Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » D FA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review RSS Feed

36 119,739 Wed March 31, 2021

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

The HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR zoom lens was announced in February 2016 as a kit lens for the Pentax K-1 full frame DSLR which was launched at the same time.

On a full frame the field of view covers a very useful range for a walk around lens. The lens can also be used on DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; here the field of view goes from standard lens to telephoto.

The lens features nine rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh and it has a number of seals making it weather resistant. The front element is SP coated which helps repel water drops and grease, Other features are Quick Shift and a "window" in the lens hood which makes it easy to rotate a polarizing filter when one is attached.

The lens has a built-in DC autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus available only with the K10D and K100D Super, and all newer cameras. The lens has no aperture ring and is primarily intended for use on DSLR cameras. It can be used, though, on film cameras that have P and Tv automation or where the aperture can be controlled by an e-dial. On film cameras focusing is manual only.

At 440 g/15.5 oz the lens is relatively light without being flimsy.

HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

PH-RBC62
O-LC62
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
73 x 86.5 mm (2.9 x 3.4 in.)
w/ Hood: +24g
2016 to present (in production)
HD Pentax-D FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-105mm ED DC WR
This is a very reasonably priced starter lens for the K-1

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedInternal FocusingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame Support
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 36

Location: Blenheim
Lens Review Date: March 31, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, lightweight, sharp
Cons: Stiff zoom
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

I purchased this lens used with a bit of scepticism, as it's basically a kit lens for the K-1, and I intended to use it on my K-70 where the APS-C crop factor makes it a standard to moderate telephoto zoom.
I wasn't sure how useful the zoom range would be on APS-C nor how good the lens would be, having an older Tamron 28-105 that identifies as a Pentax FA! but isn't particularly sharp.
After over six months with this lens, shooting a variety of subjects, I've had to put my scepticism aside, as I'm very impressed with what's a very reasonably priced lens for what you get.
Sure, it's not overly fast, but for mostly landscapes that I've used it with, I've generally had it stopped down a little anyway, so this has never been an issue.
Although the lens isn't rated as a macro lens, I've been able to get close enough to small subjects at full zoom to not always have to switch to a macro lens.
What I've been most impressed with is the sharpness of the lens across the zoom range. It's not perfect, ie not a prime, but remarkably good, and a noticeable improvement on the kit zooms for APS-C.
Sharpness seems to be good at a range of apertures, but seems to reach its limit at f/9 on the K-70.
I've noticed a very small amount of green or purple fringing on some images, but it's not bad, and easily correct in post processing.
AF is quiet, quick, and accurate.

My one major gripe with the lens is the remarkably stiff zoom. Presumably this is related to the weather sealing. Zoom creep is not something you'll experience with this lens, in fact almost the opposite. You could (not recommended) suspend the camera by the lens, and it won't extend one bit. Turning the zoom ring is like driving a car before power steering was invented, and requires a firm hand. Fortunately there's plenty of grip to hold onto to do so, so it's not a huge issue, but because of zoom stiffness, sometimes zoom movement can be a bit jerky, and it's not easy to do a smooth pan and zoom tracking moving subjects.

Eventually I'd like to compare it with the DA 16-85 which is effectively its equivalent on APS-C and also very highly regarded, however that is also a more expensive lens, and if I'm prepared to live without the wider end, the D-FA 28-105 definitely makes a workable weather sealed walk-around zoom. Interestingly, the D-FA 28-105 is actually slightly lighter than the DA-16-85 at 440g vs 488g.

Would I buy this new rather than the DA 16-85 for an APS-C body? Maybe not, but if one comes up used at a good price, which is quite possible, and you don't already own the DA 16-85 or if you currently own an APS-C body but are considering upgrading to a K-1/ (II) then this is a versatile lens that produces great images.

Registered: June, 2014

Lens Review Date: December 21, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cost, weight, overall IQ
Cons: Not as good at the wide or long ends
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1

This lens is fantastic.

I had heard enough good things about this lens that I began looking for one shortly after acquiring my K-1, and bought my copy second-hand from another user on the Marketplace. Before this, I had no other zoom lenses for my K-1; only some prime lenses. Overall, I am impressed with it, and have owned my copy since early 2017.

