Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Review RSS Feed

7.7
39 237,623 Mon March 8, 2021

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

The HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm zoom was presented at Photokina 2014 and is expected to ship in November of 2014.

This zoom represents an upgrade from the 18-55mm kit lens being wider as well as having a longer reach and adding to that silent autofocus thanks to a built-in DC autofocus motor.

The lens is weather resistant.

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Automatic, 7 blades (rounded)
KAF3

PH-RBA 72 mm
O-LC72
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
2014 to present (in production)
HD PENTAX-DA 1:3.5-5.6 16-85mm ED DC WR
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
☆☆☆ No coverage at any setting
Show details
Three aspherical elements and one ED glass element.
No autofocus on older bodies (*istD series, K100D, K110D, and film).

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 39

Registered: July, 2015
Location: Otis Orchards, WA, USA
Lens Review Date: March 8, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Feels sturdy, well built, smooth tight zoom movement, improvement over the kit lens 18-135
Cons: Non so far
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

I really liked my kit lens (18-135), but decided to get this lens for better sharpness along with a wider range. The 5.6 and higher aperture seems to be the sharpest range. This will be my walk around lens while my limited 35mm will be my go to lens for better quality, and closeup photos. These are some of my first shots, hand held, just around my house.

[IMG]]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/95899/large/1_IMGP4316.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/95899/large/1_IMGP4393.JPG[/IMG]

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Pennsylvania

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Focal length range, WR, color rendition
Cons: Unreliable AF, Jumping Image Syndrome
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3, KP

I really want to love this lens, however the longer I use it, the more aggravating it becomes. The 16-85mm focal length is perfect for a walk around lens. Zoom and manual focus actions are smooth and precise. Distortion is well controlled as is chromatic aberration and colors are accurate and saturated.

The issues with my copy of this highly rated lens are threefold and echo the comments of another reviewer, plus several posts in the forum. First, even when using my KP with its up to date AF system, the 16-85 blows focus badly at focal lengths from 16-35mm. Sometimes it nails it, other times it turns into a blurry mess. Second, the left side of the images recorded by my 16-85 are always visibly softer than the right, more so at the wide end. Decentering. Third, it has the very annoying “focus jumping” syndrome, especially in live view. I work fast and this lens forces me to pre-focus or manually focus much of the time. I’ve produced some very fine, memorable images with this lens. I’ve also lost what should have been easy-peasy photos because the lens hiccuped at the wrong time.

Even with the issues, the 16-85 is still visibly better than the18-135 on 24MP bodies. I didn’t see as big a gap when using my older K-5iis and its 16MP sensor. If you buy this lens, make sure you test it thoroughly so you don’t get stuck with a copy with issues!

Registered: October, 2018
Lens Review Date: January 23, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Weather sealed, wide angle, quiet and quick autofocus
Cons: Build quality, issues at the wide end
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K70 KP

My copy of this lens is a frustrating one. It is capable of producing fantastic images, with excellent sharpness and colours. Couple this with the weather sealing and the lovely smooth zoom action it is a very versatile and often used lens. On the other hand it can let me down badly, with missed autofocus from 16mm to around 24mm a common occurrence and the left hand side of images can be unacceptably blurry at these focal lengths. Zoomed beyond 35mm the lens is flawless. I guess my copy is decentered, and it has been 'fixed' under warranty, but the problem persists.
This lens is excellent for landscape photography, and manually focused with a tripod fixes many of my issues with the 16-85. You get a strange shifting/jumping of the image when zoomed in on live view, not a big deal and you get used to it. Please don't be put off by my review as I am sure that my copy is the issue. Just check it out at all zoom ranges, particularly the wide end!

Registered: December, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: autofocus, sharpness, overall IQ, WR
Cons: aperture starts at 3,5 (but is it really disadvantage?), price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3 II

This lense did not attract my attention with its specification, especially the aperture span between 3,5 and 5,6 seems to be very mediocre compared to other producers like Sigma. But while Sigma or Tamron provide usually softer images, and they need to stop down two or three steps to get sharpness even in the center, this pentax lense gets sharp enough in the center even on lowest aperture possible! Sharpness is really surprising, and can be easily compared to some prime lenses. So is the aperture value starting at F3,5 a reall disadvantage??? I dont think so!

First of all, my piece (could be different with others) is very strong in autofocus even in lower light conditions. Smooth, silent, fast enough, perfect grab for the first time, no hesitations nor small corrections. Very nice feel of it indeed! It feels like the lense is pumped-up for it!

