness, versatility, handling
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

The foundation of my system, this lens is almost annoyingly good. I have the 77mm and 43mm Limiteds (and love them), but they rarely knock this lens off my mount.

It's wonderfully sharp for a zoom. I can carry it around all day; it's perfect for travel and hiking. I can use it to shoot landscapes or flowers or cats. It may not have the artistically sublime bokeh and color rendition of the Limiteds, but it still performs nicely in those regards while autofocusing and handling flare/aberrations a bit more adeptly. Obviously not as capable in low-light as the f/2.8 zooms.

If you are getting a K1, start with this. It really is the perfect walk-around lens.

Location: Wisconsin, USA
Lens Review Date: May 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $330.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Close focus, great colors, good contrast, WR, fast/accurate auto-focus
Cons: vignetting at wide apertures, sharpness at extremes of zoom
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k1

Light, WR, fast and accurate auto-focusing. Nice contrast and colors. Focuses close too.

Vignettes at widest apertures.

Only average sharpeness at extremes of zoom range. Good sharpness from around 40mm - 80mm!

I find that it's the best overall at f/5.6 and f/8. Big drop off in quality at f/11 and above.

Overall, very good value for the money.

Registered: May, 2017

Lens Review Date: April 13, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Centre sharpness, colours, focus speed and accuracy
Cons: Sharpness issues outside of central area , cost per performance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I tend mainly to use just primes and this is the first zoom lens that i've purchased in years.

I was drawn to it by the many excellent reviews and a desire at times to just carry a one lens combo instead of a bag full of primes.

Unfortunately I think primes have spoilt me over the years. Centre sharpness on this lens is great but at all focal lengths even stopped down the lens shows it's weaknesses outside of the central area. I'd be happy to use it for holiday captures but for anything more serious it wouldn't be my go to lens. Overall a disappointment as I'd heard such goods things about it.

Registered: January, 2018
Location: Paris

Lens Review Date: January 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Such a high grade entry level kit zoom, IQ, colors, size, handling
Cons: Not 24 135 F4 !
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1 k5

Similar look and nice handling than 18-135 on my k5 but the comparaison stops here.
Much much better IQ among the whole frame within the whole range.
With the 18\135 always have to shoot at F8 mini To have a nice IQ (although still shitty extreme corners ...). In fact except within the short range of 24 to 50mm (very good across the whole frame here) it was just a good zoom for holidays.

This one at 4,5 on 28 itís already very good for example. F8 sharp corner to corner

I find no weakness among the whole range ( except less brillant at 105 but already nothing to compare with the 135)
The size and use are great, Wr etc....AC no problem.
In fact I wish itís not a constant F4 with the same size, such a killer but iam dreaming lol...always want more.....

With 3 or 4 specialised primes more in your bag you can go shooting almost everything with confidence and great results
A very high quality kit zoom
Absolutely no regret of the dfa 24-70 30kg tank small range...

rainy day

Location: Norway

Lens Review Date: November 30, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, reach, sharpness, weight, price
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K1

When I purchased the K1, I had to choose between the D-FA 24-70mm and the D-FA 28-105mm standard zoom lenses. I chose the latter. I had three reasons for choosing the D-FA 28-105mm; size, reach and price. I have never regretted my decision. And after reading reviews of both the D-FA 24-70mm and the D-FA 28-105mm I really feel I made the right choice. It is a terrific walkabout and travel lens.

The image was captured with the following settings:

Handheld pointing straight up (which makes it even harder because of an uncomfortable posture)
105mm
ISO800
f5.6
1/13s

Inside the St. Peters Basilica in Rome. The small dome In front of the Michelangelo sculpture.

Registered: September, 2017
Location: Boulder CO
Lens Review Date: November 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: quick to focus
Cons: it broke
New or Used: New

I have had this lens and treated it well for 4 months.
The zoom is sticky, sometimes completely hanging up. I think something has come loose inside. a gentle shaking and I can hear a rattle.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!