I shoot landscape photography off a tripod - a mixture of portrait orientation, stitched panoramas, long exposures, and a bit of everything in between - and this lens is easily my most-used lens and the one lens I would struggle without. Small and light enough for multi-day hikes, robust enough for changing weather, enough zoom range to cover most of what I'm interested in shooting, cheap enough to almost be considered disposable ( yeah, breaking it would certainly hurt, but breaking a 31Ltd would hurt much, much more ), and IQ that is good enough most of the time.

Wading out in waist-deep water? Check. Shooting at the beach with salt spray and waves splashing? Check. Hiking in the rain? Check. Better this lens than my other, more expensive ones for dangerous situations.

It is quite sharp, and I mostly use it stopped down from f10 to f13 and beyond ( if the situation needs more depth of field ) where it excels ( right where you need it for landscape photography! ). However, regarding sharpness it is NOT prime-quality, and lenses such as the 77Ltd, 50mm macro, and the Sigma Art 35mm are still a notch above. The compelling aspect of the 28-105 is that once it is stopped down, most of the time it doesn't matter - it is usually so close that I will simply shoot with the 28-105 anyway rather than bother changing lenses. This is fairly high praise coming from a pixel peeper! After carrying around a bag of primes and constantly swapping lenses, it has made a lazy photographer out of me!

In balance to this, it is a bit weaker on the short and long ends. I have taken some photos at the wider end and wished that I had taken the time to change out the lens to a prime; if you are going to cut single images into 3:1 panoramas at the wide end of the focal range, you are probably going to be disappointed with the result. The edges will not be perfect, and will be barely acceptable in a lot of scenarios. However, in balance to that, when you are in the moment and the available light is rapidly changing, convenience often trumps absolute image quality.

Aberrations are there, but not really that much worse than any of my other lenses - perhaps aside from the heavily corrected Sigma ART 35mm or my longer telephoto lenses. I have noticed colour fringing is more pronounced on the wider end, but I haven't done a lot of indepth comparison here.

Bokeh. It's nice enough. I'm typicall trying to get everything in focus, so it's not important to me.

I have also been impressed with the resilience of this lens. It boasts Weather Resistance, and as far as I'm concerned it has held that claim quite well. I use the lens a lot on the beach, and it ( along with my K-1 body ) has spent quite a few nights in a ziplock bag full of rice after getting splashed with salt water. Considering it has a double-extending barrel and how light and plasticky the lens feels, it has been suprisingly robust.

Saying this, it is not bullet-proof. I had a wave crash over me on the coast and completely submerge the camera and lens along with soaking me to the skin. I then removed the battery, washed the body and lens off with fresh water, disassembled what I could, opened all the ports and laid it all out to dry. The camera body was fine, but the lens refused to autofocus, and would not communicate with the camera - it simply treated it as an unknown manual focus lens. I still use it and mainly manual focus anyway, and it still produces great images. The autofocus now comes and goes - sometimes it works, sometimes it sticks and locks up. Sometimes the camera can communicate, other times the lens is always listed as "105mm" on Lightroom at whatever focal length I use it at. The lens still has a permanent place in my bag.

I have used the lens quite a lot for stitched panoramas, although it's difficult ( nigh on impossible, really ) to establish just where the nodal point is anywhere in its focal range. The perspective of the image changes quite a bit when focus stacking ( focus breathing? ) but this hasn't caused me any major dramas yet when merging the focus stack. The focus motor is quick enough and fairly accurate using phase detect, but it isn't greased lightning in its speed.

The handling is nice enough, although the focusing ring can feel a little light and flimsy. The hood clicks into place nicely and is quick and easy to fit, and love-or-hate the older style of the lens cap it is super easy and quick to fit without looking ( it is very suprising how much of a difference these two minor issues can make ). Try this on the Samyang 24mm f1.4. After four attempts to get the lens cap on properly and multiple attempts reversing the lends hood to store it, the 28-105 is a breeze! The zoom ring is nice and big for grip, as it does feel like the lens is really fighting to extend and retract those barrel sections.

