Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Review RSS Feed

44 190,697 Sat September 7, 2019

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR

The HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR is the first zoom lens to join the Pentax lineup of ultra-compact "limited" lenses. This lens features a sleek all-metal barrel manufactured to very high standards.

This is also the first Limited series lens to feature silent DC autofocus as well as a weather-sealed design. Like the other HD Limited lenses, this lens features Pentax's latest lens coating promising less ghosting and flare.

As is standard for all premium Pentax lenses, this lens allows for full-time manual focus adjustments (Quick shift) and it is treated with Pentax's Super Protect coating to protect the front element from dust and scratches

The lens covers a wide-angle to normal focal length range, and is compatible with Pentax APS-C DSLRs. It will be available in both black and silver in December, 2013 for $999.

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Automatic, 9 blades (rounded)
KAF3

Soft pouch P70-150
Metal push-on O-LW65A
HD,SP
Yes (WR)
71 x 68.5 mm (2.8 x 2.7 in.)
283 g (10 oz.)
2013 to present (in production)
HD PENTAX-DA 1:2.8-4 20-40mm ED Limited DC WR
23000 (black), 23010 (silver)
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★★☆ Full coverage at some F-stop and focal length combinations
Show details
One aspherical element, one ED and one extra-low dispersion element.
No autofocus on older bodies (*istD series, K100D, K110D, and film).

Black and silver

Supersonic AutofocusQuick ShiftWeather SealedAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital Only
Purchase: Buy the HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR
In-Depth Review: Read our HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR in-depth review!

Add Review of HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Buy the HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 44

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: September 7, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light and Brilliant.....
Cons: N/A
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K70 and K-S1

I have three camera system, Full frame Nikon D810 with many great Nikon and 3rd party lenses, Medium Format Pentax 645z, also with some great FA and D-FA lenses. My third system is Pentax APS-C, a K70 and K-S1....

For me, out of all these systems and lenses, this HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited is at the top of my list. Never does it come off either one of the APS-C bodies.
Its always a pleasure to use and shoot with, its light and focuses fast and never misses focus for me. It has this look and feel, some have said it pops, in a way yeah it makes things pop out, sorter 3D sorter way. Its sharp, even wide open, both and 20mm , 40mm and everywhere in between.....

I don't have a single negative to add to this lens.....

If Pentax made a lens like this primarily for the FF K-1, id sell my Nikon system and get a K1.......

Its Brilliant.... Its Beautiful...... and for me its the best.....

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: June 8, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 3d, great handling, WR
Cons: AF, limited zoom range.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K70

This zoom looks and feels great to use. I love having the Limited look and feel with added Weather Resistance, although it is quite a bit more chunky than a Limited prime. The AF on my k70 struggles to lock sometimes, oddly just like my 35mm Limited. Might be better on a different camera.

The zoom range feels slightly short. I have been using the 16-85 which is a very convenient range, and before that an 18-135 which is suppose you'd call a super zoom, so maybe if you are coming from 18-50 it won't seem too bad. It actually encourages me to use my wonderful 55-300plm and some nice telephoto primes more often, although that means carrying extra gear. I do use it as a one lens walk about option, and honestly it's fine, but I do sometimes miss a bit of extra reach. If you tend towards shooting at the wide end you may well find it's perfect.

It's good indoors, where the wider end offers a fairly fast aperture.

The colours are typical Limited. The sharpness is very good. Sharpness is a weird thing, it sometimes doesn't look as crisp as some lenses, with quite a smooth buttery look. However, if you pixel peep, there is actually plenty of detail. It's a bit like some vintage lenses in that respect, but I think that HD coating gives slightly more modern looking saturated colours.

By comparison the 16-85 is certainly quite crisp looking, with that fantastic super-handy focal range, and the AF is better. I can use a smaller bag for the 20-40, but where it really wins is with the sense of 3D depth. Some shots, even at f11, look like you can reach into the picture. It's classic Pentax through and through. It could simply be due to a relatively low number of elements? It's a bit like having a couple of Takumars in one, but with AF, weather sealing and all the other mod cons. It even looks like a Tak on steroids! I don't think it's just a coincidence, there is a retro vibe inside and out.