If you stop down to F5 or F8 you get the maximum of this lense in over all image quality, sharpness, and reducing vignette and chromatic aberations. Also the best results are when you zoom to 21 mm or higher, and you dont go to full 85 mm length.

If i compared the sharpness to some "arty" prime lenses, in what cathegory this zoom pentax lense cannot compete with them is definitely a rather boring and standard bokeh. But hey, with lenses you cannot have all in it. Average bokeh is a trade-off for overall perfect performance in terms of sharpness and focal length span.

New piece coming for 650 dollars seems too expensive for me. But i guess you pay more for weather resistance.

Perfect lense which surprised me really a lot. I can recommend getting it, but try what you are buying, some pieces may be weaker than mine.

Registered: March, 2016
Location: British Columbia

Lens Review Date: July 8, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, wide, little if any vignette
Cons: None for the price point.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 3    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-50

Worth it over the cheaper 18-135. I wanted another ‘walk around’ lens having two bodies and one 18-135 lens already. Used (barely used by the look of it), this lens was on par with the cost of an 18-135 new. The 16-85 is noticeably sharper across the frame and vignettes much less which makes it nicer for stitching panoramas. I was actually shocked at the fact the difference was noticeable even through my trifocals! Not that the 18-135 is a bad lens, but I do see enough difference it makes me smile when editing. The wider end is also surprisingly useful. I pair the 16-85 with a 55-300 when I’m shooting landscapes and could not be happier with the cost to performance ratio in this pairing. Even at full price, I don’t think the 16-85 is unjustified over its slightly longer reaching sibling. The 18-135 is still my go-to for urban exploring or general use when you don’t know what you might come across.

Registered: November, 2018
Location: Tokyo
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Focal range, WR, AF
Cons: size, weight
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KP

Really gave me the freedom to take photos in various situation thus best fit for traveling. The image quality is way better than other zoom lenses that I have used and only after the Limiteds. Although I sold it to fund the 20-40mm due to its size and weight, it is really a recommended lens.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Southern Finland

Lens Review Date: February 13, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile, sharp, reliable
Cons: size of hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5, K-3

After two years of frequent usage (K-5, K-3) I am very happy with this lens. Sharpness is generally very good at all focal lengths. I also like the colors and contrast it produces (raw shooting mainly). The range 16 - 85 mm is very versatile making this a brilliant walk-around lens and travel lens. Being a zoom lens, of course, it is not very fast, but in low-light situations I do not hesitate to use it wide open. That is not the case with any other lens with somewhat similar specs.

DC autofocus has very seldom let me down, and in those dark low-contrast situations, I wonder if any autofocus mechanism would be 100 % reliable.

Size of the hood is the only negative aspect for me, yet not critical. (You get used to it.) Well, maybe the 72 mm filter size is another, but just because I used to have lenses with 67 mm filters earlier.

I bought my copy of this lens new, and would not say it was cheap. But it has been worth the money.

Registered: October, 2017
Location: Sale, Cheshire
Lens Review Date: September 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, build quality (including WR),
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

A superb lens that is as sharp as a good prime lens throughout it's zoom range (when shooting in RAW and sharpening appropriately), with excellent contrast. The lens is extremely competent, well built, and versatile, from wide angle views to landscapes, portraits and an excellent close-up lens at 85mm. At 16mm a little CA can be seen in extreme contrast conditions (removed with software), but otherwise CA is very well controlled.
The review of this lens (particularly the outstanding MTF resolution graphs) on the 'Ephotozine' website illustrates how good this lens is.
The AF is quick and very accurate and consistent, performing well into almost darkness with the K-3.
This is now my everyday lens which consistently gives excellent results, with consistent performance across the lens.
This is my 1st choice lens for camera club competition entries.
Due to its excellent performance, versatility, and weather resistance I would be loath to part with this lens.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Százhalombatta, Hungary
Lens Review Date: July 13, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $692.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, colors, sharpness at wide end, fast and quiet focusing
Cons: Less useful near 85mm, variations in quality
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