I haven't owned the 24-70mm, so I can't compare it to that lens. Having a bigger aperture would be nice for cloudy days when walking around. When I first got the lens I was suprised at how much I would sometimes have to crank up the ISO to get the shutter speed up when walking around as a tourist. Having 24mm on the wide end would be nice, but the lens would be much more expensive. I have also become quite fond of the 28mm focal length, and will often try and work with it rather than swap lenses.

Besides this, I still love this lens and will gladly defend its merits while acknowledging its short-comings. Overall for the money, it is fantastic.

Would I buy it again? The 24-70 does tempt me, as I use the longer end of the focal length a lot less than the wide and mid range. If I found a 24-70 at an absolute bargain price, I would probably go with that. Otherwise, I would buy the 28-105 again in a heart beat.

Edited for spelling.

Registered: July, 2017

Lens Review Date: August 19, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $496.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional quality for a lens of this class!
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I prefer high-quality primes lenses for most of my work but there are good reasons to keep a zoom lens such as this around. Of all the zoom lenses I’ve used with similar ranges (some priced several times higher that this one) , this lens really stands out and impresses me. It exceeded my expectations based on its specifications and price. Highly recommended!

Location: Utrecht

Lens Review Date: January 4, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, versatile zoom range, WR, IQ
Cons: For the price none..
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1ii and K-01

Came as a kit-lens with my K1ii. I doubted to go for the 24-70 but wisely did not. I do own several wider & brighter primes so I choose for the 28-105. This is a nice lens, weather resistant, very sharp one stop down and not too heavy. It also performs well on the K-01, it autofocusses nice too. I compared this lens with some primes, the A 28-135 and K 45-125. In the far corners and below F4.5 most primes do a better job for sharpness. But what is noticable this kit lens is very well controlled for abberations, even wide open. There are almost none...

See also: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-28-135mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html

and: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-45-125mm-F4-Zoom-Lens.html

and finaly: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/390869-som...-compared.html

Insanely humble

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway

Lens Review Date: December 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, versatile, and fairly small for what it is
Cons: Can struggle with infinity focus at 28mm

Even though I prefer primes for most situations this is one lens I would not be without. For me it is a splendid travel lens and bad weather lens for the K-1. It is fairly small for a full-frame lens with this zoom range. Most of the time I use it a bit stopped down, which means there is very little vignetting and the sharpness is very good. The bokeh is quite smooth despite the relatively slow apertures.

The main negative thing I have found is that it can struggle with acquiring focus at 28mm (with the K-1, at least). I sometimes have to hunt for contrasty edges to get focus to lock near infinity (but not at shorter range). At times I instead focus on something at half-distance (say 30m/100ft) which most often is good enough with the generous depth of focus at the wide end.

All in all this is by far the best "kit" zoom I have used. I include the quotation marks to indicate that this lens is a level or two above what is usually considered kit lens quality.

28mm f/8

Cabin wall and roof by -savoche-, on Flickr

105mm f/8
Protea by -savoche-, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2019
Lens Review Date: December 10, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, without being cheap, good for light travel. Reasonable sharp
Cons: Slow autofocus for street shooting (but accurate)
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K1

Good for general purpose.
Edit: total agree with #savoche above, focus quite hunt at 28mm sometime.

Registered: May, 2019
Location: Roma
Lens Review Date: October 2, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: LEGGERO E COMODO
Cons: APERTURA SCARSA
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: <pentax K1

E' UN OBIETTIVO MOLTO PRATICO E FUNZIONALE DA PORTARE IN VIAGGIO, IN ACCOPPIATA CON LA K1 RESTITUISCE OTTIME IMMAGINI. SCARSO IN CONDIZIONI DI POCA LUCE

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Finland

Lens Review Date: August 20, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, nice colors, WR, compact
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

I am positively surprised. This lens has a very good reputation but still exceeded my expectations for a good zoom lens. Perfect walk around and hiking lens.

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark

Lens Review Date: April 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $672.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Useful focal range
Cons: Not sharp enough, especially in the corners / sides
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I have 10 650 shots with this lense, so obviously it's a useful focal range. It's also weatherproof and reasonably priced.

But!

The sharpness is often disappointing, especially on wider focal ranges where you have really soft corners. You need very good conditions for this lens to shine.