The 16-85 is convenient, and very competent. The 20-40 just has a slight touch of magic.

Registered: April, 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ

Lens Review Date: May 14, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything - size, color, contrast, sharpness, focusing
Cons: none.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01

I am in love with this lens!! I used to think lenses cannot make much differences in pictures taken with F/8.0+ on a sunny day (only the photographer does). Now I realize this lens actually makes differences. Pictures are so sharp and contrasty with this lens, I can almost recognize pictures taken with this lens without looking at the meta data. Too bad there is no DFA limited 30-60 for my K-1. My K-1 is in crop mode most of the time now.. and my K-01 is busy again. Whats the point of swapping lenses if a zoom is this good....

Registered: October, 2009
Location: Montreal (Quebec)

Lens Review Date: October 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colour Signature, CA Control, Sharpness, Useful Focal Range, Built Quality, Quiet AF, SMALL!
Cons: Would LOVE a bit Wider, with a Fixed 2.8 Aperture
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

In spite of its high price tag, and a somewhat limited production, this "HD Pentax DA 20-40mm" by Ricoh luckily ended up in my camera bag alongside an ageless K-3; it has quickly become one of my favourite normal zoom lenses ever!

Perhaps not the sharpest in theory versus the sharpest primes, nor with the broadest focal range either... Yet this tiny gem offers a sweet window of opportunity to travelers on APS-C sensor, for in practice things get mesmerizing as soon as the fireworks start dazzling:

A strickingly BRIGHT & CLEAR glass design; an especially RICH & VIBRANT color signature; a GENEROUS viewpoint refreshingly free from some of the most dreaded optical aberrations; a relatively FAST & QUIET, PRECISE AF too! All of these valued qualities in a STURDY, COMPACT retro-looking format.

An unduly under-explored PENTAX-Mount ASSET!

Registered: April, 2014

Lens Review Date: September 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $980.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, cool design, light, bokeh, wr, nice zoom range
Cons: lens cap, metallic coating material
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax kp/k30

I needed a good-quality and light travel zoom to replace the DA 18-55mm wr. Therefore, I bought this lens which is very versatile despite the limited zoom range: 20 mm is ok for landscape photography, 35 mm is the typical normal focal lenght, 40 mm although not optimal, it's good for close-up and portraits.
The lens is very light and it's easy to handle with the KP. It's sufficiently sharp for my needs and the bokeh is also very pleasant. I didn't notice any CA or fringing.
Autofocus is silent and precise, but no so fast.

For me, the only drawabacks of this lens are: i) the cap, which falls easily; and ii) the black coating material of the knurled part of the lens that tends to get damaged.
Below a couple of photos taken with the K30.

Location: Manila, Philippines

Lens Review Date: June 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: WR, metal build, retro design, surprisingly light
Cons: slow to focus, so-so sharpness, expensive

Let me begin by saying that I have tried all the DA limited lenses before I got this lens. My most favorite is the DA 21, followed by the DA 70 and the HD35 if you want super sharp images.

I bought this lens simply because of its the WR claim plus the rendering of a limited lens and the focal length is very ideal for my use as I really want a WR travel camera set up. Truly that the lens is light and a joy to hold because of the retro design and it is very light. The AF is silent but not that fast (maybe more on the slow side for me). The images that it produces are good but not that great as the 21 / 35 / 70. At 20 mm the HD 20-40 is sharp wide open but the 40mm f4 it is not. The color rendering, micro contrast is very nice and really punches as well as the micro contrast.

I think the lens should only cost about $500 brand new

If you plan get this lens and think that you can replace your existing 21/35 limited lenses, you might get frustrated as the primes produce better IQ overall. But if you want a small lens that is WR, silent, sexy and passable IQ during travel, this can do the job.