I personally found this lens to be a little bit overrated. Not that it's bad or anything, but I feel it just gets more credit than it reserves. It deserves a very solid 8/10 I think. Even 8,5 perhaps. But no more than that! Perhaps I got a weaker copy, god only knows. But mine isn't so super sharp as others' seem, even after a thorough calibration. For example my copy is noticeably weaker on the right side of the picture and on the 85mm end is pretty soft. However, at the 16mm end I find it quite satisfying in the sharpness department. The DC motor autofocus is near-silent and is super fast when using the viewfinder. The quick-shift focusing ring doesn't have a hard-stop as screwdrive lenses do. The build quality is excellent as are the aesthetic parts of it. The colors are typical pentax: excellent contrast, superb flare control. The HD coating does an excellent job indeed. Compare it to the KIT lenses and it shines, just don't compare it to primes, or you'll be let down. But then again: this lens is neither professional, nor a prime. This is a versatile zoom with it's strengths and weaknesses. Excellent for a general walk around lens, for traveling, to always keep on your camera. And if you need proper bokeh, you can always just swap to a prime. Due to the rounded aperture blades, you can forget nice starbursts when stopped down at night, but in return you get a smoother bokeh.

Pier (made using a CPL filter!)
by Zsigmond Szabó, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2018
Location: Hérouville Saint Clair, Normandy, France
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, quiet, weather resistant, range
Cons: Slightly wobbly when extended
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: KP

Very good all-purpose lens.
Crisp images, low CA.
Quiet zoom.
I had the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary, this one has the same image quality and bonus : weather resistant !

Use it in good light conditions.

Another forum user wrote this, and it is true :
"It's essentially a kit lens on steroids"

Registered: December, 2013
Lens Review Date: June 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, convenient, good AF, WR
Cons: Quite big with hood attached, distortion
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k70

The focal range is just fantastically convenient. If I need to go away with just one lens, I know it will work in most situations. I was using an 18-135mm, but I tended to not use it much past 100mm anyway, as the sharpness would drop off a bit. I also find the extra 2mm at the wide end useful.

It's a workhorse lens.

The sharpness is very reliable. I have sharper primes, but they are primes. The AF is not blindingly fast, but there is no hunting, it's accurate, and it's quiet. There is a fair bit of wonky distortion at the wide end, but that mostly disappears by 20mm or so.

If I have a criticism, it's that it can lack a tiny little bit of....err....something. Don't get me wrong I have taken some lovely shots with it. It can give fantastic detailed landscapes with really convincing greens. The 18-135 is definitely softer, and you have to shoot over f8 between 25mm-100mm to get anything like the image quality. But I felt my 18-135 was sometimes a bit punchier, and my 20-40mm definitely has more prime-like 3D depth. If my composition and lighting are right, the images are great, but I feel like the magic comes from the vision rather than the lens. Maybe that's what you get with a well corrected, consistent, modern style zoom, and maybe it's a good thing...?

Update;
Having looked back through some shots, there is definitely a drab 2D look which is very obvious, and tends to happen at the wide end in flat light. I might experiment with using generally a slightly wider aperture at the wide end and see if this helps. Certainly mid to long focal lengths seem to have much more pop, and scenes with more beautiful light will work well throughout the range.

Registered: December, 2015
Location: California

Lens Review Date: January 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $447.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautiful color
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

I bought this as a travel lens, though it is heavier than I would prefer. The picture quality is amazing. It is as good or better than my 21mm prime and much better than my 35mm 2.4 prime. The focal range is a lot more versatile. I still use my 21mm when I want to carry something lighter. But for the weight, I would sell the 21mm and just use the 16-85.To show the color and clarity, I'm attaching a JPEGs that is straight out-of camera, at 16mm, with no processing.
As for the lens being "slow", I am attaching a second, straight-out-of camera unprocessed JPEG taken inside a relatively dark museum (Ufizzi) with no flash, at ISO 1600 on a K-50.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent range, sharp wide open, great colours & exposure, weather resistant, decent build quality
Cons: Too slow, very expensive for a slow zoom, occasional focus glitches
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I wanted a weather resistant lens better than the 18-55mm kit for a long time and there were four options: (1) the DA* 16-50mm, (2) the DA 18-135mm, (3) the DA 20-40mm limited or (4) the DA 16-85mm. The first was a definite 'no' due to the SDM motor failure, cost and reputed poor IQ, and the limited, though it appeals to me a lot, is also expensive and very rare on the used market, so it came down to the two slower options. From reading reviews it seems that the 16-85mm is optically superior to the 18-135mm so if you value IQ over range (I do) then the 16-85mm is the better bet, though it's more expensive.

I bought a very lightly used copy for €350 because a new copy was out of the question - far too expensive.

It was great to finally have a Pentax-branded lens with an in-lens focus motor, having bought a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 not long before which was my first lens for Pentax with a focus motor and spoiled me somewhat as almost all my AF lenses are screwdrive. Handling is great and the lens is solid enough without being heavy.