I have some great shots with it and some shots that have good composition etc but still turned out to a lower quality than what I expected. The primes from Samyang are much better. The Pentax 100 mm macro wr is also a lot sharper.

Edit: I forgot to say! After 2 weeks I got a small dust hair inside the lens, which is not impressive for a WR lens.

Registered: January, 2019
Location: Geelong, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, FF lens, WR seal, Fast Autofocus
Cons: Weight, Focus searching.

My favorite zoom. I don't need primes when this lens is 95% as good. I love using this on APSC as the pics always have great clarity. My main walk-around lens.
I can not find a difference in sharpness when comparing to my Tamron 90mm SP Di AF Macro which I consider to be extremely sharp.
I highly recommend this lens.

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Quebec City, Quebec

Lens Review Date: March 3, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $327.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens for landscapes. VERY SHARP starting @ f/6.3 with an optimum @ f/11 at all focal lengths. Great contrast and colors.
Cons: None really.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K1, K3 (lower 4)

The magnificent performance of this DFA lens never ceases to amaze me ! For landscapes, you hardly need any other lens.

Registered: August, 2017

Lens Review Date: December 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Sharpness, Price, WR
Cons: Value
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 6    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K1

One of the best low-budget standart zooms I ever used. On my K1 its amazing sharp. Colours look nice and even bokeh is fine. For this price, I cant say anything negative. The only little malus is the build quality - its plastic. But for this price you cant expect more.

If you are looking for a lens to work in a reliable way, this is youre choice. If you want an exciting one, maybe not.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs.

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $496.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, compact and sturdy, consistent performance across frame on APS-C, Quick-Shift, coatings, DC motor
Cons: plastic build, focal range can be awkward for some users
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3

Back in the day when everyone saw only in black&white, the 35-135mm zoom was a great compromise between bulk and focal range. Same with this lens. The 35mm equivalent is 42-157mm but with performance using the latest technologies. This lens is engineered for full frame resolution and that performance works well on the 24 mp APS-C's with "sweet-spot" consistent resolution, aberrations, coma, vignetting, etc across the whole APS-C frame.

Of course, it is not as good as primes. But now with software and optional pixel-shifting, one can use this consistently-above-average-performing lens when doing software enhancements without worrying about over-sharpening one area more than another (with its ugly crystallizing appearance - have you seen old movies redone digitally and oversharpened - yuck!). Simple to automate with scripts and you know what you are going to get as file output.

It is not a perfect lens. But for me, it is a perfect "35-135" equivalent zoom with greater performance than any of those older lenses. The normal - mid telephoto range can be awkward if you are used to Super Zooms that cover 18-200mm but only have average performance. This lens beats all of those within its range. And if I really wanted a zoom with reach, I would use a (heavy, bulky) 70-200mm.

I have also learned that I do not like a nominal wide angle zoom. I find 16mm on APS-C to be too narrow at times. I really want to PLAY in that space much more when I have in mind (perceive) a series of shots made at wide angle. So, paired with this lens and, say, the 12-24mm, I find I have a perfect combo that lets me play in the space I want at the wide end and then switch back to normal-telephoto mode. The 28mm setting on this lens also lets my feet do some of the "zooming" if I have to move back a little.

This is just a handheld unprocessed photo (and only an inferior screenshot!). The software-processed one will look much better.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Lens Review Date: August 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ for the money, relatively compact, rugged and WR, low CA and low flare, nice colours, useful FF focal range
Cons: Fairly slow, distortion, viginetting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

Price is higher because its from a local NZ supplier and so includes taxes etc.

Love this lens for its its relatively compact size and excellent performance to cost ratio. Its in my bag most of the time - especially when travelling fairly light. Very happy with the images it delivers - in fact in terms of sharpness its pretty close to many of my old FA primes.
Bokeh is respectable too although limited a bit by max aperture.

Even more useful when travelling as its not too big or heavy.

Samples:

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Lens Review Date: August 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, sharpness, wr
Cons: Would have been nicer for it to have been a few mm wider
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1

If you own a K-1, you need this lens. I've had not problems trusting it to some critical photo shoots - ones that were possibly once in a lifetime opportunities. It feels like a lens that should cost 2x or 3x as much as it does. For hiking, general nature photography, and other outdoor photography this is a must have.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!