Registered: May, 2018

Lens Review Date: May 4, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great for everyday usage and travel. Fast focus, razor sharp and beautiful colors.
Cons: I think that f4 on 40mm is a small problem, cons 2.8 will be better.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: KP

This lens is absolutely great for everyday usage and travel. Fast focus, razor sharp and beautiful colors. Before this lens, I use Tamron 17-50 2.8, and when first shot on DA 20-40 was being taken, I don't believe my eyes. Supper Color, absolutely great build quality and DC focusing. WR feature gives me freedom when going in mountains. Multicoating working well in all situations.

Registered: July, 2016
Location: Alps

Lens Review Date: April 29, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $530.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Compactness, limited handling, rendition
Cons: AF
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3 II

Great lens, typical limited rendition / handling, a bit big for a Ltd though - but still really compact for a zoom with this specs, definitely lightweight.

After hesitating for a while for which normal prime I wanted, I ended choosing this Ltd zoom...
31 Ltd was a long time wish but so expensive. I owned the DA 35 but was not impressed and didn't like the cheap plastic feel. The FA 35 was going to be a bit similar. The Ltd 35 was almost my choice but the endless macro focus ring didn't appeal me. The Sigma Art 30 is just too big for my taste - compactness I value most over max aperture & bokeh (for my "art-ish" bokeh captures I use the M 50/1.4).
I already own a M 28/2 that's quite good but no AF, and the Sigma 17-50/2.8 which is bigger and heavier, doesn't have the Ltd handling and rendition, but a much better AF and zoom range, which is my choice when I need to be more reactive and versatile.

In the end I consider it an "adjustable prime" -zoom range absolutely not an issue- and it fits perfectly for my use : a high quality normal field of view with superb contrast and colors, and compactness. AF is quite slow and hunting so think about it for what you intend to use it. Sharpness is impressive and so is the bokeh (close-ups) considering the slow aperture.

Example @40mm F/4 ISO100 with K-3 II :

100% crop :

It fits well in a compact/quality kit, consisting of the additional Ltd 15 and PLM 55-300 (relative quality compared to Ltd's but still!) - and eventually M 50/1.4.

Registered: October, 2017

Lens Review Date: March 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Rendering and colours, bokeh, low aberrations and flare, beautiful design and build.
Cons: Not terribly sharp nor fast, some distortion at 20mm
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-S2

Yes, is not that sharp until stopped down.
Yes, is f2.8 only between 20 and 25mm.
Yes, there is some distortion at 20mm.

But I couldn't care less, even if it's a bit expensive. It renders beautifully, reproduce gorgeous colours and has that limited's pixie dust magic....plus really nice bokeh, specially for a not so fast zoom.
It is lightweight, compact, weather sealed, silent focusing, has fantastic build quality, handling and tactile feedback from the focusing and zoom ring.
And oh my, it's a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL lens...a Pentax limited with Takumar breed, without superfluous switches or rubber rings.

A must buy if you have other limiteds (I've 15 and 35 macro) IMHO, and a worthy addition to your lens lineup, if you don't.

Location: Norfolk

Lens Review Date: March 16, 2018 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: 6

Pros: Superb build, nice handling, good balance on hefty K-3
Cons: IQ at wide end (20~30) frankly poor. Weird hood probably not much use.
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 3    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

Found an 'as new' copy from a highy reputable dealer but returned it. Using my K-3 this lens was very soft at 20mm and 30mm zoom settings unless stopped down to at least f5.6, so I did some careful indoor comparison shots against the 18~55 version II kit lens and an old 18~35 FA-J from the film era. These two budget lenses easily out-performed the 20~40 'Limited' at the wide end. That's not how it is supposed to be.