Compared to the 18-55mm WR kit lens, the 16-85mm is much better in terms of IQ - sharpness, contrast, colour - and this was mainly what I'd been looking for in this lens, to get better results in adverse conditions. The additional range at both end is also very welcome and useful. I really, really wish I'd bought this a year earlier as I'd had several trips where WR was essential and I had to rely just on the kit lens.

The lens is sharp across most of the frame wide open, with some softness at the borders especially at the wide end, but nothing too bad. Stop down and this is reduced to being virtually unnoticeable. Colour, contrast, flare resistance are all great and exposure seems much more accurate than with many other lenses. To sum-up: the image quality is superb in all aspects.

As the lens is slow it's not ideal for isolating a subject and blurring background and/or foreground, but it can be done in the right conditions.

On the negative side the only major problem I've had with the lens is an inability to focus sometimes. This happens primarily at the wide end (surprisingly, as this is where it lets in most light) - the image seems to jerk in the viewfinder and when it finally indicates a focus lock it's often mis-focsed, sometimes so much so that it's visible in the viewfinder of my K-3. This even happens in very good light and the only solution is to use live-view focusing. It's an annoying tendency which spoiled some earlier photos until I got into the habit of performing a quick focus check on the rear screen after each shot. At the long end this never happens, though the lens may struggle to focus as there's less light getting in at f/5.6 (but this is normal).

The image movement in the viewfinder when it's trying to focus is not limited to my copy - several users have found the same behaviour in their copies and have discussed it in the forums.

As a minor complaint, the lens loses sharpness when focusing very close.

The only other negative aspect is the price. This lens, especially when bought new, is far too expensive for a slow zoom, even if it is sharp wide open. I can't help but feel that it should cost at least €100 less (new) or the aperture should be something more respectable such as 3.5-4.5.

Due to these negative aspects of the lens, which are considerable, I can't give the lens better than 8/10 overall, though if I were to judge it purely on the image quality without taking into account the negative aspects, it'd be a 9 or 9.5/10.

The lens makes a very good walk-around for use in good light, especially when conditions may be adverse, but it's no substitute for a 17-50mm f/2.8 or an f/2.8 or faster prime, for giving flexibility in varied light conditions and the ability to isolate a subject.

Some sample pics:

Asturias
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

This one's a stitched panorama:

Panorama 6a

Night lights

Copenhagen

Lone yellow jacket

Registered: February, 2018
Lens Review Date: September 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Vallue For Money
Cons: Very few
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3ii

Excellent lens for the money. Really sharp, the go-to walk around lens in so many circumstances. If you wanted to take all my lenses away apart from one, this would probably be the one I'd choose, as it's so versatile. Really light for the range and quality and handles really well. The AF is swift and silent. Difficult to find a negative, especially at the price!

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Gislev

Lens Review Date: August 22, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Ergonomics
Cons: Big, Double Cam Construction

An underrated Pentax Gem.

Up front: If you are looking for a lens this type for your Pentax Camera, GET IT! It will not let you down!

Pro: These days I don't bother hauling my Nikon D810 and its 24mm F1.4 around for anything at all. Why? Because this zoom on the K-3 II delivers photos on par with the pro Nikon full frame.

So I do recommend this lens highly!

To quote a review:
"It is an impressive lens which is easily as good if not better than similar offerings from Canon or Nikon. It is capable of producing surprisingly crisp and sharp images especially at medium aperture settings and the fairly low CAs contribute to the high quality perception.
...
The build quality is also on a high level with tight tolerances - that's despite the duo cam design (two inner lens tubes). Thanks to high quality plastics and nicely rubberized and smooth control rings, it's a joy to handle the lens out there. Some users may complain about the comparatively long size of the lens. While true you should keep in mind that there's surely a correlation to the high image quality here - big is simply often beautiful really. ..."

Weather and Dust-protection is a great thing to have, too. The autofocus is good and silent - but not blazingly fast.

I miss a focus scale, though.

It's a type of lens, I probably wouldn't buy, if it hadn't been part of the K-3 II-kit: I'm a prime lens-photographer.
And although the duo cam design works perfectly and with absolutely no wobble, it does make me uncomfortable ...

But then, there's the quality of the lens: Every time I look at the photos I make with it, i'm astonished at just how good and wonderful, they are - they are damned good. And I have to tell myself that I'm fortunate to have this lens and be a Pentax-user.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!