A big price for mediocre performance and not worthy of the 'Limited' tag, in my opinion. Possibly unlucky to be landed with a rogue copy, but that's enough to put me off searching for another one. A real pity, as it's beautifully engineered and great to handle. Judging by this experience and some other comments Ricoh maybe have a quality control issue here.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario

Lens Review Date: February 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, pleasing color rendition, light weight and WR
Cons: mild distortion at wide-end but easily corrected
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-1 and K-3

I bought this lens in Japan, it was in 'best' used condition category. I used this lens exclusively on the k-3 until I bought the k-1 last year. I consider this lens a perfect walk-around lens for street photography because of the focal lengths that suits my shooting style. I also find this to be suitable for 'event' photography especially when I can get close to the subject (performer). I am really happy with the pleasing tonal range and lively characteristic images I get from this lens. Although this lens is designed for the cropped sensor, it is completely usable on the k-1 FF camera with some vignetting to be expected at the wide-end. I wish there is DFA version of this lens with similar specs so I can fully utilize it on my k-1 without worrying about vignetting. Here is an example of the image I got from a recent event (shot at 1/200 f4 iso1000)

Registered: June, 2015
Location: South West UK

Lens Review Date: January 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $580.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pixie dust, WR, fast quiet AF, small and lightweight, great IQ
Cons: Bit slow, expensive at full retail price
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3II

I have only had this lens a few weeks, after picking it up at an excellent discount in a black friday event. Right from opening the box and taking the first images, I was in love. The lens feels very well made and solid, yet at the same time lightweight and compact. The lens pouch is a nice, if superfluous inclusion, since I can't see it spending much time off my K-3II. The zoom ring falls nicely to hand, as does the focus ring. The focus scale is a nice touch and rare on a lens these days. All in all it handles beautifully on the camera.

The FL range for me is spot on my sweet spot for walkaround landscape, street and detail shooting. Makes a passable portrait length too on APSC, but its biggest weakness shows up here - it's rather slow. f/2.8 is only available at 20mm and you're limited to a paltry f/4 at 40mm. This is the trade off for the lightweight design, but it does feel limiting in some circumstances, particulary if you're trying to provoke some bokeh. However, it is possible if you try, and it is rather pleasing when it appears.

AF is excellent with its DC motor, both fast and quiet. But here again the lens speed means you may struggle to get a lock in low light. WR is an added bonus and was one of the main reasons for my purchasing this particular Limited over one of the primes, since I spend a lot of time on the beach and rather enjoy a rainy day.

In terms of IQ, it is not without its flaws. There is noticeable distortion at the wide end, but perfectly correctable in LR using lens profiles (and probably in camera too). There is also a slight softness in the corners, possibly more down to field curvature than anything else. Nothing major and not unheard of in wide-ish lenses and zooms, but worth knowing if you expect clinical sharpness across the frame.

All this said, despite (or possibly because) of its flaws there is a certain quality to the images, the famous pixie-dust, that is not easily described, but gives them a quality all their own. Almost all of the images I have taken, even the most hum-drum snaps, have a pop to them, and a colour rendition that none of my other lenses have. It makes exquisite mono images too. Away from the extremes, it has perfectly acceptable sharpness, and contrast. CA is almost non-existent and flare is very well handled, in fact shooting into the sun creates some of its most stunning images.

Since putting this lens on my camera I already feel no more need for my Tammy 28-75, despite losing out on the constant f/2.8 and the longer reach, thanks to the pixie dust and the huge reduction in weight. The Samyang 16mm now feels clunky, oversized and hard work with its manual focus. The Pentax 18-55 is going straight on ebay - it's a good lens, but not remotely in the same league. The only lens I will be keeping in this general range now is the Sigma 50mm macro and the Lensbaby Velvet for their specialities, and the 70-200 for its incomparable reach and boceh-liciousness for portraits and nearby wildlife.

This lens has stolen my heart. I only wish I'd had it sooner. The one and only reason I hadn't was the hard-to-swallow price. But a 30% discount made that problem go away for me and now that I have it in my hands, I feel I got a hell of a bargain.

I had to mark sharpness and bokeh down because of its weakness in the corners and slow aperture, and value because at full price you might assume it should be hewn from pure unicorn horn. I only wish there was a 'pixie dust' category, to make up for it...so I gave it an overall 9 to reflect this. If there was just a half a stop more speed, it would be a perfect 10 for me.

Location: Italy
Lens Review Date: October 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, no CA, build quality, IQ
Cons: shortness of zooming range

Stunning image quality. This lens deserves the Limited moniker. Everybody shooting a lot of pictures within the 20-40mm range can't go wrong buying one of these marvels; it's expensive - no doubt about it - but its image and build quality make it worth to acquire it. The absence of CA is remarkable, in terms of optical quality this is one of the best lenses I have ever had.
My only regret is that already at 25mm you have a 3.5 lens, so I wonder if it would have been better a fixed f4 lens with a slightly extended zoom range.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: California

Lens Review Date: September 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, WR, light weight, build quality, flare resistance, lack of CA
Cons: focus is not super fast, and sometimes inconsistent, vignetting at 40mm
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 II

One thing about upgrading to the K3 is that it really shows you how sharp your lenses are (or aren't!). Anyway, one of my film era zooms was really soft at the edges on the wide end, and having sold my DA 21 limited to help purchase the K3 II, I had nothing that could deliver the goods between my DA 15mm and my DA 40mm limiteds. Also, I was looking for a general purpose zoom.

I was leaning toward the DA 16-85mm or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I had initially discounted the DA 20-40mm because of rather negative reviews and the high price. The DA 16-85mm was appealing for the range, WR, and good IQ, but is a bit slow at the long end, and a bit big and heavy. The Tamron is appealing for its f2.8 and good IQ, but no WR.

Trying to figure out what being limited to f5.6 at 85mm meant, I started looking at pics on the web from the DA16-85mm. I found many nice photos, but nothing that was really saying wow. Not very scientific, but still telling. While doing this I came across a number of shots from the DA 20-40mm that caught my eye. I found the reviews on this site that are generally positive, and full size images that were definitely sharp across the frame. That, along with the substantial price reduction this summer, made me reconsider this lens.

I am so glad that I did. I ended up ordering the 16-85 and the 20-40, with the intention of keeping one of them. I did a quick test to make sure neither were decentered or otherwise defective. I was mostly concerned with across the field sharpness at infinity, as that was what I was not getting with my film era zoom. Neither lens was obviously decentered, but the 20-40 was definitely a little sharper than the 16-85 across the 20-40 range. I wasn't expecting this. Sharp enough wide open, (much better at the deges than my DA 21mm f3,2 was) and razor at f5.6

My first outing was an overnight ski trip above Lake Tahoe to shoot panos of the Milky Way. Admittedly I used the 15mm for the star shots, but I got some beautiful sunsets with the 20-40mm. The rendering was definitely showing that limited quality, and shooting right into the sun is no issue with this lens. Sharp across the frame, no flare, no CA, great color. You got to love it! The next outing was in the High Sierra and I got the same results.

I tried some Miky Way shots, and I was disappointed that the combination of coma and sagittal astigmatism at f2.8 is quite bad. The good news is that is way better at f4. With the astrotracer, f4 is doable for the Milky Way.

My last outing was on the San Francisco bay shooting sailboat races. Once again, sharp and no flare. The wind really came up, and I was getting splashed frequently. It was really nice to be able to put the camera under the faucet at the end of the day to get the salt water off.

I am very happy with the lens, and I would recommmend it to anyone looking for a light, well made, good IQ lens in this focal range.

Here are some example shots:

The last two were using a polarizer.

Registered: September, 2016

Lens Review Date: September 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact,sharp,built quality,WR,Diaphragma,range,colors ...
Cons: none so far ( if you set the Sensor shift right )
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 Prestige Edition

I was searching for a better walk around lens than the Kit -
and I have a great collection of K,M,A and M42 Lenses , so I like the look
and the feel of it as much as the extraordinary quality of this lens !
You have to try it to say such things - and after setting the right Focus in my K3,
there is no doubt about the optical quality as well !
This is the right Lens I expected for my needs - lovely rounded Blades give a nice bokeh even at 20mm ;-) For more angel I take my 15mmLtd. or my 10-17mm fisheye with me ... It give a nostalgic feel in f2,8 and is extra sharp from 3,6 / 4 upwards - like also the 3D Rendition especially for HDR-Shots !
A quite good reason to stay with my lovely K3 Prestige Edition ...
Not cheap, but the output gives the answer !
Highly recommended !

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!